Menu

Boiling pasta...interesting thing I have learned- info added in post #1

SparklyUnicorn

I heard somewhere, do not recall where, that it is not necessary to bring the water to a full boil before adding the pasta.  So I've been trying it out.  I fill up the pot with water and add the pasta right away.  By the time the water starts to boil it is nearly done.  It worked fine every single time.  And it takes a lot less time overall to do it this way.  It takes a similar amount of time to cook/soften, but since you don't have to wait for the water to come to a boil you are saving that bit of time.

----

This might explain why electric kettles are not as popular in the US.  I do know they still are probably a bit faster than on the stove, but maybe not enough to have that thing taking up extra space.  And looking at the electric kettles available to buy, many are lower in wattage than what the article uses as an example. 

http://wordpress.mrreid.org/2012/04/16/why-kettles-boil-slowly-in-the-us/

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 4

I don't think electric kettles are nearly as common here in the US! 

No they aren't.  I have never seen them in any store. I know you could probably buy them on-line.  I wouldn't have a use for something like that.  Plus if you want to do a whole box of pasta you need quite a bit of water.  That would have to be a pretty large kettle.  The stove top kettle I have doesn't hold enough water for a full pot of pasta.

I boil water in my electric kettle and add it to the pot - very fast.

Interesting though - is the texture the same?

No they aren't.  I have never seen them in any store. I know you could probably buy them on-line.  I wouldn't have a use for something like that.  Plus if you want to do a whole box of pasta you need quite a bit of water.  That would have to be a pretty large kettle.  The stove top kettle I have doesn't hold enough water for a full pot of pasta.

I also use my electric kettle.  My mom *thought* it was a ridiculous use of counter space until she first came and stayed with us... now she has one.  :-)  I think she got it and Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  It really is handy.  

p.s.  Some poor Italian grandmother is probably rolling over in her grave right now at the thought of adding pasta to cold water.  Shame on all of you.   :thumbdown:  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 5

I also use my electric kettle.  My mom *thought* it was a ridiculous use of counter space until she first came and stayed with us... now she has one.  :-)  I think she got it and Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  It really is handy.  

p.s.  Some poor Italian grandmother is probably rolling over in her grave right now at the thought of adding pasta to cold water.  Shame on all of you.   :thumbdown:  :tongue_smilie:

No no.  Actually I have now noticed well known Italian cooks on Food Network do the same thing.  It does not change the texture or anything.

I don't drink stuff like tea so I can't imagine what I'd use an electric kettle for.  I have a stove top kettle, but geesh maybe I use it one time a year. 

My kettle hold 1.7 litres (around three pints?)  I sometimes boil a second one.

I use it all the time, to shorten cooking times and make tea.  Husband also makes coffee using a cone, if he's just making for himself.

• Like 3

My kettle hold 1.7 litres (around three pints?)  I sometimes boil a second one.

I use it all the time, to shorten cooking times and make tea.  Husband also makes coffee using a cone, if he's just making for himself.

My husband's mother has one.  She drinks a lot of tea. 

I wouldn't ever use it.

Once in awhile I see them for sale at Aldi.

I have never tried putting the noodles in while heating the water, but I've often wondered if it would work.

We have the equivalent of an electric kettle that we got at the Asian grocery. We use it daily. It's on my must-have kitchen appliances list.

It holds almost enough to make pasta, if I top off with hot water from the tap. I think I'll try using it the next time I make pasta. :)

• Like 1

I'm going to have to try this! My stove top takes forever and I also use an electric kettle. I'm surprised some of you don't even see them in stores. I'm in a small town in the Midwest but have lived on both coasts as well and have never had trouble finding one as they are in all the stores with other kitchen appliances.

• Like 2

Good to know! I wonder if boiling first is how one cooks fresh pasta and it just stuck for all pasta?

We use our electric kettle all the time!

That seems like a good explanation.  Fresh is very quick and if you wanted it to be warm then cold water would never come to a boil fast enough for fresh pasta to warm up. 

• Like 2

Good tip! We don't eat a lot of pasta anymore but I'll definitely try it next time. Fast is good!

The previous owners of our last house left behind an electric kettle. I never used it and left it with the house. It had a lot of hard water residue in it which was impossible to clean. I had no use for it anyway, but they were very popular. I've never seen one IRL in the States though.

• Like 1

I think that sometimes if you have long, thin noodles they stick together with this method.  It's important to keep an eye on that, and stir occasionally before the boiling action does its own stirring. 

Yeah that's an issue either way.  Certain pasta I've had trouble with it sticking.  Sometimes I add a bit of oil.  I know flame away Italian cooks.  LOL

• Like 2

I've never had gluten free pasta.  Does it taste the same?

I think it depends. I like the corn/rice mixes (Heartland, Walmart brand, etc) over the brown rice (like Tinkyada). The corn/rice pastas taste the closest to me. There is a definite difference, to me at least. 

It comes pretty close.  It's one of those things I can cook for the whole family even though only one kid has Celiac's, and no one really notices any difference.

The gluten free raviolis and such are not great though.  

I have not been impressed with the gluten free raviolis either. 

• Like 2

It works great with regular pasta.

Gluten-free pasta? Nope. It turns into a gummy mess. 

That's what I was going to say.  There's something about the water moving as it boils that makes gluten free pasta come out right.  If it just sits in water with no moving it will get gross.

I've never had gluten free pasta.  Does it taste the same?

Totally depends on the brand/what it's made with.  The absolute best gluten free pasta we have found is Barilla.  It tastes pretty much like we remember regular pasta tasting like (confession: since it's been a while since Celiac diagnosis my memory may be off).  It saves okay (never found another that does) and can even be used for pasta salad without the pasta getting gross while it sits (again, never found another that doesn't get weird at all).

• Like 2

----

This might explain why electric kettles are not as popular in the US. I do know they still are probably a bit faster than on the stove, but maybe not enough to have that thing taking up extra space. And looking at the electric kettles available to buy, many are lower in wattage than what the article uses as an example.

Is this regional? Electric kettles are very common here. They even sell them in the grocery store. Many people I know have them in their homes. I live on the east coast.

• Like 1

----

This might explain why electric kettles are not as popular in the US. I do know they still are probably a bit faster than on the stove, but maybe not enough to have that thing taking up extra space. And looking at the electric kettles available to buy, many are lower in wattage than what the article uses as an example.

Is this regional? Electric kettles are very common here. They even sell them in the grocery store. Many people I know have them in their homes. I live on the east coast.

I grew up on the east coast (north east).  I now live in NY.  I have never met a person who owned one and I never saw them in the store except Aldi once in awhile. 

When my husband moved here he wanted to know where our electric kettle was.  He grew up with one.  I didn't see the point, but offered to get one.  He changed his mind. 

Of course doing a search on Amazon or Walmart you can see they have plenty for sale.  Just, again, I have never seen them in the store.  And I have gone looking. 

Actually, we have a good lasagna recipe that you cook in a slow cooker.  The noodles start out uncooked in cold water, and when it's all done, the noodles are perfect.  So, yeah, that's pasta that started in cold water and turned out fine.

Uh, remember the (unofficial) board rules, missy! If a poster references a good recipe, said poster must also provide that recipe. Thank you for your cooperation. 

• Like 5

----

Although, thinking about this some more, one reason we did not have anything like an electric kettle is because we did not have counters.  There literally would have been nowhere to put such a thing.  As I said, I don't recall seeing anyone else with one, but given the way our kitchen was we wouldn't have had one even if they were wildly popular. 

I grew up on the east coast (north east).  I now live in NY.  I have never met a person who owned one and I never saw them in the store except Aldi once in awhile. 

I have only ever lived on the east coast - New Jersey, Florida, Georgia, back to Florida. I never owned one nor do I know anyone who has.

• Like 1

----

We are in Maine. I don't know anyone with one.

Where we lived in the Canadian maritimes, though, everyone did. But then nearly everyone I knew drank tea. Still, even if I were a tea drinker I wouldn't bother with an extra appliance. That's what microwaves are for. :)

• Like 1

I haven't heard of cooking pasta this way before--what a neat trick. I've only tried it the opposite way--boil the water, add pasta, cover and turn off heat. You have to let it sit about 20 mins to cook through. But then this method would take much longer. I have used my hot pot to boil water to add to the pasta pot because it boils faster than my gas stove will for an equal amount of water. OTOH we pay far less for gas so maybe I should just be patient with the longer time to boil. lol.

• Like 1

We are in Maine. I don't know anyone with one.

Where we lived in the Canadian maritimes, though, everyone did. But then nearly everyone I knew drank tea. Still, even if I were a tea drinker I wouldn't bother with an extra appliance. That's what microwaves are for. :)

My dad grew up in Maine.  We lived in CT.  They never had one.  They did have a percolator.  My grandmother still uses one.  I don't like percolated coffee.  Tastes muddy to me. 

• Like 1

My dad grew up in Maine. We lived in CT. They never had one. They did have a percolator. My grandmother still uses one. I don't like percolated coffee. Tastes muddy to me.[/quote

I agree. Like French press coffee, full of sediment.

My mother used a percolator at least through the mid 80s. It was her "fancy" coffeemaker, for company. :)

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 2

A friend who grew up here has an electric kettle.  I saw them at Walmart recently.  But unless I am making multiple cups of tea at once I just put the cup in the microwave; I have a nice stovetop pot for multiples.

I will have to try the cold water pasta method.   Thanks for the tip!

I live in Texas and I've never even HEARD of an electric kettle, much less seen one! (At least I don't think I have.) I'm going to have to check one out on Amazon.

This thread is great timing as we're having spaghetti tonight. I'm going to try this for sure!

I spent my first twenty years in Texas and I own a kettle. So did one of my grandmothers.

I heard somewhere, do not recall where, that it is not necessary to bring the water to a full boil before adding the pasta. So I've been trying it out. I fill up the pot with water and add the pasta right away. By the time the water starts to boil it is nearly done. It worked fine every single time. And it takes a lot less time overall to do it this way. It takes a similar amount of time to cook/soften, but since you don't have to wait for the water to come to a boil you are saving that bit of time.

----

Apparently though cooking fresh pasta is more finicky which may be where the concept of fully boiling water first came from.

I have an electric kettle and use it several times a day to boil water for tea and coffee. I dislike the way it tastes when I microwave the water - no rolling boil.

Some purists claim boiling water is not "proper" for coffee or tea.

I don't care and am not a purist.  We use a coffee maker and it doesn't bring the water to a boil.

I live in Texas and I've never even HEARD of an electric kettle, much less seen one! (At least I don't think I have.) I'm going to have to check one out on Amazon.

This thread is great timing as we're having spaghetti tonight. I'm going to try this for sure!

I never heard of it either until my husband asked about it.

But it is funny because I was just talking to him about this and he said he thinks the idea of an electric kettle is dumb because why have an appliance that only does one task unless you use it a lot.  This is completely opposite to what he said when he moved here 16 years ago!  LOL

How do you boil water for a cup of tea then ? Do you mostly have kettles that sit on the stovetop ?

I never drink tea. If DH wants some when he's sick he uses the microwave. I think we had a teapot eons ago but I know I never once used it so I probably donated it before some move or another.

We are a coffee family. :)

• Like 1

How do you boil water for a cup of tea then ? Do you mostly have kettles that sit on the stovetop ?

I haven't seen one of those stovetop kettles in ages.  Since I was a little girl.

I think people drink coffee more than tea in the US.  When my husband makes herbal tea, he microwaves the water to heat it.

• Like 2

Some purists claim boiling water is not "proper" for coffee or tea.

I don't care and am not a purist. We use a coffee maker and it doesn't bring the water to a boil.

Supposedly different teas are best brewed at different temperatures. I drink pretty straight ahead Indian tea which seems to do best with boiling water.

• Like 4