Menu

Not-so-sweet frosting? Or another way to decorate a cake?

Amira

Dh and ds made a layer chocolate cake today and we want to eat it tonight when we have friends coming over for dinner. However, I usually make single layer cakes and don't bother frosting them because frosting is always too sweet for us.  If I put anything on top, I just lay pieces of dark chocolate on and spread it into a thin layer when it melts.  But this cake has already cooled and I don't think the thin chocolate layer would work with a layer cake anyway.

So is there such a thing as frosting that isn't so very sweet as it usually is?  I'd try a cream cheese frosting but I don't have any cream cheese and I can't get to the store today to get some.  Or how else can I make this naked cake look appealing to guests?

They made two rounds and stacked them with nothing in between (and I doubt they cooled the layers either).  The edges are pretty rough for a powdered sugar dusting, although these friends wouldn't be scandalized by that.  A ganache might work too and I found some ideas for yogurt frosting.

You can cool the ganache and whip it. It fluffs up nicely. There's an old Martha Stewart recipe with a dark chocolate cake, whipped ganache filling and frosting, and more regular ganache poured over the top. And then dark chocolate curls. You don't have to go that crazy though. ;)

• Like 1

Coconut Cream will whip like whipping cream if you have a can of that.

We use fresh lightly sweetened whipped cream for most cakes at our house.

Maybe just a drizzle of glaze will be enough to jaz it up a bit.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

I like powdered sugar on top. You can make a cut out snowflake or other pattern, if you don't have a cake stencil.

You could put raspberry jam on the sides and press chopped almonds into the jam.

Melt a clear jelly and cool slightly, spread over top and put slivered almonds around the perimeter.

Can you do a drizzle of melted chocolate, like the free forms patterns you see when restaurants plate a dessert and decorate a plate using squeeze bottles to drizzle sauces. You could use dark chocolate, white chocolate, caramel/butterscotch -- any flavor that comes in chip form, so you don't have to break it up before melting. (I *think* you might be able to substitute a plastic bag with a hole in it for a squeeze bottle, but I have not tried this.)

• Like 1

Well, I eat cake for the frosting, so I might not be the best person to listen to, but . . .

Me, too.  I regard cake as a carrier for frosting.

Sour cream with a little sugar and some lemon zest in it would be more refreshing than normal frosting though.  I use that on cheese cakes.

• Like 4

What if you put raspberry jam between the layers, and served it with whipped cream?  You could give a choice of sweetened, lightly sweetened or unsweetened.

Even if you sprinkle sugar on the top, you're going to need something to kind of glue the layers together.

Edited by Daria
  • Like 3

What if you put raspberry jam between the layers, and served it with whipped cream?  You could give a choice of sweetened, lightly sweetened or unsweetened.

Even if you sprinkle sugar on the top, you're going to need something to kind of glue the layers together.

This is what we did with ds13's birthday cake, raspberry jam in the middle and whipped cream instead of frosting. I had some frozen strawberries, so I thawed those and used the juice to make strawberry whipped cream. (Berries were saved for breakfast smoothies the next morning.) It was lightly sweet and a refreshing balance for the cake. I may never frost or ice a cake again.

• Like 1

All of these suggestions make me want cake.

OP, what did you end up doing? And are there leftovers?!

I had cream in the fridge so I whipped it and attempted to artfully spread it about. There were no leftovers. :)

I really liked the whipping cream topping, especially that I could sweeten it as much as I wanted, and I think I'll probably do that again if I need some sort of frosting.

• Like 9

I had cream in the fridge so I whipped it and attempted to artfully spread it about. There were no leftovers. :)

I really liked the whipping cream topping, especially that I could sweeten it as much as I wanted, and I think I'll probably do that again if I need some sort of frosting.

Yum!

So, then we won't be crashing your house for the late night boardie snack? :)

I was first introduced to cake with unsweetened whipped cream by a British family. I was amazed by how much more pleasant it was than the heavily sweetened whipped cream I was used to.

Depending on what I am paring it with, I either do unsweetened or lightly sweetened cream these days.

• Like 2

Yesterday I made 'frosting from scratch' as we didn't gave any icing sugar (not sure what that is in American English - frosting sugar? powdered sugar?) The recipe needs some tweaking but it had a great texture and wasn't that sweet:

Mix 1 cup of milk into 3 tbsp of flour. Cook, stirring continually until it thickens into a paste-like consistency. Cool completely (fridge is fine, and don't worry if it gets very thick and stodgy).

Beat 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy (not frosting sugar, just regular or fine sugar).

Beat the two mixtures together until fluffy.

In my opinion the mixture tasted floury, so if I tried again I'd probably try using as little flour as possible to thicken the milk, or perhaps use cornflour. The texture was wonderful, though.

• Like 1

I know this is over with, but I just wanted to suggest that you can add a packet of instant pudding (just the dry powder), any flavor you want, to whipped cream to make a lightly flavored, not too sweet, frosting. Here is a recipe I found for it, though I just wing it myself. 

• Like 2

Try looking up a recipe for cooked frosting that uses regular granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar. Those tend to be much less sweet than the ones with the powdered sugar. I have a good one but am not home right now to look it up. I can post it later if you'd like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday I made 'frosting from scratch' as we didn't gave any icing sugar (not sure what that is in American English - frosting sugar? powdered sugar?) The recipe needs some tweaking but it had a great texture and wasn't that sweet:

Everybody I know says powdered sugar, but the boxes say confectioner's sugar.