Menu

Clothing allowance - how much?

Tanaqui

So we plan to start giving a clothing allowance to the teenager, quarterly. This isn't intended to cover big ticket items like heavy coats, nor shoes (bought because she outgrew them or wore them out, she would have to use her allowance to buy new shoes for funzies), nor things like bathing suits and leotards. And of course we certainly plan to give her more if, say, she suddenly shoots up six inches when we didn't expect it, that sort of thing :)

How much do you all think you spend on clothes for your teenagers over a year? Would you believe, I'm not sure how much we spend? (Plus, we actually get a lot of hand-me-downs from friends, but you know, they're not always to her taste and at 13 she really ought to be able to pick her own clothes.)

Edit: If it makes a difference, she also gets a regular spending allowance, that she could spend on clothes if she liked, but that she mostly spends on books and wigs. Wigs aren't clothes, she's not Lady Godiva! We were paying that out weekly, but I recently decided to switch to bimonthly, on payday, because I was sick of remembering to run to the ATM every Friday.

Edited by Tanaqui

My parents gave my sister and I $50 per month back in the early 80's and it was not enough. That's all I remember.

I've tracked my spending for the girls' clothes and it really varies mostly depending on growth spurts and hand-me-downs. In an actively growing year, it's been as much as $900 per girl (but this includes shoes, jackets, swimwear, etc.). My full-grown, has-a-complete-wardrobe kid was $343 last year. My growing youngest was $919--she is taller than her sisters and grew out of all hand-me-downs and essentially needed almost everything. At any rate, $100 would be more than even she would need, so I think I would try $75 per month if that fit the budget (we buy new clothes, a mix of higher quality stuff like Nike and cheaper stuff like Old Navy).

Well, kind of depends if we're talking new or gently used.  I probably spend about $250 a year on new clothes for my teen girl, and about $150 a year on new clothes for my oldest son. NOT including shoes, swim suits, things of that nature.

DD has been growing (although, still wearing a size 14 or a size 2 pants, 14 fit her in length, 2 fits better in the waist).  She needs new shirts.  I get what I can used.  I can't get anything used for DS, but have found some really good buys at markets.  Both of my kids have Italian figures ;)

• Like 1

$100 quarterly would be good for DD.  I get lots of name brand clothes for her at thrift stores.  She is very stylish and could never afford her taste at department stores.  I've been thinking of going to a quarterly budget for her also, to encourage her to learn thrift store shopping.  When I try to get her to go with me she doesn't have the patience for it.  When you thrift shop for newer, brand name clothes, you have to pop in regularly, not just when you are looking for something.  You have to be prepared to come out with nothing many times.  She wants to think, "Oh, I really need a black shirt that goes with these pants, let's go to the thrift store!"  No, it doesn't work like that.

She does like to shop Ross and Marshalls though, which are also good for bargains.

ETA, actually I'm even thinking $75.  That's probably still more than I actually spend, but she would spend more because of not being as good at bargain shopping.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 1

I think that would partly depend on whether the teen is homeschooled or goes to outside classes.

You mean on whether or not she wears her jammies all day? LOL! She'd wear her bunny kigurumi everywhere if we'd let her! (With her fox tail for that added level of awesome.)

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 4

I think that would partly depend on whether the teen is homeschooled or goes to outside classes. 

Ha!  My kid has dressed in a *full outfit* every day since 7th grade, whether we are leaving the house or not.  I really think she was switched at birth.  Without thrift stores, I'd be broke.

• Like 1

As the mediator between my sister and my parents, Together, we made a list of what was reasonable to need to purchase new in a typical year (x undies, x bras, x summer tops, x shorts, and so on, including coats).  (I know we included special occasion dresses, but I don't remember exactly how.)  We then discussed and agreed on a reasonable price for each item (with the winter coat expected to last several years, etc.).  That led us to a weekly dollar amount.  

There were rules, the most important of which was that parents could advise, but not made the purchase decision.  So, for example, Mother could say, "Have you done the wrinkle test?  Have you examined the seams to see that they are well-sewn?  Have you checked the tags to see if it needs special washing?", but ultimately the decision was Sister's to make.  Mother pledged not to say "I told you so" if the purchase turned out to be ill-advised.

Nowadays, an easy way to do this would be to set up an account with a debit card, and have the money transferred to the account automatically.  

Sister's allowance turned out to be an excellent learning adventure for all.  Sister chose wisely and got a fabulous wardrobe for a reasonable amount of money, Mother didn't waste money on clothes purchased but not worn, Sister learned a lot about budgeting and purchasing.

• Like 3

I wouldn't even know where to start. So many of DS's shirts, for example, come from races. Sometimes we buy them separately, sometimes they are included. And then so many clothes are performance related--things he needs for training and competing--but some of which he wears as everyday clothes, too. It wouldn't be fair to make him pay for things that are necessary for his sports but I wouldn't know how to separate his clothing into categories that would make any sense.

As expensive as his gear is, he's a terrific shopper, just like DH. Very patient and knows exactly what he wants and how to find the very best price. I don't worry about future budgeting with him, he's very savvy.

As the mediator between my sister and my parents, Together, we made a list of what was reasonable to need to purchase new in a typical year (x undies, x bras, x summer tops, x shorts, and so on, including coats).  (I know we included special occasion dresses, but I don't remember exactly how.)  We then discussed and agreed on a reasonable price for each item (with the winter coat expected to last several years, etc.).  That led us to a weekly dollar amount.  

There were rules, the most important of which was that parents could advise, but not made the purchase decision.  So, for example, Mother could say, "Have you done the wrinkle test?  Have you examined the seams to see that they are well-sewn?  Have you checked the tags to see if it needs special washing?", but ultimately the decision was Sister's to make.  Mother pledged not to say "I told you so" if the purchase turned out to be ill-advised.

Nowadays, an easy way to do this would be to set up an account with a debit card, and have the money transferred to the account automatically.  

Sister's allowance turned out to be an excellent learning adventure for all.  Sister chose wisely and got a fabulous wardrobe for a reasonable amount of money, Mother didn't waste money on clothes purchased but not worn, Sister learned a lot about budgeting and purchasing.

This! This is a great idea and a really great way to approach it. Prices are going to vary depending on tastes, wardrobe needs/wishes, and quality purchased. I agree the best way to budget is to sit down and make a list of what your ideal wardrobe would look like (type and # of pieces). Figure up the average cost of these pieces purchased where you would shop. Add it all up and divide up to how often you want to give the allowance. I think letting a teen be in charge of budgeting her own wardrobe is a great idea!

ETA: I do agree about setting guidelines on the wardrobe. I might let teen pick her own clothes but I'd want to be clear about what was/wasn't allowed (thinking if you have family preferences in skirt/short length, midriffs, sleeve type, etc.) and also adding in suggestions from mom on guiding purchases like justasque mentioned.

Edited by gypsymama

My older son is accustomed to buying primarily thrifted or clearanced clothing and I don't see that changing. He is 13 this month and *excluding* the new shoes, socks, underwear and hoodie/coat he gets every year (which is sounds like the OP is also excluding from the budget) we probably spend <$100 a year. When he's older and growing faster I could see that going up by 2-3x.

As a general rule, I think the average girl probably could spend more that. With the exception of 1-2 dressier outfits my son is the sort to wear jeans, t-shirt and hoodie day in and day out. His idea of an exciting shirt is one with Darth Vader roller skating found at Goodwill. His older friends all dress like that too.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

We give our son $100 twice a month...he pays for his own haircuts, grooming products, clothing and shoes. It's worked out very well and he's built a nice wardrobe too.

In the late nineties, I gave my teen foster son $100 a month to cover clothing. Not shoes, hair, grooming, coats, etc, just basic clothes. He supplemented what he had, and it worked well. That was a long time ago, but I can see how your son works this, and does it well. I'm thinking it might be the way we go with our soon to be teen. Thank you for reminding me!

ETA: totally different if one is used to thrift shopping. That's an unlikely option for my guy, sadly - he has asthma the moment he walks in the Sal. Ugh. We think it's cat hair. Bummer.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 3

So many different factors come into play... name brand, all new, is so different from second hand. I'd say our dd12's budget (total yearly, broken down by month) is around $1K per month.  We are in a high COL area and she attends many society events requiring formal wear, adding to the $ figure.

As long as our children are happy with their own unique style though, that is all that really matters.

Edited by AnIslandGirl

... I agree the best way to budget is to sit down and make a list of what your ideal wardrobe would look like (type and # of pieces). Figure up the average cost of these pieces purchased where you would shop. Add it all up and divide up to how often you want to give the allowance. I think letting a teen be in charge of budgeting her own wardrobe is a great idea!

I should add that we didn't expect the entire wardrobe to be replaced every year, but that each season a few new garments would be added to what was already owned, as well as a few weeded out.  

Don't forget socks, undies, swimwear, sports needs, shoes, and winter gear!

• Like 1

Wow, I feel so ripped off.  $100 every two weeks.  When I was in high school (in the early 2000's), I got $20 a month for allowance.  I had to buy my own clothes, including shoes and outerwear.  That money also had to cover school supplies, grooming/hygiene products and normal allowance stuff.  It was enough to get by, but made me seriously resistant to spending money.  I still think of clothes in terms of my high school allowance. My allowances were ridiculously low all along.  I got $15 a month in middle school to cover all the same stuff (this was the late 90s).  In grade school I gradually worked up in $1 a week.  That was just free spending money though.

I have to say that if my kids end up wanting all new clothes/become label conscious that will be something they have to pay for themselves or expect to get certain things as gifts. We barely buy new clothes for ourselves and that hasn't changed much as our income has risen and fallen and won't change when it rises again. Even more than a price thing, it's a recycling thing.

• Like 3

I'm getting the picture that there's a lot of variation here in what we all consider appropriate and in-budget!

Yep! Is she a hard to fit child? If she goes to school, is there a uniform? Look at what the kids are wearing and price out a reasonable number of outfits in that style. Budget trumps all, but if I could have afforded a few stylish outfits in high school, it would've been nice.

Yep! Is she a hard to fit child? If she goes to school, is there a uniform? Look at what the kids are wearing and price out a reasonable number of outfits in that style. Budget trumps all, but if I could have afforded a few stylish outfits in high school, it would've been nice.

If she currently attended a uniform school - or did in high school - we'd pay for a reasonable number of uniforms as well, I think. The clothing allowance is to allow her some more freedom, and uniforms, well, they're a lot of things, but they're not that!

• Like 1

I have to say that if my kids end up wanting all new clothes/become label conscious that will be something they have to pay for themselves or expect to get certain things as gifts. We barely buy new clothes for ourselves and that hasn't changed much as our income has risen and fallen and won't change when it rises again. Even more than a price thing, it's a recycling thing.

Yep. We do it for recycling reasons, too. We have a local clothing swap that's amazing, so right now my kids wear a lot of free clothes. As long as I can sift through the clothes, and wash them, DS is good. But he can't go with me to choose his own stuff, and maybe won't ever be able to do that. Hopefully I'll keep hitting wins with choices. :) Can't really give him allowance and turn him loose in the thrift store though.

• Like 1

I think whether a teen is still growing or has stopped growing has to play into this. Some people are full-grown at 13, others not yet by 20.

If last year's pants fit, keep wearing them. If they're four inches too short, you have to start from scratch. The same thing with shoes--athletic shoes may get worn out, but dressier shoes should last a few years if they're not outgrown.

I'd also make allowances for unusual sizes--DH needs oversize socks, for instance, even though his other clothes and often shoes are all available as "regular" sizes.

Those who got a pittance for an allowance did better than I did (nothing)! I got a couple of outfits a year as Christmas gifts and was usually allowed to pick a couple of pieces at a low-priced store so I'd have something for spring/summer. A new pair of shoes each August. My choice between two secondhand prom dresses.

• Like 1

This is a tough one.  i think this also depends on how much you want to fund the wants vs needs. 

The only real expense with the 14 year old is that he outgrows stuff quickly, but he is perfectly fine with Walmart jeans and very very inexpensive plain t-shirts.  I doubt I spend more than $250 a year on his clothing.  Even his winter jackets I usually get at TJ Maxx for very little.  All of the stuff gets handed down to his brother (except shoes) and he absolutely doesn't mind that.  I do buy his brother a few things here or there as well.

But if he wanted more expensive designer clothes, I'd probably be willing to spend a bit more because I do understand this desire.  He just really doesn't care and I'm sure part of it is because nothing he does puts him in a situation where people comment about what they are wearing.  Plus I dunno, maybe boys are generally different in that department.  For sure there is far less variety in their wardrobes in general. 

In another thread we were talking about how too elaborate an allowance might set up a youth for unrealistic expectations once they set off towards independence. 

So if I was going to do this, I think I'd look at minimum wage in your area and take <3% of that (because 3-5% is frequently listed as a reasonable clothing budget amount & you're still providing the bigger items such as jackets etc and possibly the boring socks/undies etc.) 

• Like 3

I give dd $500 per season, so $2000 per year for clothes, which includes everything from her sports gear, back packs, shoes, coats, school clothes, and fun clothes.  We live in the PNW, where there are 4 distinct seasons.  She is still changing sizes, so most of her clothes from the year before do not fit her the next year.  This past year was one of the first that she could still wear some clothes from the year before.  

She is very, very particular about her clothes and making sure they are quality, and she treats them very well.  Any clothes she no longer wears, goes to the second hand store and she puts that money away for her 'unspecified long term savings'. LOL

I pay for a few fun things like a memento t-shirt from a Broadway show we went to as a family.  Sometimes when she needs something unplanned, I will pay for it, like a special life jacket for her sailing trip. Or, I will buy her certain clothing items for rewards like when she made Varsity cheer....I bought her a pair of expensive cheer shoes she really wanted. 

In another thread we were talking about how too elaborate an allowance might set up a youth for unrealistic expectations once they set off towards independence. 

So if I was going to do this, I think I'd look at minimum wage in your area and take <3% of that (because 3-5% is frequently listed as a reasonable clothing budget amount & you're still providing the bigger items such as jackets etc and possibly the boring socks/undies etc.) 

I think part of it depends on how kids are raised and how much they understand about finances.

My daughter has a nice clothing budget.  But she is also very aware of how much things cost and where money comes from. For example, we have what we call the 'move out box' (actually a stack of boxes) in the garage.  Anything that I replace in my home that still has life in it, either DD or DS will grab and toss in the box.  The idea is that which ever one moves out first, gets the box.  So, there are miscellaneous kitchen tools, towels, bowls etc.  Last week, I finally replaced my bathroom towels that had strings hanging off of them.  DD17 proudly moved the old towels to the box.  She proclaimed them in perfect condition for a first apartment. LOL  

By her buying her own items, she has come to realize that the $5 and $10 items add up and the making sure that things are actually going to be used, vs 'owned'.

• Like 5

So we plan to start giving a clothing allowance to the teenager, quarterly. This isn't intended to cover big ticket items like heavy coats, nor shoes (bought because she outgrew them or wore them out, she would have to use her allowance to buy new shoes for funzies), nor things like bathing suits and leotards. And of course we certainly plan to give her more if, say, she suddenly shoots up six inches when we didn't expect it, that sort of thing :)

How much do you all think you spend on clothes for your teenagers over a year? Would you believe, I'm not sure how much we spend? (Plus, we actually get a lot of hand-me-downs from friends, but you know, they're not always to her taste and at 13 she really ought to be able to pick her own clothes.)

Edit: If it makes a difference, she also gets a regular spending allowance, that she could spend on clothes if she liked, but that she mostly spends on books and wigs. Wigs aren't clothes, she's not Lady Godiva! We were paying that out weekly, but I recently decided to switch to bimonthly, on payday, because I was sick of remembering to run to the ATM every Friday.

When I got a clothing allowance, my parents had me write down what I thought I would need over the course of a year, including shoes and outerwear, and then go to a few stores and price the items. We came up with something based on that list that we all thought was reasonable. They saw me doing this thought process at the beginning as a necessary sign of maturity. 

FWIW, my husband's budget for work clothes is $1200/year and includes things like hair cuts. Mine is $600/year (I don't need any suits etc). I buy a year's worth of clothing for all my kids for $600 total. I am very smart about shopping a few times a year at very good used clothing sales and then filling in the gaps. I bought my husband a wool coat for $10 last fall, for instance, and picked up five necklaces and a purse for me last week from a free pile.

Twenty-five years ago, I was buying everything new and growing until I was 16, and my yearly budget was $500. I only bought a coat once. I didn't learn that people updated wardrobes on a regular basis until I was 23 - I thought people just bought new stuff when they grew or the item wore out.

Emily

ETA: My parents made my clothing allowance contingent on my room being clean at least 6 evenings per week. I was working every Saturday at the time, starting at $4.25/hour at age 13 and working 8 hours per week plus babysitting one night a week during the school year and a few days per week during the summer. 

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 1

I think part of it depends on how kids are raised and how much they understand about finances.

My daughter has a nice clothing budget. But she is also very aware of how much things cost and where money comes from. For example, we have what we call the 'move out box' (actually a stack of boxes) in the garage. Anything that I replace in my home that still has life in it, either DD or DS will grab and toss in the box. The idea is that which ever one moves out first, gets the box. So, there are miscellaneous kitchen tools, towels, bowls etc. Last week, I finally replaced my bathroom towels that had strings hanging off of them. DD17 proudly moved the old towels to the box. She proclaimed them in perfect condition for a first apartment. LOL

By her buying her own items, she has come to realize that the $5 and $10 items add up and the making sure that things are actually going to be used, vs 'owned'.

I love the move out box! What a great idea!

...  Last week, I finally replaced my bathroom towels that had strings hanging off of them.  DD17 proudly moved the old towels to the box.  She proclaimed them in perfect condition for a first apartment. LOL  

<side thought>  

If you have a friend who has a serger, those towels can be made as good as new by serging around the edges.  The strings get cut off and the edges get wrapped with thread so they don't fray.  If you use coupons at Joann's to invest in two spools of colorful Wooly Nylon thread (or the generic equivalent), the serging also becomes a decorative element.  I like the variegated colors but solids are nice too.  

You can also cut washcloth-sized pieces of the towel and edge them - or better yet mark the cutting lines and let the serger do the cutting while also overlocking the edges.  (Use the wooly nylon in the loopers and regular thread in the needles.)  Nice for washing people or dishes.

This is a great project for someone who just got a serger and wants to get some practice.  If you mess it up, you can just run the towel through again, letting the machine cut off the old stitching as you go.

• Like 2

Those who got a pittance for an allowance did better than I did (nothing)! I got a couple of outfits a year as Christmas gifts and was usually allowed to pick a couple of pieces at a low-priced store so I'd have something for spring/summer. A new pair of shoes each August. My choice between two secondhand prom dresses.

Yeah, this whole thread has been kinda foreign to me! My mom took me shopping twice a year and provided very well for me, but a monthly clothing allowance? Not in my world. I did get a job my sophomore year of high school and paid for anything I wanted above and beyond what my parents bought. Something to think about for the future, I guess.

So many different factors come into play... name brand, all new, is so different from second hand. I'd say our dd12's budget (total yearly, broken down by month) is around $1K per month.  We are in a high COL area and she attends many society events requiring formal wear, adding to the $ figure.

As long as our children are happy with their own unique style though, that is all that really matters.

:svengo:  :svengo:  :svengo:

That is an absolutely cray-cray budget. Unless you are multi-bazillion-gamillionaires with all your financial needs covered forever, that is a cray-cray nutty amount of money. Either you are a troll or you are a very rich woman -- in which case, more power to you, and happy shopping! 

• Like 2

I think I've paid about $150 for ds this year, that's pretty much all new pants and shorts and a jacket. I'll probably spend $100 more this year, as I think he'll need new shoes this fall (he's so minimal). He is also not hard on his clothing and done growing, so I probably won't buy anything for fall but shoes or maybe a new hoodie. 

I do try to budget my own clothing allowance. I'm trying to build a decent wardrobe and spend about $20-$30/ month averaged out. Generally thrift stores or clearance from a few places. Some of that cost includes quality shoes which I shouldn't have to replace for years. 

I have been giving ds, now 16, a clothing allowance for several years -- $200 in spring and $300 in fall. It's been a good move. He loves clothes. He has become very aware of prices, makes sure to shop sales. He has his own loyalty/awards cards, but I put items on my credit card, in case things need to be returned.

The list of things I buy that do not count against his allowance is pretty long, lol.

-- shoes

-- sports clothes, bathing suits, clothing for scouts/camping

-- one good blue suit, as needed. He buys other suits on his own

-- pjs, underwear, athletic socks

-- coats, parkas, raincoats

When we first started, I felt his taste needed an upgrade, so I paid for some khakis and Oxford shirts, as a transition between very informal clothes and suits. Now he likes that sort of clothing. He also gets clothes as birthday/Christmas presents.

I do have ultimate veto power. This weekend, at Perry Ellis, he found great, well-tailored pants for under $20. Fine. He also wanted a very Sports Authority looking zip jacket for $35. Just no. He was ok, as he got most of what he wanted. Btw, he checks websites pretty thoroughly, so we don't go store to store looking, thank goodness.

Last week, I finally replaced my bathroom towels that had strings hanging off of them.  DD17 proudly moved the old towels to the box.  She proclaimed them in perfect condition for a first apartment. LOL  

My 55 year old husband brought old towels from his family into our marriage -- I'm talking towels from when he was a kid. He was 35 when we got married.  For years we used them as back-up towels, then they became camper towels, and finally, I think they are rags or dog towels.  Let's just say we probably kept them too long.   However, it makes me smile to think what a long and varied life they lived!  

:smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:

• Like 1

- I thought people just bought new stuff when they grew or the item wore out.

Why else would you replace clothes?

Some of the budgets on here are just...wow.  I just spent about $200 on myself for clothes, including a pair of sandals.  That's probably all I'll spend for the next year or so.  And it's plenty (of course, it's being combined with what I already have, not a whole wardrobe itself).

Some of the budgets on here are just...wow.  I just spent about $200 on myself for clothes, including a pair of sandals.  That's probably all I'll spend for the next year or so.  And it's plenty (of course, it's being combined with what I already have, not a whole wardrobe itself).

Lots of people buy clothes even though they have plenty at home. Some like to wear whatever is in style and for others shopping is entertainment.  To me that is torture- on many levels. But I like to quilt and ride my bike for miles and miles, and for some people THAT would be torture. 

• Like 3

This is a huge factor when wee are talking about buying for kids.  DS21 is a full time college student and lives at home.  I still buy his clothes. He has been the same size since he was a teenager.

I spend about $300 a year on him. I spend $150 on 5 pair of jeans a year (AE back to school sale).  $100 on 5-6 t-shirts from TJMaxx/Marshalls. Socks/underwear $50.  He already has multiple dress clothes that he wears only once a week, Various coats, shoes etc. 

I spend less than $300 year on myself. 

Lots of people buy clothes even though they have plenty at home. Some like to wear whatever is in style and for others shopping is entertainment.  To me that is torture- on many levels. But I like to quilt and ride my bike for miles and miles, and for some people THAT would be torture. 

Absolutely.  I mean heck if people only bought the bare minimum of needed clothing, clothing designers would probably be out of business. 

Why buy a lot of things?  Like jewelry, perfume, more than one handbag, several pairs of shoes, etc.   Some people just like it.

• Like 2

In the late nineties, I gave my teen foster son $100 a month to cover clothing. Not shoes, hair, grooming, coats, etc, just basic clothes. He supplemented what he had, and it worked well. That was a long time ago, but I can see how your son works this, and does it well. I'm thinking it might be the way we go with our soon to be teen. Thank you for reminding me!

ETA: totally different if one is used to thrift shopping. That's an unlikely option for my guy, sadly - he has asthma the moment he walks in the Sal. Ugh. We think it's cat hair. Bummer.

Wow, the thrift store thing is interesting to me.  I LOVE thrift store shopping and my dd17 can't stand to go into them.  She says she feels awful.  She is allergic to everything under the sun environmentally.  Why did I never think of it being her allergies?  Seriously, I thought she was being kind of a snob  :crying:

• Like 1

Up until recently, my annual clothing budget was $400/year, including shoes, swimsuits, etc...., but of course, I wasn't growing (other than kids, but after my first kid, I reused maternity clothes). I can't do thrift stores due to environmental allergies, but I also was a SAHM and didn't really care about being fashionable. My budget for clothes for my kids excluding shoes, coats, etc... has been $200/yr: we tend to shop in spring for warm weather clothes and then again in fall for cooler weather clothes. They are still happy to shop at Walmart, where I can often get shirts for $3-5 each. Pants are a little more pricey, but even then I'm looking at under $15.

Wow, the thrift store thing is interesting to me. I LOVE thrift store shopping and my dd17 can't stand to go into them. She says she feels awful. She is allergic to everything under the sun environmentally. Why did I never think of it being her allergies? Seriously, I thought she was being kind of a snob :crying:

Aaack! It might be allergies. I would've chalked it up to not wanting to shop, but I guess we're lucky his reaction is unmistakeable.

We bought our children the basics/necessities, and if they wanted anything above and beyond, they bought it themselves with their own job money.  They got to know our thrift stores well!

ETA:  This is how it was done with most of their peers in our community too, so my kids considered it perfectly normal.

Edited by J-rap

Some people don't buy clothes to "replace" clothes, they buy clothes to enhance their wardrobes. They want a new shirt that looks good, or they've decided they no longer like that dress so they want a different one, or they're bored with what they have and want to get a whole new wardrobe.

Yeah, I don't get it either. My spare spending money goes towards books :) But there are people who don't like to read and don't understand that either.

:svengo:  :svengo:  :svengo:

That is an absolutely cray-cray budget. Unless you are multi-bazillion-gamillionaires with all your financial needs covered forever, that is a cray-cray nutty amount of money. Either you are a troll or you are a very rich woman -- in which case, more power to you, and happy shopping!

:smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:

I'm not sure why it's ok to just flat out laugh at someone with a larger budget than your own. Anislandgirl is not a troll.

I'm not sure why it's ok to just flat out laugh at someone with a larger budget than your own. Anislandgirl is not a troll.

Maybe a troll took over her WTM log in. ;) Alternatively, she's a bajillionaire and is entitled to enjoy her shopping, in which case, I am pretty sure she won't get too hurt by our incredulity. I am sure she's experienced it many times if she discusses her budget with anyone else who is not a bajillionaire. I spend more than most on my kids, and I've experienced plenty of negative reactions to that spending right here on this board, and I didn't sweat it. Anyone with more money than most and more spendy habits than most is well acquainted to negative reactions to their spending habits. That's why I don't generally discuss those habits, lol.