Menu

S/O: Baby names you have heard but you definitely would not have picked

DawnM

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting: when I heard of people in the US being named 'Madison' I thought of it as a surname-transfer rather than a place-transfer. I don't really understand surname-transfer names, unless it's a family surname or you are honouring someone special to you, but I always assume that place-transfer names must mean something to the parents.  You don't get them much in the UK, except when they are exotic (Brooklyn!)

My husband's family has a tradition of giving the oldest son the mother's maiden name as a middle (every other generation). So that is what we did.  I can see, down the line, someone wanting to honor said kid using the middle instead of first as their kids' name. (though this name really does not make a good first name)  But that is one way it could happen.

I think if an English speaker has never heard the name Seamus pronounced, and doesn't know it's ethnic background or spelling, it's not that strange for them, upon hearing it spoken for the first time, to say/think, "Um, what?!"    It's a great name, but "Shame us!" might "hear" a bit odd at first. 

I don't really think of Seamus as an unusual name.  I also knew quite a few Welsh names growing up - Rhys, Bronwyn, Daffyd.  I don't feel the same way about those as I do about deliberately weird spellings, because once you have seen a few, they make sense - the rules are pretty consistant.

I really like Seamus as a name, but unfortunately I knew a person who called himself that and he ruined it as a possible baby name.

I know a few Seamus's.  I know one mom complains that people don't know how to pronounce it.

My kids have very common, somewhat traditional names (all three are names of kings, queens or princesses).  Mine is well-known but not often used in the past 100 years.  We almost used an unusual spelling for my oldest but I couldn't condemn her to a lifetime of having to spell her name out and never finding anything with her name printed on it (a real struggle when I was a kid, not so much now that you can order anything).

Weirdest I grew up with - David Davis and Edward Edwards.

I have three Kylie's in my STEM group and they all spell it differently.  Madison is extremely common around here, so is Hayley (different spellings abound).  

Their was a girl in my high school named Girlie creative :)

A friend named their son Whit Green, just looks like white green to me.

Met a family with Athena, Aries and Prometheus  I get the theme but their are lot of cute names to choose from Prometheus wouldn't not have made my list.

I know of a little girl named Rogue. Has anyone else heard of this name? I guess I'm surprised given the definition:

noun

a dishonest, knavish person; scoundrel.

a playfully mischievous person; scamp:

The youngest boys are little rogues.

a tramp or vagabond.

a rogue elephant or other animal of similar disposition.

Biology. a usually inferior organism, especially a plant, varyingmarkedly from the normal.

verb (used without object), rogued, roguing.

to live or act as a rogue.

verb (used with object), rogued, roguing.

to cheat.

to uproot or destroy (plants, etc., that do not conform to a desiredstandard).

My friend almost did not buy her car because the model is called a Rogue! She told me she argued with the sales guy about why she would want to buy a car named after negative qualities. :D he tried to say, "Wait! it's not 'rogue'! It's 'Roo-Goo-Ee'! Can you buy the car if it's a Roogooee?" ;)

• Like 1

I know of a little girl named Rogue. Has anyone else heard of this name? I guess I'm surprised given the definition:

noun

a dishonest, knavish person; scoundrel.

a playfully mischievous person; scamp:

The youngest boys are little rogues.

a tramp or vagabond.

a rogue elephant or other animal of similar disposition.

Biology. a usually inferior organism, especially a plant, varyingmarkedly from the normal.

verb (used without object), rogued, roguing.

to live or act as a rogue.

verb (used with object), rogued, roguing.

to cheat.

to uproot or destroy (plants, etc., that do not conform to a desiredstandard).

The second noun definition isn't too bad: playfully mischievous. In certain families and cultures, this could be an appreciated characteristic.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who thinks names like Rogue & Tyranny aren't affected by their definitions.  I think they're awesome names.  Like Danger, but more classy (or would it be klassy?).  Seriously.  I wish DH had been on board.

Certainly not 'classy' with a 'c', but possibly with a 'k'. I could get on board with Rogue, but not Tyranny. I'm not an expert on klassy names names though.

This might offend some people but I hate misspelled names. I say this as the proud owner of a misspelled name. :glare:  Your daughter's name isn't more unique because you spelled it Emmalee.

Sometimes the spelling is meaningful.  My niece's name is Emma-Lee.  Her mom's name is Lee-Ann.  

I don't really think of Seamus as an unusual name.  I also knew quite a few Welsh names growing up - Rhys, Bronwyn, Daffyd.  I don't feel the same way about those as I do about deliberately weird spellings, because once you have seen a few, they make sense - the rules are pretty consistant.

I really like Seamus as a name, but unfortunately I knew a person who called himself that and he ruined it as a possible baby name.

I don't think of it as unusual, either.  I've heard of a lot of Seamus's around here.

I've come across some unusual names, but not in the "OMG, what we they THINKING?!?" kind of way. Some I feel are actually quite lovely:

Apple

Bethlehem ("Beth")

Sabre

Incidentally, these are all girls' names.

Cue The Office Sabre song where they THOUGHT the company was pronounced sah-bray and not Sabre :-)

I grew up with a girl named Nadia but pronounced Nay-duh. Her parents really had no idea how to pronounce her name.

Yes, I know it is an Irish name, but we aren't in the British Isles.

lots of irish heritage here in America.

Also a lot of Irish-lovers.  I know two families that delved into Irish names for their children. No idea if they have irish in their actual blood or not. And other children with obvious Irish names. (I wonder how many more that just aren't obvious?)

Just thought of two more...My granddad's name was Athol.  He was born and raised in rural Alabama and Mississippi. I have always thought it a strange name for this area. Doing our family tree, I found a great aunt named Easter. Oh and Meridy is also a family names generations removed. I actually like Meridy.

Yes, I know it is an Irish name, but we aren't in the British Isles.

Yes, we're in America - so what kind of names are we supposed to use?  You're saying we should avoid naming our kids British names because we're not in the British Isles - so names like John, Mary and Elizabeth are also out?  Righty-o.  Are you saying we should stick to Native American names?  Or maybe come up with our own uniquely 'Murican names.  Which brings us right back to crazy misspelled weirdness and made up stuff, 'cause I think that's pretty much an American thing...

• Like 1

Just thought of two more...My granddad's name was Athol.  He was born and raised in rural Alabama and Mississippi. I have always thought it a strange name for this area. Doing our family tree, I found a great aunt named Easter. Oh and Meridy is also a family names generations removed. I actually like Meridy.

One of my grandfathers was Orme, pronounced OR-mee.  I have no idea where that came from.

ds and I were playing Mad Libs and decided that the plural of "Baby Agnes" must be "Baby Agni" ;)

we have an old family name that is an alcoholic beverage. I loved the last family member who got saddled with it and thought it could be reasonably shortened to a common nickname (similar to "Annie", "Emmy", or "Abby") but my relative, who always hated her name, made me promise not to.

Seamus was one my short list too. I never heard it as "Shame us". Siobhan is beautiful but I opted for a phonically simple and easy to spell name for the caboose baby after having a kid change/shorten his/her name when s/he still couldn't spell it at age 12.

I just looked it up and saw she has a 17-year-old sister named Thumbellina!

I would have guessed that Twinke Twinky had a 15 year old mother.  The fact that she's got at least one parent who has been old enough to procreate for 17 years makes this name even more horrifying.

• Like 2

If we're looking back in time, I have a string of ancestors named Badgood.  I think that's a sure way to mess your kid up.  I also have a great Aunt named Valeria, which is not bad, but she went by the nickname of "Wee Wee", which I think is unfortunate.

On the other hand, I have a number of ancestors and a living aunt named "Thankful", which I kind of like.

My grandmother has a very bizarre past and aways grew up thinking her name was Sally. That's what she was called up until school. Then, somehow, it got changed to Eyvonne. (E-vonne) 
But, apparently, on her original birth certificate, her name was Quinney. (Quinn-E)

Part of me wants to name my next girl that, but I don't know if I'm bold enough. 

• Like 1

I also have a great Aunt named Valeria, which is not bad, but she went by the nickname of "Wee Wee", which I think is unfortunate.

I know someone who calls their DD Kiki as a nickname.... when I was really little that's what we called poop. There's just no way I could call a child that.  :huh:  But that's just me!

My ds, LOL

I forgot- kids that my kids were on teams or in school with through the years

Rigel Agamemnon

Zen ( boy)

Whisper and Treasure (sisters)

Meadow, Timber, Forrest and Oshion- sibs

I have a Rigel Almon.  (The Almon part is a family name; Rigel was just because I like the star and the sound of the word.  The pediatrician's office always tries to pronounce it "wriggle" though.  :-)  )

My great-great-great-great-or so grandfather who first came to Canada was named Cassimier.  I really wanted to name our last kid that but dh wouldn't let me, so that's his middle name instead of his first name.  I also have a great uncle named Cecil and I wanted to name last kid that, too, but dh also vetoed it.