Menu

Private voice lessons - how much do you pay?

klmama

We pay about 27 per half hour. Both my kids take lessons. One takes a 45 minute lesson and the other gets 30 minutes.

ETA this is with a young performing artist who holds a masters degree in vocal performance. We get a small discount for pre paying 8 lessons and having 2 kids. $30 for 30 minutes is probably average for a well qualified teacher. Under 20 would be a well qualified amateur teaching. And you can go way up from there. We actually pay quite a bit more for violin and piano at the moment (more experienced teachers in a well established program with community and beautiful performance spaces). The voice teacher comes to our house and rarely hosts performances.

Edited by WoolySocks

It should be about the rate of other private lessons in your region (and this will vary pretty widely depending on the COL etc...). In our area, a half-hour music lesson from a degreed instructor is in the $13-$15 range. We've paid that for guitar, violin, and voice lessons.

Do you live in a low COL area? That seems really cheap to me.

• Like 3

I live near Merry and our low prices for services are related to this town's economic depression.  It's hard to find a job here, let alone a job that pays well. So people who provide such services are often working for low prices in order to find clients who can afford to pay.  It's better than not having any clients at all.  I'm a math tutor and my prices are crazy low compared to most places. But it's due to the specific issues facing our city. 

So...not really low cost of living, as utilities and property taxes are quite high. But extras- lessons, plumbers, movie tickets...those are lower than average.  

• Like 1

I live near Merry and our low prices for services are related to this town's economic depression. It's hard to find a job here, let alone a job that pays well. So people who provide such services are often working for low prices in order to find clients who can afford to pay. It's better than not having any clients at all. I'm a math tutor and my prices are crazy low compared to most places. But it's due to the specific issues facing our city.

So...not really low cost of living, as utilities and property taxes are quite high. But extras- lessons, plumbers, movie tickets...those are lower than average.

Thanks for the info. Ugh. That's awful. High expenses with low wages, blah!

$15 for 30 minutes. My youngest takes lessons once a week.  TX - low cost of living.

Better deal - take dual credit at the local 4 year university. Get a one credit class (less than $200) of small group (2-3) voice lessons - that is 15 1 hour lessons. Can't beat that.

My dd's have taken them for about $60 for 45 minutes.  Several professional singers have told me to be very, very careful about who you choose to give voice lessons to your child.  They can do more damage than good.  I don't know the age of your child, but we were also told on many occasions to wait on voice lessons until at least high school.  

• Like 2

My dd's have taken them for about $60 for 45 minutes.  Several professional singers have told me to be very, very careful about who you choose to give voice lessons to your child.  They can do more damage than good.  I don't know the age of your child, but we were also told on many occasions to wait on voice lessons until at least high school.  

Yes, there are a lot of bad ones out there.  My kids do voice as a kind of secondary thing with their piano teacher who also runs a kids choir, and its a very natural approach, and to a large degree about musicality.  But I've seen voice lessons at the place my dd8 used to take guitar, and I wasn't impressed at all - the kids all seemed to want to sing R&B style music with microphones, and it was fairly awful, and I don't think at all healthy.

• Like 2

I live near Merry and our low prices for services are related to this town's economic depression.  It's hard to find a job here, let alone a job that pays well. So people who provide such services are often working for low prices in order to find clients who can afford to pay.  It's better than not having any clients at all.  I'm a math tutor and my prices are crazy low compared to most places. But it's due to the specific issues facing our city. 

Yes, although I will say that housing seems much less expensive here than in many areas--we moved here from the suburbs of a large city 18 years ago--and not even one of the more expensive suburbs--and our 1600 square foot home here is nearly twice the size of the townhome we were able to afford there, and still cost less! We couldn't touch a single family dwelling there by a long shot. (and we have a home that is in the right range to not have lost value...at least supposedly. We'll see if we ever try to sell. The city's condition has really affected housing prices and I try not to think ahead about things like that!)

Anyway I do find whenever things like this are discussed that rates really vary widely.

Agree about watching out for voice teachers (dd's teacher was definitely one that wouldn't teach before high school).

Edited by MerryAtHope
  • Like 1