Menu

Baby Name Help

lexi

Baby Names  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which name is your favorite?

Here's a thread to hopefully lighten things up a little.......maybe.......

I need help with a baby name. We are expecting a little girl in March and family members and friends have chimed in with name ideas. We are having a very hard time agreeing on a name. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed this time for some reason. 

I made a poll with 4 names that are potential contenders. Tell me your favorite and comment if you have any other suggestions. 

Our other girls are Jaylyn, Ellie, Adley, and Cora. We would like a name that does not start with those 4 letters. 

Our last name starts with H and is 3 syllables. I would prefer a name that had only 1 or 2 syllables for the first name. Otherwise it just sounds very long. And I don't want a name that begins with H. 

So........thoughts, suggestions, ideas? 

ETA: Feel free to move the middle names around to put them with other first names. And if you have other suggestions for names that go well with those first names or those middle names please throw those out. We're in the list-making stage right now and nothing is decided. 

The only thing that was decided was a boy's name........but obviously that doesn't help us now!

Edited by lexi

I chose Lainey. I don't like Kenzie much because it makes me think of the nine million McKenzie/McKenna/Machaela etc. names that were so popular for a while.

I also think Lainey meets your requirements nicely.

• Like 2

I voted and wish you best of luck agreeing! We're expecting at the beginning of May, and I'm positive it's a girl because DH and I can't agree on a single girl name. She 'll spend her life as Baby Girl K!

We had a boy name all picked out. Went to the ultrasound and...now we start over!

• Like 1

They sound mostly like nicknames, and I'm not big on cute spellings.

Personally, out of those choices, I would opt for Brynley (different spelling).

I was thinking the same thing--that the names seemed like nicknames, or names one would call little girls. But looking ahead...in these forms they don't seem to fit (for instance) a mature, 30-something professional woman.

But if those are the names that make you happy, by all means go with them. :-)

• Like 5

I was thinking the same thing--that the names seemed like nicknames, or names one would call little girls. But looking ahead...in these forms they don't seem to fit (for instance) a mature, 30-something professional woman.

That's what they said about Jennifer back in the 60s and 70s, but nobody says it now because there are plenty of Jennifer doctors and lawyers and so on.

It's unlikely that any name is going to get the same number of children in our current culture of unique naming as Jennifer did back in the day (or Mary did in the preceding two or three generations), but it may not be a complete deal killer.

On the other hand, it is true that people can be biased against certain names when it comes to hiring.

I voted Lainey, but would use Lainey Nicole.   I am not crazy about it with the name Faith.

I have a weird brain connection that happens, if I hear a name that ends in a -y sound, with a noun middle name or last name.  My brain wants to make the -y work an adjective.  LOL  So Lainey Faith, makes me think of 'lame (y) faith'.  LOL  Stupid I know, but there you have it.  A little glimpse in to my odd brain.  Looking up the definition of the name Lainey says "bright light" so that sounds a little better "bright light faith" but personally, I would have to try really hard to think that over "lame faith". 

Brynlee is to soft to yell nicely (I have to make it very curt to yell it) and sounds made up to me. (sports parent LOL) 

Dacie, makes me think of Darcy and 2 different, annoying TV character from the 80s or 90s.  I work with names all.day.long and if I saw it on a prescription, I would assume Dacie was a typo.  I think it will forever be a problem name with spellings and pronunciations.

Kenzie is a decade late and overused when it was popular.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! It helps to have some opinions. 

The middle names are interchangeable and can go with any of the first names. 

And feel free to suggest other options that go well with those names. We're in the phase where we're making lists. We still have time to decide. 

I have a friend named Lane and have always loved the name. I personally would choose a more formal name that could be nickname-ized (like Lane or Elaine instead of Lainey, Bryn instead of Brynlee) rather than choosing a name that, to me, sounds like a nickname that might seem juvenile later in the child's life. But then, I guess it depends on what area of the country you are from and the customs there. Where I am from none of those names would work   A name like Ainsley would, though.

• Like 3

I like Lainey the best by far. I wouldn't put it with Faith because I don't like the two "ai" vowel sounds in a row. I wouldn't do Lainey Nicole because it make you say "neenih" and that tangles it up. Lainey Claire has the two "ai" vowels in a row again (although it's better because they don't sound the same). But I would go with Lainey Rose. I think that's beautiful.

Others ideas: Lainey Grace, Lainey Marie, Lainey Ruth. 

• Like 1

I like Lainey the best by far. I wouldn't put it with Faith because I don't like the two "ai" vowel sounds in a row. I wouldn't do Lainey Nicole because it make you say "neenih" and that tangles it up. Lainey Claire has the two "ai" vowels in a row again (although it's better because they don't sound the same). But I would go with Lainey Rose. I think that's beautiful.

So Janie Grace likes Lainey Grace? ;)

It's funny to me what you said about "neenih," because I thought I was the only person who thinks like this.

• Like 1

I also like Lainey Grace, Lainey Claire, and Lainey Rose. Although I have to admit I like all three of the middle names better than Lainey. All three sound like strong, but feminine names to me.
  • Like 2

I like Lainey of all those. It's a question of personal taste, though. I don't have a good reason--to me it just sounds classic. Lainey Rose would be my first choice for my own kids. I'm sure whatever you choose it will be a wonderful name for a sweet baby.

• Like 1