Menu

Are there things that irritate you now that didn't used to?

DawnM

Something is wrong with me.  Stuff irritates me that I used to not even notice before.

Chewing sounds never bothered me.  Now they make me crazy.

DH flossing his teeth in the room where I am watching TV.  Makes me want to scream.  

A co-worker twirls her hair constantly while she is in meetings.  

I am sure there is a longer list, but these are the highlights.

Yes.  

The chewing.  And swallowing.  And scraping silverware on the bottom of the bowl/plate/dish to get everything out of it.

It used to be important to me that we try to have family dinner at the table as often as possible.  Now we only use the table when the IL's come to visit, because I need the TV to keep the eating noises at bay.  

Eating, for sure.  Sometimes I have to fight to keep from crying or screaming in rage at the person.     

Certain personal care things people have to do - nail clipping and filing, stuff like that.  

Hiccuping that goes on and on.  I was in a grocery store once and a worker was hiccuping for a long time.  It seemed whereever I went, she was there.  I know it is something people can't help, and most likely the woman couldn't just walk off the floor (though she was not a cashier).   But I felt trapped in that store because it seemed like the woman was following me (of course she was not; she was just doing her work and it happened that I was going in the same direction).  It seems ludicrous, I know, and my daughter was mystified by my anxiety about it, but I just couldn't help it. 

EVERYTHING irritates me now..lol.  I told dh the other day that my 40s have turned my inexplicable weepiness into a low simmering rage.  Don't touch me, don't wake me up, don't kiss me in the morning, don't leave the dang milk jug on the floor beside the trash can, don't talk to me before 8AM, don't talk during a song, don't slurp your food, don't be stupid, my clothes don't feel right, my underwear pinches, and my hair is annoying.  I'm just a regular ol' ray of sunshine.

• Like 12

EVERYTHING irritates me now..lol.  I told dh the other day that my 40s have turned my inexplicable weepiness into a low simmering rage.  Don't touch me, don't wake me up, don't kiss me in the morning, don't leave the dang milk jug on the floor beside the trash can, don't talk to me before 8AM, don't talk during a song, don't slurp your food, don't be stupid, my clothes don't feel right, my underwear pinches, and my hair is annoying.  I'm just a regular ol' ray of sunshine.

Dh says there are way too many familiar things on this list!

Yeah, I am more cranky.

• Like 1

Sometimes I'll notice something that I realise people must have been doing around me all the time and then I'm horrified by it and can't see why it didn't bother me. Recently it is a family member talking with their mouth full. How did I not notice that before?

In general, untidiness (in my home) - it now drives me absolutely crazy. Anything related like not dusting off the bread board and putting it away.

And while I used to get irritated when I had to say something twice to the kids, it now makes me what to break things. At the third request I start fantasising about what my life would have looked like if I bought a cactus instead of had a kid.

ETA: that should be fantasising not fanaticising, but really, whatever works! I'm certainly getting a bit fanatical about things!

Edited by nd293

At the third request I start fantasising about what my life would have looked like if I bought a cactus instead of had a kid.

The joke I sometimes have with my boys is this, 

"It's important to be careful and write neatly. Because once I ordered books, and instead they sent me boys. That is the reason I have you." 

• Like 3

Sometimes I'll notice something that I realise people must have been doing around me all the time and then I'm horrified by it and can't see why it didn't bother me. Recently it is a family member talking with their mouth full. How did I not notice that before?

In general, untidiness (in my home) - it now drives me absolutely crazy. Anything related like not dusting off the bread board and putting it away.

And while I used to get irritated when I had to say something twice to the kids, it now makes me what to break things. At the third request I start fantasising about what my life would have looked like if I bought a cactus instead of had a kid.

ETA: that should be fantasising not fanaticising, but really, whatever works! I'm certainly getting a bit fanatical about things!

I tell my kids to imagine that each item we have beeps at a different frequency if not put away. Argh.

This. Repeating myself with everyone in this house. I think they all just think I like to hear the sound of my own voice. I really don't. I'm too tired to even talk by the end of the day so repeating myself infuriates me.

My second thing, the abuse of "Mom". Especially when it is screamed at the top of their lungs from the other end of the house. Get off your lazy behind and come find me because...

I don't do loud. I don't like loud music, loud TV, loud talking. None of it. In my perfect world, TV would be watched on mute with captions and the kids, my dh and the kids would whisper and the stupid dog would learn sign language for "bark."

I'm grouchy.

Edited by MaeFlowers

My second thing, the abuse of "Mom". Especially when it is screamed at the top of their lungs from the other end of the house. Get off your lazy behind and come find me because...

I don't do loud. I don't like loud music, loud TV, loud talking. None of it. In my perfect world, TV would be watched on mute with captions

"Mom" was so overused at one stage that I started to ignore it. Ds4 picked up on that and started switching to my first name, which still filtered through (as in "Nikki? Hey! I used to know someone with that name! Oh yes, me-before-kids".). In retaliation I started calling ds Fred, which is not his name. He eventually went back to Mom but I still call him Fred almost as often as I call him by his actual name.

And the noise! No car radio allowed! Ever! No radio in the house! They do in fact wander around with one headphone in listening to their own sounds, and I'm fine with that. Dh listens to TV with headphones on which is bliss. Mostly we all watch our own shows on the device of our choice so I only have to listen to the TV once every week or two. And then I lock myself in a room far, far away from the noise.

Clearly I'm grumpy too!

"Mom" was so overused at one stage that I started to ignore it. Ds4 picked up on that and started switching to my first name, which still filtered through (as in "Nikki? Hey! I used to know someone with that name! Oh yes, me-before-kids".). In retaliation I started calling ds Fred, which is not his name. He eventually went back to Mom but I still call him Fred almost as often as I call him by his actual name.

And the noise! No car radio allowed! Ever! No radio in the house! They do in fact wander around with one headphone in listening to their own sounds, and I'm fine with that. Dh listens to TV with headphones on which is bliss. Mostly we all watch our own shows on the device of our choice so I only have to listen to the TV once every week or two. And then I lock myself in a room far, far away from the noise.

Clearly I'm grumpy too!

I have starting ignoring it. The problem is, they just keep repeating it over and over until I answer. Sometimes I just say, "I'm not here." It doesn't work, though.

Just read this thread...

Now I'm wondering what makes some humans get more irritated as they age and some get less.  We were at our neighbor's house for dinner and games last night and one thing we all agreed on is how much we loved that at our age we no longer care (as much) what people do or what they think about what we do.  It seems pretty liberating compared to our younger years.

Then I read this thread and wonder how much we're anomalies again...

FWIW, we're all in our late 40s or early 50s if that makes a difference.

• Like 1

Oh, I suppose I should have answered the question since that's why I clicked on the thread!  I just got carried away with my thoughts...

The only thing I can come up with that bothers me now more than before is politics.  That may be mainly due to this particular election though.  I try to avoid it (difficult of course).

Otherwise, there are things that bother me (mean people, injustice on any level), but they always bothered me.  I wish there were more I could do to fix these things.

Then there are things I've discovered in my more recent years that bother me (dr appts that don't go as I'd like), but I'm pretty sure they would have always bothered me if I'd had any in my younger years.  I've reverted back to not going to any (short of a broken bone or something) to avoid this.

Other things?  Can't think of any - even after reading the thread.  Very little bothers me with what other people choose to do or how they do it as long as it doesn't interfere with someone else's life (the injustice bit).  What does bother me always has (like when people pretend to be listening to you, but aren't - esp family, and esp when you think they're going to do something you're discussing).

Edited by creekland

Just read this thread...

Now I'm wondering what makes some humans get more irritated as they age and some get less.  We were at our neighbor's house for dinner and games last night and one thing we all agreed on is how much we loved that at our age we no longer care (as much) what people do or what they think about what we do.  It seems pretty liberating compared to our younger years.

Then I read this thread and wonder how much we're anomalies again...

FWIW, we're all in our late 40s or early 50s if that makes a difference.

While I'm irrationally irritated by a great number of things, the care of what other people think of me and what I do has pretty much flown out the window..lol.  

• Like 2

Before I read others responses, my top one was 'other people eating'.  Dh crunching on a hand full of tortilla chips and walking through the house is just about the worst.  DD17 jaw pops horribly when she eats. You can hear it across the room. That it another that drives me batty.  She has been to PT for it but it still pops, so we don't know what to do.