Menu

The teacher gave my dd a simplified version!

I'm frustrated. My 8yo is doing a reading scavenger hunt of sorts, and one of the items on the list is "read a book recommended by your teacher." Her teacher gave her a certain children's classic which surprised me because I thought it was rather advanced for dd.

I just realized this morning that it's a simplified version. I've never allowed these because I think originals are so important, and I try to follow the "read the book before watching the movie" rule. This particular book is so beautiful in the original form. I hate that her first exposure has now been a dumbed-down version that likely doesn't teach the important character lessons contained in the original. And then there's the mommy guilt because I haven't already read the original to her.

Just more confirmation that I'm doing the right thing by going back to homeschool next year.

Edited by musicianmom
  • Like 1

I'm confused by your OP.

What exactly is the problem?

Are you just irritated because it's not the way that you would have done it or is there something else to this or do you have a problem with abridged classics or....?

You do know that your daughter still read/listen to the original version right?

Your daughter's education won't be harmed by reading the simplified version.  Lots of people do that as a precursor to reading the original. It can help the child get the basics of the story so they aren't struggling to follow it as they deal with more complex language of the original.  We did it sometimes.  I made sure my kids understood that the adaptation didn't take the place of the original book.  (I do know that not everyone agrees with this.)

No reason for mommy guilt, either.  So you didn't read the book to her yet; you can't read everything to her! 

• Like 12

I'm frustrated. My 8yo is doing a reading scavenger hunt of sorts, and one of the items on the list is "read a book recommended by your teacher." Her teacher gave her a certain children's classic which surprised me because I thought it was rather advanced for dd.

I just realized this morning that it's a simplified version. I've never allowed these because I think originals are so important, and I try to follow the "read the book before watching the movie" rule. This particular book is so beautiful in the original form. I hate that her first exposure has now been a dumbed-down version that likely doesn't teach the important character lessons contained in the original. And then there's the mommy guilt because I haven't already read the original to her.

Just more confirmation that I'm doing the right thing by going back to homeschool next year.

Wait, are they going to watch the movie in PS before your DD gets a chance to read the real book? Can you find it as an audiobook online? If so, maybe you guys can still get through the real version, before the in-class movie.

Have you read the abridged version your daughter read? You should read it. I'm sure that you can still extract something from the story in regards to character lessons. Does DD8 understand what abridged versions are?

I'd stop by the library and get her the original and let her compare the two. What are her favorite scenes in the abridged she's read, read those in the orignal, compare and contrast the writing style. Fill her in with a few details that the abridged miss and talk about the character lessons in the abridged...

I'm sorry OP. This doesn't seem like a big deal to me. But its clearly bothering you. However, it's not that there is only ONE classic childrens book to read and enjoy in its original vs abridged form. This sounds like a chance for you to make some lemonade instead of being frustrated you've gotten some lemons.

In perspective, there are books on my shelf that I read many times over at different ages.  The Phantom Tollbooth, To Kill A Mockingbird, A Tree Grows In Brooklyn..there are many things missed by children the first time through a reading, that it doesn't hurt to go back through every few years and reread classics.  Different ages often means different levels of experience and maturity, and through this we gain different insights into the characters and plot complexities.  I would not worry that a first exposure is a dumbed down one, but I would encourage reading the original in a few years and keeping it on the shelf.

• Like 2

It's just a vent, sorry. Maybe it will be okay and dd will cooperate with reading or listening to the original version as well. I'm just always afraid that once a kid knows the ending, there's not as much motivation for reading a harder version.

Don't be sorry. Its okay, really. I was just confused at first. I don't have to get it. It bugs you. That's enough.

I suggest you figure out how best to do lemonade here. There are a lot of things you can still do about this particular book. Who cares if she knows the ending?

Has she ever read different versions of Cinderella? Has she seen the Disney Movies? Both of them? Then she can stand to read the book again. If it matters to you, just make her read/listen to the original. She can compare and contrast the two. You can really milk this situation to get a whole lot more than just a character lesson.

You're bringing her home next year and will get to be The Boss again. Personally, I like to be The Boss a little too much, so I get it. I like things done my way, because we all know that the Gil Way is the Right Way,lol.

No need for guilt. You can't read everything to the kid. Deep breath. Do what you can.

Edited by Gil
  • Like 3

I could see myself being slightly bummed in that situation, but I don't think it's a big deal in the long run.  Mine still managed to enjoy Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland in their "proper" forms, despite having known the cartoon versions first.  My dd took it upon herself to read "the real" Tom Sawyer after taking it upon herself to read a kid version.  I even wound up purchasing Shakespeare in graphic novel form because my 8yo refused to read anything but comics for nearly a year.

I like "real" books.  I like holding the movies for afterward.  But it doesn't make or break anything.

It's a special book to me, so that's probably affecting my judgment. Maybe it can be our first read-aloud when school gets out.

I'm sorry you're bummed just act like your pumped when you read the real one with your daughter:

Kid, I know you read an abridged version of XXXXXX in school last year, that is one of my all-time-favorite books! I want to read the original/real version with you now that you're old enough. Its a cool book.

If she's not receptive then make this a special read aloud. Do something like get a special snack to enjoy ONLY while you are reading it together or go to a new park and read it. Or get two copies and co-read it together, with each of you reading a certain character. Read it while you playa certain piece of instrumental music in the background quietly.

Read this one book club style, discuss favorite scenese every few chapters. Use the quotes for copy work, quote the book through out the day, have a XXXXX themed tea party/meal. This book can still be special and you can still share a special memory with your kid about this book.

I think you'll feel better if you're able to make lemonade.

Edited by Gil
  • Like 4

It was not until I was teaching that I realized how much it can help struggling readers to watch the movie before reading the book. I do still often save the movie for after the book with my own kids, but I've learned that it's not a good hard and fast rule. The movie can be a lifeline to get some kids to read in the first place. And for kids who struggle to visually picture what they're reading, it can be really useful as a starting point.

Which is not to say that this was such a great idea to give your dd an abridged version of a classic. If it was a favorite I was also looking forward to sharing, I'd also be sad and disappointed. I generally think there are so, so many good books that are at every level that unless a child is specifically interested or it's a really good book in its own right (like Black Ships Before Troy or something) then I think it's better for kids to read those good books at their own level.

• Like 6

It's a special book to me, so that's probably affecting my judgment. Maybe it can be our first read-aloud when school gets out.

Well now, I get this.  That is hard.  But, you will get through it.  A summer read-aloud sounds great.  I wish I had time for one more read-aloud with my kids! 

• Like 1

I would be annoyed, too. I prefer for my kids to read the original whenever possible. (with exception such as myths and Shakespeare) I'm not sure which book this is but I double dislike the simplifying of children's books. Tom Sawyer, The Secret Garden, Little Women - I'm really not a fan of abridging books like these.

And this makes your disappointment even more understandable. :grouphug:  Definitely enjoy it as a summer read aloud.

We have a large set of abridged classics which FIL gave us, all of which used to belong to DH--who is in graduate school studying English literature, so it obviously did not destroy his love of classics to have read some of them in abridged form when he was young.

• Like 5

In your shoes, because you are homeschooling next year, and because the book is important to you, I would just read the original aloud to her now. She would be read-aloud a book recommended by her teacher, and that would be good enough for me. Maybe ask the teacher for another recommendation if you want to play by the rules of the scavenger hunt.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I'm dying to know which book it is.  :-)

Guess there's no point in keeping it secret. I'm always afraid to give potentially identifying details. It was A Little Princess, one of the few books that makes me cry at the end. And Sara Crewe is such an inspiring character. She makes me want to be a better person. There's no way an abridged version can capture that.

• Like 5

Aw. I think if it's a book you feel close to it's understandable that you wanted it to be special.

Many kids read stories over and over and over even though (or because?) they know the ending.

And then there's the other sad possibility that your child might not really like the story at all. That happens too, so brace yourself. It would be easy to blame it on exposure to an abridged version or film but sometimes this happens no matter what & our kids will not love our precious books. Certainly happened here :) 

Guess there's no point in keeping it secret. I'm always afraid to give potentially identifying details. It was A Little Princess, one of the few books that makes me cry at the end. And Sara Crewe is such an inspiring character. She makes me want to be a better person. There's no way an abridged version can capture that.

Ohmygosh, no way. Absolutely I would read the original with her, to her, whatever. I would not want her reading an abridged version. My very favorite book from childhood! And it was magical to share as a read-aloud with my DD when she was 8 or 9. 

:grouphug: I can understand the disappointment even though I am neutral about that book unabridged. I prefer Secret Garden over that one.

If it is a class activity, it is hard to use the unabridged version for lower elementary so I can see why the teacher pick an abridged version. My oldest required readings for literature while in public school were all abridged and he read the originals at the library.

If she enjoys the story, she'll probably not mind reading the unabridged version at some point - either now, this summer, or a year or 2 down the road.  I never read the book until I was an adult. It doesn't lose its charm.  You can still share your love of the story - that's assuming she does enjoy the story. There's always that wild-card factor that our dc dislike our favourite books. ;)  My dd didn't like Anne of Green Gables at all. It was disappointing for me, but I found a dozen other books we shared together for the first time and both enjoyed.

I didn't see this before. Musicianmom, are you sure it's an abridged version? Or is it the earlier, shorter version? The author wrote a shorter version and published it before coming out with the longer version we're most familiar with.

Edited by Tanaqui

I fished it out of her backpack and read a little. It is definitely an adaptation, though not as bad as it could be. The author did make an effort to preserve the spirit of the book. Dd is too intent on reading all the books on her scavenger hunt list before school gets out to be interested in listening to a full version. I'll definitely try this summer.

Oh.  Yeah.  I'd be furious.  LOL

And I do NOT understand why she didn't just hand out the original?  What on earth about that story needs to be adapted???

(Actually, back up...I don't understand why anybody bothered publishing an adaptation!)

• Like 1

Oh. Yeah. I'd be furious. LOL

And I do NOT understand why she didn't just hand out the original? What on earth about that story needs to be adapted???

(Actually, back up...I don't understand why anybody bothered publishing an adaptation!)

I think it was in the class library, dd asked her for a recommendation, and she probably just picked it off the shelf. It shouldn't have been in the class library, and you're right, it shouldn't have been published, lol.

The Little Princess is a book that always makes me want to eat.  LOL  And drink tea.  All while curled up under a fluffy blanket on rainy afternoons.  If I had a girl I'd do just that - make up a batch of scones and tea once a week and share the book.  Maybe look at the resources Litwits has to explore diamond mining, schools, India..starting it all off with a story box containing a porcelain doll, map, slate, and wrapped in black satin along with the most beautiful copy of the book I've found so far, the one illustrated by Graham Rust. My children enjoy story boxes for special books - little things that help the story come alive as they work their way through older literature. :)

Oh.  Yeah.  I'd be furious.  LOL

And I do NOT understand why she didn't just hand out the original?  What on earth about that story needs to be adapted???

I don't really have a problem with adaptations. Or even GN adaptations. My son has read plenty of those, and I'm not going to die if he never reads Stevenson or Hugo in their original form (I'm really not).

What I CAN NOT STAND is when people take children's books, and rewrites them as...children's books. Like, I know LWW isn't a very easy book to read, but I do.not.like the "children's" adaptation versions. What's the point? Same with Secret Garden, the original is really not that hard. Why even bother with an adaptation!

Secret Garden is one of my favorites too. I read it when I was 10 or 11 I think. I went back and reread it as an adult (after being involved with my college production of the stage version) and I was surprised at how simple it was.

I would not be happy with an adapted version of this book either.

Same with Secret Garden, the original is really not that hard. Why even bother with an adaptation!

The Secret Garden, I just googled, is written on approximately a 6th or 7th grade reading level. Maybe it's all that dialect? I didn't think it was "that hard" when I read it to myself as a child, but then, I was reading on a college level by the time I was ten. When I tried to read it aloud to the girls, I gave it up after a few chapters. TOO MUCH DIALECT - which can be extremely daunting to a poor reader.

Additionally, don't forget that a lot of parents and other interested grown-ups are so eager to introduce their favorite books to their kids that they don't think much about whether or not the child is reading that well yet. They want their second grader to read The Secret Garden, or their first grader to read Black Beauty, even when those kids are barely out of sounding out Frog and Toad. So they finally cave on the fact that the book really is too hard for their darling, and to them, the obvious solution is a simpler version of the same book - one that's at least at grade level.

• Like 2

I just realized this morning that it's a simplified version. I've never allowed these because I think originals are so important, and I try to follow the "read the book before watching the movie" rule. This particular book is so beautiful in the original form. I hate that her first exposure has now been a dumbed-down version that likely doesn't teach the important character lessons contained in the original...

Please consider talking to the teacher! Tell her this -- that you have been looking forward to sharing this particular book with DD and ask for a substitute for the reading scavenger hunt -- surely there are a ton of books the teacher would be able to trade out for The Secret Garden to encourage reading to be so very special! :)

Clearly, this book is way too special to be ruined by the rushing DD will do to get through the scavenger hunt books to check them off the list… 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

My 3rd grade son loves the Junior Illustrated Classic series.

http://www.greatillustratedclassics.com

His teacher has several of the books because a couple of years ago the were at Michael's craft/art store for only $1. He asked his teacher the other day if she had any more by Jack London or Jules Verne. I really think he will go on to eventually read the originals. we went to the library the other day and asked the librarian if they had any books in that series. Luckily they had several so he is reading the abridged Jungle Book now before we go see the movie.

There is a version of A Little Princess in the series. Is this the book?

http://www.greatillustratedclassics.com/book-p/a_little_princess.htm

Edited by Nart

My 3rd grade son loves the Junior Illustrated Classic series.

http://www.greatillustratedclassics.com

His teacher has several of the books because a couple of years ago the were at Michael's craft/art store for only $1. He asked his teacher the other day if she had any more by Jack London or Jules Verne. I really think he will go on to eventually read the originals. we went to the library the other day and asked the librarian if they had any books in that series. Luckily they had several so he is reading the abridged Jungle Book now before we go see the movie.

There is a version of A Little Princess in the series. Is this the book?

http://www.greatillustratedclassics.com/book-p/a_little_princess.htm

See, I devoured those as a kid. And I ended up reading very few of the originals. So I haven't allowed them in my home, figuring that if a child isn't ready for the original, well then there is plenty of other good literature for them to read at their current reading level.

Here's a good update, though: dd asked me to put the original version on her Kindle, and I know she at least started reading it. She may have been influenced by her sister, who is re-reading the original right now.

• Like 1

My dd8 has listened to The Little Princess multiple times on audio. There's a good, unabridged version on audible that's about 8 hours long. You could easily just start listening to it in the car; no need to wait and read aloud this summer (unless you want to).

• Like 1

Aw, I certainly understand your frustration. I'd make the time to read or listen to the book in it's entirety at some point.

The problem with giving others authority to make decisions for our kids is that too often they don't make the same decisions we'd make. This can be school teachers, sports coaches, church leaders, club leaders, etc. It is both productive to learn how to deal with opinions other than those of our family as well as make the parental decision that we don't want our kids exposed to x, y, and z anymore. The homeschool mindset gives us as parents that attitude that we can/should manage what our kids are exposed to more than most other parents who feel like they have no control of what their kids are exposed to in school. I, for one, carefully choose what my kids are exposed to, often "protecting" my kids  more than others, but we do have to expose them to other ideas along the way.

It's just a vent, sorry. Maybe it will be okay and dd will cooperate with reading or listening to the original version as well. I'm just always afraid that once a kid knows the ending, there's not as much motivation for reading a harder version.

I'm planning to read one of the original English translations of Plutarch's Lives.

First I am reading a modern, simplified version so that when I read the harder version, I know that to expect.

I'm not sure that your fears are valid or a reason to be annoyed with the teacher.

I think this is one of those things that seems like a big deal right now but ultimately ends up not being one. Believe me, I have been there many times in my years of raising kids. <3