Menu

Constant Heartburn! Help!

Home'scool

I have heartburn every. single. day!

I have tried a couple of different over-the-counter medicines. Right now I take Zantac daily. Even with the medicine I still have to take one to two Tums during the night because I wake up with acid reflux.

I know I am probably about 20lbs overweight, but is that the only way to resolve this??

Any suggestions?

Check your diet/intake.

No soda, artificial sweeteners, mint gum, juice and NSAIDS...

Helped me to eat yogurt every day, too. I think it reintroduced good bacteria into my gut.

I have to stay away from Prilosec and the like (prion-pump inhibitors) because I got bleeding from them.

I have problems with this too.

So, if I'm careful and avoid all carbonated drinks, any and all caffeine, chocolate, citrus fruits (no lemon in my water), strawberries, tomatoes in any form (no pizza sauce and no salsa!), pineapple, and a few other items, I'm pretty good. But once I cheat and eat something on my do not eat list, the heart burn is there to stay until I take an OTC for several days.

I did purchase a wedge pillow to see if that would help. It probably would but it is not very comfortable, so I haven't made it through an entire night using it. 

I have IBS but had upper gastro stuff dx-ed at the same time and I took prescription stuff daily for a while for heartburn.  Daily probiotics and using flax as a fiber has really helped a bunch of gastro stuff.  As well as avoiding processed carbs - white sugar, white flour.  Exercise does help.  Walking is great.

• Like 1

Stress is by far my biggest trigger, followed closely by raw onions.

You really need to go see a doctor.  Ulcers are a cause of never ending heartburn, as are hiatal hernias.

In addition to limiting stress and avoiding food triggers, raising the head of your bed a few inches might help.

I never found any of the OTC medicines to be very helpful.  I needed a high dose of prescription medicine (Protonix) for a long period of time before I got things under control enough that I was able to start identifying my triggers.  Until then even a sip of water would set things off.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

Dh and I both get heartburn - his is a lot worse than mine, but I do end up eating a lot of TUMS.  When we went on the Whole 30 both of our heartburn went away.  I think mine might be related to baked goods.  I don't know what dh's is related to, but change of diet eliminated heartburn for both of us.  Of course, it was a year ago that we discovered this and dh is no longer eating W30 so his is back.  I'm on a W30 right now and after the first few days my heartburn went away completely again.

Ginger tea can help--you take several thin coins of fresh ginger, pour boiling water over them in a mug, crush slightly, and let steep until lukewarm.  Maybe every 2-4 hours for a week or so is what I do.

Find your triggers.  I don't have any particular problem with tomato sauce, but processed meats kill me, especially when I'm already sensitized.  That means no bacon, pepperoni, etc.  Not even bacon bits in a quiche.  

Don't let your stomach ever get overly full.  Don't eat within two hours of lying down.

Sleep on your back or on your left side, with two pillows.

I find that prescription strength prilosec twice a day is what I need to get a daily heartburn under control.  Once it stops being so frequent, then I can do the other maintenance stuff and keep it under control mostly.

if OTC things aren't helping and it is constant you need to see a doctor at this point. It may be more than reflux and you need to know that.

If they make some suggestions or make some prescriptions and it still doesn't help the doctor will want to do scope. It's not fun, but it can be very helpful as a diagnostic.

• Like 2

Don't ignore heartburn. My mom's late husband was a pharmacist and kept dosing himself. It was esophageal cancer and late stage by the time he went to the doctor.

DH takes omeprazole and Zantac (both OTC now) to manage his, depending. On doctor's orders.

Heartburn was an early sign of pregnancy for me. Never have it any other time.

• Like 1

I got mine under control with no triggers (for me, raw tomatoes, raw onions, caffeine, alcohol, citrus) and an extended use of PPIs. I had to try a couple of different PPIs until one worked. Very important for me too - and I rarely see this discussed - was wearing loose clothing around my waist, and not slouching when I am sitting.

I still have to wear loose waistbands or it comes back quickly, but I can have my trigger foods in moderation without having to medicate. I've just started yoga which will help with stress, but I sure am upside down a lot. We'll see which wins 😄

Editing to agree with others that you need to rule out other issues too. I got a scope and don't remember anything about it, so there was nothing unpleasant.

Edited by livetoread

I agree with the ladies above.  Find the foods, drinks and life things that affect you.  You may need to keep a food journal, sleep elevated.  I found relief with diet changes, two pillows and eating dinner earlier and making lunch my biggest meal of the day.

Consulting with your doctor is a good idea esp. if it is every night. :grouphug:

This is one of the reasons I want to give up caffeine!  If I cut down on bread, sugar, tomatoes, it gets much better.  I can't do anything mint or I get horrible heartburn.  Which is weird!

It can be something more serious so it is good to get it checked out by a dr or nurse practitioner.

Gluten and sugar bother me. If I eat too much sugary stuff or carbs, I will get heartburn. I will also have a problem if my back goes out between my shoulder blades.

I have to be careful with some spices, but not all the time. Spices can actually dilate the sphincter that keeps acid in the right place.

If the heart burn is not relieve by diet change or a 14 day dose of priolsec go see a doctor.  This could be a sign of stomach and esophageal cancer.  My mother had lymphoma of the stomach.  It was caught early.

I've had patients that report heart burn that it ended up being post nasal drip from sinus infection, heart attack, esophageal  rupture, hernia and gall bladder attack just to name afew   There are some obvious disease associated with heart burn but then sometimes its the unexpected

Listen to your body go with the most obvious causes but if that doesn't  work please see a doctor. 

try a prolsec regiment, cut out sugar and spice foods, hydrate your body, exercise your body this helps with GI mobility and finally sleep with your head elevated.  This should help if it lifestyle and not yet  developed into a more chronic condition

Is this new onset or a worsening of previous intermediate heart burn if its moved up in severity quickly  do not try to treat  go on to a doctor the lining of your esophagus  may already be really thin   and leading to a tear/bleed or some type of ulcer

If I avoid raw onions I don't experience it often.  But at only 20 pounds overweight I'd think something else is wrong- maybe an ulcer, maybe a valve problem causing acid reflux.  It's time for a doctor visit.  Have you been on NSAID's for a while?  They tend to cause ulcers.