Menu

How much do you spend on shoes?

DawnM

I hate spending a lot on shoes.  

Pre-kids I loved to shop.  I was thin and liked cute clothing, and they looked good on me.  I had a career and bought clothing and shoes.  Mind you, I never bought anything over $100 each, but I would often find things on sale in the $30-$50 range and didn't bat an eye at buying a few pair.

I need shoes.  I only have ONE pair I can wear to work.  I want at least 2 more pair but the kind I want are $85 new but about $40-$45 on some sale sights.

I should just go ahead and get two pair, right?

I feel like I should wait for a paycheck first, but I really need them by the time school starts.

• Like 1

I buy shoes whenever I find ones that fit my (small with very high arches) feet. For example, I went to DSW last week looking for replacement leather sandals on the dressier side. I couldn't find any sandals that fit, but I did find taupe kitten heels w a strap and dark tan taller heels. Both are neutral enough to wear for multiple occasions. The kitten heels were clearanced to $35 and the others were $65.

Buy a second pair before work starts!

• Like 1

I would buy the two pairs on sale that you need.

My hubby buys me shoes off Nordstrom Rack and Bloomingdales Outlet. I get like 8 new pairs a year, four boots and four shoes. Once the sole wears off my ankles will hurt.

When I was working, I had at least three pairs of work shoes per year and they were over a hundred each. My job was deskbound about half the time but there were days where it was standing from 7am to 11pm for marketing events.

If you know they'll work for you, buy them! If you haven't used them under similar circumstances, I'd buy one and wait and see how they do.

I buy nice shoes so I don't have to replace them often, and I wear an 10.5 so it's a huge pain to find good ones that fit. Few are made in 10.5, and 10 is too small and 11 usually too big.

If you know they'll work for you, buy them! If you haven't used them under similar circumstances, I'd buy one and wait and see how they do.

I buy nice shoes so I don't have to replace them often, and I wear an 10.5 so it's a huge pain to find good ones that fit. Few are made in 10.5, and 10 is too small and 11 usually too big.

This is pretty much all I used to wear to work so I know they will work.

I found that slightly more expensive shoes outlast cheap shoes by many years. They are better constructed, more comfortable, and, in the long run, teh financially responsible choice.

If you can afford the initial investment, buy the shoes.

I can't wear cheap shoes and actually walk or stand for long in them.  I know that about myself.

I am down to very few shoes right now!  I have just let it go and let it go.

• Like 1

I probably spend about $80 per pair at DSW for good shoes for work. If I find a good style that fits well at a good price, I will even buy multiples of the same shoe at once. It is good to have at least 2 pairs that you can rotate, so they can air out and they will last longer.

I am hard to fit, so I can't be too picky.  I buy Naturalizer leather shoes (online to get the right size), and I usually pay in the neighborhood of $50-$70 for work shoes.  However, I use them for decades, so it's worth it.

I don't know why you want to have 3 pairs of work shoes.  If it's really necessary, you may as well go ahead and get it over with.  :)  If it's just a long term goal, and cash is tight, I'd buy one now and one later.

• Like 1

Pre-kids I loved to shop. I was thin and liked cute clothing, and they looked good on me. I had a career and bought clothing and shoes. Mind you, I never bought anything over $100 each, but I would often find things on sale in the $30-$50 range and didn't bat an eye at buying a few pair.

I need shoes. I only have ONE pair I can wear to work. I want at least 2 more pair but the kind I want are $85 new but about $40-$45 on some sale sights.

I feel like I should wait for a paycheck first, but I really need them by the time school starts.

I would get those sale shoes for sure.

Pre-kids I loved to shop.  I was thin and liked cute clothing, and they looked good on me.  I had a career and bought clothing and shoes.  Mind you, I never bought anything over $100 each, but I would often find things on sale in the $30-$50 range and didn't bat an eye at buying a few pair.

I need shoes.  I only have ONE pair I can wear to work.  I want at least 2 more pair but the kind I want are $85 new but about $40-$45 on some sale sights.

I very much considered work shoes a mandatory extension of my 'uniform' and I paid accordingly. For me this is a no-brainer:

1. It's an investment in terms of quality, not a frivolous purchase. You'll wear these regularly.

2. It's an investment in terms of time, not something to try to deal with once school starts (if need arises).

3. It's an investment in terms of outlay, not a cheaper pair that will need more frequent replacing.

To me shoes are like mattresses - both are something we spend a significant amount of time "in" or "on" and neither are a time to skimp. I always figure one-ply TP and generic groceries exist so we can splurge on the things that truly matter LOL. Like most investments, the time to invest is at the beginning. Don't think twice about it, buy the two pair now.

• Like 3

This is pretty much all I used to wear to work so I know they will work.

Hopefully they haven't "improved" them since the last time you bought the shoes. I tried to rebuy a pair of sneakers I loved and they suck now. Good luck with everything!

• Like 2

I am hard to fit, so I can't be too picky.  I buy Naturalizer leather shoes (online to get the right size), and I usually pay in the neighborhood of $50-$70 for work shoes.  However, I use them for decades, so it's worth it.

I don't know why you want to have 3 pairs of work shoes.  If it's really necessary, you may as well go ahead and get it over with.  :)  If it's just a long term goal, and cash is tight, I'd buy one now and one later.

Well, I said two pair, do you really think 2 or 3 pairs you wear 5 days per week is excessive?

I have hard to fit feet. Generally I hate spending money. For clothing I shop the clearance and sale racks, and I don't buy things that are more than $15 or $20. I have to really think about whether a $20 shirt is worth it before I'll open my wallet.

But I have to pay more for shoes. I can't find cheaper shoes that fit me. So $40 is a good deal for me. My most expensive pairs were around $100, but I only have a couple of those.

I wear the same shoes for years. I don't buy trendy styles. They have to be comfortable or they will sit in my closet, unworn. So I'm picky.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and buy the ones you found. Then I would make them last for a few years.

• Like 1

Hopefully they haven't "improved" them since the last time you bought the shoes. I tried to rebuy a pair of sneakers I loved and they suck now. Good luck with everything!

What are you talking about?  I didn't even mention the brand I am getting.

What are you talking about?  I didn't even mention the brand I am getting.

I assume she just means that sometimes when you stay with a brand for years they up and change it and not for the better.  So you may think you are getting the same shoe, but you aren't.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for shoes in terms of quality vs price.  I bought cheap sneaks at Walmart and I think they are really good.  I then bought a more expensive pair on-line name brand and I hate them. They hurt my feet.  I don't get it!

• Like 5

I assume she just means that sometimes when you stay with a brand for years they up and change it and not for the better.  So you may think you are getting the same shoe, but you aren't.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for shoes in terms of quality vs price.  I bought cheap sneaks at Walmart and I think they are really good.  I then bought a more expensive pair on-line name brand and I hate them. They hurt my feet.  I don't get it!

Ah, ok.  That makes more sense.

• Like 1

I try to buy shoes that can be resoled, as it seems cheaper and less wasteful in the long run. In hindsight, I also should have bought 2 pairs whenever I found some that I liked -- with outsourcing there is no guarantee that a pair of shoes made tomorrow will be made in the same factory, by the same people, or to the same quality as shoes made yesterday.

I try to buy shoes that can be resoled, as it seems cheaper and less wasteful in the long run. In hindsight, I also should have bought 2 pairs whenever I found some that I liked -- with outsourcing there is no guarantee that a pair of shoes made tomorrow will be made in the same factory, by the same people, or to the same quality as shoes made yesterday.

I would not even know where to have shoes resoled. 

My husband had stuff like that when he lived in Germany, but since being here it turned out to be too difficult to find anyone who does it.

I say buy the shoes......and this is from someone who cringes at spending than $5 for a pair of jeans or $4 for a top.

Then again I bought $150 tennis shoes a few weeks ago. I have very hard to fit feet and was in physical therapy for a year for knee, ankle and arch issues. Best money I ever spent.

• Like 1

I would not even know where to have shoes resoled.

My husband had stuff like that when he lived in Germany, but since being here it turned out to be too difficult to find anyone who does it.

Here resole can cost $10 and up per sole. Not worth it unless the shoe is comfy and pricy to buy the equivalent model. I did resole the heels for a pair of leather work shoes that was a few hundreds new and very comfy.

• Like 1

Get the shoes! It sounds like you need and want them.

I spend less per pair than my husband (size 15, narrow foot).

I probably average $100 per pair, but with the exception of my running shoes, I wear them forever. Prior to this summer all my non-running shoes were close to 10 years old. I try to stick to quality brands that last. As far as having shoes resoled, my husband has had dress shoes and work boots done. The prices vary but his work boots are most expensive to redo running about $50. They started out at $200, so it's still a deal. I had new heals put on a pair of shoes a couple months back, that was $7.

When you asked about shoes, I thought about running shoes.

Running shoes are about $120.

My tap shoes were about $90.

My west coast dancing shoes were $80.

My east coast dancing shoes were $40. 

My bowling shoes were used for $10. (Since I don't bowl much I wouldn't have been willing to pay more)

My pool shoes were $12.

My black dress shoes were $30. Practical flat black shoes. I would never were my dancing shoes outside since they have suede bottoms.

• Like 1

Well, I said two pair, do you really think 2 or 3 pairs you wear 5 days per week is excessive?

Not excessive. Shoes last longer if not worn day in and day out. IME 3 pairs of work shoes I rotated through lasted longer than buying 3 pairs in succession as one wore out. The cobbler we used told me that letting the shoes dry out from the moisture of your feet between wearings made the leather last longer and I'm no one to argue with a cobbler.

• Like 2

Not excessive. Shoes last longer if not worn day in and day out. IME 3 pairs of work shoes I rotated through lasted longer than buying 3 pairs in succession as one wore out. The cobbler we used told me that letting the shoes dry out from the moisture of your feet between wearings made the leather last longer and I'm no one to argue with a cobbler.

You have a cobbler?  I don't even know where one would exist these days.

• Like 1

You have a cobbler? I don't even know where one would exist these days.

We haven't been in to see him in a long time but yes, there is a shoe repair place that I used to go to for years. He did everything from stretch shoes for my odd sized foot to resole shoes to repair heels. Now that I don't wear heels or dressy shoes though, I haven't been to see him in 3 years and that was for my husband's shoes. My dress shoes don't wear out sitting in the closet, lol. He's not the only one in the area though. There must be at least 6 others.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

Take care of your feet! I bought cheap shoes for years even though I worked on my feet all day. I now have all kinds of feet problems. It's tough to know your podiatrist too well and know you will be seeing a foot doctor the rest of your life when you're still childbearing age. Sigh. I can only wear the clunky rocker shoes or clogs now. I HAVE to wear shoes anytime I walk more than to another room and back here and there or my feet hurt. I can sometimes get a deal on the limited types I can wear for around $70. My broken in "house shoes" Dansko clogs started to fall apart last week and I had to replace them with another roomy slip on shoe for around the house. $90 on sale for around the house shoes! Knock off clogs don't cut it because they don't have a tough enough insole. I do use a knock off pair for yard work in short spurts. A few days ago, frustrated with my shoe dilemma, I splurged on a pair of running shoes with orthotics for public use. Unlike my other shoes, these don't make me feel like I am going to fall over from the rocker sole. $225 with tax and the orthotic. The only shoe in the store that worked for my feet. The shoes are awesome and I will buy a replacement pair when needed. Hopefully, they will still be made the same way when I can afford another pair in a year or so. Be blessed to find shoes in $50-$80 range that have work well for your feet.

Edited by TX native

If you need 3 pairs then buy 2 more.  It's not up to me what's excessive for you.  Myself, I would wear the same pair of shoes all week if it matched all my clothes, but I don't keep my shoes on all the time.  (Even at the office, I would slip my shoes off under my desk.)

I also used to have a cobbler (he retired).  He recommended that you do not wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row so as to let them air properly.  Dh has two pairs of very expensive Italian made work shoes; he rotates daily.  He replaces a pair every two years, and overall, his yearly shoe budget is less than keeping any one of my kids in shoes.

If you need 3 pairs then buy 2 more.  It's not up to me what's excessive for you.  Myself, I would wear the same pair of shoes all week if it matched all my clothes, but I don't keep my shoes on all the time.  (Even at the office, I would slip my shoes off under my desk.)

Yeah, the one pair I can wear are wearing out, but they are the only pair I currently have that are good enough to wear to work, meaning the right kind of shoes.  Most of my shoes are flip flops or tennis shoes.

I can't take my shoes off at work, and walk around most of the day, so I need to have decent shoes.

Edited by DawnM

Buy the good shoes.

I shop $0.99 day at the thrift store for clothes, and snap up Old Navy deals if under $5 for the girls... But I wear $25 Teva flip flops, and $125.00 Dr. Martens shoes, and $50.00ish Ryka sneakers. I have exactly 3 pairs of shoes. Dr Martens are about 10 years old, Tevas last me 3 years, and sneakers get replaced every year.

Cheap shoes cost me 10 times as much in appointments at the podiatrist and chiropractor because everything hurts.

• Like 2

Good shoes are something that I consider worth the investment, so I spend a lot of money initially on good shoes. I hate "disposable" shoes, except for flip flops or sneakers, so I only buy high quality handmade shoes. I also have shoes made for me every five years or so. I choose classic shoes that I can have resoled and repaired if necessary that will last me the rest of my life. So I don't have a lot of shoes, but the shoes that I have are very good. I definitely believe in quality over quantity. I'd say buy the best quality shoes you can afford - you'll probably end up saving money over the long run.

Cheap shoes are not worth it, imo.

I often ask for shoes for my birthday - this year I bought a pair of red boots for winter for $150. They'll last me around 5 years ( with a reheeling along the way). 

Shoes I buy for $30 will last one season, if that. I'd rather buy a pair I love, and that fits, and lasts. I'm still wearing a pair of knee high boots from 4 years ago, same price. 

Worth shelling out for if you can put together the initial cash. 

This is what I particularly hate about shoes though.  You could spend a lot of money on shoes that only last one season.  Price is not always a good indicator with shoes. 

Just lamenting my shoes. I'm not criticizing yours. ??

Gotcha.  I was confused.

I am getting Clark's by the way.  I started wearing them when I was pregnant because I didn't have to bend over and strap them or tie them, and I loved them, so I kept wearing them from then on.  My oldest is 18.5 years old now, so  I have been wearing them 19 years!

Before that I wore Easy Spirit and Naturalizer, but both of those brands seem to have gone downhill and Easy Spirit used to make a pump that they claimed felt like a basketball shoe, the commercial even had women playing basketball in them, and I loved them.  They were indeed really comfortable.  But they no longer make them.

But I have no need to wear pumps anymore, other than for dressing up, but definitely not to work.  I used to wear hose or tights, back when they were more popular, and pumps were great then.

Technically I can wear tennis shoes to work, but I like to wear capris and they don't look as nice with those.

I would not find that excessive. For one thing, I actually like having different colors of the shoes I wear to work, because I wear different outfits. Also, shoes may get wet and may not be fully dry the next  morning.

Wearing the same black shoes five days a week for a decade gets really boring. I can see that for some people, financial reality demands that - but I would not consider possessing several pairs of shoes one can wear to work "excessive".

Edited by regentrude

I spend more than I like, but I have orthopedic problems and am very active. When I shop for shoes, it's frankly quite an ordeal because I have to accommodate my orthotics, high arches, scar tissue, and a bad toe.

I bought some walking shoes in May and went to about a dozen stores before I found something that worked for me. I wear walking shoes for almost anything formal because I'll never be able to wear heels again (too many surgeries). I wore these shoes on vacation where we did a lot of walking, and they were so comfortable that I just bought two more pairs because they're hard to find. They're boring, black Rockports, but they work. I paid about $70.

I also have traditional running shoes that I use for every day wear. These run around $90/pair and are replaced every 4 months because they break down. I can always tell when the time is coming because certain areas of one foot start getting sore. I go to a local running store every other year or so to have them make sure that I've got the right pair.