Menu

S/o (sort of) Pet Ownership is Becoming Elitist.

Ginevra

.  And worried this vet is going to shame me into extreme medical treatment.

This is why I don't try to tell everyone about my choices or at least try to justify them.  I know that I've carefully considered all sides.  But no one else, including the vet, knows all the variables. 

About six months after Libby was hit by a car, I was in a pet store with her.  A woman I'd never seen before came up to me.  "Oh the poor thing.  Did you even treat her?"  What flashed through my mind was an extremely sarcastic, "No, I let her drag herself the five miles home in her own blood." but instead I just said "yes".  And I explained that she feels no pain since she is paralyzed.  That satisfied her more than if I had explained the Care Credit, the emergency vet and the amount of money we spent on her in an attempt to justify myself. 

• Like 1

Nervous about our next vet visit.  And worried this vet is going to shame me into extreme medical treatment.

Honestly, fluids and maybe a probiotic supplement is all they are gong to expect you to do. Seriously. And vets know that some cats just can't be given fluids at home. Some can, but some can't. They get that, or at least a good one will. We had plenty of clients that couldn't do it, and they kept the cat on a special diet (which reduced staring on the kidneys), maybe an antacid as kidney issues can cause acid build up in the stomach which makes them nauseated, and when the cat was no longer doing well euthanasia was a humane and viable option. No shame, no guilt. 

Honestly, fluids and maybe a probiotic supplement is all they are gong to expect you to do. Seriously. And vets know that some cats just can't be given fluids at home. Some can, but some can't. They get that, or at least a good one will. We had plenty of clients that couldn't do it, and they kept the cat on a special diet (which reduced staring on the kidneys), maybe an antacid as kidney issues can cause acid build up in the stomach which makes them nauseated, and when the cat was no longer doing well euthanasia was a humane and viable option. No shame, no guilt. 

Thanks Katie!  :) 

My only regret with this cat is not getting him on an anti-anxiety med when he was younger.  I swear he got sick when we left because of stress, let him self get dehydrated, etc.  But if he is going to go, I don't want to make his days anxiety producing torture for him!  I really think if we could fatten him up a bit, he could recover.  We'll see.

• Like 1

I agree - it is getting very elitist. Our city has now mandated that all pets must have a microchip and be spayed/neutered to get a license. While yes they do chip clinics, it's still $30 PLUS getting the pet across town to the shelter, since that is where they do all the clinics. If you have a small pet you possibly can take them on the bus in a carrier, but otherwise if you don't have a car you're just out of luck. 

Our cat now was a stray that just stayed. The one before that was a stray we found as a very young kitten. Neither have been registered because of the requirements. 

• Like 1

My only regret with this cat is not getting him on an anti-anxiety med when he was younger.

If it makes you feel any better, with humans getting mental health meds right can be a lot of trial and error, including having lots of negative side effects before finding the right medication(s). Obviously, humans aren't cats, but it's not always as easy as just popping a pill and everything being all better.

• Like 1

I know people that have had rats for pets. So I guess the idea of taking one to a vet doesn't sound so crazy to me. Maybe we should ask Ron Weasley about this.

The idea of killing one in any matter makes me uncomfortable. Sometimes I feel guilty just killing bugs. I used to let spiders out of the house but haven't done that in some time.Maybe just look dangerous and I'm not good at identifying good vs bad (though I've looked at charts before). Oh yeah and right now I have a huge bite that I suspect is from a spider. Not making me a huge fan tonight.

heartlikealion, you are so awesome and kind.  :thumbup1: I *love* these humane spider catchers.

Sorry about your bite, though. 

• Like 1

Someone on our neighborhood facebook page just posted after finding a rat "suffering" in her back yard.  A rat.  Like the kind that burrow into your attic and are not pets, in any way.  The recommendation was to take it to the emergency wildlife vet in the area.

No.

Just no.

Why not, and why did you put suffering in quotes? Do you think rats are unable to feel pain and fear? They are actually remarkably intelligent.

I've told this story here before, but it bears telling again. My friend had a pet rat when she was young. This particular rat loved chocolate above else (yeah, probably not the best for him). He had been given a chocolate Easter egg and after nibbling it a little, hid it in his cage to enjoy later. The rat became unwell and was taken to the vet (this family is not well off by any means, but loves their animals). The vet said the rat was not long for the world. My friend came home and began weeping due to the bad news. The rat went into his cage, took out his half-eaten chocolate egg, and laid it in front of my friend. True story. If only humans would be so kind.

Edited by MercyA

I agree - it is getting very elitist. Our city has now mandated that all pets must have a microchip and be spayed/neutered to get a license. While yes they do chip clinics, it's still $30 PLUS getting the pet across town to the shelter, since that is where they do all the clinics. If you have a small pet you possibly can take them on the bus in a carrier, but otherwise if you don't have a car you're just out of luck. 

Our cat now was a stray that just stayed. The one before that was a stray we found as a very young kitten. Neither have been registered because of the requirements. 

I don't see a $30 expense as "elite" level of care. Getting to vets also requires transportation (assistance of a friend or the use of a pet friendly taxi).  The purposes of mandated s/n & identification programs is to prevent what you're describing - stray cats wandering around a community & reproducing - and ultimately to prevent the millions of animals which need to be killed every year in shelters. 

This is what's bugging me about these conversations. It's all about 'oh it's so inconvenient for the human' 

Can we think a moment about the animals, needing vet care, needing policies which help them have good pain free lives. 

Or if you really don't actually care about the animals that much, maybe spare a thought for the shelter workers who spend their days taking animals to the back to be killed because nobody prevented them being born, nobody put ID on them so they could be reunited with owners, nobody came looking, nobody thought about providing a good standard of care & filling out an application to adopt which would be accepted.  

I could give you graphic images but I won't. I'll give you non graphic but haunting one. https://www.thedodo.com/fate-of-unwanted-shelter-dogs-photo-1415452152.html

Stats are hard to come by  because few keep them or share them nationally but estimates are the in the US 3 million cats & dogs are killed every year.

Approx 80% are perfectly healthy and fine. 

70% of cats entering US shelters are killed. 

I used killed deliberately, because euthanasia is a procedure to relieve pain and suffering. This is killing of a surplus population. 

If we're animal lovers - & I think most people on this thread are - we can't stand by and let this continue happening, can we? 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 4

Dh just matter of factly and quickly stood up and stomped on it. Then got a grocery trash bag to pick it up and throw it in the outside trash. Then some peroxide to clean up a few drops of evidence on the carpet. The man visiting turned about five shades of green and said, "Good god. I was thinking you just needed some traps!" It might not have been pretty but it was sure as heck more humane and efficient than glue traps and poison.

I actually agree with you on that, although I would have tried to chase it out the door (and put out live traps later). Glue traps and poison should be banned, seriously.

Dogs cost money. It's not just the initial costs, it's food and healthcare. Many families don't have enough disposable cash to responsibly care for a pet. We don't. It breaks my heart - it's all ds wants - but it is what it is.

I wouldn't call it elite. But definitely a middle class option.

Sadie, if I won the lottery, I'd want to buy your son a dog and a lifetime of care for him or her. :grouphug:

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

I don't see a $30 expense as "elite" level of care. Getting to vets also requires transportation (assistance of a friend or the use of a pet friendly taxi).  The purposes of mandated s/n & identification programs is to prevent what you're describing - stray cats wandering around a community & reproducing - and ultimately to prevent the millions of animals which need to be killed every year in shelters. 

This is what's bugging me about these conversations. It's all about 'oh it's so inconvenient for the human' 

Around here, you can get strays fixed really cheap. I think we bought $10 vouchers for it when a stray had kittens in our yard, although that was several years ago. 

We managed to get mama and all but one kitten fixed (he was a tricky bugger). They all stayed around for a couple of years, and one stayed permanently. We feed her but don't bring her to the vet, she's pretty tame but I would never attempt to get her in a carrier - we used a trap when they were kittens. 

Assuming you get it fixed, do you think it's better or not to keep a cat without vet care and chipping? In my area, a different home is not really a choice, the shelters are overloaded with cats and kittens and it would get killed if you turned it in. 

• Like 1

Assuming you get it fixed, do you think it's better or not to keep a cat without vet care and chipping? In my area, a different home is not really a choice, the shelters are overloaded with cats and kittens and it would get killed if you turned it in. 

I know you're not asking me specifically, but I'd always much rather see a neutered outdoor cat with food and shelter than a cat being taken to a shelter where fear and death are a certainty. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

This is a difficult question because it gets so grey so quickly. When do things become neglect, kwim? 

We have some charities here whose main focus is providing low cost or free vet care, help with suddenly large vet bills, transportation to vets, even delivering kitty litter and food (for example to seniors who are just not able to lug a big bag home. In Canada we don't have as much of the free shipping with online shopping yet so it's not really an option for many). We also have a group who specializes in providing foster care to people who are temporarily unable to look after their pet - going into hospital, in between homes, women fleeing abusive situations (though a couple shelters now allow pets) etc.   There are all these little pockets of help needed to assist people in keeping their animals and overall, I think that's good. 

Having that otherwise loved & wanted animal enter the shelter or rescue system is something I think most of us would want to avoid.  But it does mean that you need people to donate their time & money to subsidize all these services to help others be able to keep their pets - & that's actually not a very easy sell. It's hard to fundraise for this so it ends up kind of being a side expense to other goals that the non profit is also doing.  Some of the causes resonate with people but many times, you're subsidizing people's financial foolishness and people are less keen to donate for that. 

Like when people ask for help, get it but then go and get another pet. Or want you to take the kittens but won't spay the mom, or will spay the mom but want to keep one of the kittens & don't want it fixed cause they might want to breed her later.  It's not getting through to them that this is not ok..... (my personal beef is the people who just can't pay for _____ but they've got tons of high end tattoos and a big screen tv and an instagram of Saturday night clubbing. Cause priorities.)

Many days you just have to conclude that far too many people suck. 

There was a story yesterday in our news about the number of animals surrendered to shelters because they were forced to move rentals and couldn't take the animal to the new rental. So yes, you need to be a homeowner to know you can reliably care for a pet in the long term. That to me seems like it puts it in the realm of elite.

• Like 1

There was a story yesterday in our news about the number of animals surrendered to shelters because they were forced to move rentals and couldn't take the animal to the new rental. So yes, you need to be a homeowner to know you can reliably care for a pet in the long term. That to me seems like it puts it in the realm of elite.

We have an ongoing petition to amend our provincial residential tenancy act to include a prohibition against discriminating against pet owners. 

Landlords would be able to ask for a damage deposit but wouldn't be able to refuse people based on pets, just as they can't based on having kids or being a certain race, religion, sexual orientation etc. 

I don't think we'll succeed this time around but each time we're getting more support. 

Quebec is even worse because they have one year leases - everyone moves on July  1.  That day is pet dumping day. 

There is a reason why landlords don't want to rent to people with pets.  They damage property if the pet owner isn't responsible.  When we were looking for rentals the houses that had pets, mainly dogs, stank of urine.  It's disgusting.  I do have a cat and our landlord didn't want to rent to us.  We agreed to a  substantial pet deposit.  As a pet owner myself there is no way I would want to rent to people with pets. I would be too afraid of getting an irresponsible pet  owner.  If I did it would only be for a single, spayed female cat.  No dogs at all and certainly not male animals.

we rent and have always rented; I totally understand being frustrated by being lumped in with bad tenants, especially when you can provide references, etc. that show you are in fact a good tenant.

However, I would not want the government to mandate that I rent my property (should I own it) to someone with pets.  That's not really a public issue, imo.  

It is hard to find a place to rent when you own pets - it is part of the reason we don't have any, because we want the most choice possible in terms of where to rent.  But I don't think I have some human right to own pets and live with them wherever I please.

• Like 2

We are landlords, and also property managers. We have allowed some pets with a pet deposit in our own rentals, but we can do nothing at all about properties we merely manage. The owner says no pets and that means no pets. In fact, we added restrictions against aquariums larger than 10 gallons for onr owner because the rental caught on fire due to overtaxed electrical outlets. Keeping big tanks for special fish.

Also, in defense of LL who don't want to go there - an animal can do an astounding amount of damage. The most expensive repirs we have had to do were because of pets.

Also, in defense of LL who don't want to go there - an animal can do an astounding amount of damage. The most expensive repirs we have had to do were because of pets.

Yep I have to admit our pets have been a bit destructive with our house so I get that too. Really doing something to address housing affordability would solve all these problems!

• Like 1

Eh. That might not be fair to say. We just have to make sure we look at homes that allow pets if we move. We currently rent and have an indoor cat. Pets are allowed here. I have seen apartment complexes that allow pets but include a pet fee.

I would like to believe if you are serious about keeping your pet, you will find a home that allows pets. Just like if you are determined to live in a one story home (let's say stairs are not practical for the tenants) you will find a one story home. When there's a will, there's a way... (at least that's my motto)

• Like 2

But then we can't complain about pet ownership being elitist because my criteria of taking your pet to a vet annually and getting appropriate nutrition, exercise and mental stimulation all pale next to being unable to get a pet because you're not an owner. 

In my city, real estate prices are extremely high; for a detached house, monthly mortgage costs are about 120% of median household income.  If you own in a condo or a townhouse, many strata councils also limit or prohibit pet ownership. We're on our way  to limiting pets to multi millionaires & it's not because of increased standards of care. 

In my family now I am a homeschool mom so the dogs are not left alone all day. We walk/run the dogs so there is no need for a dog walker. We use a crate for one dog and not the other (different needs).

I think it is today's frenetic lifestyle that gets in the way of having a dog and which can drive up the cost.

I've talked to Americans about pets before and am I right that pet insurance is not such a common thing with you?

We got our dog for free on a home-stay programme with a breeder; she sleeps on a cheap cushion; we walk her ourselves; Husband works from home so can let her out during the day if necessary; I brush, bathe and clip her myself (my Wahl clippers are working out so far at about USD7 per year) and we pay monthly for insurance so that her vet bills are covered.

An ex-colleague of mine, who had little leeway in his budget, was given a puppy and was able to manage the monthly insurance fee plus food costs.  However, he lives in Scotland and knows that he won't have to pay extra for his family's healthcare, so he probably feels more secure than someone comparable in the US.

I've talked to Americans about pets before and am I right that pet insurance is not such a common thing with you?

We got our dog for free on a home-stay programme with a breeder; she sleeps on a cheap cushion; we walk her ourselves; Husband works from home so can let her out during the day if necessary; I brush, bathe and clip her myself (my Wahl clippers are working out so far at about USD7 per year) and we pay monthly for insurance so that her vet bills are covered.

An ex-colleague of mine, who had little leeway in his budget, was given a puppy and was able to manage the monthly insurance fee plus food costs. However, he lives in Scotland and knows that he won't have to pay extra for his family's healthcare, so he probably feels more secure than someone comparable in the US.

Pet insurance is uncommon in the US, yes. Some vets have a type of insurance for their own practice; you pay one fee and then have free services if needed for that year.

But then we can't complain about pet ownership being elitist because my criteria of taking your pet to a vet annually and getting appropriate nutrition, exercise and mental stimulation all pale next to being unable to get a pet because you're not an owner.

In my city, real estate prices are extremely high; for a detached house, monthly mortgage costs are about 120% of median household income. If you own in a condo or a townhouse, many strata councils also limit or prohibit pet ownership. We're on our way to limiting pets to multi millionaires & it's not because of increased standards of care.

On the contrary; we can, because those are both facets of the same attitude.

Pet insurance is uncommon in the US, yes. Some vets have a type of insurance for their own practice; you pay one fee and then have free services if needed for that year.

I wonder why it's uncommon.  One would think it would be a moneymaker.  

• Like 1

I wonder why it's uncommon.  One would think it would be a moneymaker.  

My guess - and this is just a guess based on my own experience and limited observation of others - is that people aren't expecting to pay a lot for a pet illness, until it happens, and then it's too late to insure.

When our dog got sick, we spent far more on medical care than I would have ever thought I'd spend.   If the dog were mine alone, it would never have gotten that far, whether the money was available or not.  It just would not occur to  me to spend over $1000 on medical care (for one "event" or illness).  But, my family was not ready to give up, so, we did it.  I don't regret it, exactly.  I think my husband and kids really needed to do it.  We had the money - in savings, not just lying around, available for the spending - and everyone understands why we are not doing as many fun (requiring money) things this summer than we might have done otherwise.

If we ever have a pet again, I will look at insurance, for sure. 

An ex-colleague of mine, who had little leeway in his budget, was given a puppy and was able to manage the monthly insurance fee plus food costs.  However, he lives in Scotland and knows that he won't have to pay extra for his family's healthcare, so he probably feels more secure than someone comparable in the US.

I've seen brochures for pet insurance in every vet I've been to.  And yet I don't actually have it.  No real reason other than not wanting to pay a monthly bill, I guess.  But when Libby had her car accident we got CareCredit - a loan  that we were able to pay off with absolutely no interest by paying it off in six months.  I also don't pay as much as many people do on vet bills.  I go to the feedstore where I can get vaccines for a fraction of the price and give them myself.  I have learned how to take care of their teeth myself.  And yet when there has been a real problem we've rushed them to the vet, so we're not skimping on actual medical care. 

I clip my dogs as well.  I figure the clippers were paid for after two clippings.

• Like 1

I have people who don't understand the concept of farm dog.

No they don't come indoors.

They're Great Pyrs. They have a hugely heavy coat and they LOVE cold weather. They're happier in the dregs of January than any other time. Our dogs ROLL in the snow. They have two barns they snuggle down in when it's stormy. They LOVE the animals and they don't get bored because they have jobs.

They are HAPPY outside taking care of critters. They have great lives. Don't feel sorry for them because they can't come indoors and bond with people. They like us. We're kind to them . But they're really bonded to the sheep and cattle and one another.

Working dogs are just different and when you've given them their job, they're satisfied with that. It's one reason we only have Great Pyrs. I'm not a dog person and don't want one who is NEEDY of people, needing lots of training and companionship. I like our dogs because they are so independent. Great Pyrs are really the only dogs I'll have because I know I wouldn't give a companion dog what he would need.

• Like 5

Landlords would be able to ask for a damage deposit but wouldn't be able to refuse people based on pets

I could get on board with this, so long as the land lord could make the damage deposit as high as they wanted.

Our landlord (the ones who paid like $40k on surgery for their elderly dog who died soon thereafter) gave us $500 in compensation for the fact they hadn't had time to clean up before we moved in. It was absolutely not worth it. We had to go to a motel for a couple of days because my allergies were so bad, and there was no actual *damage* from the dog - just hair everywhere, including in the heater vents. I was sick for about 2 weeks while we kept cleaning up and hair kept blowing out of the heater vents (it was January in WNY), etc (and the only carpet is on the stairs, so it's not like the carpet was a big issue).

Oh, and fwiw, our landlord doesn't allow us to have any pets, not even a fish in a tiny fishbowl (not that I want one).

If I was a landlord, I'd make the pet deposit at least $5k, because professional cleaning of everything (including the entire heater ducts), and replacing all the carpet etc is not cheap, and when you rent out a place it should be possible for people with allergies to move in without getting physically ill from the dander and fur etc.

• Like 1

Not in my city. Vacancy rates as a WHOLE (not specifically pet friendly) are hovering around 0.8 in the city and 1.2 for the whole province. 

People with pets are reporting that about a 1/10 of listings will either say pets ok or not mention pets at all. 

It's crazy hard here to find a place to rent at all, never mind with pets. People get reference letters for their pets, make up resumes & portfolios for them, and are getting into bidding wars with other potential tenants trying to secure housing.

Not able to find place that will take your pet is the top reason for surrendering pets at shelter. It's a huge issue. 

• Like 1

Not in my city. Vacancy rates as a WHOLE (not specifically pet friendly) are hovering around 0.8 in the city and 1.2 for the whole province. 

People with pets are reporting that about a 1/10 of listings will either say pets ok or not mention pets at all. 

It's crazy hard here to find a place to rent at all, never mind with pets. People get reference letters for their pets, make up resumes & portfolios for them, and are getting into bidding wars with other potential tenants trying to secure housing.

Not able to find place that will take your pet is the top reason for surrendering pets at shelter. It's a huge issue. 

I was assuming the 8 percent quote was for United States across the board. So I was coming back with links that I also thought were talking about across the US. I believe you that there are issues in given areas. I just found the 8% quote hard to believe if it was referring to the US in general. I still can't find the link to the original article that was in reference to as I haven't read every page of this thread and there are various links throughout.

In my area it's really hard to find a decent rental (pet friendly or not). We lucked out. We were going to have to live close to an hour away from dh's job. I don't know how many of the places we toured were pet friendly since we didn't have a pet at the time and that wasn't important to me.

I was assuming the 8 percent quote was for United States across the board. So I was coming back with links that I also thought were talking about across the US. I believe you that there are issues in given areas. I just found the 8% quote hard to believe if it was referring to the US in general. I still can't find the link to the original article that was in reference to as I haven't read every page of this thread and there are various links throughout.

In my area it's really hard to find a decent rental (pet friendly or not). We lucked out. We were going to have to live close to an hour away from dh's job. I don't know how many of the places we toured were pet friendly since we didn't have a pet at the time and that wasn't important to me.

I believe hornblower does not live in the US.  But I could be mistaken.

I believe hornblower does not live in the US.  But I could be mistaken.

nope, I'm in Canada :) 

In the US it seems it's not quite as bad as some parts of Canada but "according to a 2012 study, 29 percent of dogs and 21 percent of cats surrendered to shelters are there because their owners couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t find housing that would accept them. ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s roughly half a million pets surrendered directly because of housing issues. " 

• Like 2

In the us is really rounds on where you live. Some cities are really awful and some aren't a problem at all.

In DFW, pets are almost impossible to get a rental for. And "big" dogs are flat out impossible. So my miniature poodle might not be a problem, if I can even find a place that will allow it, but my friend with a lab spent nearly 6 months trying to find anywhere that would allow a pet at all and allow one over 25lbs. Though rentals are much easier to find in my area - the pet deposit can be a LOT. Like so much you have to think they might as well say no pets. One of my sons was looking at apartments in his college town and he has a parakeet. Most wouldn't allow any pets at all, not even one parakeet and yes, that included fish. And the one he finally went with bc of overall rental cost and location to campus wants a $1000.oo pet deposit up front PLUS another $150 per month per bird as a "pet occupancy fee". It was MORE for a cat or dog. I have no idea what the fish tank fees were. That's no small bit of pocket change. And my son is a single adult without kids. Still, Eistein the parakeet will be staying at my house. Son just can't afford that. I was really shocked. I knew it was getting ridiculous expensive just like everything else it seems, but I didn't realize it had gotten quite that nuts.

I think this aspect of pet ownership was a good point to bring up. I can totally see how with the housing market being so brutal right now, owning a pet would be elitist if you felt had to buy a house in order to have one.

• Like 3

nope, I'm in Canada :) 

In the US it seems it's not quite as bad as some parts of Canada but "according to a 2012 study, 29 percent of dogs and 21 percent of cats surrendered to shelters are there because their owners couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t find housing that would accept them. ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s roughly half a million pets surrendered directly because of housing issues. " 

The cynical part of me wants to know how many of those pet owners actually could have settled for a less ideal rental that was pet friendly but chose to get rid of the pet because it was easier. Maybe the root of the problem wasn't availability but cost/location/etc.

I always wonder about this when I see posts on Facebook where people are looking for a good home for their pet.

• Like 1

Pet insurance.

*snort*

LMBO

You gotta be kidding.

Over half this country struggles to get human health care.

If people want to pay the premiums, why not? My dog is part of my family. And caring about her doesn't mean I don't care about humans, too.

• Like 1

If people want to pay the premiums, why not? My dog is part of my family. And caring about her doesn't mean I don't care about humans, too.

When so many citizens CAN'T pay human medical bills, it comes off as "let them eat cake" to pitch medical coverage as a solution for their pets. It's an elitist POV that ignores the reality of the common pet owner (or wannabe pet owner) in the states, At least to me it is. Bc people first. There's only so much money to go around in any given household and most of the households using common sense on limited budgets don't give their pets better healthcare than themselves and their fellow humans.

I have no issue with the principle of pet getting basic medical treatment in general.

• Like 1

We have been telling DD for a decade that she can have a dog when we own a house. Not messing with the hazards of trying to find a place that allows pets on top of all our other difficulties.

Although, the place we're in now DOES allow pets, which is good because my BIL and SIL are staying with us for an indefinite period, with their dog.

Pet insurance isn't uncommon here, in my part of Canada.

To my mind it's a financial decision - is it likely to save you money or not.  Most people I know who have it crunched the numbers and thought it was worthwhile.

Tenant rights in North America are the pits.  I think it is because they tend to be relativly lower income.  Places where a lot of people rent seem to have much stronger tenant rights.

Pet insurance for us us definitely a sane financial decision. It's not that expensive, nothing like the human insurance I hear mentioned on the boards, and you can choose what level of treatment you want to insure for. It avoids financial shock and allows you to think through in advance what kind of treatment you are prepared to afford.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

When so many citizens CAN'T pay human medical bills, it comes off as "let them eat cake" to pitch medical coverage as a solution for their pets. It's an elitist POV that ignores the reality of the common pet owner (or wannabe pet owner) in the states, At least to me it is. Bc people first. There's only so much money to go around in any given household and most of the households using common sense on limited budgets don't give their pets better healthcare than themselves and their fellow humans.

I have no issue with the principle of pet getting basic medical treatment in general.

Well, first of all, I never said or implied that poor people should buy pet insurance if they can't afford the basic necessities of life.  :confused:

Maybe I'm misreading you, but you seem to have disdain for people who dare to care about animals when there are other big problems in the world. Seriously, people can care about more than one thing at once. Years ago, I was both a passionate pro-life activist and an ardent (almost) vegan, because life matters. Compassion doesn't have to be limited.

Maybe it would help you to look at it this way. You buy car insurance, right? A little money to potentially save you a lot of money later. Guess what? Quite a few people care more about their pets than about their cars.  :)

You might say it's more logical for people to spend money on car insurance. People need their cars to get to work and to school and all of that. True. But, you know what else is really, really important and healing and awesome? Love. And pets give that to a lot of people who really need it.

I am NOT saying that people without money for necessities should run out and buy pet insurance. But if people can afford it, and it makes financial sense to them, as it clearly does to some people on this very forum (see below), I don't understand why they should be mocked ("Snort," "LMBO") or called elitist.

To my mind it's a financial decision - is it likely to save you money or not.  Most people I know who have it crunched the numbers and thought it was worthwhile.

Pet insurance for us us definitely a sane financial decision. It's not that expensive, nothing like the human insurance I hear mentioned on the boards, and you can choose what level of treatment you want to insure for. It avoids financial shock and allows you to think through in advance what kind of treatment you are prepared to afford.

• Like 1

I think I get Martha's point: the expected level of pet care is often higher than the routine level of human care. It can be hard to agree with a expectation that pets must get an annual check up when many people don't get an annual checkup.  

So there can be a disconnect between people who live where healthcare is more universal, and people who live in the states or other places where it's much more sporadic. 

I was assuming the 8 percent quote was for United States across the board.  

I believe that was for Australia. 

• Like 2

I think I get Martha's point: the expected level of pet care is often higher than the routine level of human care. It can be hard to agree with a expectation that pets must get an annual check up when many people don't get an annual checkup.

So there can be a disconnect between people who live where healthcare is more universal, and people who live in the states or other places where it's much more sporadic.

Hell yes. This times literally millions of Americans.

I have no disdain for people who love their pets. I love my pets.

• Like 2