Menu

Winter = Freezing Feet

HomeMum

I always have cold feet in the winter; fleece-lined slippers that encase the foot and go up around the ankle are what finally fixed that.

Also, you might get your iron levels checked. Cold hands and feet that I just could NOT get warm, along with suddenly having a spurt of rapid heartbeat (when sitting or laying down) were symptoms of low iron for me a few years back.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

material matters.

acrylic is not warm.

silk is warm

wool is warm

wool trail socks.

real sheepskin fleece slippers.  ones with a double layer of fleece and a thick insole will be warmer.

I had some fleece scuffs.  double layer over the toes.  my feet would get too warm.  my son ran off with them.  it wasn't as bad before his feet were bigger than mine and he could stretch them out.

Costco gets them in on their website this time of year.  their boots are a good deal too.  I replace the fleece insole every couple years or so- they're warm.

• Like 2

I always have cold feet in the winter; fleece-lined slippers that encase the foot and go up around the ankle are what finally fixed that.

Also, you might get your iron levels checked. Cold hands and feet that I just could NOT get warm, along with suddenly having a spurt of rapid heartbeat (when sitting or laying down) were symptoms of low iron for me a few years back.

for me,. that was hypothyroid.  my dr wouldn't increase my dose.  she didn't care.

My dd has cold hands and cold feet and has Raynaud's syndrome.  So, it could be that.  No cure or anything, but it could explain it!

Nevertheless, I don't have Raynaud's syndrome and I still get cold feet in the winter.  Fluffy socks are worthless.  They need to be wool.  Wool socks, wool slippers in the house.  You can get wool socks that are thin.  We got our daughter one of those electric radiator heaters, and she'd keep that in her room next to her desk or wherever she often hung out.  We also got her a wool camisole, like this:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/productDetail/Women/Underwear/Long_Underwear/Womens_Sleeveless_Merino_Top/44750

Strangely, it seemed to keep her whole body warmer.

• Like 1

In addition to wool socks, I recommend wearing hard soled slippers. Getting that separation from the cold hardwood floors is what makes the difference in our house.

Also, though it may seem obvious, make sure you are getting enough movement in your day. Poor circulation can be a huge contributor to cold hands and feet.

• Like 3

I bought these awesome slippers.  I think that's the first time I found something that helped. 

Wool is scratchy!!  Don't know how anyone can tolerate wool. 

I find in general that shoes help, but I don't always want to put on shoes.  The slippers work.  They have hard soles, memory foam, and a lot of warm fuzz.  They are like small boots so cover my ankles as well. 

• Like 2

Ugg boots, worn without socks. Thin layers under clothes to keep the core warm. I found I didn't need pricey wool or silk-Cuddleduds get the job done.

Also important for me is staying warm from the outset of the cday or outing. Once those hands and feet get cold it's hard to reverse course.

Edited by Pippen

Besides wool socks, I find it helps to keep my core warm. I often wear a hat in the house, wool sweater too. I've also been doing much better since we decided to turn the heat up one degree. lol. But seriously, that one degree has made a world of difference for me so now I'm not freezing all winter like I used to.

I don't do wool, silk, or down. What works for me is a hard sole slipper/inside shoe that helps separate my feet from the cold floor. What I learned from running in the winter is that my feet/hands will warm up once ai have an excess of warmth through my core and the rest of my body so keeping the rest of me warm (layers, a blanket if I'm sitting somewhere) is key.

My hands and feet get cold in the winter if I'm sitting around too much.  Mom called it "poor circulation", but I'm not sure that's medically correct.  Nevertheless, a good brisk walk, even when it is cold out can help tremendously.

Wool socks and fluffy Mukluk slippers during the day and a heated mattress pad to preheat my bed!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

This.

The heated mattress pad has literally changed my life.  I am not exaggerating.

As soon as it gets cold out, I get cold.  I would spend my evenings wrapped up in blankets, sitting with a mug of hot beverage, take hot showers, etc.  And yet, I would spend so much time shivering and cold.  I felt that I never really warmed up until spring.  Which in Wisconsin can be May or June.

Last year we were given a heated mattress pad.  Oh man, sliding into that bed at the end of the day takes all the chills away.  During the day I run around in Mukluk slippers in the house, or knock off Uggs when I go out.  My quality of life has so drastically improved just because of that mattress pad.  We will never be without one again. 

• Like 2

I suffer with cold feet. Or rather, I used to.

There are two systems that have worked well for me. The first, which I did happily for years, is to wear regular socks with down slippers. The down slippers are even better if they come with rubber soles or a bottom a thick fabric like suede. The best ones for me have been boot-style, over the ankle.

In more recent years, I have taken to wearing regular socks with Haflinger wool clogs. The only reason for the switch is that I need arch support. I wear the clogs with jeans most days. When a pair gets old and decrepit, I switch them to house-only status as my slippers. They last virtually forever, and they are toasty.

I should add a few other warmth measures--

Dry skin is cold skin. I make sure to lotion up after every shower. In the coldest, driest days of winter, I use lotion daily.

I also love-love-love silk long underwear. It's so light and thin, you hardly notice it's there. Yet it's so warm! 

And my kids cringe, but often I wear a light, thin blanket wrapped around my waist sarong-style in the house. 

In addition to wool socks always wear a thin wick-a-way base layer sock it will keep your feet dry. Dry feet = warm feet. Cotton is HORRIBLE! I wear socks with a rubber sole yoga slipper in the winter, I fell down the stairs and injured my back 10+ years ago while wearing a slipper that did not have good traction. These are what I have bought for the past 4 years, they are the best buy for the money. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rocky-Women-s-Liner-Socks-Black/33486601 I wear Costco base layer pants and shirts for added warmth.

If you want heated products (boots, gloves etc) check out http://cozywinters.com/ It is my go to site for winter warmth products. I like these gloves http://cozywinters.com/shop/thermo-gloves.html

At night I stick a heating pad under the blankets before I start to get ready for bed since my heated mattress pad died.

• Like 1