Menu

If you love your dishwasher...

Plink

Please tell me which one you own.  

We seem to have dishwashers only last 6-7 years, and even then we are repairing "minor" things like wheels and racks on our own regularly.   In talking with our appliance store salesman, it sounds like there isn't much hope of finding my dream machine - one that lasts as long as my mom's first dishwasher, contains a garbage disposal, and doesn't take a year and a half to finish one load.  

I know I sound like an old fuddy-duddy "in my days" whiner, but honestly, why are we making machines less durable than in the past?  Our poor landfills!  

Someone must make a decent dishwasher!  I'm willing to pay for it. 

Bosch. We're in a temporary rental and it has a Bosch dishwasher. 300 series. No bells or whistles, no water softener in the place, just sparkling dishes. I had a Kenmore Elite that I paid a ridiculous amount of money for ten years ago and then proceeded to fix at least once every year. And the dishes always had crud on them. 10 different water jets and whirligigs and they had to be washed before and after being washed.

Seriously, go to an appliance place and open and shut the door of a Bosch dishwasher vs. any other brand at the same price point. You'll be amazed how you can feel the difference in the quality, just from the door.

• Like 3

I have a lovely Kenmore Elite--purchased 4 years ago because it was one of the highest rated QUIET machines. OH how I love how quiet that baby is.

Cleans decent. I usually scrape and rinse before loading dishes.

One of my clients RAVES about her Bosch. She never 'pre-washes' and her dishes come out clean. Bosch makes a quiet machine as well.

Bosch. We're in a temporary rental and it has a Bosch dishwasher. 300 series. No bells or whistles, no water softener in the place, just sparkling dishes. I had a Kenmore Elite that I paid a ridiculous amount of money for ten years ago and then proceeded to fix at least once every year. And the dishes always had crud on them. 10 different water jets and whirligigs and they had to be washed before and after being washed.

Seriously, go to an appliance place and open and shut the door of a Bosch dishwasher vs. any other brand at the same price point. You'll be amazed how you can feel the difference in the quality, just from the door.

What do you think of the drying time with the Bosch?  They don't offer air-dry, which seems like it could get inconvenient with large parties (we host many each year).  Also, do you have a garbage disposal or filter?  If filter, is it easy to empty?

I really like our Bosch, but it does take 2 hours. It's nine years old and doing fine. We don't use it as a garbage disposal--I don't think I've ever had one that does that. There's a filter at the bottom, which I rinse out occasionally, but we scrape everything into the compost.

It's nice and quiet.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 2

We have a Bosch.

I like it fine. It's fast--I wash on economy cycle so it's only 20 minutes or so.

We air dry. I just turn off when the cycle is done and prop the door open.

It has a little filter on the bottom. In 5 years I've cleaned it out once? I tend to soak dishes in the sink before washing, though.

• Like 1

What do you think of the drying time with the Bosch? They don't offer air-dry, which seems like it could get inconvenient with large parties (we host many each year). Also, do you have a garbage disposal or filter? If filter, is it easy to empty?

Dishes are so hot by the time the cycle is finished, I just prop the door open til they cool down enough to handle. I never used the dry cycle on mymprvious machines either.

Filter in the bottom occasionally Ned's to be cleans but it's no big deal.

I have the three rack system and I removed the silverware basket. I love it.

• Like 1

We have a Bosch that is about 3 years old and stopped working about 3 weeks ago. :( The drain pump isn't draining. 

I hear you on how poorly made appliances are these days. We go for pricepoints about in the middle of the range, but it's rare that all of our appliances are working at once. Our washing machine is also on the fritz and it's only a few years old, too.

I remember in our first house, 20 years ago, we had older appliances and never do I remember them malfunctioning ... we left them when we sold the house. 

Kenmore. Not the elite. It was consumer reports Best Buy seven years ago. It beat out the Elite line even. It has a turbo zone that even took off baked on BBQ sauce! Without prerinsing. The top rack raised and lowered so I could add tall glasses or big platters. I am not kidding when I say everything but the cast iron skillet went through that. My mil didn't believe me until she stayed with me and I told her to just load it. (She washes dishes before putting them in the dishwasher because hers have always been so bad.) We never had a problem. It was fairly easy to take apart to clean. And it had an internal grinder so good particles didn't clog the drain. I could go on and on about that thing.

I miss it. It was absolutely one of the only things I loved about our old house. We have to hand wash in our new house, but considering what we gained (an extra full bath) I guess we can manage. Maybe. 😂

Edited because my phone is autocorrecting very strangely today.

Edited by Elizabeth 2

Kenmore is not a real brand. Kenmore doesn't make anything - they just stick their stickers on other brands.  

You have to look at the model & consult an online directly & it will tell you what the actual brand is. I had a Kenmore Elite for 10 years. It needed a few minor repairs which we did ourselves in that 10 yrs but then a few months ago, the main engine stopped working properly. 

We got the Bosch 500 series. It's almost silent. Otherwise I picked it for the smooth door design.   We're still not sure we like how the tines and drawers are arranged. I need new dishes to fit in my dishwasher properly lol. But I'm happy with how silent it is & I don't care about cycle length as I usually turn it on at night. 

I love my asko so far although it's only five years old so I guess I don't know what problems are likely to pop up.

One thing I've noticed and this may be true with all dishwashers, I find over time the glaze on plates seems to become thinner and feel slightly gritty. They are still functional but they don't feel as nice to touch.

Bosch. Finish gel pacs. Lemishine or citric acid every few weeks for hard water (we ruined two dishwasher drain pumps before someone clued us in that it's a hard water problem--I grew up with some of the softest water in the country). I clean the filter if I notice an odor or see that something from it is washing up on the dishes (once in a while someone puts something in that makes me go, "huh?"). My kids usually load the dishwasher, so I have little quality control, lol!, Starchy stuff that has been sitting for a long time doesn't come off easily in hard water, but otherwise, things are clean, sparkly, etc. 

We do have a water softener, but it's as low as we can manage because the salt was corroding things. 

Dishes are so hot by the time the cycle is finished, I just prop the door open til they cool down enough to handle. I never used the dry cycle on mymprvious machines either.

Filter in the bottom occasionally Ned's to be cleans but it's no big deal.

I have the three rack system and I removed the silverware basket. I love it.

I have a Bosch and have loved it since we purchased it 3 months ago. It is very quiet and I love the choice of cycles. We usually use the eco 30 min cycle and only occasionally have an item with food on it. The interior is stainless and if you leave the door closed, it's supposed to pull the excess water to the sides through condensation. I never used the heated dry cycle on previous dishwashers, but I have found if I leave the door closed until the dishes cool off, there is very little water on them. The cycles become a little longer if there isn't any rinse aid in the dw. 

I don't know which series we have, but we also have the 3 rack system. I wasn't sure I'd like the top silverware rack because it seemed like so much work to place the pieces, but my kids and I love it! It makes putting away the silverware very easy-- no sorting and it's consistently clean. We also took out the silverware basket on the bottom. My only complaint is that I'd like it to be just a bit lower so I can fit all my serving and cooking utensils on it. I can adjust the other 2 racks, so tall stuff fits on either the middle or lower rack, just not that top one.

I wish mine came with tines that stuck straight up instead of the angled ones we have. Most of my dishes fit (I took them with me when we were looking at buying a dw), but the odd ones fit awkwardly. I can put some tines down, which I usually do, but if they're up and have just a bit of pressure on them, they fold partway down and don't hold my dish very well.

I don't think Bosch makes dishwashers with a garbage disposal; that's one of the reasons they're so quiet. I haven't needed to empty the filter since we purchased the dw, but the filter is in an easy to access area. We were told to rinse just the chunks and leave anything else on. We routinely put dd's oatmeal bowl in and only once has it not been cleaned well.

I have found if we latch the door, it begins to stink. If we close it, but don't latch it, we don't have a problem with odor. I've looked for the source of the odor and believe it's in the water that hasn't fully drained under the dw. (I can see the water when I remove the filter.)

My owner's manual said to only use 1 T of dishwashing powder, so we now put our dishwashing detergent in a container and use only a heaping spoonful of powder. It fills the container about halfway. We'll see if more powder is needed when we clean the Thanksgiving dishes! :)

Kenmore is not a real brand. Kenmore doesn't make anything - they just stick their stickers on other brands.  

You have to look at the model & consult an online directly & it will tell you what the actual brand is. I had a Kenmore Elite for 10 years. It needed a few minor repairs which we did ourselves in that 10 yrs but then a few months ago, the main engine stopped working properly. 

We got the Bosch 500 series. It's almost silent. Otherwise I picked it for the smooth door design.   We're still not sure we like how the tines and drawers are arranged. I need new dishes to fit in my dishwasher properly lol. But I'm happy with how silent it is & I don't care about cycle length as I usually turn it on at night. 

eta for clarification.

Edited by wilrunner

We just had our 2nd KitchenAid self-destruct, so those are out for us.  This last one required regularly replacing lots of little parts over time, but most recently the front electrical panel went berserk because the steam vent was "poorly placed" (the dishwasher-guy's words, not mine).

Bosch looks very appealing.  Is it worth it to buy one with an integrated water softener?

We got a Bosch 800 series about 6 months ago with the three rack system and I love it. I've cleaned out the filter a couple of times and never had any issues with it, it's really easy and quick. It's so quiet and I puffy heart the top silverware rack. I can fit SO much more in there without having the silverware in the bottom basket. I was afraid I wouldn't be happy with the drying but it dries much better than my previous heated dry dishwasher. The hot water it uses and the way it draws it to the stainless tub works so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We replaced our old dishwasher with a Bosch about eight months ago.  It is so quiet and cleans very well.  I like the three level system.  Obviously I haven't had it long enough to know about longetivity.  I don't know how old our previous dishwasher was since the former owners had that one put in.  I believe my husband checked consumer reports before we ordered it.

I've never had a bad dishwasher. Some have been louder than others but all have cleaned well and been trouble free. Our current one is a Samsung that was here when we bought the house. It cleans well and is unbelievably quiet. I have to look at the lights to know whether it's on or not, even standing right at it. I honestly don't know how long it takes to do a load. I usually start it after breakfast and unload it before lunch.

Edited by Pawz4me

I have a Bosch and have loved it since we purchased it 3 months ago. It is very quiet and I love the choice of cycles. We usually use the eco 30 min cycle and only occasionally have an item with food on it. The interior is stainless and if you leave the door closed, it's supposed to pull the excess water to the sides through condensation. I never used the heated dry cycle on previous dishwashers, but I have found if I leave the door closed until the dishes cool off, there is very little water on them. The cycles become a little longer if there isn't any rinse aid in the dw.

I don't know which series we have, but we also have the 3 rack system. I wasn't sure I'd like the top silverware rack because it seemed like so much work to place the pieces, but my kids and I love it! It makes putting away the silverware very easy-- no sorting and it's consistently clean. We also took out the silverware basket on the bottom. My only complaint is that I'd like it to be just a bit lower so I can fit all my serving and cooking utensils on it. I can adjust the other 2 racks, so tall stuff fits on either the middle or lower rack, just not that top one.

I wish mine came with tines that stuck straight up instead of the angled ones we have. Most of my dishes fit (I took them with me when we were looking at buying a dw), but the odd ones fit awkwardly. I can put some tines down, which I usually do, but if they're up and have just a bit of pressure on them, they fold partway down and don't hold my dish very well.

I don't think Bosch makes dishwashers with a garbage disposal; that's one of the reasons they're so quiet. I haven't needed to empty the filter since we purchased the dw, but the filter is in an easy to access area. We were told to rinse just the chunks and leave anything else on. We routinely put dd's oatmeal bowl in and only once has it not been cleaned well.

I have found if we latch the door, it begins to stink. If we close it, but don't latch it, we don't have a problem with odor. I've looked for the source of the odor and believe it's in the water that hasn't fully drained under the dw. (I can see the water when I remove the filter.)

My owner's manual said to only use 1 T of dishwashing powder, so we now put our dishwashing detergent in a container and use only a heaping spoonful of powder. It fills the container about halfway. We'll see if more powder is needed when we clean the Thanksgiving dishes! :)

eta for clarification.

To clarify, I only open the door if I need to unload immediately.,otherwise, I let it do,it's thing.

What do you think of the drying time with the Bosch?  They don't offer air-dry, which seems like it could get inconvenient with large parties (we host many each year).  Also, do you have a garbage disposal or filter?  If filter, is it easy to empty?

I think their "sanitize" option is actually the hot air dry because mine come out uncomfortably hot and completely dry as long as I choose that option.  I've not tried running a load without the sanitize option.  Maybe I 'll do that and report back. Regardless, I would think it'd be easy to time it and open the dishwasher when you were ready to move on and load it up again.  

I don't know which we have as far as the filter.  I'm actually embarrassed to admit I've never looked.  My old kenmore had the disposal so I assumed this one did.  I don't see any food down there, so I'm still not sure.  I suppose I should go check.

Please tell me which one you own.  

We seem to have dishwashers only last 6-7 years, and even then we are repairing "minor" things like wheels and racks on our own regularly.   In talking with our appliance store salesman, it sounds like there isn't much hope of finding my dream machine - one that lasts as long as my mom's first dishwasher, contains a garbage disposal, and doesn't take a year and a half to finish one load.  

I know I sound like an old fuddy-duddy "in my days" whiner, but honestly, why are we making machines less durable than in the past?  Our poor landfills!  

Someone must make a decent dishwasher!  I'm willing to pay for it. 

My  Whirlpool is almost 13 years old and going strong. I plan to always have Whirlpool. :-)

I asked about this here about 6-12 months ago, and based on the responses decided to buy a top of the line Bosch.  I went to look at them, and couldn't stand the diagonal tines.  I wash my multiport in the bottom rack, and there was no way to make it fit (I actually tried with something in the store that had the same type of shape.)  So that was out, because I hate handwashing dishes.  Talking with the sales guy, I decided to get the top of the line Kitchen Aide.  Both of those are a bit risky these days, but at least the KA would accept my dishes. 

But.

I decided that owed it to myself to at least go look at a Miele, and convinced myself that that was better engineered with higher quality than the others, as well it should be at that price, and that since I have only bought one dishwasher in all my born days, I should get a really good one because I was probably going to use it for the rest of my life.

But.

The Miele looked so sleek and modern and ish that it would have made my whole kitchen look bad, in the manner of a Sheraton writing desk in the living room completely ruining the previously charming looks of early American rustic antiques and vice versa.  What to do, what to do.  Finally I decided that my kitchen would just have to go ahead and look bad, that I'd better get the Miele because it's well made and likely to last.

It was at this point that my DH's 5th consecutive try at taking apart the broken old KA and fixing it and putting it back together actually worked.  So we are making do with the old one, my kitchen looks fine, dated but fine, and we are just keeping our fingers crossed that we can limp this one along until manufacturers start making quality machines again.

• Like 1

I liked my old GE topoftheline (then) profile.  lots of flexiblity in the racks, three arms, cleaned well, etc.  just not as quiet as I wanted.

just as a warning - I have *detested* my top of the line kitchen-aid.  dh is involved with a start up.  we joke if it works, the first thing we're doing is replacing the dishwasher.  I will probably get a bosch 800.

eta:  we've hated the KA almost from the beginning. If I could have sent it back, I would have.

Edited by gardenmom5

I asked about this here about 6-12 months ago, and based on the responses decided to buy a top of the line Bosch.  I went to look at them, and couldn't stand the diagonal tines.  I wash my multiport in the bottom rack, and there was no way to make it fit (I actually tried with something in the store that had the same type of shape.)  So that was out, because I hate handwashing dishes.  Talking with the sales guy, I decided to get the top of the line Kitchen Aide.  Both of those are a bit risky these days, but at least the KA would accept my dishes. 

But.

I decided that owed it to myself to at least go look at a Miele, and convinced myself that that was better engineered with higher quality than the others, as well it should be at that price, and that since I have only bought one dishwasher in all my born days, I should get a really good one because I was probably going to use it for the rest of my life.

But.

The Miele looked so sleek and modern and ish that it would have made my whole kitchen look bad, in the manner of a Sheraton writing desk in the living room completely ruining the previously charming looks of early American rustic antiques and vice versa.  What to do, what to do.  Finally I decided that my kitchen would just have to go ahead and look bad, that I'd better get the Miele because it's well made and likely to last.

It was at this point that my DH's 5th consecutive try at taking apart the broken old KA and fixing it and putting it back together actually worked.  So we are making do with the old one, my kitchen looks fine, dated but fine, and we are just keeping our fingers crossed that we can limp this one along until manufacturers start making quality machines again.

I don't remember seeing a Miele before we bought the Bosch, but if it has straight tines, we probably would have bought it!

What is a "multiport"? When I google it, I see something to do with ships ("The World's Largest Shipping Company") and Samsung adapters, which I couldn't imagine putting in the dishwasher.

I love my Bosch, but I can't speak to longevity.

I don't think it's for everyone.  I haven't found any of the shorter cycles to be acceptably effective, so we live with the long cycles.  There is no dry cycle, but I value the power saving more.  Without the dry cycle, it really is necessary to hand dry, or to at least crack the door open at the finish to allow the still-hot water to evaporate.

I love how well it cleans (on long), and I love how quiet it is.

ps, in my Bosch, several of the rows of tines can be flopped flat to make a large open area. I can put any/all large pots in there that I want to. I mostly hand-wash huge things, but occasionally, if I want to run a load and it has lots of space available, I'll snap down a row or two of tines and stick large colanders/pots/etc in there. 

• Like 1

Bosch. Webhave had every brand under the sun but Miele. I am NOT one to like appliances. I am suck od the junk that is out there. I am very happy with our Bosch. It is 8 years old now and looks and runs like it did the day it was installed. Before getting out Bosxh we were replacing dishwashers every 3 - 4 years. I am in my 50's and have tried every stinkin brand out there. We will be sticking with Bosch.

• Like 1

ps, in my Bosch, several of the rows of tines can be flopped flat to make a large open area. I can put any/all large pots in there that I want to. I mostly hand-wash huge things, but occasionally, if I want to run a load and it has lots of space available, I'll snap down a row or two of tines and stick large colanders/pots/etc in there.

Same with mine. That was the main reason I got the 800 over the 500 with the third rack and I'm pleased I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bosch 800. Love, love, love.

It's a long cycle (like most/all modern dishwashers, I think), but the dishes come out clean and sparkly, and it's SUPER quiet (like barely can tell it's on), and the racks are great -- especially the 3rd rack. It's awesome. 

don't be mislead.  that has it's drawbacks too.  unless it has a good light to indicate it's running - it is SO *easy* to open the door midcycle . . . .

that's the one thing I like about my much hated KA dishwasher.  it's very quiet. 

don't be mislead.  that has it's drawbacks too.  unless it has a good light to indicate it's running - it is SO *easy* to open the door midcycle . . . .

that's the one thing I like about my much hated KA dishwasher.  it's very quiet. 

I don't get why that's a drawback? I open the door midcycle on purpose to add stuff 

Ours has a red light it shines on the floor. It's easy to tell it's on because the light is bright on our light floor.I think on a dark floor it might be harder to see....

• Like 3

I don't get why that's a drawback? I open the door midcycle on purpose to add stuff 

Ours has a red light it shines on the floor. It's easy to tell it's on because the light is bright on our light floor.I think on a dark floor it might be harder to see....

the pin sized light changes color during the cycle. I've seen red, usually it's a blue that is easy to miss.  it's  green when it's done.

opening on purpose to  add something is one thing (I only do this very early in the cycle.  I want stuff to go through the whole wash cycle).  opening it because you think it's not running is different.

modern cycles are just so long (part of that is the going slower to not make as much noise.)

The Bosch 800 has a red light at the bottom that glows on the floor. It's very easy to know when it's running!

• Like 1