Menu

Flu shot now or later?

creekland

This thread is obviously for those of us who opt to get the shot... 

I just saw on the news that they recommend everyone getting the shot now - before Oct.  A year (or two) ago I recall reading that the effectiveness of the shot starts to wear off after about 3 months.  If that's true and one gets it now, then it barely lasts (at full strength) through Dec.  I want mine to last from Thanksgiving - Feb/March (due to our travels) so would tend to get it near the end of Oct or start of Nov.

Has anyone seen any data recently supporting or rejecting the efficiency time?

I know it's better to get it, then take a walk... (or other exercise).  Beyond that, I haven't kept up.

The studies showing waning immunity were mostly in adults over the age of 65. It is thought that older adults and those with compromised immune systems may have waning immunity later in the flu season. So a shot given in Oct may not be effective in April. Here is one place that addresses that:http://www.immunize.org/askexperts/experts_inf.asp. You can also find it at the CDC. In kids under a certain age we actually do give two shots the first year they get the shot in order to provide an adequate immune response. That has been discussed in older adults but is not the current recommendation. 

For most healthy adults, the shot should "last" through the flu season and likely immunity lasts longer than that. The reason to get vaccinated every year is partly to boost immunity and partly because of the mutations in the flu virus itself. 

Timing of the shot is tricky. It takes about two weeks to have full immunity. So getting it late means you are banking on a late flu season. It does typically begin in Dec/Jan and peak in Feb. However, we've had years where we see tons of flu in October. And last year it didn't really start until Feb and lasted until June. 

• Like 4

I'm having the same debate for myself.

DH has surgery later this month at a major medical center, and I'm wondering if I should get mine before then. I've picked up bugs there before, so I'm concerned.

Or I may just watch the stats for our area and get it when it seems to be starting.

Last year DH and I got it in March after having the shot, and I wonder if it indeed we should have done our shots later. Thankfully mine was very mild, but he had complications afterwards. Both teens had it and were very, very sick.

I think that we're all going to get the shot this year, but I'm undecided about when.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

The studies showing waning immunity were mostly in adults over the age of 65. It is thought that older adults and those with compromised immune systems may have waning immunity later in the flu season. So a shot given in Oct may not be effective in April. Here is one place that addresses that:http://www.immunize.org/askexperts/experts_inf.asp. You can also find it at the CDC. In kids under a certain age we actually do give two shots the first year they get the shot in order to provide an adequate immune response. That has been discussed in older adults but is not the current recommendation. 

For most healthy adults, the shot should "last" through the flu season and likely immunity lasts longer than that. The reason to get vaccinated every year is partly to boost immunity and partly because of the mutations in the flu virus itself. 

Timing of the shot is tricky. It takes about two weeks to have full immunity. So getting it late means you are banking on a late flu season. It does typically begin in Dec/Jan and peak in Feb. However, we've had years where we see tons of flu in October. And last year it didn't really start until Feb and lasted until June. 

Thanks for the link.  From what I found (from link):

ACIP recommends that influenza vaccine be administered to all age groups as soon as it becomes available. Antibody to inactivated influenza vaccine declines in the months following vaccination. A study conducted during the 2011–12 influenza season (Euro Surveill 2013;18:20388) found a decline in vaccine effectiveness late in influenza season, primarily affecting persons age 65 years and older. While delaying vaccination might permit greater immunity later in the season, deferral could result in missed opportunities to vaccinate, as well as difficulties in vaccinating a large number of people within a more limited time period. Vaccination programs should balance maximizing the likelihood of persistence of vaccine-induced protection through the season with avoiding missed opportunities to vaccinate or vaccinating after influenza virus circulation begins.

It seems as if the reason to start vaccinating early is mainly for convenience and probably to try to limit the spread as much as possible.

I'm having the same debate for myself.

DH has surgery later this month at a major medical center, and I'm wondering if I should get mine before then. I've picked up bugs there before, so I'm concerned.

Or I may just watch the stats for our area and get it when it seems to be starting.

Last year DH and I got it in March after having the shot, and I wonder if it indeed we should have done our shots later. Thankfully mine was very mild, but he had complications afterwards. Both teens had it and were very, very sick.

I think that we're all going to get the shot this year, but I'm undecided about when.

That's where we're at too - without the surgery, etc.  We're just talking regarding everyday life (and winter travels).

If I were in your shoes (with surgery, etc), I think that would weigh the balance toward earlier rather than later (for me).

I'm still debating for us.  If there isn't much of a decline for those of us in middle age, early might still be just fine - and helpful if the season were to start early.

It's not widely available here until October.  I just checked my doctor's website and the flu shot clinics are scheduled for 10/8, 10/22, and 11/5.  The pediatrician isn't giving the shot yet either and won't be doing the FluMist at all because apparently it's not especially effective. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2016-2017.htm

I don't know about reduced effectiveness, but we got our shots in October last year and in March the flu went around.  A bad flu.  Quite a few people we know were laid flat out in bed for 7-10 days (none had gotten the flu shot).  They were super sick.  At the same time, three of the six of us still got sick, but those three were only mildly sick (with very similar symptoms as those who were very sick) and it only last a couple days.  So I can definitely say the shot was still effective for us over 5 months later.

• Like 3

DH and I used to get ours at the shot clinic offered at his work, but then a few years ago he got the flu in mid-October...two weeks before the shot clinic.  Last year we wanted to make sure we had reached full immunity before I gave birth, so we went to CVS at the end of September.

My youngest got her first flu shot 4 weeks ago and all my kids got one this morning.  DH and I plan to pop into CVS and get ours this weekend, and I will be glad when it is done because yesterday when we were at the allergist the receptionist mentioned that 4 people had already called that day to cancel their appointments due to flu.  It seems every few years we have a run of flu around here shortly after schools start.

Wendy

• Like 1

In my state I know I can google "Florida Flu cases" and see how many there have been recently. So far, few to none. So if you were here, I'd wait. 

I just googled PA and the nation and can't come up with any up to date sites.  All of them end in May 2016.  I wonder when they'll start tracking this season - esp since folks on the Hive are reporting local cases.

That's the same link I came up with. Is there somewhere on it I'm missing that gives a national "where flu is at" picture?

I can get regional with this one (from that site):

http://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/fluportaldashboard.html

With the links at the bottom PA is still not reporting for this season yet.  When I clicked on FL they gave info up to Aug 27th, but PA's info ends in May.

The regional link also says "No data" with the northeast at this point.

I know I'm being stupid, but I thought hey maybe I'll actually get the flu shot this year.  But then I have this irrational fear that I'll get the shot AND the flu anyway.  LOL

No clue why, but yes that is what is on my mind.

There are never guarantees in life.  I tend to opt to go with best odds.   :coolgleamA:

I've never actually had the flu - ever - but about three years ago I decided to give my body better odds.  Then too, that year I read that some of us who don't get symptoms sometimes actually carry the virus and can pass it to others.  I don't get normal symptoms of pretty much anything, so figured if I happened to be in that small group, others would appreciate my thoughtfulness.

That said, the greater odds are that my "getting older" body wouldn't mind some help and would prefer to stay flu free, so that's what we've gone with and plan to continue going with.

I'm pretty pro to everyone making up their own mind though, so it's fine with me if you don't get it.  I'm just sharing my reasons in case you were curious.

• Like 2

Huh, you're right! I just saw the other states had it. No idea why the northeast isn't reporting yet. 

It's too hot here.  Everyone is still in summer mode.  It even took me off guard when I saw the "Get your flu shot now" spot on the news...  Winter hasn't appeared on our horizon yet.  It's hidden behind the sun and humidity.  :lol:

We're supposed to get ours in early October, based on dr recommendation. I did read recently that it seems to be a bit more effective if you get it in the morning rather the afternoon.

This would match the exercise immediately afterward advice.  In the morning we are naturally more likely to be "doing something."  By afternoon, many of us naturally get more into "relax" state.

• Like 1

There are never guarantees in life.  I tend to opt to go with best odds.   :coolgleamA:

I've never actually had the flu - ever - but about three years ago I decided to give my body better odds.  Then too, that year I read that some of us who don't get symptoms sometimes actually carry the virus and can pass it to others.  I don't get normal symptoms of pretty much anything, so figured if I happened to be in that small group, others would appreciate my thoughtfulness.

That said, the greater odds are that my "getting older" body wouldn't mind some help and would prefer to stay flu free, so that's what we've gone with and plan to continue going with.

I'm pretty pro to everyone making up their own mind though, so it's fine with me if you don't get it.  I'm just sharing my reasons in case you were curious.

On the way back from the kids' appointments we were talking about vaccines.  Long story short the kids wanted to know the pros and cons.  Blah blah.  I said well there are always risks of a bad reaction, but you haven't had one before and I haven't and I have never known anyone who did either.  So my older kid said probably it was riskier for us to drive to the doctor's office than to get the vaccine.  I said huh, I don't know, but that seems possible.

• Like 1

On the way back from the kids' appointments we were talking about vaccines.  Long story short the kids wanted to know the pros and cons.  Blah blah.  I said well there are always risks of a bad reaction, but you haven't had one before and I haven't and I have never known anyone who did either.  So my older kid said probably it was riskier for us to drive to the doctor's office than to get the vaccine.  I said huh, I don't know, but that seems possible.

Smart kid!

I've had it several times in my life, but the last time was one of the worst cases I ever had. All three of us got the flu that year. Ds came down with it on New Year's Eve. A few days later I was down, and dh's symptoms came about a week after ds first got sick. Ds was four. Our active little boy with as-yet undiagnosed, untreated ADHD started to recover while we were still pretty sick, and that was tough. 

After that time I decided I never wanted the flu ever again. We all started getting the vaccine every year. Until ds turned 18, he had to get his at the doctor's office. State law wouldn't allow him to get it at a pharmacy unless a nurse was giving the shots. One year Walmart had nurses giving them, but most years all the pharmacies just have the pharmacist give it. I was glad when he turned 18 and could just walk into Walgreens or CVS and get his flu shot.

• Like 2

My boys are getting theirs at their well-check in mid-October. DH and I will get ours done by then too. We are heading to Universal Florida and Disney World in mid-November and I want the vaccine in our system before we go ;-) !!! My boys have been getting the flu mist, but they are getting the shot this year.

• Like 1

I've had it several times in my life, but the last time was one of the worst cases I ever had. All three of us got the flu that year. Ds came down with it on New Year's Eve. A few days later I was down, and dh's symptoms came about a week after ds first got sick. Ds was four

Same here.  The last time I had it was in 2004 (the year of the flu vaccine shortage - I didn't get the shot that year) and I was so sick I thought I was dying.  I don't want to ever feel that way again if I can avoid it.  

We try to get ours in October.  My kids have had the flu in the past even with the shot so they must have been exposed to strains that weren't protected by the vaccine.  

• Like 1

Last season DS got it in March (had shot in September), but it was mild and short-lived, which I think was because he'd had the shot.

The previous season DH, DD#2, and I all got it in October, right before the kids were scheduled to get their shots. We get the shots as early as we can now. We happened to be in the pediatrician's office a couple of weeks ago when DD#2 had an earache, and it happened to be the first day that they were giving shots, and the ped was happy to go ahead and give it to all three of my kids.

Me, I tried to get one at two different pharmacies today, but apparently they can only file with our prescription insurance and not with our medical insurance, so the flu shot wouldn't be covered there. So I'm going to call my doctor's office tomorrow and schedule a time to come in for one. 

• Like 1

My daughter got it last week at a well child visit.  DS and I will go probably in about a month.  I've gotten flu immunizations here for all of us at the Target clinic.  Which is great because we show up at opening on a weekday, no line, get the immunization, go wash hands, and get some shopping done.  ;)

We have had it EVERY year we didn't get immunized.  It is so flipping miserable.  We had to go the ER with DD when she was like 4 and had it.  Flu is the worst!

• Like 2

https://flunearyou.org/report/thanks

I use this site each week to report...if you sign up you can report and see how much activity there is around you in your community and state. 

We get our shots as soon as the all the soldiers have gotten theirs usually mid- October for us.

Edited by TammyinTN
  • Like 1

https://flunearyou.org/report/thanks

I use this site each week to report...if you sign up you can report and see how much activity there is around you in your community and state. 

We get our shots as soon as the all the soldiers have gotten theirs usually mid- October for us.

That's a neat site - esp since they show CDC data as well as user reported.  It still seems quite minimal for our area, but since it takes the vaccine two weeks to work, we all need to figure out when to get it before active cases come into our areas I guess.

I think I'm leaning toward getting it sometime in the next two weeks rather than waiting until later in Oct.  We will be traveling and one can get exposed to quite a bit when traveling.

• Like 1

Our pediatrician's office holds their vaccination clinics in October. I tried to get a shot at the pharmacy last year and my insurance wouldn't pay for it there--I had to go to my doctor (very stupid on their part). I think October is fine for the west coast. I've looked at the CDC Flu Watch regularly for the past few years, and flu waves travel east to west in this country. The east coast will start seeing cases first. To me it seems like the west coast gets hit after everyone returns from their Christmas vacation travels, bringing illness with them. I would guess that flu peaks here in February usually. 

Edited by Ali in OR

My son, a pharmacy tech here in Al, says he answered six calls for Tamiflu on Sunday so apparently we are already having flu.

I live in AL, too, and our pharmacist stated that they have been filling Tamiflu in the last few weeks. Flu season hit early this year. Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 1

My sons immunologist makes us wait till end of october to get it.He always says its best to get it a little later since the holidays brings people together and flu spreads faster than any other time.

Ofcourse there have been years that it has come early but he likes us to wait as he feels its effective for 6 months.

So every year we go a week before halloween to get it.

• Like 1

I thought I'd read a few years ago or something that it lasted about 9 months. I got the shot on Aug 15 when picking up meds at Target. I did say to myself that they seem to have it out earlier and earlier every year (last year I got it Aug 28, iirc), and that there's no way I'd take it even earlier than mid-August. FWIW, I used to get the flu every 2-3 years I'm pretty sure (only once had an actual lab test, but flu is you're fine, and then BOOM, aches, and fever, and everything in just like 15 min and it takes well over a week to get better), and I haven't had the flu any year I've been vaccinated (I do get every other respiratory bug though... sigh).

• Like 1

If you are concerned about waiting, you might consider taking a vitamin D3 supplement, at least until you get the shot.  Some claim it helps. 

As far as we're concerned, I'm pretty sure our Vit D levels are just fine.  We're outside a lot and I can't actually recall the last time we used sunscreen...  We have pretty defined "Farmer's Tans."

I'm pretty pleased with my immune system overall.  Even when we get a common cold, it only lasts a couple of days.  I think we get one of those per year.  Digestive issues are rare too.  It's been over a year since we had one of those - then several did - eating the same food - so that likely came from the food or a sick food handler.

I still plan on getting the flu shot, but I'm not super concerned about now vs another month or so.  Our next (planned) traveling date is near the beginning of Oct, so we do need to decide "before" or "after."  Our major winter traveling occurs in Feb, but we also visit family over Thanksgiving and Christmas, so ideally, I want anything helpful effective for those mostly.

I know I should get our family vaccinated by October, but every year I dread the shot and put it off... I always have a strong reaction or immune response or something, that puts me in bed with extreme fatigue, a fever, splitting headache and body aches from about 6 hours after the shot to a few days later.  I need to wait until an event-free weekend to get it, when dh can take care of everything while I lay around in my robe, miserable.

Just typing this makes me anxious about it coming up again!

I know I should get our family vaccinated by October, but every year I dread the shot and put it off... I always have a strong reaction or immune response or something, that puts me in bed with extreme fatigue, a fever, splitting headache and body aches from about 6 hours after the shot to a few days later.  I need to wait until an event-free weekend to get it, when dh can take care of everything while I lay around in my robe, miserable.

Just typing this makes me anxious about it coming up again!

Honestly, I'm not sure that's better than the flu! My son has a similar reaction, and we just skip that vaccine for him now. The one time he had the flu he wasn't much sicker than that anyway. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm not sure that's better than the flu! My son has a similar reaction, and we just skip that vaccine for him now. The one time he had the flu he wasn't much sicker than that anyway. 

When I had H1N1 during the pandemic year, I found out how much worse the flu is!

I don't get vaccinated every year, but feel like the whole family has to when I'm pregnant or there's a baby/toddler in the house.  Homeschooling will make me even more reluctant, since the older kids won't be exposed to the classroom petri dish every day.

• Like 2