Menu

This is ridiculous!

regentrude

DS is applying for dual enrollment at the university where both DH and I teach. DH has been in contact with the admissions counselor.

DH emailed them the transcript as a pdf. We received the reply that this is would be considered an unofficial transcript; the admissions counselor will print it out and add it to the application as "unofficial". An official transcript must be on paper in a sealed envelope, mailed or hand delivered.

So I will print the exact same file the admissions person printed, stick it in an envelope, seal it shut - and that makes it official???

Crazy.

• Like 7

It is crazy.  And so far what I have discovered is that it depends on who you end up talking to.  When I went to the CC I had to speak to someone in advisement to get a waiver for not showing proof of the prerequisite.  She said I didn't need to provide proof because I was not matriculating and paying cash.  I brought DS down and we ended up with someone else.  I asked for a waiver, the woman claimed they don't do that and that he needs to take the placement test.  I said well they told me I could get a waiver so why not him?  Whatever.  He took the placement test (and did a kick ass job).  I just don't understand why nobody seems to know what the procedures are.

• Like 1

Yesterday, a college rep called and said they did not have dd's ACT scores, and could I get them in ASAP? They were already a bit worried about her transcript, you see . . . 

First of all, I knew her ACT scores were electronically sent and received weeks ago. It's not like they could be misplaced. 

Second of all, dd has already been accepted, and offered a full scholarship to boot. 

I have some sympathy for the tremendous amount of paperwork and information they are dealing with, but for the love o' pete, it sure seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and, like Sparkly Unicorn said, people have widely varying ideas about procedures that realy should be straightforward (or at least written down somewhere!). 

• Like 9

Yesterday, a college rep called and said they did not have dd's ACT scores, and could I get them in ASAP? They were already a bit worried about her transcript, you see . . . 

First of all, I knew her ACT scores were electronically sent and received weeks ago. It's not like they could be misplaced. 

Second of all, dd has already been accepted, and offered a full scholarship to boot. 

I have some sympathy for the tremendous amount of paperwork and information they are dealing with, but for the love o' pete, it sure seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and, like Sparkly Unicorn said, people have widely varying ideas about procedures that realy should be straightforward (or at least written down somewhere!). 

When we finally had that straightened out the comedy didn't end there.  We went to the registration office.  The woman told us to register on the computer terminal they have set up there.  Ok.  So we went to do that it came up as him not being in the system.  So I got back in line to talk to her again.  She came over to the terminal because apparently she didn't believe me.  Indeed he was not in the system.  So she told us to go to another office which was across from her office to ask about getting into the computer system.  So we did that and the woman there said she can't do that until he registers.  Ok.  So we got back in line for the same registration person.  Again, she didn't seem to believe me when I told her what the other woman said.  So she went over there and indeed was told the same thing.  So she comes back and FINALLY just freaking does the registration.  I said to my son (while she could hear) that this is good preparation for the bureaucracy he'll encounter in this life.  :laugh:

• Like 19

Last year ds's college lost his transcript - twice! I sent a sealed envelope transcript the first time and they said they had it, then said they couldn't finish his application because they didn't have it. I sent a pdf and they entered that and he was accepted. Then later they said they couldn't process his scholarship because they were missing his transcript. Really? I emailed them back including the quoted message I had received saying that the transcript was received. They managed to locate it. Again. 

Ds is very happy at the school and I have been very pleased with their personal attention to both students and families. 

• Like 2

DS is applying for dual enrollment at the university where both DH and I teach. DH has been in contact with the admissions counselor.

DH emailed them the transcript as a pdf. We received the reply that this is would be considered an unofficial transcript; the admissions counselor will print it out and add it to the application as "unofficial". An official transcript must be on paper in a sealed envelope, mailed or hand delivered.

So I will print the exact same file the admissions person printed, stick it in an envelope, seal it shut - and that makes it official???

Crazy.

Regentrude, I feel your pain! Northern Michigan University demanded a notarized transcript. I mean, really! What does a random notary from the community know about my homeschooling? Nothing. I could be fabricating all kinds of stuff, and if I pay the fee and present my driver's license, they sign, seal, and stamp the thing. Makes no sense.

And this was for a university that is regional, and not particularly known for high standards. They have an amazing biology/natural resources/environmental science department with tons of research options beginning for 2nd semester freshman and all at a very reasonable price tag which is why my middle boy is very interested. They are known throughout the Midwest/Great Lakes Region for this, but considered not so great in some other areas. So what I put on his transcript was really kind of neither here or there for them. They go almost exclusively off GPA and ACT scores, and more so GPA. I had a friend who teaches in our local high school do a counselor letter for him which showed his ranking against the local graduating class, and they even indicated that this meant way more to them than the transcript. Sigh...but I still paid to get it notarized because otherwise it wasn't official.

Hoop jumping. It is crazy hoop jumping season out there people. We all need chocolate, cheesecake, and a stiff aperitif!

• Like 11

Reminds me of when the dual enrollment counselor at one college insisted that for homeschoolers to register they had to provide three documents demonstrating they were homeschooling.  He could not understand that each document was demonstrative of a different legal means of homeschooling (home study charter school, certified teacher tutor, or registered private school) and that no student would have all three.  Oh, he did concede that charter school students only needed the first document.  He insisted the only recourse was to appeal to the Dean of Students.

When we actually showed up to register, he was too busy to even speak to my son and just sent him over to the registrar, who had no issues at all with the documents we'd brought.

• Like 3

When I was doing in-processeing for my master's degree at a Swiss school, they kept asking me for my diploma, which I kept giving them, assuming they wanted a copy of my bachelor's degree diploma.  

"No!  No!  We want your high school diploma!"

"But I have a bachelor's degree?"

"We MUST have the high school diploma!"

So my mom had to fedex it to me from the US.  LOL

• Like 7

When I was doing in-processeing for my master's degree at a Swiss school, they kept asking me for my diploma, which I kept giving them, assuming they wanted a copy of my bachelor's degree diploma.  

Good grief! (said in my best Charlie Brown voice!)

We had this bit of insanity with dd. When she applied to transfer her medic license from Michigan to Jersey - mind you she was a fully licensed medic, passed the national registry exam with 100% which is pretty much unheard of, possessed an ER tech certification, and was shy six credits of her BS) they demanded proof of homeschooling for high school and a portfolio. NO JOKE! I had to send them some of her math and science tests and such that luckily I had kept. NUTS! She also had something like five or more FEMA certifications for Hazmat and disaster stuff, and all kinds of recommendations from the county medical director, and her supervisor. Nope, they apparently needed proof she complete high school math and science. U of MI organic chem with an A not being proof apparently.

Sigh, at times the bureaucratic nonsense gets old.

• Like 8

When we put our kids in dual enrollment, the transcript had to be signed and notarized to make it official.

Yes, one counsellor told us that too, and then the other said no. In the end just signed in their presence was fine. I thought it was funny because I too am a professor there and have actually been there longer than any of the counsellors.

When my oldest graduated and switched to regular enrollment, we had to bring in his diploma. Yes, his mom-and-dad signed diploma. THEY had to see it and make a copy of it. I couldn't make the copy. I also had to bring in a transcript that was not a copy which they kept.

For financial aid, an uploaded PDF was fine.

This is a homeschool-friendly college, but I don't understand their procedures!

• Like 3

Yes, one counsellor told us that too, and then the other said no. In the end just signed in their presence was fine. I thought it was funny because I too am a professor there and have actually been there longer than any of the counsellors.

When my oldest graduated and switched to regular enrollment, we had to bring in his diploma. Yes, his mom-and-dad signed diploma. THEY had to see it and make a copy of it. I couldn't make the copy. I also had to bring in a transcript that was not a copy which they kept.

For financial aid, an uploaded PDF was fine.

This is a homeschool-friendly college, but I don't understand their procedures!

They wanted to see the diploma?  As in the ceremonial certificate that doesn't list courses and grades?  I would have no idea where to lay hands on that.  I'm guessing it's somewhere at my mom's house.  

On a good day I could find where I put my college diploma.  It's still in the folder I got on graduation.  My masters degree diploma is framed, but somewhere in a box in a closet.  It's in the house, which is unusual, because it often ends up in storage.

• Like 2

I have absolutely no idea where my high school diploma is.  I know I had it at one point, but I haven't seen it in years, and have no idea where I'd even begin to look for it... 

• Like 4

This craziness reminds me of when my second child applied to the CC near us. Normally she would have driven herself, but for some reason I needed to do something else in the area that day. I'm glad I was. First, they told her she could not be considered a citizen of the county because she had been home schooled.(What does that have to do with it?) Then they told her she needed a special extra form because she was home schooled. (not in the state of Texas -- we are considered a private school. Then they were not going to accept her transcript (which had been notarized because I knew to do that from enrolling her older brother). I was trying to let her handle it, but at this point I walked up to the desk and asked what the problem was with the transcript (which was done just like her brother's that had been accepted). They answered that they did not want to accept A's and B's but wanted numerical final grades.

I said hand it to me and I will change it for you now. She said that I could not do that. I looked at her and said, " I am the principal; I am the teacher; and I am the parent. I wrote the transcript and I can change the transcript."  She said she would talk to her supervisor. One minute later we were in.

I had no problem with child number three a few years later (with everything done the same as the older two.). This lady did not know what she was doing.

• Like 6

Crazy.

Yes, it has to be sealed.

Otherwise the student could theoretically replace the contents. Sealed and signed. Of course there are ways to tamper with that but it's harder.

I'm surprised your uni doesn't have that rule--that's been the case with every place I've ever gone to school.

Bwa-Ha-Ha!  Bureaucracy.

Crazy.

Yes, it has to be sealed.

Otherwise the student could theoretically replace the contents. Sealed and signed. Of course there are ways to tamper with that but it's harder.

I'm surprised your uni doesn't have that rule--that's been the case with every place I've ever gone to school.

How can the student change the contents if the transcript is sent electronically from the school to the college???

Why does the school have to print the electronic transcript and stick it in an envelope?

Electronic transcripts were good enough for all the colleges DD applied to. That included schools of a much higher caliber.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

How can the student change the contents if the transcript is sent electronically from the school to the college???

Why does the school have to print the electronic transcript and stick it in an envelope?

Electronic transcripts were good enough for all the colleges DD applied to. That included schools of a much higher caliber.

I think there is a different level of legal fraud involved, or at least, at one time there was, in tampering with mail, so they kept those rules. I'm not saying it's right, just that there is a reason behind it, even if it's just a historical reason. The smaller schools probably don't have the admin and funds to update IT procedures, like making secure forms (we sure as heck don't) to make things as secure. Who knows.

I said hand it to me and I will change it for you now. She said that I could not do that. I looked at her and said, " I am the principal; I am the teacher; and I am the parent. I wrote the transcript and I can change the transcript."  She said she would talk to her supervisor. One minute later we were in.

Loved this story!!!

I recently switched from one Kaiser plan to another, and they wanted me to fax them the form they'd send me showing the coverage dates of the old plan before they would activate the new one. They sent it to the wrong address, so I called back and insisted that they fax it themselves. So they printed the letter again, and faxed it. To themselves. True story.

When I got divorced, the state of California wanted me to send in a form with things like our SSNs, divorce case number and so on for the Child Support Registry. I didn't have to look any of it up, because they printed every single bit of the information they said they wanted *in* the letter saying they wanted the information. 

• Like 7

This is actually one thing that worries me a teeny bit.  I mean, I am not going to lose sleep over it, but I have heard similar stories before where for some reason, even though the person had advanced degrees, they had a situation where the high school diploma was "required". 

This has been a policy for as long as I can remember. Dh and I both have sealed college transcripts (from 1995) in a file cabinet that we have had to use here and there. We just recently moved out of state and I made sure to get sealed transcripts for each of my dds to give to the new school. FTR, ours aren't just sealed in an envelope but they also have a stamp unique to the school issuing them on the flap so it is obvious if it's been broken. I do think it's silly but it seems to have been the norm for a while. 

An official transcript must be on paper in a sealed envelope, mailed or hand delivered.

Yep, that's what ours wanted too. 

I have heard more stories of people with advanced degrees needing to produce a high school diploma. I think this is the craziest thing! 

I said hand it to me and I will change it for you now. She said that I could not do that. I looked at her and said, " I am the principal; I am the teacher; and I am the parent. I wrote the transcript and I can change the transcript."  

LOVE this!

This thread is making me determined to not throw a single scrap of paper documentation away from dd's high school years. Just gonna keep all of it until she's 40, just in case some future employer-to-be who does not understand homeschooling makes a crazy request!

So far, half the schools dd has applied to had me mail them a paper copy of her transcript. The other half just took it from the Common App and (so far) that's good enough! I keep waiting for further notifications, though!

• Like 2

Crazy.

While I agree that it is crazy...might I suggest that you sign & date the transcript (mine have a line about my certifying that they are true, complete, and correct).  I might also sign or initial across the seal of the envelope.

Those were the goofy things they asked of high schools back in the old days before computer submissions took over.

And yes, looney, especially if they take Common App or any other online process for regular admissions.

Crazy.

Because I've been taught to "play the game," I've sent both of my children's transcripts in sealed envelopes and wrote "Official Homeschool Transcript" across the seal.

:laugh:

All of them have been accepted without question.  They might have been anyway, but I wanted to take what preemptive measures I could. 

When applying to state universities, the high schools upload the student's transcript once they are told which universities need it. Because we homeschool, I didn't have this ability, of course. I called the admissions counselor for the county we live in to ask her how she wanted me to send a transcript, by email or USPS. She told me to upload it. I explained to her that I couldn't do that because we homeschool. She said she'd never heard of that. 

Now, let me give you a little context. Homeschooling is very popular in our state. There were over 106 K homeschool students in our state last year. Just under 7K of them were 17 years old, so probably seniors. There were 10K homeschoolers in our county alone last year. If homeschooling were a county school system, it would be the third largest in the state. How can she possibly have never heard of homeschooling? 

I ended up talking to the Dean of Admissions who said "Oh sure, just mail it so we have your signature on file." At least someone knew what was going on! 

• Like 2

When applying to state universities, the high schools upload the student's transcript once they are told which universities need it. Because we homeschool, I didn't have this ability, of course. I called the admissions counselor for the county we live in to ask her how she wanted me to send a transcript, by email or USPS. She told me to upload it. I explained to her that I couldn't do that because we homeschool. She said she'd never heard of that. 

Now, let me give you a little context. Homeschooling is very popular in our state. There were over 106 K homeschool students in our state last year. Just under 7K of them were 17 years old, so probably seniors. There were 10K homeschoolers in our county alone last year. If homeschooling were a county school system, it would be the third largest in the state. How can she possibly have never heard of homeschooling? 

I ended up talking to the Dean of Admissions who said "Oh sure, just mail it so we have your signature on file." At least someone knew what was going on! 

:huh: :lol:

We chatted briefly with an admissions counselor of a large state uni last summer who told me that we needed to provide, among other things, proof from the state that we'd met SOLs, and proof of standardized test scores.  Except in our state, homeschoolers are exempt from SOLs, and we aren't required to test!

I was able to refer him to his school's webpage listing requirements for homeschoolers. 

• Like 7

Another funny story about dual enrollment.  I listed English I, II, III on the transcript instead of English 9, 10, 11.  This meant ds has to be evaluated for ESL because the course listing was "not standard."  He trucked over to the assessment office and chatted with the (student) receptionist.  She signed a piece of paper and sent him back.  Apparently the conversation went well enough that he did not have to take the TOEFL or some such.

Second semester:  I changed the course titles on the transcript (and explained why in the course descriptions in case it was ever questioned).  No trip to the assessment office.

I think ds was disappointed.  The receptionist was cute.

Edited by shage
  • Like 7

Crazy.

I had to do that exact thing for oldest's final transcript for her 4 yr uni.  And I think I had to sign across where the envelope seals as well.

• Like 1

Another funny story about dual enrollment.  I listed English I, II, III on the transcript instead of English 9, 10, 11.  This meant ds has to be evaluated for ESL because the course listing was "not standard."  He trucked over to the assessment office and chatted with the (student) receptionist.  She signed a piece of paper and sent him back.  Apparently the conversation went well enough that he did not have to take the TOEFL or some such.

Second semester:  I changed the course titles on the transcript (and explained why in the course descriptions in case it was ever questioned).  No trip to the assessment office.

I think ds was disappointed.  The receptionist was cute.

My nephew (grew up speaking English & French, moved to Spain in high school and graduated there, in Spanish) was required to take the TOEFL because his transcript was from a spanish school. This regardless of the very high score he got on the english-language SAT. 

• Like 1

I've been enjoying these stories, although I completely understand the frustration for the folks who lived them.  When DD first started taking dual enrollment at her CC, she had to bring in extra documentation that she was a state resident.  She was born here and has never lived anywhere else so I'm not sure what raised a flag that she may be from out of state. 

I've been enjoying these stories, although I completely understand the frustration for the folks who lived them.  When DD first started taking dual enrollment at her CC, she had to bring in extra documentation that she was a state resident.  She was born here and has never lived anywhere else so I'm not sure what raised a flag that she may be from out of state. 

Some friends of mine experienced this (applying to CCs in CA). So weird because their DCs were all born in and grew up in CA. Mine was never asked this, despite his birth country being outside US. It REALLY is who you get on the other side of the desk or admissions window or computer screen or whatever it is you are dealing with. Very frustrating.

I asked myself the same question about the transcript too. Just seal it and it becomes official? Huh! Or asking a notary to sign something he would have no idea about. It's as if bureaucrats ALWAYS need a middle person to manage risk for them whether that middle "person" be a notary or a piece of glued up paper like an envelope. They just don't want to take responsibility managing a situation themselves.

Edited by quark

One way that springs to mind is to fake the sender. This would be the electronic equivalent of putting someone else's return address on a letter you send -- the postmark provides some security, much like examining the full header info on an email will often expose a fake address, but a busy admin may not be trained to look for such things.

One way that springs to mind is to fake the sender. This would be the electronic equivalent of putting someone else's return address on a letter you send -- the postmark provides some security, much like examining the full header info on an email will often expose a fake address, but a busy admin may not be trained to look for such things.

If the student manages to create a fake transcript and submit it electronically by faking the sender, the student is equally capable of printing the fake transcript, sticking it in an envelope, sealing it, and hand delivering it to the admissions office.

• Like 7

regentrude, I had to do that, too, for one school ds applied to.

What I would like to know is this:  What do you do when a school tells you they don't have your student's SAT scores *that the College Board sent them on paper back in June???*  The excuse is that because there was no application on file yet from ds, they wouldn't have had anything to attach the scores to.  Well, how many kids apply for schools during the same time they are doing SATs (and subject tests)?  Can't the schools set these letters in a file in case they get applications?  What do I do?  The assistant registrar gave him a conditional acceptance, but he can't be considered for scholarships until they get his scores.  She is actually trying to get them from the CB herself, and I tried to get a waiver to have them sent to the school again, but haven't heard back from the CB yet.  But really, isn't this the school's responsibility, since they need to find their paper?  WWYD?

What I would like to know is this:  What do you do when a school tells you they don't have your student's SAT scores *that the College Board sent them on paper back in June???*  The excuse is that because there was no application on file yet from ds, they wouldn't have had anything to attach the scores to.  Well, how many kids apply for schools during the same time they are doing SATs (and subject tests)?  Can't the schools set these letters in a file in case they get applications?  What do I do?  The assistant registrar gave him a conditional acceptance, but he can't be considered for scholarships until they get his scores.  She is actually trying to get them from the CB herself, and I tried to get a waiver to have them sent to the school again, but haven't heard back from the CB yet.  But really, isn't this the school's responsibility, since they need to find their paper?  WWYD?

:bigear:

Ds is in this boat right now.  Applied to schools last month.  One school says they haven't received his (June) ACT scores.  The other school matched the scores up easily.  I spoke to the Admissions Dean today who said he would look into it.  We are hoping to hear something SOON. 

I would contact the school and request to speak to the director of admissions, not a counselor. Not all people involved in the process are knowledgeable, and the information you were given may not be correct - they may have the scores somewhere, just the person to whom you spoke might not know.

Next, I would contact the CB and request the scores be sent again. I would try to reach a person to explain the situation because I would prefer not to pay a second time to have the scores sent to the same school.

Ultimately, if it were a school my DC was really interested in, I'd suck it up and pay for another round of scores.

One of the colleges DD applied to lost our entire application (after creating a portal account for her; something that shows they had received the ap in the first place). The college she was accepted to lost our complete tax return. Schools are black holes for paperwork.

I agree that "Schools are black holes for paperwork."  We had various problems, too, fortunately, nothing that cost money or involved a giant corporation without any apparent customer service (like the college board people).  At least the school, after a brief check, got right back to me saying I was right, they had at one time had it but now couldn't find it and they couldn't send confirmation of a scholarship until they had it in hand.  We recent it.  Our local school system is worse.  I hand delivered our homeschool application each year just so I knew it had arrived.  Most of the time, I got nothing back telling me they had received it and approved it and if I didn't hand deliver, I had no way of knowing whether they knew we were still homeschooling.  I just kept telling myself that it was better to be such a non-issue that we could slip through the cracks than be a family that everyone watched and kept track of and remembered.

Good luck, Colleen!

Nan

• Like 2

I would contact the school and request to speak to the director of admissions, not a counselor. Not all people involved in the process are knowledgeable, and the information you were given may not be correct - they may have the scores somewhere, just the person to whom you spoke might not know.

Next, I would contact the CB and request the scores be sent again. I would try to reach a person to explain the situation because I would prefer not to pay a second time to have the scores sent to the same school.

Ultimately, if it were a school my DC was really interested in, I'd suck it up and pay for another round of scores.

One of the colleges DD applied to lost our entire application (after creating a portal account for her; something that shows they had received the ap in the first place). The college she was accepted to lost our complete tax return. Schools are black holes for paperwork.

When I talked with her a few weeks ago (she's an admissions officer - not sure if she's the head honcho or not), she told me that if the scores had come by mail last June, they would have been "filed" since there was no application on file yet.  But she didn't know where they might be.  Today when I e-mailed her to see if she'd made headway with the CB and to see if she'd possibly found the sent scores, she said they never came by mail.  HA!  I might just push her a bit and remind her of what she'd told me on the phone, and see if she can search the school for the scores, lol.  She also said she hasn't gotten through to the CB yet (well, she did a couple of weeks ago, but got transferred to five different people, the last of whom couldn't understand her AND asked her what the abbreviation of the state of Canada was......arrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!).  She said she'd try again tomorrow.

A few weeks ago, I did do what you mentioned above.  I was told someone would get back to me in 5-7 business days.  I haven't called back to follow up on why they haven't followed up with me - it was a VERY frustrating call the first time.  I probably should, though.  But, really, why should I, when it's the school's fault.  Ds will take the Math 2 SAT in January, and all his scores will be sent in February, in time for scholarship deadlines.  But we just want to know NOW.

I'm hearing a theme from you guys and from some friends here, about this black hole.  Ridiculous, as regentrude originally said, lol.

• Like 1

:bigear:

Ds is in this boat right now.  Applied to schools last month.  One school says they haven't received his (June) ACT scores.  The other school matched the scores up easily.  I spoke to the Admissions Dean today who said he would look into it.  We are hoping to hear something SOON. 

DD just got a call from an honors college she applied to and they said her ACT score on her (updated) transcript didn't match what they had on file. They still have her old ACT date in their records. I'd called admissions weeks ago and they said when the new score arrived they would AUTOMATICALLY update their system.

Well - harumph! No, they didn't! So, she gets to call people tomorrow to figure out who/where/how to get the correct ACT score matched up with her records. It's floating around somewhere!

Meanwhile, another university has (in the online portal) made note of receiving both of her ACT scores. It made her love THAT school even more - that they updated her records AND let her know they'd updated it. lol She LOVES organization!!

• Like 3

DD just got a call from an honors college she applied to and they said her ACT score on her (updated) transcript didn't match what they had on file. They still have her old ACT date in their records. I'd called admissions weeks ago and they said when the new score arrived they would AUTOMATICALLY update their system.

Well - harumph! No, they didn't! So, she gets to call people tomorrow to figure out who/where/how to get the correct ACT score matched up with her records. It's floating around somewhere!

Meanwhile, another university has (in the online portal) made note of receiving both of her ACT scores. It made her love THAT school even more - that they updated her records AND let her know they'd updated it. lol She LOVES organization!!

Sometimes I fantasize about a homeschool version of the scene in Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts goes back to the store that snubbed her to show the sales clerk her mistake.

I daydream about telling schools which odd requirement or less than polite reply made us put the school at the bottom of the heap. Not that I think the schools would do anything useful with my information.

• Like 4

Not that I think the schools would do anything useful with my information.

It's a nice fantasy to have, though! :P

DD called the school and they said it will automatically update - that their phone call was mainly a courtesy call in case she hadn't had the scores sent in yet... so they're back on the good list again. Then she called another uni (that doesn't have on the portal that they've received ANY ACT score) and they said her score IS updated in their system... they just, apparently, don't update the portal. lol

They're all so different!!!!! UGH!

• Like 1

It's a nice fantasy to have, though! :p

DD called the school and they said it will automatically update - that their phone call was mainly a courtesy call in case she hadn't had the scores sent in yet... so they're back on the good list again. Then she called another uni (that doesn't have on the portal that they've received ANY ACT score) and they said her score IS updated in their system... they just, apparently, don't update the portal. lol

They're all so different!!!!! UGH!

They just don't update the portal?  What on earth?

• Like 1

Crazy.

DS just received a similar request in writing from one of his schools.  Ridiculous, is right.  The transcript was downloaded from the Common App and the one I will stick in an envelope will be the same thing.

I was hoping DS would call the school, but he's burnt out from the essays, the phone calls and emails, and is in the midst of the auditioning process for his major.  He's got bigger fish to fry right now.  Can't blame him--it makes no sense.

One question--did you send it with a cover letter?

Nancy in NH

An official transcript must be on paper in a sealed envelope, mailed or hand delivered.

Crazy.

Had a similar issue with the 4-year university ds is currently attending on a full academic scholarship! Mid-semester, the admissions office decided they needed a new copy of his final transcript. He walked one over, but b/c it wasn't in a sealed envelope with my signature across the seal it wasn't official. A few weeks later, when I was there for parent weekend, he handed me the same copy of the transcript, I stuck it in an envelope and signed it, and the transcript was accepted that week. I got a followup email from the admissions office asking me to send an electronic pdf copy. Bureaucracy!!  :glare:

• Like 2