Menu

Are you all hunkered down in and around Washington DC?

Liz CA

A moderate drift behind our car (shoveling territory when we get out to shovel):

111_3_1.jpg

And the yardstick itself is not local (see cities on it), so it's going BRR! :lol:

It's still coming down... the seats on the picnic table are now below the height of the snow.

I'll admit I'm loving it - from indoors with my cup of hot chocolate!

Maybe it's really from the one in Russia. :)

• Like 5

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm LOLing at your yardstick, Creekland.  It has phone numbers for businesses in Clearwater and Largo (Florida) on it.  I am currently sitting in Clearwater, FL (with a space heater because it is cold and windy outside).

ETA:  And, I see you already mentioned that.  :leaving:

We used to live in St Petersburg... and don't throw useful things away.  ;)

These are the times when the boys used to ask us why we moved.  :lol:

We'll get more pics before dark even though the snow isn't supposed to end until later.  We won't start shoveling until tomorrow - no point in doing it now.  Even the paths we made out walking earlier are already filled in with just the time we've been Skyping.

• Like 3

We're getting there, we're getting there. My 10 year old is more of a help than my 13 year old. Poor guy. He's my adhd kid and is a bit like Messy Marvin. He tries so hard to help, but he can't always think ahead because he's distracted. Last year he "helped" and ended up putting all his shovelfuls of snow right back onto where my dh had been shoveling.

This year he did a pretty good job of clearing out some snow near the cars, but he got bored very, very quickly. So he went inside and took off all his wet clothes and left them on the ceramic tiling by the back door. The back door where the litter box is. So, all the clumps of ice on his clothes melted into a decent sized puddle and then a cat used the box and kicked a bunch of litter into the water. Clumping litter. I'm going to goodnaturedly oversee while he cleans it up. My little Messy Marvin! Poor kid. He tries so hard, but focusing and thinking ahead are still a challenge. :).

But my ds10 did an awesome job shoveling and DH who adores the snow, was able to shove the snowblower around without using that shoulder and so he was happy, too.

I think my son (ADHD, EF issues) was 14 or maybe even 15 when he really started being helpful.  He's usually ready to work now without any prompting.

First he goes across the street to be sure the hydrant is clear.  :-) 

My daughter pretends to help but she doesn't do much.  And it seems to have been decided that for now, my place is inside, making the hot cocoa, prepping dinner ahead in case the power goes out and we have to use the burner on the gas grills, and moving towels around the floors to wipe up the snowy bits brought in. 

• Like 2

I am in NJ, fortunately, not in ocean city. There is a lot of snow out there. The kids and I shoveled but it is still coming down out there. They hate that we have to shovel multiple times during yhese storms. No matter how many times I explain that it is easier to shovel less snow multiple times they don't want to hear it.

• Like 4

Well, I think we should all agree that Tian Tian won the internet today:

https://twitter.com/NationalZoo/status/690915532539838464

When I first saw it, I was like, omg, I might need to walk to the zoo. But then I remembered I didn't want to walk anywhere. Also that I think the zoo is closed...

That's the most I've ever seen any panda move--ever!
  • Like 5

Lovely snow day. Still falling. Guessing about 2 feet so far. DH shoveled the deck and said he regrets letting the kids out first -- easier shoveling where little feet had not tread.

It was much colder out than I expected when I slipped out to snap a few pics. Will gear up properly next time.

Need to come up with some make shift sleds for tomorrow.

Edited by xixstar
  • Like 3

I am in NJ, fortunately, not in ocean city. There is a lot of snow out there. The kids and I shoveled but it is still coming down out there. They hate that we have to shovel multiple times during yhese storms. No matter how many times I explain that it is easier to shovel less snow multiple times they don't want to hear it.

We are in northern NJ. Predictions were reasonable, 6-12". But the storm changed, now 12-24" or maybe 18-24"? There was almost a foot when I went out yo shovel around 11am. NJ Transit stopped trains and busses this morning. NYC announced a travel ban beginning at 4 pm; I think the underground parts of the subways may still run, not sure, as they use tunnels to store trains.

We shovel a bit at a time. By the time I finished driveway -- about 1 hour -- the shoveled part had another 1-2". I had planned on being housebound with moderate snow.mthis is a whole different ball game.

The side of our house the snow is coming from has snow half way up the first floor windows.

The picnic table hubby wanted breakfast at has the seats totally covered and it's rapidly building up toward the table itself.  There's no sign at all that either of us have been outside.

I'm pretty glad we're not tent camping right now... older version log cabin wouldn't be high on my list either.  Modern conveniences are downright nice!

In about 2 or 2 1/2 hours we'll trek out for more pics.

• Like 3

It's beautiful out right now. We have 12 inches and it's still falling. I'm hoping we can double that. :-) The wind had been swinging wildly between unbearable and meh.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Edited by Hoot
  • Like 2

Well, I think we should all agree that Tian Tian won the internet today:

https://twitter.com/NationalZoo/status/690915532539838464

When I first saw it, I was like, omg, I might need to walk to the zoo. But then I remembered I didn't want to walk anywhere. Also that I think the zoo is closed...

I had my wife come in here to see that video.  Thanks!   We live in a Tropical Valley and the current temperature is about 89.6 F. so we are *sweltering* and greatly enjoying the beautiful photos of snow in this thread and the explanations of what different people are experiencing and thinking.  Be careful in the snow and enjoy for us!

• Like 5

Well, we went out in it and walked about five blocks away to go sledding. It's soooo deep. But lots of foot traffic out in my neighborhood. A good number of sledders. Also shoppers and people shoveling. I saw about a dozen SUV's out, plus a couple of fire trucks, and four plows. Many of the roads were being plowed continuously, which is nice to see.

Interesting observation though - our neighborhood is pretty evenly split between white, black and Latino, but a large proportion of the people out in the snow were all Latino, especially the people playing in the snow. I saw a lot more white people walking their dogs.

I let the kids walk home and went to the grocery store on the way home. It was well staffed and reasonably well stocked all things considered. The bread and chip aisles were sort of ransacked, but there were still plenty of options. I asked the deli guy if they got extra pay and he said oh yes, very good extra pay. He said they pay extra and call up all the people who work in the neighborhood, which was what I expected.

And finally, this hilarious gem from the ballet company ds is performing with next week. Rehearsal tomorrow at 10 am? It's on. Yeah, I was like,  :huh:  :lol:  :confused1:  The metro and buses aren't running. There's zero way I can dig the car out in the alley. So... current plan is hitchhike. 

• Like 4

Isn't metro closed through tomorrow night?

My third round of shoveling just about did me in. And it's still coming. And there is nowhere to put this stuff. I started stuffing shovel fulls down the storm drain. I need to have everything cleared so I can go to a meeting on Monday. I won't find out until Monday morning if the meeting is still on and I need to be ready just in case. Bleah!

• Like 1

Well, we went out in it and walked about five blocks away to go sledding. It's soooo deep. But lots of foot traffic out in my neighborhood. A good number of sledders. Also shoppers and people shoveling. I saw about a dozen SUV's out, plus a couple of fire trucks, and four plows. Many of the roads were being plowed continuously, which is nice to see.

Interesting observation though - our neighborhood is pretty evenly split between white, black and Latino, but a large proportion of the people out in the snow were all Latino, especially the people playing in the snow. I saw a lot more white people walking their dogs.

I let the kids walk home and went to the grocery store on the way home. It was well staffed and reasonably well stocked all things considered. The bread and chip aisles were sort of ransacked, but there were still plenty of options. I asked the deli guy if they got extra pay and he said oh yes, very good extra pay. He said they pay extra and call up all the people who work in the neighborhood, which was what I expected.

And finally, this hilarious gem from the ballet company ds is performing with next week. Rehearsal tomorrow at 10 am? It's on. Yeah, I was like, :huh: :lol: :confused1: The metro and buses aren't running. There's zero way I can dig the car out in the alley. So... current plan is hitchhike.

Rehearsal is on? My friends are saying they have already closed schools for Monday in Baltimore. The ballet company is insane.

My friend who is a nurse at Ho Co General (is it still called that?) has been digging out her truck. She has to report Monday morning. She said if a plow comes through, she won't be able to find her smaller car.

Edited by Caroline
  • Like 2

Update northern NJ. Forecasters are now dropping the 18" out of the 18 - 24" forecast. So 2 feet or more. No cars allowed in NYC or NY suburbs. NJ has not banned cars, though I think they should.

Snow is now close to horizontal, 1 -2" per hour.

Edited by Alessandra

Rehearsal is on? My friends are saying they have already closed schools for Monday in Baltimore. The ballet company is insane.

Yes. Yes they are.

The Metro is closed. Metrobus and Circulator aren't running. They said stay off the roads. It's nuts. Apparently Uber is running a few of their cars so... I dunno. Maybe we could make it over there in the morning. It's not *that* far, though Google maps estimates it's about an hour walk, presumably without the snow.

Hubby is out taking pics as I type.  When I took a couple of him, he was telling me he was getting 27" on the yardstick.  We're not done yet...

Shoveling the driveway will give us quite the workout tomorrow.  I haven't heard about school Monday, but I imagine there will at least be a 2 hour delay.  Perhaps not.  Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day, but still.  That's a lot of snow to move.

Church is cancelled, of course.  It'll be another relaxing lazy day around here (except for the shoveling).  The turkey should taste good.

Even with the wind, we haven't had any power outages.  Have those happened elsewhere?

I heard sirens from town not too long ago.  Someone isn't having a good day.  Even if it were a dire emergency back our road, no one is getting here anytime quickly.  This is why we keep well prepared "just in case."

• Like 2

And finally, this hilarious gem from the ballet company ds is performing with next week. Rehearsal tomorrow at 10 am? It's on. Yeah, I was like,  :huh:  :lol:  :confused1:  The metro and buses aren't running. There's zero way I can dig the car out in the alley. So... current plan is hitchhike. 

If the Latinos you saw playing in the Snow are from Latin America, that may be the first time they have been able to play in Snow. If your DS goes to the rehearsal Sunday morning, he should have spare clothes, food and water in his backpack, in case he can't get home. In a news story, I read about a woman from Raleigh who went to Chicago for a meeting, Thursday morning, expecting to be there for a few hours. She got stuck there, with her computer, cell phone and a good book. But, no spare clothes... 

• Like 2

well, it's official.. I've been in denial all day and even went out to shovel for about 30mins.  I'm sick.  I've been fighting a head cold for nearly 2 weeks.  In the middle of the night I woke up feeling really off.  I pushed through most of today but once I sat down it started felling worse, and worse and worse.  Now I have a low-grade temp.

I hate being sick.  I had plans for this snowcation.  Make some communion bread, clean out the pantry, mop the floors, etc. etc.   At least I got dinner in the crockpot.  Dh and kids will have to finish up the final prep.

If the Latinos you saw playing in the Snow are from Latin America, that may be the first time they have been able to play in Snow. If your DS goes to the rehearsal Sunday morning, he should have spare clothes, food and water in his backpack, in case he can't get home. In a news story, I read about a woman from Raleigh who went to Chicago for a meeting, Thursday morning, expecting to be there for a few hours. She got stuck there, with her computer, cell phone and a good book. But, no spare clothes...

All the Latinos in our hood are from Central America, but I'm thinking they've been here awhile. I think they all just knew how to have a better time in the snow - how to take advantage of the moment.

If ds goes to rehearsal, we will definitely be hitchhiking home. No way will I be walking that twice. Or spending the night in the Kennedy center. My hope now is that the Kennedy Center closes. That would teach those crazy ballet people...

• Like 4

More pics.  We won't get final pics at full height since it ends overnight, but the local news has said we've set an all time record for a single storm.  It's kinda neat living through records...

Our pineapple plants are glad we remembered to bring them inside.  Snow is drifted up next to our downstairs windows...

121_1_1.jpg

The scene out our front porch.  There are supposed to be steps below the snow.  The mailbox more or less shows the height of the snow.  The bush is where the Snow Alps were before.  Glad our snow markers (marking the road) are high! 

129_2_1.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is missing footage from the famous Bigfoot video...

132_3_1.jpg

27 1/2 inches at this spot.

134_4_1.jpg

Can't wait for shoveling tomorrow!  And the news says we're getting another 2-4 inches before it stops.

138_5_1.jpg

The door we usually use.  Glad we have the porch door as an alternate.  This door wouldn't budge from the inside.

141_6_1.jpg

We have more... but those give the gist of it.

ps  The ponies did finally go into the barn!  I can only imagine what they're thinking!

• Like 8

I'm thinking kids will be off Mon and Tues and go back with a 2hr delay Weds. It's supposed to be 48 and raining here in the DC area on Tues, and only have an overnight low of 36.

Dd just reminded me that the sidewalk she used to come home from the bus stop will have Route 1 snow plowed up over it, and no one shovels it.

Fun times.

• Like 1

Dd just reminded me that the sidewalk she used to come home from the bus stop will have Route 1 snow plowed up over it, and no one shovels it.

Fun times.

Where I live the bike paths get plowed, but not the sidewalks. Bike paths belong to HOA. Dd usually walks hust over a mile on sidewalks, bike path route is slightly longer, but after storms she always switches to the path. There is one spot at the top of our street with 15 yards of sidewalk before she gets to the path. VDOT always covers the sidewalk with mountains of snow. If I'm not completely done in, I may walk up there and try to clear that part of the sidewalk.

And finally, this hilarious gem from the ballet company ds is performing with next week. Rehearsal tomorrow at 10 am? It's on. Yeah, I was like, :huh: :lol: :confused1: The metro and buses aren't running. There's zero way I can dig the car out in the alley. So... current plan is hitchhike.

That's crazy. IMO, of course.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

I have to say I'm a little bit jealous. Not of anyone who loses power, or anyone who absolutely has to go shovel the stuff. I have loved the few times we've ever been snowed in. We had 16" two years ago and that was by far the most snow we've had in 20+ years of living here. Today it's 49° and a little rainy at times here in Oregon.

• Like 5

All the Latinos in our hood are from Central America, but I'm thinking they've been here awhile. I think they all just knew how to have a better time in the snow - how to take advantage of the moment.

If ds goes to rehearsal, we will definitely be hitchhiking home. No way will I be walking that twice. Or spending the night in the Kennedy center. My hope now is that the Kennedy Center closes. That would teach those crazy ballet people...

Kennedy Center is closed for today, and for tomorrow's matinees.  No decision about tomorrow night's performances yet, but to me that's a sign that they shouldn't be calling in kids for rehearsals that start early than matinees would.

• Like 2

I have to say I'm a little bit jealous. Not of anyone who loses power, or anyone who absolutely has to go shovel the stuff. I have loved the few times we've ever been snowed in. We had 16" two years ago and that was by far the most snow we've had in 20+ years of living here. Today it's 49° and a little rainy at times here in Oregon.

I'll admit to enjoying this storm and watching it pile up.  Setting an all time record is also a nice bonus.  Shoveling will help ensure we stay in shape, though we'll take it in steps since we're not in shape for that amount of shoveling (and hubby's latest blood test numbers give me pause about his cardiac health).

The nicest thing about the storm is the time off with absolutely nothing on our "must do" list - and we get another day of it tomorrow more or less (shoveling will happen).

Tied for the nicest thing is how gorgeous things look with the pure white snow!

Y'all are making me want to go make some hot chocolate.

*shiver*

The combo of hot chocolate and a warm house feels really good when we come inside after having been out!

The cats chewed us out tonight though.  They go to the bathroom outside and dutifully asked to go out at their usual time - completely unaware of what would await them.  I promised I'd let them back in after 5 minutes, but... got talking on the phone with my sister... and remembered them 35 minutes later.  They were using words I can't repeat on here...

• Like 7

post-34099-0-59681200-1453595522_thumb.jpg

My husband's car just now. The lower right corner of the photo is the street, where it has been plowed a couple of times today. The snow started here (between Baltimore and DC) around 2:30 yesterday afternoon, but it really started accumulating through the night. It's a lot of snow for just over 24 hours!

post-34099-0-59681200-1453595522_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Oldest made an igloo big enough for all 3 to hang out in comfortably. Do got a huge chunk of drove shoveled, but was smart to leave a wall along the road to keep the plows from filling in all the hard work.

Hoping tomorrow will be lots of fun play, was too blustery for me to go out with the baby today.

• Like 4

I'll admit to enjoying this storm and watching it pile up. Setting an all time record is also a nice bonus. Shoveling will help ensure we stay in shape, though we'll take it in steps since we're not in shape for that amount of shoveling (and hubby's latest blood test numbers give me pause about his cardiac health).

The nicest thing about the storm is the time off with absolutely nothing on our "must do" list - and we get another day of it tomorrow more or less (shoveling will happen).

Tied for the nicest thing is how gorgeous things look with the pure white snow!

The combo of hot chocolate and a warm house feels really good when we come inside after having been out!

The cats chewed us out tonight though. They go to the bathroom outside and dutifully asked to go out at their usual time - completely unaware of what would await them. I promised I'd let them back in after 5 minutes, but... got talking on the phone with my sister... and remembered them 35 minutes later. They were using words I can't repeat on here...

Our cats are in the basement. They stay in the garage and come and go outside theough a pet door. But when I opened the house/garage door, one cat shot in like, "What the heck?! I don't want to be out there!" They do use a litter box if/when the weather outside is uncooperative. So they are in the basement with a litter pan.

• Like 1

So the gas company just told us to keep our vents clear so CO2 doesn't build up. I now know that I have this vent, and should keep it clear, but not where it's located :-/

I was wondering about that too. I did find an article that said newer high efficiency systems are likely to vent to the side of the house but others vent on the roof.

Oh, and for anyone following the rehearsal saga... moved to 3:30... for now. Sigh. I feel strangely bad for the kids who were going to get to miss a week of school to dance. Now they'll end up missing a week of snow days to dance. Just doesn't have quite the same appeal (though this group is so dedicated to dance... I'm sure most of them would have signed on anyway).

• Like 3

Oh, and for anyone following the rehearsal saga... moved to 3:30... for now. Sigh. I feel strangely bad for the kids who were going to get to miss a week of school to dance. Now they'll end up missing a week of snow days to dance. Just doesn't have quite the same appeal (though this group is so dedicated to dance... I'm sure most of them would have signed on anyway).

There are kids at dd's studio who show up when it's not opened hoping an instructor will come early. They usually follow school weather closings. When schools close for weather, and the roads are passable those kids will show up hoping the owner will let them use a studio. So, yes, I could a bunch of kids happy to depend a week of snow days in rehearsal.

• Like 1

My son measured for us and we got 19" in the front. It is hard to tell exactly because there's some wind. I also saw that the wind has yet to come. DH is out shoveling. My son was shoveling earlier and 2 girls are eating breakfast and heading out. I'll probably head out later too, but I'm fighting and never-ending head cold. Ugh. Thought I was finally over it but woke up last night feeling miserable.

Hopefully, this photo will work. Taken around 9am

12565421_10154558431259832_2787210916742

What a charming neighborhood!

Lovely snow day. Still falling. Guessing about 2 feet so far. DH shoveled the deck and said he regrets letting the kids out first -- easier shoveling where little feet had not tread.

It was much colder out than I expected when I slipped out to snap a few pics. Will gear up properly next time.

Need to come up with some make shift sleds for tomorrow.

Large baking sheets? Even flattened cardboard works.

• Like 1

Yeah, find your vent.  If need be, look in the basement and see where the pipe from the furnace goes to, that will let you know where to dig outside.. Our furnace (high efficiency) vents to about three feet off the ground, which would be fine except for drifting snow can pile up next to the house.

Of course, here in Illinois we are NOT getting any snow this time. :-)  

I hope the folks stuck on the turnpike are also keeping their tailpipes unburied.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

I've really enjoyed hearing all the stories and seeing all the pics today!  And it's even better because it was 28 degrees in my neck of Illinois today- nice enough to venture out in just a hoodie. 

So sorry to read about the folks stranded or who had wrecks. That's the sad side of such a storm. Stay safe, boardies!

• Like 2

Did anyone else get to see how gorgeous it all looked when the clouds cleared and with the near full moon shining on the snow it looked like daylight?

I love times like that!

In another hour or two I'll start shoveling.  My thermometer is showing me 9 degrees out right now... so I think I can put it off for a little bit longer.

My mom called to gloat last night (friendly gloat).  She lives in upstate NY near the Canadian border still - where I grew up.  She knows I opted to live farther south to escape the harsh winters in that region.  They hardly have any snow at the moment and got none from this storm.  So they win one.  Yes one.  I'm pretty sure we still win the overall war...  :lol:   And besides, I still like having been here when we set this new all-time record, though she also scoffs at how low the record is.  So I have lived through larger storms/blizzards before when living there.  Details, details!   :coolgleamA:

(I repeat that this was all friendly - not a vent at all - my family enjoys humor and doesn't get upset at our little battles like this.  It's fun.)

• Like 5

Did anyone else get to see how gorgeous it all looked when the clouds cleared and with the near full moon shining on the snow it looked like daylight?[/b

I love times like that!

In another hour or two I'll start shoveling. My thermometer is showing me 9 degrees out right now... so I think I can put it off for a little bit longer.

My mom called to gloat last night (friendly gloat). She lives in upstate NY near the Canadian border still - where I grew up. She knows I opted to live farther south to escape the harsh winters in that region. They hardly have any snow at the moment and got none from this storm. So they win one. Yes one. I'm pretty sure we still win the overall war... :lol: And besides, I still like having been here when we set this new all-time record, though she also scoffs at how low the record is. So I have lived through larger storms/blizzards before when living there. Details, details! :coolgleamA:

(I repeat that this was all friendly - not a vent at all - my family enjoys humor and doesn't get upset at our little battles like this. It's fun.)

I was looking at that out my bedroom window this morning. It was magnificent! The shadows of large trees spread over all that deep snow - Magnificent! I considered getting my camera, but I don't know that I could have capture it as beautifully.

• Like 1