Menu

Who (not running) would make a good President?

MamaBearTeacher

Bugs Bunny - I always thought that he was awesome, good looking, super smart and a survivor who could solve any problem that came his way.

I could have said that my son would make a good president (he is very caring, sensitive and wants to protect justice when he grows up and because he also really wants the job, but he is not in the running because he is not even 10 years old yet!)

What I am very afraid of is that, after this 2016 debacle, the potential of a Kanye / Kardashian-as-a-First-Lady 2020 run isn't all that Krazy. :mellow:

They are probably the next DNC candidates. 

I was just joking when I typed that above, but I decided to look to see if Kanye had said anything.  Good Lord, he had.  I had missed that, thank God. 

West concluded his speech by declaring, “As you probably could have guessed by this moment, I have decided, in 2020, to run for president.â€

The official account of the Democratic National Committee tweeted Monday morning that the group approved of a possible West run.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/31/democratic-party-kanye-west-president

Mrs. Mungo, SWB, or Tibbie Dunbar.

I really liked Colin Powell back in the day. He was fairly moderate, well spoken, had a good bead on foreign policy issues.

Mostly these days I would be inclined to vote for the cast of West Wing and let them use the scripts from the show to make decisions. :D

• Like 5

Continuing in the Star Trek line of thought, in addition to JeanLuc Picard, definitely Captain Janeway.

Aragorn
Hermione Granger

Come to think of it, Emma Watson herself wouldn't be so bad.
Caspian

...so basically literary characters already in leadership positions, lol. I suppose I'm not exactly thinking outside the box here.

• Like 1

Dabs Sweeny, GO TIGERS!!!!

He is great at leading a team, he is passionate, he gives credit where it is due, he is inspirational.  He follows through on what he says.  Check out his pizza party from last year.

Edited by Mama Geek
  • Like 1

I'll nominate myself. I could do it. I wouldn't like it, but I could do it. I'm patient, I'm honest, and I have a good understanding of the workings of government and the law.

See, I really do wish our candidates would come from the ranks of regular citizens and not from some Cylonish politician breeding farm.

• Like 1

I'll nominate myself. I could do it. I wouldn't like it, but I could do it. I'm patient, I'm honest, and I have a good understanding of the workings of government and the law.

I will vote for you if you can get yourself on the ticket in the next couple of weeks.  Guaranteed vote! 

• Like 2

That's not actually where our candidates come from.

Bill

I realize that, Bill. But I do think it's obvious that many of them are pretty entrenched in the Capitol lifestyle, including not only the perks but all the unwritten rules that have to be navigated by, and that has to affect their decision making. The money it takes just to get into a national election is staggering. I wish it were more realistic for someone from "real" life to enter the system and successfully effect change. I wish the process would be realistically more open to regular citizens.

Or maybe I'm just wishing that more regular citizens would engage in the process at the level that our founding fathers expected, instead of just watching TV commercials and pulling levers every couple of years. That's probably really at the heart of how I'm feeling, because I know lots of people in real life that have demonstrated better judgment than the two major party folks currently on the ballot.

I feel as though I'm encroaching on the "no politics" rule, so back to the topic at hand. Someone get Ravin or Jean-Luc Picard on the ballot and I will gleefully go to the polls come November 8.

• Like 5

I realize that, Bill. But I do think it's obvious that many of them are pretty entrenched in the Capitol lifestyle, including not only the perks but all the unwritten rules that have to be navigated by, and that has to affect their decision making. The money it takes just to get into a national election is staggering. I wish it were more realistic for someone from "real" life to enter the system and successfully effect change. I wish the process would be realistically more open to regular citizens.

Or maybe I'm just wishing that more regular citizens would engage in the process at the level that our founding fathers expected, instead of just watching TV commercials and pulling levers every couple of years. That's probably really at the heart of how I'm feeling, because I know lots of people in real life that have demonstrated better judgment than the two major party folks currently on the ballot.

I feel as though I'm encroaching on the "no politics" rule, so back to the topic at hand. Someone get Ravin or Jean-Luc Picard on the ballot and I will gleefully go to the polls come November 8.

And I'm unconvinced that electing know-nothings is the best route forward.

Bill

• Like 3

And I'm unconvinced that electing know-nothings is the best route forward.

Bill

Under the current circumstances, I can't argue with this. I just wish it weren't so.

ETA and this whole thread is about wishful thinking, so...

Edited by Seasider

Under the current circumstances, I can't argue with this. I just wish it weren't so.

ETA and this whole thread is about wishful thinking, so...

I understand the sentiments; however, the reality is that when people who are not masters of the complexities of government take office they become more highly reliant on staffers, lobbyists, bureaucrats, and special interest groups than those who have an inside knowledge of government. So instead of being more "independent" voices inexperienced office holders are far more likely to become captives of the system.

Bill

• Like 6

I understand the sentiments; however, the reality is that when people who are not masters of the complexities of government take office they become more highly reliant on staffers, lobbyists, bureaucrats, and special interest groups than those who have an inside knowledge of government. So instead of being more "independent" voices inexperienced office holders are far more likely to become captives of the system.

Bill

Damn. That's an excellent point. I'm too tired for excellent points right now, lol. Or maybe, just not used to hearing them lately (not dissing people here, but elsewhere). 

• Like 3

Bill

At this point bill, special interest groups/lobbies pretty much own Washington so I don't think it is as big a deal as it used to be. It takes a gazillion dollars to run for federal office because the system has broken, and so they are beholden period, captive to their richest donors.  I don't believe that experience is any kind of inoculation against the phenomenon.

That said, there are other reasons why at the federal level, inexperience can be a real crusher.

• Like 3

I vote my dog. Seriously. His is the most patient, kind humble creature imaginable and befriends everyone including other species. Cows would literally break into a trot to come say hello to him and lick his head. He also doesn't take crap from other dogs (his is the alpha-dog) and I know would protect us. Perfect combination of attributes.

• Like 4

And let me just say that I would find four year of John Oliver to be entertaining and satisfying which is a heck of a lot more than can say for any of the presidents that have been in office since I became an adult!

Just imagine the State of the Union address!  :smilielol5:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 3

See, I really do wish our candidates would come from the ranks of regular citizens and not from some Cylonish politician breeding farm.

Yeah, well, I would be unelectable. I mean, aside from being further to the left in some ways than Bernie Sanders, I belong to a religious minority most people have never even heard of, I have a non-traditional family (polyamorous 3-adult household, and same-gender marriage), and I'm transgender. I'd probably get arrested for using the restroom while on the campaign trail, among other things.

Absolutely none of that speaks to actual job qualifications for President any more than it speaks to my qualifications in my present career.

• Like 5

If we're going with Star Trek characters, my vote goes to Will Riker. Can't you just picture him striding into a cabinet meeting, putting his foot on the nearest chair, and declaring, "Will someone please tell me what the hell is going on?"

😂 I can actually see that happening!

Yeah, well, I would be unelectable. I mean, aside from being further to the left in some ways than Bernie Sanders, I belong to a religious minority most people have never even heard of, I have a non-traditional family (polyamorous 3-adult household, and same-gender marriage), and I'm transgender. I'd probably get arrested for using the restroom while on the campaign trail, among other things.

Absolutely none of that speaks to actual job qualifications for President any more than it speaks to my qualifications in my present career.

I have learned all the first oaragraph info about you from years of reading this forum.

I also know you have an understanding of current law and the appropriate paths to making necessary amendments. I just don't think it should be so hard to follow the written rules (aka US Constitution), kwim? Those rules include instructions for how to make changes. If you are constitutionally literate and a US citizen, I think your opportunities to hold public office should be just as open as anyone else's.

Now we'd have to learn some more about what you'd do with the economy...LOL!

At this point bill, special interest groups/lobbies pretty much own Washington so I don't think it is as big a deal as it used to be. It takes a gazillion dollars to run for federal office because the system has broken, and so they are beholden period, captive to their richest donors.  I don't believe that experience is any kind of inoculation against the phenomenon.

That said, there are other reasons why at the federal level, inexperience can be a real crusher.

There is too much money in politics. No question. I'm confident that when the Supreme Court is restored to full numbers that one of the worst decisions since Dred Scott (Citizens United) will be overturned. That would be a good first step.

Bill 

• Like 4

Vermont would elect you! I'll be your campaign manager. :-)

I've been out of pocket for a few days, so I just saw this.

THOMAS SOWELL!!!! With Walter Williams as VP.

:hurray:

Those two crack me up when they get talking - you can just picture the coffee and donuts flowing with the genius.

I'd take them in a heartbeat, geriatric as they are becoming in recent years. What great minds!

Those two crack me up when they get talking - you can just picture the coffee and donuts flowing with the genius.

I'd take them in a heartbeat, geriatric as they are becoming in recent years. What great minds!

Sowell is 86 but still sharp as a tack

Williams is 80, so Sowell should be prez first for 2 terms, of course, and then Williams for the next 2. (Or should I say $owell and William$, lol). That won't be enough to get us solvent, but if we could turn things around for our grandchildren, or great, great grandchildren....ah, I dare to dream. 

They are not long for this world, and we need them. 

• Like 3

I love the Jean Luc Picard idea, or Atticus Finch. 

​I'd also vote for my husband.  He always reminded me of Atticus Finch.  Actually that had been his ambition all along (politics), until The Tragic Event.  He would have made a great president.  

After that, I'd vote for dd#2, but I'll have to wait 11 years.

• Like 1