• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My results:

1. Orthodox Quaker (100%)

2. Orthodox Judaism (95%)

3. Seventh Day Adventist (93%)

4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (91%)

5. Sikhism (91%)

6. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (86%)

I found some of the choices confusing because they did not seem to reflect my beliefs exactly so I picked the closest choice.

I would have though #6 would have been 100%. I don't know how #5 got in there -- maybe by revere nature, they meant worship it or something.

Then there is the big disconnect between #1 and #2: Jesus Christ. How can anyone score highly on both #1 and #2?

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

100% Mainline to Liberal Protestant, which is what I am.

followed by liberal Quaker and then Orthodox Quaker. I've seen these before, and there's always a huge number of people who are supposed to be Quakers, despite how relatively few actual Quakers there are (I've tried out Quaker congregations, FWIW, but found them a little too...quiet for my tastes). I think it's because Quakers are so completely non-creedal that you can espouse a much wider range of beliefs and still fairly call yourself a Quaker than in most other religions and denominations.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Whew! That was a soul searching workout.

I got:

Orthodox Quaker 100%

Eastern Orthodox 96%

Roman Catholic 96%

Seventh Day Adventist 93%

Mainline to Conservative Protestant 91%

Mainline to Liberal Protestant 91%

I have attended mainline to conservative protestant churches for the last 33 years. I feel guilty. I felt guilty giving some of the answers I did, because I knew they were a little off track from accepted teaching. But I tried to be honest.

Now I'm off to see who else is a Quaker at heart. :-)

ETA: Wow, some of my "friends" are Quakers too. How nice.

Edited by Virginia Dawn

What I don't understand is how EO and RC can have all the same answers.

It is not surprising b/c the main difference in EO and RC is papal authority which wasn't addressed. The fundamentals of belief are extremely close.

As far as your other comment, Catholics do not believe in salvation through good works. Sorry. Not a part of Catholic or Orthodox theology. What is taught is that faith without works is dead. Not the same thing. (Of course, James agrees with me :D)

Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestant - 100%

Describes me to a tee! :D

This was mine also.

This a a really cool quiz! I like how it has all beliefs represented.

Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestant - 100%

:) I had no doubt that is what it would show up as.

This is me too! I was surprised as this is not how I grew up, but I will confess my worldview has changed much since I was a teen.

It is not surprising b/c the main difference in EO and RC is papal authority which wasn't addressed. The fundamentals of belief are extremely close.

As far as your other comment, Catholics do not believe in salvation through good works. Sorry. Not a part of Catholic or Orthodox theology. What is taught is that faith without works is dead. Not the same thing. (Of course, James agrees with me :D)

I agree with James that faith with works is dead - that was kind of my point.

Then you aren't disagreeing with Catholic theology. Your implication in the first post was that somehow Catholics believe salvation is achieved through works which is patently false.

I believe that we are justified by grace through faith APART from works. This faith, because it is living, results in good works, but they are not part of our justification in the salvific sense. My understanding is that for Catholics salvation comes through faith, but that works contribute, too. Consider the Council of Trent:

"If any one saith, that by faith alone the impious is justified; in such wise as to mean, that nothing else is required to co-operate in order to the obtaining the grace of Justification, and that it is not in any way necessary, that he be prepared and disposed by the movement of his own will; let him be anathema" (Council of Trent, Canons on Justification, Canon 9).

Canon 24: "If any one saith, that the justice received is not preserved and also increased before God through good works; but that the said works are merely the fruits and signs of Justification obtained, but not a cause of the increase thereof; let him be anathema."

I would be glad to understand the Catholic position better, and have had my own religious beliefs misrepresented enough, that I have no doubt that I could be misrepresenting yours. If you want to continue this discussion perhaps we had better start another thread. I am off to basketball practice, but I will check back later. FWIW, I am not a Catholic basher, and hope that the church will again be "One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic". I know that my roots are Catholic and that Protestants didn't just spring up out of nowhere.

I believe that we are justified by grace through faith APART from works. This faith' date=' because it is living, results in good works, but they are not part of our justification in the salvific sense. My understanding is that for Catholics salvation comes through faith, but that works contribute, too. Consider the Council of Trent:

"If any one saith, that by faith alone the impious is justified; in such wise as to mean, that nothing else is required to co-operate in order to the obtaining the grace of Justification, and that it is not in any way necessary, that he be prepared and disposed by the movement of his own will; let him be anathema" (Council of Trent, Canons on Justification, Canon 9).

[b']Canon 24:[/b] "If any one saith, that the justice received is not preserved and also increased before God through good works; but that the said works are merely the fruits and signs of Justification obtained, but not a cause of the increase thereof; let him be anathema."

I would be glad to understand the Catholic position better, and have had my own religious beliefs misrepresented enough, that I have no doubt that I could be misrepresenting yours. If you want to continue this discussion perhaps we had better start another thread. I am off to basketball practice, but I will check back later. FWIW, I am not a Catholic basher, and hope that the church will again be "One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic". I know that my roots are Catholic and that Protestants didn't just spring up out of nowhere.

I am definitely not up for another thread on Catholicism. :tongue_smilie:

First of all, Catholics do not believe in salvation through faith. Justification is through grace.

The essence of what you posted is in isolating it from the whole. Catholics believe in free-will in a way that I think is distinctly different from Protestants b/c we do not believe that salvation is guaranteed in the idea of "once saved always saved." We believe salvation can be lost through our own actions. Therefore, we can have faith(as in intellectual acquiescence) in God and Christ as our Redeemer, but still willfully engage in mortal (deadly)sinful activity that separates us from God. Thus, the faith alone is not salvific. In that case, we have committed sin that destroys the saving grace. Only through true repentance is the saving grace returned. (Note that this is man turning away from God. God never turns away from us. It is our choice.)

So, while people may suggest that Catholics think they are saved by works, that is not what the Church teaches. True salvation is from grace. Lives full of grace live out lives full of faith. Faith without works is not a living faith.

ETA: here is a link that explains it well if you are interested. http://www.saintaquinas.com/Justification_by_Grace.html Also, after reading it, it also reminded of the entire difference in what the definition of grace is. The terms are not interchangeable in meaning between the 2 perspectives. Grace, by Catholic definition forgives the sin (cleanses the soul), not hides it.

Anyway, that is the end of my involvement of any further clarification.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

And that is the denomination to which I've belonged for more than 20 years, now. But the funny thing is that I don't really think of myself as being a typical UU.

I always find this quiz a bit depressing, actually, since it just seems to reinforce my fear that there really is no place where I belong.

I know! No matter how I answer this test, I *still* come out 100% UU.

Arrgggg.

The Calvin & Hobbes in me demands a new religion!

I would be glad to understand the Catholic position better' date=' and have had my own religious beliefs misrepresented enough, that I have no doubt that I could be misrepresenting yours. If you want to continue this discussion perhaps we had better start another thread. I am off to basketball practice, but I will check back later. FWIW, I am not a Catholic basher, and hope that the church will again be "One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic". I know that my roots are Catholic and that Protestants didn't just spring up out of nowhere.[/quote']

And this is where I differ. I am a "Conservative Christian" but not a "Protestant". I do not think my roots are with the Catholic Church, but with the Hebrews ;)

It is interesting that we can all read the same scriptures, and come up with completely different beliefs about what it says. Yet, we do agree on the most important point, don't we? :001_smile:

And this is where I differ. I am a "Conservative Christian" but not a "Protestant". I do not think my roots are with the Catholic Church, but with the Hebrews ;)

It is interesting that we can all read the same scriptures, and come up with completely different beliefs about what it says. Yet, we do agree on the most important point, don't we? :001_smile:

What exactly do you mean by this? Do you mean, for instance, that Athanasius, Augustine, and Boniface weren't part of the true church, or do you just mean that we have to look farther back to get at our true origins? If the latter, I don't think I disagree with you. I believe the church started with Adam in a sense. The root of the tree is Hebrew. I just meant that I don't think the church fell off the face of the Earth for 1400 years between the time of the Early Church and the Reformation. I believe the Catholic Church was a true, though flawed and in need of reform, church.

What exactly do you mean by this? Do you mean' date=' for instance, that Athanasius, Augustine, and Boniface weren't part of the true church, or do you just mean that we have to look farther back to get at our true origins? If the latter, I don't think I disagree with you. I believe the church started with Adam in a sense. The root of the tree is Hebrew. I just meant that I don't think the church fell off the face of the Earth for 1400 years between the time of the Early Church and the Reformation. I believe the Catholic Church was a true, though flawed and in need of reform, church.[/quote']

I think we're on the same page here.

Neo paganism- 100%.

Not that I think of myself as that. Interesting though.

How do you typically think of yourself?

Well I dont subscribe to any religion- but I am very familiar with and enjoy buddhism and hinduism. I guess I love paganism too, I just dont subscribe to it as an identity- for me, its just about loving life and the life force in everything, especially nature...but I am not into witchcraft or pagan rituals....or maybe I am, I enjoy shamanism and just did a shaman weekend...ok, I dont know what I am and I am just happy with that, dont need to define myself to anybody :)

Neo paganism- 100%.

Not that I think of myself as that. Interesting though.

Well I dont subscribe to any religion- but I am very familiar with and enjoy buddhism and hinduism. I guess I love paganism too, I just dont subscribe to it as an identity- for me, its just about loving life and the life force in everything, especially nature...but I am not into witchcraft or pagan rituals....or maybe I am, I enjoy shamanism and just did a shaman weekend...ok, I dont know what I am and I am just happy with that, dont need to define myself to anybody :)

I think the recent polls on religion revealed that none of us fit into a nice neat box. I wouldn't ask you to "define" yourself. Call it friendly curiosity :001_smile:

Since I started this (and it looks like we've all enjoyed it) I'll "confess" also. I came up 100% Neo Pagan, 95% Unitarian, and 93% Liberal Quaker (which is where I go on Sundays!) On the other hand, I was raised as a Roman Catholic and only got 19% on that one!

Let's not take this all too seriously, okay? This sure is a diverse group!

Danielle

I came out 100% liberal quaker, 99% UU. I'm UU, but not a typical UU, and I am pacifist, so I'm not surprised.

I come out 100% Liberal Quaker (my upbringing, although my mother considers herself very conservative... just not the conservative that most people think of when they say "conservative"... LOL) and 99% UU. DH comes out the opposite (100% UU and 98 or 99% Liberal Quaker) but in our town the UU church is the one we prefer anyway, so we go there. :)

I think the whole thing is a plot by the Orthodox Quakers to increase their attendance. :lol:

I guess I really confused the test.

I am 100% Orthodox Judism and 100% Islam...:001_huh:

Talk about opposites.

Oy Vey!!

I don't think they are opposites at all. They split from the same basic religion, and there are so many similarities between the two faiths. (And apparently the areas in which they differ weren't asked about in this quiz...? I wouldn't have expected someone to be 100% each, but I would expect Islam to be among the top choices after Orthodoz Judaism.) Not to mention similarities between the languages, especially in the prayers. I think that's why there is such conflict: there is too much similarity. I once heard someone refer to it as "sibling rivalry" and it realy struck a chord with me.