Menu

If you could live anywhere in the US, where would you live?

mommyoffive

My main thing is I need sunshine. NEED it. Three cloudy days in a row and I'm a huge grump. But I don't like super dry, I think because I grew up near the Everglades and got accustomed to fresh water being around. So sunny, with lots of water or at least green stuff not dessert. Doesn't have to be hot, just sunny. And not too cold. Not much traffic. Not Orlando, that's for sure. I hate it here...to much cement, bad drivers, etc. 

Small town near a medium sized city would be fine. 

Hon, you need to get out of FL and away from those gators. How about Southern CA?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You and me both. Perhaps we can pool our piggybanks and try to come up with that 7-8 million they want for that pad...?

What kills me is that the thing was only a million in 2001. Not that I had a million in 2001, but still.  :lol:

• Like 3

Yeah. You need to room with Liz and I at our beachfront pad in La Jolla. 

Isn't California awfully dry though? All the shows I used to watch that were filmed there made it look brown and dry. 

Maybe Hawaii is more my speed? Colorado looks gorgeous, but I'd need to be near a lake or some other body of water. I seriously get antsy in dry places. I remember someone explaining to me that the Dry Tortugas were literally dry, no source of fresh water it had to be shipped in. I nearly had a panic attack, lol. No way was I going there!

Edited by ktgrok

Isn't California awfully dry though? All the shows I used to watch that were filmed there made it look brown and dry. 

Maybe Hawaii is more my speed? Colorado looks gorgeous, but I'd need to be near a lake or some other body of water. I seriously get antsy in dry places. I remember someone explaining to me that the Dry Tortugas were literally dry, no source of fresh water it had to be shipped in. I nearly had a panic attack, lol. No way was I going there!

Northern CA is not as dry. Lots of fog, lakes and the ocean - and NO gators. :)

• Like 2

Northern CA is not as dry. Lots of fog, lakes and the ocean - and NO gators. :)

No, but not sunny. Remember, I need sun. My husband says I must be part reptile...I say I'm photosynthetic...either way I need to be able to soak up some sunshine or I go crazy. 

• Like 1

No, but not sunny. Remember, I need sun. My husband says I must be part reptile...I say I'm photosynthetic...either way I need to be able to soak up some sunshine or I go crazy.

I am the same way. Southern California is very dry, but Northern California could definitely be a fit. Yes, SF and coastal areas can get gloomy, but you just go inland 10-20 miles and it's usually gone.

• Like 2

San Francisco, on the sunny side of the city (money was no object right?). The main reason would be for the culture and we'd fit in a lot better than we do here in the South, I do love the friendliness and kindness of the people here, but they're often very close-minded and bigoted. We're very liberal and non-traditional that makes for some issues. 

If I could venture outside the Continental US then I'd live in Hawaii, or Puerto Rico for the weather and culture. 

• Like 1

Honestly?  I live very close to Creekland, and I'm with her -- who wants to live anywhere else?

COL is reasonable.  I live in the country (and that's the worst part -- that it takes at least twenty minutes to get anywhere -- but that's also the best part too), and it's gorgeous here!  I love the mountain backdrops and the gentle hills and the stunning sunsets.  I love that it's really dark outside at night and easy to see stars.  It's quiet here.  People are friendly.  The libraries and parks are awesome.  The community is homeschooling friendly.  It's easy to be to major cities within a couple of hours.  I've personally found medical care to be excellent, especially for children.  The area is "granola crunchy" friendly without being extreme.  I get all four seasons -- I would not want to live too far south, because the summers are too hot for me, and too far north has too much winter for my liking, but right here is perfect, and spring and fall are heavenly.  I love all the historic buildings and quaint little towns and everything.  Food is fabulous here -- local stuff galore from adorable little markets and creameries but also lots of selections in the grocery stores (which are very nice), and amazing restaurants of various types.  We're never lacking for things to do and see as a family.  

Today I was driving, and I chuckled because I passed a sign that said "Old Orchard Road" and right after it, one that said "Old Mountain Road."  Stuff like that is so common here.  It always makes me smile, the whispers of a bygone era in everything.

Middle son has friends here this weekend.  It's close to a full moon, so not quite so easy to see stars IMO, but they're awestruck.  Then the fireflies... they've seen them before - one or two - maybe up to a dozen at a time.  Around our farm they're in the thousands.  It looks like the white lights at Christmas.

The Dry Tortugas has no source of fresh water (way too small), but it's simply gorgeous in its Caribbean beauty and has probably the best snorkeling in all of FL.  We loved it there - camped for three nights - and yes - had to bring in everything we needed including water, but the sheer beauty of the island/water and Fort make it one of our most memorable trips - great family time and memories for all.  It's also nice that the internet didn't work there.  No cell phone service, etc.  (For anyone in a true panic, the Ft is there and staffed by rangers, so in an emergency, there's help.)

Boats take day trips there if you ever get curious.  They bring the drinks and a lunch.  As campers we hid out in the trees near our tent when the "boat people" were there.  Plenty of times we overheard how lucky we were to be able to camp there.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 2

Middle son has friends here this weekend.  It's close to a full moon, so not quite so easy to see stars IMO, but they're awestruck.  Then the fireflies... they've seen them before - one or two - maybe up to a dozen at a time.  Around our farm they're in the thousands.  It looks like the white lights at Christmas.

The Dry Tortugas has no source of fresh water (way too small), but it's simply gorgeous in its Caribbean beauty and has probably the best snorkeling in all of FL.  We loved it there - camped for three nights - and yes - had to bring in everything we needed including water, but the sheer beauty of the island/water and Fort make it one of our most memorable trips - great family time and memories for all.  It's also nice that the internet didn't work there.  No cell phone service, etc.  (For anyone in a true panic, the Ft is there and staffed by rangers, so in an emergency, there's help.)

Boats take day trips there if you ever get curious.  They bring the drinks and a lunch.  As campers we hid out in the trees near our tent when the "boat people" were there.  Plenty of times we overheard how lucky we were to be able to camp there.   :coolgleamA:

Actually, I was contemplating a day trip when I heard about the no fresh water thing and panicked and refused to go! I was in Key West at the time. I know logically they bring enough water, but the whole thing freaked me right out. Like I said, I think growing up surrounded by canals and the Everglades warped my expectations a bit.

I would live right here in Idaho.  Or Maine, right near Friendship.  I think I've wanted to live in Maine longer than I can remember.

Edited by WendyAndMilo

In fact, before we moved to Idaho, I hadn't seen it so I asked my dh what it looked like.  He said, "I hope you like brown."  I said, "I love brown.  My eyes are brown, my hair is brown, I have a lot of brown clothes ..."    Little did I know ....   lol

People, it's not brown here - it's golden. The green hills turn to gold in midsummer. But a few miles to the west, you have green grass and a beautiful, rugged coastline, a few miles east, it's sunny and warm - and golden. :laugh:

• Like 2

I don't like flat places, land locked places, snowy places or hot places. I'd want universities, major medical centers, sports teams and large arts organizations and a ton of parks and nearby hiking. And mountain views.

So I am pretty fortunate to be right where I am- Seattle area. There are other places I would like a lot but extreme temps do me in and so the mild climate here is a selling point.

I've been to the northeast once, in October. Maine, nH, and Boston. It was absolutely gorgeous. Could totally go along with the idea of a Maine farmhouse someone mentioned. But....I've never experienced temps lower than about 10 degrees f and when it snows every couple of years we just stay home until it melts. So I don't know if I could do the winters.

• Like 1

Minnesota.  Because it's the most Canadian state I could think of, and I know some really cool people there and near there.

I've traveled all over the US and I've never met anyone as a group as friendly and helpful, cheerful, and outgoing as Minnesotans. Whatever they have going on there, they need to keep up, and if necessary in order to maintain it, secede the union and join Canada!

• Like 3

Maybe it's because I haven't traveled enough to see different landscapes, but I love it here in Ohio.  I wouldn't want to live in Southern Ohio, but Columbus and Northeast Ohio have been good to us and it has everything we want.  Right now we live in a village just about halfway between Cleveland and Akron and it's perfect.  (I hate our house, but that can change. lol)  We can go anywhere in 15-30 min. for great food, shopping, and entertainment (when we have money), but within 1-3 miles we can hike some amazing trails in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park (hike or bike and then take a train back!) and feel like we're getting away from it all. The metroparks here give NE OH an edge over Columbus for me, but C-bus has it's benefits, too, and OSU where dh and I met.  :)

I'm happy in AZ. Granted, our city is not very "green", lots of brown since it's desert area, but I'm ok with that. And we have our gorgeous AZ sunsets :). If we want to see mountains, snow etc we can drive a couple hrs north. I have thought of this in the past... I can't stand rain, tornados, humidity, extreme cold/snow, I need sunlight...for many reasons AZ works for me :)

Me too.  We live in the mountains now, lots of snow and cold.  It's really not for me....

I would love to live in hot and dry....Arizona sounds perfect. Well, almost.  I think I would miss the rain.  I love thunderstorms.  But, yeah, I think I could give those up in exchange for more sunlight.

Me too. We live in the mountains now, lots of snow and cold. It's really not for me....

I would love to live in hot and dry....Arizona sounds perfect. Well, almost. I think I would miss the rain. I love thunderstorms. But, yeah, I think I could give those up in exchange for more sunlight.

I feel for you. Snow, cold and mountains isn't for me either. We are having bad heat right now (114°F and up)...I know it's not for everyone, but I can tolerate it. Do I love it? No. But I can live with it

I'm not sure yet. I haven't really found my tribe any of the places we've lived. I'd love to be somewhere with an IRL homeschool support group who doesn't do the opposite of supporting people like me who don't fit in a tidy box. 

I'd like temperate climate, lots of things to do, not too high COL, and plenty of friendly, kind, non-superficial people to hang out with. For some reason, this has been a really tall order  :huh:

Bolinas, CA back in the day when locals/kids took down the road signs and the town just disappeared from the map. Now just too many people want to be here in CA on the coast up and down the state. I like where I live, I'd just want to go back in time when there were fewer people vying for the sunshine and lifestyle. 

I have been thinking about this more recently.  I miss California and the West Coast so much and having been gone 11 full years now, you would think I would be "over it."  The other night I had some tears realizing I will probably never move back to the W. Coast ever again.

I loved SoCal.  I lived there for 18 years and it was wonderful.  It was horribly expensive, horribly overcrowded, and horribly smoggy.  I loved it anyway.  So much to do.  We lived in the foothills, went hiking, mountain biking, and loved looking at the mountains.  The beach was right there.  The museums, the theme parks, places to go, things to do, people watching to see.  It was always exciting and fun. And I love that anything goes.  I could be myself, wacky, zany, fun.  (Los Angeles area)

I also loved the PNW.  I lived there for only 4 years but the beaches, the ferries, the mountains, the beauty and the things to do all the time.  And my best friend lives there and most of my dad's family.  I would move there too. (Seattle area)

But I am stuck in NC.  It isn't bad.  It just isn't great.  It is meh.  The beaches are ok, but not the same.  No cliffs, no PCH to drive down along the ocean, etc....and they are several hours' drive.  The mountains aren't high at all, more like large hills that you gradually gain elevation to.  Not mountains in the distance while you are on flat land.  It is muggy and hot.  

But the people are nice for the most part.  The cost of living is reasonable.  And my family all think this is "home."  And there are great things about it, it just doesn't feel like "home" to me.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

Port Townsend, WA. Wonderful weather for us (cool, often rainy, blustery storms). Near ocean and mountains, lots of outdoor opportunities from sailing to hiking to diving to biking. Striking distance to our fave big city, Seattle. Liberal culture. Great seafood. 

• Like 3

I've traveled and lived all over the states. We are now in the sonoran desert in Arizona. I like it here the best. It's pretty, good hiking, lots of outdoor opportunities, tons of sunshine. Even though the weather gets crazy hot, it isn't super unpleasant like in humid places.

It's super affordable. Pay is surprisingly high. The community is wonderful. Lots of kids, tons of cheap and free stuff to do. Wide open spaces for my children and bunnies and quail in the yard. 

For my hubby, some place in/near mountains with a very outdoorsy culture.

For my daughter, a place with a thriving art community.

For me, adequate sunshine and a city that is largely walkable and/or has good public transportation.

For all of us, a reasonable cost of living, a low crime rate, and a left-leaning political atmosphere.

Now if someone could just tell me if such a place exists, I'd be most grateful!!!  :D  

I must be one of only a handful of people who has no desire to live in or near mountains. I've lived where there are mountains, small ones, but still mountains (northern NJ, north GA) and while they're pretty to visit, I don't want to live where the land blocks my view. I love being able to see for miles and miles and miles like good old Flat Florida allows me to do. I've never been to a prairie state, but I imagine it's the same there - On a clear day, you can see forever :)

Two sets of song lyrics in this post :D

I'm another one. Mountains are okay for a little while, but then I want to get back to my nice flat landscape with forever views. Also I absolutely despise driving in mountains. 

I would ideally stay near where I am now in central FL, just closer to the beach. Maybe a bt further south, and more urban. Where we live now is pretty rural. A nice medium size beach city would be perfect. In a neighborhood where I could walk or bike to everything I need on a regular basis. Especially the beach. Because that is definitely a need!

Hey, a girl can dream.  :coolgleamA:

Edited by Truscifi

For me, adequate sunshine and a city that is largely walkable and/or has good public transportation.

For all of us, a reasonable cost of living, a low crime rate, and a left-leaning political atmosphere.

Now if someone could just tell me if such a place exists, I'd be most grateful!!!   :D

Would Boulder work?

• Like 1

I'm another one. Mountains are okay for a little while, but then I want to get back to my nice flat landscape with forever views. Also I absolutely despise driving in mountains. 

I live on a slight hill with views over rolling farmland and sea to the horizon, and over farmland to the horizon in the other direction.  But the Highlands are only an hour or two away.  Perfect. 

• Like 1

Would Boulder work?

Probably!  We've considered Fort Collins too.  Housing costs are increasing pretty rapidly there right now.  I'm afraid that by the time we're able to move, we won't be able to afford to!  But, yes, we love that general area.

• Like 1

Probably!  We've considered Fort Collins too.  Housing costs are increasing pretty rapidly there right now.  I'm afraid that by the time we're able to move, we won't be able to afford to!  But, yes, we love that general area.

We stopped there once on the way back from a holiday in Estes Park, and we both thought it seemed like a really good fit for us.  It helped us to decide that we liked university towns and led us many years later to our present location.

• Like 2

We stopped there once on the way back from a holiday in Estes Park, and we both thought it seemed like a really good fit for us.  It helped us to decide that we liked university towns and led us many years later to our present location.

Yes, I love the atmosphere of university towns!  Part of it is romanticizing a happy time in my life, but part of it is just that they do bring a certain energy or vibe to a place that I really enjoy.  

• Like 1

Now if someone could just tell me if such a place exists, I'd be most grateful!!!   :D

Asheville? Raliegh Durham area in NC?

SaveSave

• Like 1

Virgin Islands maybe.  Someplace that's in the USA, English speaking, with a view of the Caribbean.

Though Southern California might be nice too.  Warm, dry.  If it wasn't for the earthquakes, fires, and mudslides it might be perfect.

Yes, I love the atmosphere of university towns!  Part of it is romanticizing a happy time in my life, but part of it is just that they do bring a certain energy or vibe to a place that I really enjoy.  

That plus often liberal politics, interesting well-educated people, and enough customers interested in culture to support visits from orchestras, choirs, etc.

• Like 1

Not familiar, so I'll look into them.  Thanks for the suggestion!

I was thinking Asheville, NC myself.  Although not sure about the public transportation.

I can think of several places that meet 2 out of 3 of your criteria.

• Like 1