Menu

I want to dress like Miss Fisher

Cammie

Joan Watson from Elementary -- Her wardrobe is nothing like how I usually dress in jeans and t-shirts, but I love it. So chic and sophisticated yet still really cool. ETA: And very, very expensive, lol.

There is a tumblr dedicated to Joan's wardrobe: joansfashionshow.tumblr.com

You could totally pull that look off in real life - she is chic, professional and comfortable all at the same time!

• Like 1

ok, you guys are gonna laugh at me, but I don't care.  I love the clothes that Tina Fey wore as Liz Lemon.  They were always making jokes that she was frumpy etc, but the truth was that she always looked great.  I loooove her 'cute fitted cardigan with jeans and some cute shoes' look. And when the character dressed up for real she was always beautiful. She looks comfortable but 'creative-professional' in  way that I like.

• Like 3

I'd like to dress like an artist, but I can't think of a character I know that would be a good example. Pretty, feminine, comfortable. Colorful but earthy.

I love those clothes on Downton BUT I am not a size-less-than-zero and I don't want to be that strapped up all the time.

Hey, now that I think about it, did those women go from all day full length skirts to every day mid-calf through the course of the series? Gonna look that up when I get a minute.

• Like 2

I'd like to dress like an artist, but I can't think of a character I know that would be a good example. Pretty, feminine, comfortable. Colorful but earthy.

I love those clothes on Downton BUT I am not a size-less-than-zero and I don't want to be that strapped up all the time.

Hey, now that I think about it, did those women go from all day full length skirts to every day mid-calf through the course of the series? Gonna look that up when I get a minute.

I'd like to dress like this. Not sure how to start, though.

ok, you guys are gonna laugh at me, but I don't care.  I love the clothes that Tina Fey wore as Liz Lemon.  They were always making jokes that she was frumpy etc, but the truth was that she always looked great.  I loooove her 'cute fitted cardigan with jeans and some cute shoes' look. And when the character dressed up for real she was always beautiful. She looks comfortable but 'creative-professional' in  way that I like.

And she had cupcake pajama pants!

• Like 1

I would love to be as stylish as Kate Middleton or SarahKJP (instagram account). 

I love their preppy clothes. Sadly, I have neither the body nor the budget to dress like them. 

I'm too old to pull off Kate's style without looking ridiculous, but I wouldn't mind having her mother's fashion sense.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Carole+Middleton%27s+Style&FORM=HDRSC2

• Like 1

Who is Miss Fisher? Could you perhaps be meaning Miss Frizzle? But perhaps I'm guessing the wrong tv. show.

LOL I did a year of dressing like Ms. Frizzle for my modern history class. Hoop skirts for the civil war, Gibson girl during westward expansion, dropped waists and long beads for the 20s... The kids loved guessing what I'd be dressed as for each class, and they even started to dress up with me by the end of the year. It was hilariously fun, and rekindled my love of retro clothing.

I'm another fan of Kate's clothes. I envy the perfectly pressed, never rumpled or hurried look. A wardrobe assistant or servant is really what I need to pull off the look properly. My iron is sadly neglected.

• Like 5

Pride and Prejudice. I wish big, puffy, pretty Regency dresses would come back in style. So feminine and forgiving.

I think they look so heavy and hot though.  And the corsets etc are so, so uncomfortable, at least to me.  Emma Thompson has nothing good to say about having to dress Regency period. She said it was like walking around with your torso and pelvis in a full cast.

• Like 1

I like the 20s look, but I don't think i have the right body type - it seems to go best with a sort of boyish, slim hipped physique.

I tend to think of my ideal look as the Queen at Balmoral meets Bladerunner.  In daily life that seems often to result in either a kind of Clara Oswald look (town)or a Call the Midwife look (country.)

I also like some of the really curvy 60's looks with little sweaters and pencil skirts.

I want one real, proper, suitably puffy Victorian steampunk dress. I saw one on etsy once but it was hundreds of dollars (justifiably I imagine what with all the boning).

Irene's wardrobe on the Forsyte saga is also artwork in my view.

As it is, I have a closet full of cute lawyer clothes, pencil and sheath dresses etc but I basically flannel and plaid all day everyday now. Sigh.

• Like 1

I love the clothes of the 20s and the 30s.  I actually have some posters of Tamara De Lempicka's art work and Erte's as well.  Sadly, I'm too busty for the 20s flapper look.  

I also really love Doris Day's suits and stuff in the Rock Hudson films, but they would not work on me.

Miss Fisher is a favorite.  There also used to be this series about a pair of sisters (I think) who were designers in 1920s London.  Loved all of the clothes on that, too.  (Googled...."House of Elliott".)

I want one real, proper, suitably puffy Victorian steampunk dress. I saw one on etsy once but it was hundreds of dollars (justifiably I imagine what with all the boning).

Irene's wardrobe on the Forsyte saga is also artwork in my view.

As it is, I have a closet full of cute lawyer clothes, pencil and sheath dresses etc but I basically flannel and plaid all day everyday now. Sigh.

My cute lawyer clothes have been packed away for a while...I'm in jeans and Indian tops almost every day.  Getting boring.

My poor children have a mother who sews 18th century Robe a l'Anglaise and corsets by hand for fun. Most go to my kids, but I swear one of these days they'll bring a friend home to find me surfing the web dressed in an 1880s bustle. Whatever floats your boat.

Hey you could start a business. Like Mr. Pearl in Paris ;)
  • Like 1

I was in a play once set in the 1940's.  I totally rocked the 40's look.  That was many many pounds ago, though.  

I love 40's clothing.  After my grandparents passed I cleaned out their home and she had saved all of her shoes/clothes from the 40's (when she was a young just married woman) and they were in pristine condition.  I would have loved to wear them but she was 5'10 and wore a size 9 shoe and I am 5'4 and wear a size 7 shoe.  She had handbags, jewelry everything.  Plus all the letters she and my grandfather had exchanged while he was serving during ww2 and while they were dating in rural Appalachia and neither had a car.

I'd love to dress in the clothes from the movies White Christmas or It's A Wonderful Life.

• Like 4

I want to dress like Ms. Frizzle.  :tongue_smilie:

The other day dh was saying how, as a kid, he had a huge crush on Punky Brewster. I was like, we were meant to be together, I TOTALLY dressed like that when I was a kid. Sometimes I secretly still wish I could...

I know I've just outed myself as helplessly weird and unstylish.

• Like 4

Laura, those dresses are Amazing!

I just received my first dress from her ... it's even prettier than in the picture. The workmanship is flawless, too. I have made similar dresses for myself in the past, so I thought the price was not exorbitant, considering the cost of fabric and the time it would have taken me. I can't wait to wear it! :)

ETA: I have been sewing my own 1920s-style dresses for at least 15 years -- long before Downton Abbey, the current Gatsby movies, Miss Fisher, etc. ;) -- because the aesthetic appeals to me (I also love art nouveau and art deco) and because the style fits my (lack of) figure. ;)  I am delighted that these styles are more popular now!

Edited by Laura in CA