Menu

how much time do you spend....

...researching curriculum options?  I feel like I spend so much time looking at websites, relooking at websites, taking notes on what I like and dislike, asking on here for reviews, looking online for more reviews...and it goes on and on.

after how much time do you just say enough is enough...flip a coin, throw darts...etc to make your decision? 

Surely I am not the only one who does this....am I?

• Like 2

I didn't time how long it's taken over the past couple of months for me to randomly read and collect information about various history programs, but when I finally sat down to make my final decision for my ds13's 9th grade history, I sat in front of the computer re-reading and newly reading threads and websites for a solid 5 hours without a break until I settled on one. It was perhaps a total of 7 hours to research history. And that was just for the oldest son.

That's pretty normal for me when I'm picking something new. A few subjects will be a continuation of decisions from the past (continuing with CLE math for ds10), but for anything new, it's a full day's work to make a decision.

• Like 5

This time of year, I spend a lot of time looking at our options and trying to figure which will be the best fit. I do love doing it, but I also get bogged down making a final decision for one subject every year for each kid. This year, it is going to be writing for my son and math for my dd. Since it always happens, I wonder if somewhere deep inside, I just don't want to be done. Because if history repeats itself, I will probably not be able to make a final decision until I am pretty much forced to, lol.

• Like 1

Lots. :)

But I really enjoy research and learning about curricula and methods, so I think I wouldn't always need to spend the time I do.

I've started a bullet journal just for homeschool planning and curricula research so that if I come across something I may want later, I can note it by subject and forget it, knowing I can return to that info when needed.

• Like 4

A lot of time. I enjoy it! I find that no matter how much research I do, I need to use a curriculum for a few days to decide if I like it. And also, as I grow into a real homeschool mom (son in K -so you know what I mean), I have a better understanding of what I prefer and what my child prefers.

My DD is so different from my son! I suspect that I will need different materials with her - so I will continue to research and read. But I don't mind.

How much research is enough? I find that when I find a perfect match I stop obsessing. I didn't stop researching what to do about reading until I started my son on the AAR series. I think that for us it's a match there. I didn't stop researching math (or trying programs) until we tried Singapore. We are using MBTP and I sometimes like it, sometimes I don't. Even though I don't love it and I am unlikely to use it again, I will research the next level lol.

• Like 1

Lots. :)

But I really enjoy research and learning about curricula and methods, so I think I wouldn't always need to spend the time I do.

I've started a bullet journal just for homeschool planning and curricula research so that if I come across something I may want later, I can note it by subject and forget it, knowing I can return to that info when needed.

I do something similiar. I cut and paste the URL of threads or websites I'm interested in but don't want to fully study yet and organize them in OneNote (Excel would work, too) by topic. Then later, when I'm ready to research Math or History (or SAT prep or How to Fill out the FAFSA), I already have a head start in my research. I go back and carefully read what I've already compiled.

I have a HUGE assortment of URLs for every subject I plan to teach for high school in the next four years plus a ton of stuff about college and SAT/ACT testing. I find it comforting to know I have this information already gathered. Waiting to do it last minute would be scary to me.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

Lots! Like Garga, I collect links and notes and ideas in OneNote and read them when I'm ready. I've had a file for next year going since before this year started.

I will say that for a lot of subjects, I don't spend as much time researching options as I do for others. Like, I know I'm happy enough with SOTW and History Odyssey that I don't feel a need to look at other programs. So that made it very easy -- I know I will be using SOTW2 and HO Level 2 for my boys next year. The decision was easy, and now I will spend time planning it all out so that it's listed in a way that makes sense for me.

I also find that I can't force myself to learn about something until my mind is ready. It's always been like that. So, since I'm not teaching chemistry next year, I might read about people's chemistry programs, but it probably won't register or mean anything until I'm really ready. So as I collect them, those links will sit in their happy little OneNote file (happy because they're color coded and organized, and that would make anyone happy!) until my mind is fertile soil. It'll hit me at some point, the urge just to settle on a plan, and then I will be able to organize it mentally as well.

• Like 2

Probably too much.  I have files for each grade and then subheadings for each subject and then notes/links/ideas that I've gleaned from here and other places (books, other websites, talks with other HS parents).  I usually don't delve too deeply into things until 1-2 years before that grade is about to begin, but I like to collect things that look interesting even if it is years until we'll need it.

I tend to research year round as we school year round and have sometimes used things that are technically above or below the children's actual grade classification by age.

I figure that I probably spend about 1-2 hrs/week researching things.  

• Like 1

Lots! Like Garga, I collect links and notes and ideas in OneNote and read them when I'm ready. I've had a file for next year going since before this year started.

I will say that for a lot of subjects, I don't spend as much time researching options as I do for others. Like, I know I'm happy enough with SOTW and History Odyssey that I don't feel a need to look at other programs. So that made it very easy -- I know I will be using SOTW2 and HO Level 2 for my boys next year. The decision was easy, and now I will spend time planning it all out so that it's listed in a way that makes sense for me.

I also find that I can't force myself to learn about something until my mind is ready. It's always been like that. So, since I'm not teaching chemistry next year, I might read about people's chemistry programs, but it probably won't register or mean anything until I'm really ready. So as I collect them, those links will sit in their happy little OneNote file (happy because they're color coded and organized, and that would make anyone happy!) until my mind is fertile soil. It'll hit me at some point, the urge just to settle on a plan, and then I will be able to organize it mentally as well.

That's exactly how I am, too! I gather what I know I'll need in the future and then just forget about it until it's time to think about it seriously. If I don't gather, though, it will sit and nag on my mind, "Oh no! What will I do for biology!!" But if I gather information for later, I can forget about it until I'm ready to think about it. Freeing.

• Like 2

A LOT. But that's tge way I operate all the time - buying a new dishwasher or new dog collar, I am a researcher.

If I didn't I would always be looking for something else while trying to teach, and second guessing my choices.

Besides, I think it's fun.

• Like 3

None.  But I've tried it all.  Ds can't even use curriculum and dd has outgrown it.

When I can't decide, I usually need to take a break, get away, take a long shower, a long walk, pray.  It usually turns out that I'm listening to lots of voices in reviews and lots of my dreams instead of listening to my gut and the truth I know about my kids.  Getting away lets me reconnect with that quiet, small voice.

And yeah sometimes I've had that Hezekiah in the temple moment over a pile of options, just praying Lord what, because I really don't know.  And that works too.  :)  

But in general, take a break, get back to your peaceful spot, and listen to what the still small voice inside tells you.  And if it's really two fine options, some people would say let the dc decide.  Sometimes in cases like that I've asked someone who knows me well.  Sometimes that advice is wrong, and I think you should only be willing to do that if you are feeling strong enough to contradict advice from someone close.  A long time ago I let someone persuade me on something and I regretted it.  I try really hard not to do that.  But the sparring process and just seeing their logic on why THEY would think one way or the other (when they know me well) is interesting.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 3

A LOT. But that's tge way I operate all the time - buying a new dishwasher or new dog collar, I am a researcher.

If I didn't I would always be looking for something else while trying to teach, and second guessing my choices.

Besides, I think it's fun.

Me too! This is just like me! I research everything, so of course curricula is just one more thing for me to invest hours (and hours!) researching. :)

• Like 1

I spent much more time researching curricula in the past.  I really don't anymore.  

I spend more time researching teaching methods these days.  My favorite currics have been the ones that deepened or widened my pedagogy.

I'm smarter about using a curric to help cover things that my kids can do independently, saving me time to focus our 1-on-1 time on the things that truly require my help.  Ex.  I use CLE math, not b/c it's the best at teaching, but b/c it's the best at reviewing.  I teach math well.  I don't need hand-holding.  I don't have time to review.  CLE covers that.

I spend a great deal of time searching out living books. 

• Like 2

A lot.  I file away the information for later.  I have 3 youngins, so the information should be good for at least one of them.  ;) 

I like finding out about new methods or ideas because I never know if it'll be a better fit for my child.  For example, I had envision my ds to use FLL (all 4 levels) and WWE (all 4 levels) then proceed to WWS.  Well, as it turns out, MCT is a better fit for him.  Also, at the time, I didn't think about creative writing, so I'm adding other materials for that.  If I didn't do any research, I wouldn't know or even think about what could be better for him. 

I spent much more time researching curricula in the past.  I really don't anymore.  

I spend more time researching teaching methods these days.  My favorite currics have been the ones that deepened or widened my pedagogy.

I'm smarter about using a curric to help cover things that my kids can do independently, saving me time to focus our 1-on-1 time on the things that truly require my help.  Ex.  I use CLE math, not b/c it's the best at teaching, but b/c it's the best at reviewing.  I teach math well.  I don't need hand-holding.  I don't have time to review.  CLE covers that.

I spend a great deal of time searching out living books. 

:iagree:   Well said!! 

The time I spend now reading the forum and looking at stuff is more just for fun.  I have finally made enough mistakes buying curricula that I'm less enticed by new and shiny and more in fear of the guilt it will produce when it doesn't work.  So, I'd rather find a book here, a resource there instead of a program per se.   

• Like 3

A ton.

It's probably my favorite part of the job.  That isn't to discount all of the other parts of homeschooling, but the research and comparison aspect is my jam!

The way I research has definitely changed.  I no longer seek out "the best" spelling program or "the latest and greatest" math program.  I know what I want (which is usually what I already have after years of that kind of research, lol) and now I look for ideas, products, and methods that enhance or reinforce what we're going to do.  I do a lot of piecing together and creating my own courses, so little tidbits are the tastiest these days.

• Like 1

Probably more than I should. :)  And with my oldest going to 9th grade, I probably already have enough at home to teach through all high school, if not part of college, :blushing: (OK, I would need some more higher level  math books. Somehow buying calculus books when she studies algebra doesn't feel right, but calculus-based physics is fair game.) Now I am mostly researching different ways to teach and how they relate to my particular students. Sometimes it relates to curricula, sometimes it is separate. It's is still research and a huge time-sink. I tell myself that at the moment it is my hobby :)

I research quite a lot. Almost every day to every other day I have something I am looking up to think about. I may come across a book in reading that I want to know more about. However, when researching curriculum I usually have only two questions foremost in my mind: Will it work? Does it fit with my philosophy for that subject? I cull a lot of prospects that way.  :laugh:

• Like 3

I spend a lot of time. Eventually, I started a spreadsheet. It has grade levels along the side and subjects along the top. When I find something that looks interesting or like it would be a good fit for DD down the line, I add it to the spreadsheet. At least this way, I can start from there when I do my choosing. Then I end up at least posting more specific questions, along the lines of "I like this one except for this and this other one except for that, is there something that fits my criteria while not having these drawbacks?" It makes me feel less frazzled not to start from scratch each time.

• Like 1

Too much :) Now I've come to realise that choice isn't always a good thing.:)

I've also acknowledged more recently that the thrill of researching and hoarding resources, web links and downloads, is just a way for me to procrastinate about actually *doing* any of it!

I feel sad that I spent so much time and energy when they were young, having dilemmas about *the best* resources to use, that sometimes we missed out using any resources...and now they are too old for those resources.

I've always kinda envied people who are decisive and confident and just get on with it...unfortunately, that's not one of my character traits!

Edited by stutterfish
  • Like 3

I spend a lot of time. Eventually, I started a spreadsheet. It has grade levels along the side and subjects along the top. When I find something that looks interesting or like it would be a good fit for DD down the line, I add it to the spreadsheet. At least this way, I can start from there when I do my choosing. Then I end up at least posting more specific questions, along the lines of "I like this one except for this and this other one except for that, is there something that fits my criteria while not having these drawbacks?" It makes me feel less frazzled not to start from scratch each time.

This is what I do. I currently have my 4th and 5th graders plan through high school. I know it will probably change and I do go through and change things on it or add things to the bottom that I feel will be helpful to add in at some point. It feels like a security net for me. I have a vision, goals and things to aim for with our school. I started it about a year ago. Before that I would just go year by year but I realized it would be helpful to try and put together a whole picture of what I was trying to accomplish. Anyway, I spend way to much time researching curriculum. I also love learning about different philosophies regarding education.

• Like 1

Too much time, probably.  And then I make decisions and plans... and things don't work as I expect them to with my particular kids and I start over, lol.  But it's an entertaining way to pass the time.  I like the idea of putting things in a spread sheet though.  Right now I have very well organized bookmarks with folders for age ranges, subjects and, um, sub-subjects.  I keep actual curricula and also blog posts and other resources for implementing those curricula, plus extras I think would make a good supplements.

Very little. I just don't have a ton of money to sink into new curriculum. I also don't have a lot of extra time and energy to actually figure out the best way to implement new stuff when I do order it.  Fancy new curriculum doesn't implement itself, no matter how wonderful it is. There is a learning period for both teacher and student, to figure out how to make it work. Frankly, the stuff I've got now is working out well enough that tweaking it is easier than starting from scratch.

A lot!  It keeps me sane.  LOL  I keep a running list of programs I like/don't like, etc.  I bookmark everything.  I hoard samples.  I makes notes of what we use, want to use, should use instead.  It's quite out of hand, really...  lol  What I really need is a way to organize all of my rambling thoughts! 

I honestly enjoy researching curriculum, though.  I used to be a bit helter-skelter about purchasing and we've accumulated things we didn't need and haven't used.  I consider it a learning experience and try not to berate myself too much.  Now I research more and ponder longer before I ever purchase. I have also gotten better about not being distracted by shiny covers.  Oh, and I made myself a promise not to replace ANYTHING in the month of January & February.  These are freak-out months for me and 99% of the time what I hate turns out to be just fine come March. 

• Like 1

I don't spend much time researching curriculum. I spend hours researching books and resources. Pre planned curriculum and I don't get along too well. I love creating my own to fit my kids' individual needs. I know that way that I will be happy with what we are using bc I am controlling the selections--homeschooling at helm ;) and all of that. :)

• Like 5

A lot.
Unless something is not working I do not look at alternative curricula for our current schooling but I love researching future choices and each new choice is backed up by hours of solid research meaning that we rarely have to change curricula mid year, in fact in 5 years I think I have only actually ditched one curricula mid way through.
The other reason I spend so much time researching into the future is that I like know where we are going next so that I can make sure we are adequately prepared for that next step. By looking at next's years curricula 12 months early I can get an idea of where we need to be skill wise at the end of the current school year, if I feel we may not be adequately preparing for that next step I have plenty of time to supplement or modify the current schedule where needed to make the transition easier.

I used to spend a lot of time looking at curriculum, but hardly any now. We've homeschooled a long time so I know the main ones. I have some favorites that I'll always use too, so I'm not really interested in changing or in even thinking about it. I keep my eyes open for when they are older, but that's about it. I'm probably set for the next 2 grade levels. We also went from Christian based to completely secular, so it narrows things down quite a bit.

More early on, less later. I actually had "plans" for mine through the end starting around 4th grade or so.

With only an 11th grader this year, I'm already done for next year. Either she uses the same stuff my older does or we're continuing. Over the summer we're going to work out a reading list because she wants to do a lot of wide reading in areas she hasn't had time for, but that's it.

I sold pretty much as I went up until a few years ago, so I have a bunch of high school stuff and a few other things to sell this summer. Then a year from now, I'll be winding down!

Not much anymore. When we first started up through last year, quite a bit of time. Last year I knew what I wanted to use, but it wasn't quite time yet! So this year I simply just ordered. :) And I have a really good idea of what I will use in the next few years too. :)