Menu

Pies, refrigerate??

Moxie

Pumpkin pies are custard pies, aren't they?

I mean cold custards like lemon or chocolate silk, with high raw egg or dairy bases that aren't cooked into a shell. My pumpkin recipes are high sugar and fairly low on the dairy, which makes a difference, along with needing a long to set up. I probably should have said pudding pies instead of custards, which tend to be baked :).

The sugar acts as a preservative which helps too. This isn't one where cream or raw eggs are folded in and left unbaked any further :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

This is the one time of the year that I love living in a cold climate. My mudroom is cold- and it's currently housing stuffed shells for tonight, peanut butter pie, pecan pie, homemade cranberry sauce, and will be the place the turkey is brined overnight. 

I prefer to keep pumpkin cold but pecan isn't an issue. 

• Like 2

I decided to make a Chocolate-Bourbon Pecan Pie (recipe from a friend). I asked friend how she stores her pie and she makes it the morning of and she says there are never any leftovers. I really want to make the pie tonight and everything I read online says pecan pie must be refrigerated due to the eggs. So confused now!!!

we always put the pumpkin in the 'fridge after it cools down a bit.  It tastes better chilled, and does have eggs and evaporated milk, hence a custard.  Pecan I leave out.  It too has eggs, but it is cooked, so like a cake that has eggs in it , or cookies - it can be left out.  But add in the amount of dairy you have to make a custard pie - that goes in the 'fridge.  I wouldn't leave a custard pudding out either.

Edited by JFSinIL

Pumpkin and pecan pies made. Do they need refrigerated? Please say no!

I can do better than saying no.

They need to NOT be refrigerated. Pie crust tastes much better at room temperature. At least good pie crust does.

I leave my meringue pies in a cool spot but not the fridge. Never the fridge.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2

I can do better than saying no.

They need to NOT be refrigerated. Pie crust tastes much better at room temperature. At least good pie crust does.

I leave my meringue pies in a cool spot but not the fridge. Never the fridge.

Oh man, not to mention that meringues are a magnet for fridge funk flavor too! Any off odors will end up molecularly bonded to that topping :p Edited by Arctic Mama

This is the one time of the year that I love living in a cold climate. My mudroom is cold- and it's currently housing stuffed shells for tonight, peanut butter pie, pecan pie, homemade cranberry sauce, and will be the place the turkey is brined overnight. 

I prefer to keep pumpkin cold but pecan isn't an issue. 

Coming from TX, I used to think my MIL was so weird for putting things out in the garage (outside her kitchen) on cold holidays where the fridge was too full. What was I thinking? :)

• Like 2

Foodsafety.gov says that pies made with eggs have to be refrigerated. This includes pumpkin, pecan, custard, and chiffon pies. https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/eggstorage.html

Auburn University says pecan pies may remain at room temperature. "Pecan pie is the exception, however—it may remain at room temperature. All other pies should be stored in the refrigerator or freezer."

https://aufsi.auburn.edu/thanksgiving/planning-your-feast/storing-leftovers/

Edited by RoughCollie
  • Like 1