Menu

Getting lumpectomy tomorrow

crazyforlatin

I posted about this a few weeks ago when we all thought it was just a fibroadenoma. After a few mammograms and biopsies, the lumps are atypical papillary lesions. So tomorrow I'm getting them removed along with another area that has calcification. After that the lab will determine whether they are cancerous. 

I would appreciate any prayers and advice. No one except my immediate family knows. I don't really know anyone who has had any of these problems, so no one around me would understand, but I wanted to hear from people here before I leave tomorrow morning. Just makes me feel better before I go into surgery.

:grouphug:

Good luck!

I've only had a biopsy, not a lumpectomy.  I did love the little ice packs my radiologist gave me, though.  I asked for an extra one so I could always have one in the freezer ready.  When I went back for results, she was surprised at how little bruising I had.  I attribute it to lots of icing.

• Like 2

Prayers for you!  We have breast cancer in our family:  my mother had it, her mother, her mother's mother.  They all survived and lived to be very old!  :D  Yours is probably nothing, but if it is, I'm sure they caught it early and all will be fine.  I've had MRI's and biopsies and so has my sister, and it has never been anything bad.  Please update us!

• Like 2

I had a lumpectomy when my fibroadenoma got too big. It wasn't bad at all -- my surgery didn't take long, so not a lot of anesthesia was needed (my problems with any surgery are almost always due to the effects of general anesthesia). We were in and out of the hospital in just a few hours. I had to ice the incision for several days and wear a bra 24/7 for a couple of weeks.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

I've had a lumpectomy for breast cancer. The surgery is really pretty easy...day surgery. I took pain meds for 24 hours, then Tylenol after that. I took it easy for a day or two, then pretty much resumed normal activities.

Good luck and many good wishes for a speedy surgery and quick healing!

• Like 1

Thanks so much everyone! Really grateful for the support! I'm back and walking like a drunken sailor. I told the doctor that I would resist the anesthesia but apparently I went out in 30 seconds. Lab result will be available on Monday., but I feel like the nerve-wracking part is behind me.

• Like 8

Thanks so much everyone! Really grateful for the support! I'm back and walking like a drunken sailor. I told the doctor that I would resist the anesthesia but apparently I went out in 30 seconds. Lab result will be available on Monday., but I feel like the nerve-wracking part is behind me.

Glad it went well! The waiting is the absolute worst! I hope the time goes by quickly and you get favorable results!

:grouphug:

• Like 3

I had a lumpectomy three years ago.

I was surprised at how easy the recovery was. I didn't need any prescription pain meds. I took tylenol for the first two days because I felt like I ought to in case pain started, but it never did except for a few times when I overdid things a little. I do have a high pain tolerance, but that really surprised me.

I did have to be careful with how much I did. I didn't carry anything with my right arm for several weeks, but I still used it to write.

Six weeks out, I was perfectly fine.