Menu

Seeking advice on allergy policy at co-op

Peplophoros

So our co-op offers a cooking class (kids make and eat their creations), and on the first day a student tells the teacher he has a peanut allergy, which his mother didn't inform us of, despite there being a clear allergy notification section on registration. 

The mom says that due to desensitization treatments he's received, he can now eat up to 3 peanuts a day with no reaction.  In my opinion, this is still a serious food allergy and we cannot be held responsible for keeping the student safe.

Do we:

a) let him take the class and instruct all cooking teachers not to include peanuts in their recipes

b) say no, students with severe allergies cannot take cooking classes, since our teachers are not trained professionals, and there is no professional oversight of what goes on in the kitchen, so the co-op can't assume this risk.

Obviously I favor option b, but am interested in hearing what other co-op people and parents of students with allergies think.  I think it was unreasonable for the mother to not tell us about a serious food allergy and then sign him up for a class where he eats (the boy is around 8 or 9 years).  His mother thinks he's safe.  Is that good enough?

Please, enlighten me!

I think you would be safe in choosing option A, if you avoid recipes with peanuts, which shouldn't be that hard.  If a kid can eat 3 peanuts, he should be safe from trace amounts in other food products.  Of course, he should always carry an Epi-pen with him.

I have a son with a tree nut allergy, although he seems to tolerate any trace amounts that may be in foods, much like the child you described.  I would not hesitate to put him in a food prep class.  He's a few years older, but he's been very aware of what he eats from a young age.  

I agree, though, that the mom should have told you in advance.

• Like 7

I may be in the minority, but I would choose B.  Because of his age, most of all.  If this were a high school student, I would probably choose A.  

Do you know if  the mom not see the allergy disclosure on the registration form, or did she omit it on purpose?  Not that it makes a difference at this point.  

• Like 7

Yes, we have an allergy disclosure section on the registration form.  Shockingly, she intentionally left it blank (because, as she later explained, most people don't know about desensitization treatments...but in my book, if he can't have more than 3 peanuts, isn't that still a serious allergy?)

• Like 4

I'd be more blunt in this situation than I would if a student had pre-disclosed their allergy.

1. Student must carry an epi-pen to every class

2. Teachers are not responsible for altering their class plans or notifying the student of possible contamination. They will post their recipes ahead of time, and the parent/student can make a decision about whether to attend class.

3. Parent must fill out the allergy form in detail

4. Parent must sign a waiver for this class, releasing the teachers, co-op, and building owner from all liability. (I'd include the words "Student has a known allergy" and "Parent is responsible for reviewing all recipes prior to class" in the waiver)

• Like 20

If the mom thinks he is safe, then I wouldn't worry about it. 

I have no experience with food allergies, but I do have a son with Type 1 diabetes. He can eat anything your child can, but many people do not understand that. Many times at events where there was a group snack he was left out or given crackers because someone decided that they knew better than me. 

• Like 2

Mom is nearby, he's had desensitization, he can have 3 peanuts a day so he should be safe from trace amounts. I would just let the teacher know he has an allergy and to avoid using peanuts or peanut butter in the recipe. Especially since mom says he's fine.

I have anaphylactic reactions to seafood which have resulted in week long hospital stays. It is a severe allergy, but it really annoys me when people want to tell me what is safe and what isn't. I expect the mom feels the same way. Trust her that she knows best how to manage his allergy, and don't bar him from the class.

• Like 24

I pretty much agree with what Plink wrote, although I do understand option b.

I completely agree she should have disclosed and informed that he would self-carry. We always disclose the information and because a patient cannot always self-administer,my child is always near someone who is trained. I rarely eat alone, too, because I couldn't self-administer. Reactions can go downhill so quickly.

But, they sound like they are in an extremely unusual situation. To have an "ordinary" food allergy is hard enough (some people think we've made it up for attention or that we just have a strong dislike for a food), but to be in a desensitization program is even more difficult. It's already hard for people to understand that food allergic people need rescue meds and sometimes extreme precautions; now they also have to explain, somehow, that yes, he is still allergic, still needs to carry, but can tolerate greater exposure than most peanut allergic people. I'm not excusing her, just trying to see her POV. I know it can be difficult dealing with allergic people, but remember they are often under a lot of stress.

Again, I do not agree about leaving the form blank. And I wouldn't be comfortable with my kid in a food prep class without me or someone trained in the room. However, that is sort of the point of the desensitization, from what I understand (we aren't able to do one but one reason to try is exactly for classes like this!). I would draw up forms and try to make it work if possible.

And I understand choosing B but I am not sure that it would change my response if he were high school age. High school and college can be such a risky time for food allergic people.

http://allergicliving.com/2010/07/02/food-allergy-teens-the-danger-years/

http://www.foodallergy.org/resources/teens

• Like 1

I would have a very hard time with it because she did not truthfully disclose his allergy in the paperwork, which makes me very uncomfortable, and the child is only 7 years old.

I recently went through something similar, and we had to consult a lawyer. If your registration form is a legal document, please note that the parent broke the law (at least here in WA) by stating an "affirmative lie" - by leaving the allergy section blank, she lied by omission. He is still allergic to larger amounts of peanuts. Check your insurance coverage! Both for the co-op and for the teacher personally. Now she knows about the allergy, so she could be personally liable if anything goes wrong and she does not handle it correctly.

I do not think it is fair to the teacher for the family to place the burden of planning and responding for what could be a terrible allergic reaction on the teacher. The equivalence of 3 peanuts is not a lot. I appreciate that the child has had desensitization therapy - but the parent should have disclosed that, along with what symptoms to look for and how to respond if a reaction starts. 

If the parent had filled out the forms thoroughly and had had a direct and transparent conversation with the teacher - I could go along with that. But the parent did not tell the teacher *anything* until the child disclosed. 

And despite everything I wrote above - my heart is with the child. I want him to be safe. 

• Like 18

Ours is peanut free, always, even if there isn't someone with a documented peanut allergy that given year. I would think it would be easy to avoid peanuts in a cooking class, making it possible to include the child. Should his mom have included the info? Yes. Does that mean exclude the child? Not in my book but I tend to strongly emphasize doing whatever is necessary to include a child, if at all possible. If the child had several food allergies, that would be much harder to work with in a cooking class, but that is not the situation in your case.

• Like 6

Option A. Mom is close by. Epi pen should be available. I might even go with a C-if a teacher really wants to use peanuts or finds it a hardship not to (which I think would be silly), then let him cook it and make sure his mother knows that he is responsible for not eating if they do use peanuts. I would be more comfortable with A, and since he is desensitized it shouldn't be a problem if something has a slight contamination.

Let's face it, a kid could have an allergic reaction to anything at any time. Since he is under medical care, it is probably less likely to be a problem than for dcX who might be in the class, and he has the materials to be able to start treatment immediately if necessary.

• Like 2

My son has a peanut allergy.  No way I would sign him up for a food class!!!  My son had a food challenge test this year and did okay, but had a delayed reaction.  We were unable to keep up with the desensitization process and he's back to no peanuts.  I think the co-op should say no.  If she wants to control his 3 peanut intake a day great for her.  But it's not fair to the co-op teacher to worry about if the recipe has more than 3 peanuts worth of stuff.  If you allow him in, I would require her to sign some liability statement and make her be present in the room with benedryl and epi-pen.  

As a mom of a peanut allergy kid I am shocked at her loose concern about him being in a food class.  Just say no.  This has so much potential to go downhill quickly.  I would not be offended by a co-op saying no food allergy kids in food classes.  It's just plain smart!

• Like 14

Yes, this was my reaction exactly.

I would have a very hard time with it because she did not truthfully disclose his allergy in the paperwork, which makes me very uncomfortable, and the child is only 7 years old.

I recently went through something similar, and we had to consult a lawyer. If your registration form is a legal document, please note that the parent broke the law (at least here in WA) by stating an "affirmative lie" - by leaving the allergy section blank, she lied by omission. He is still allergic to larger amounts of peanuts. Check your insurance coverage! Both for the co-op and for the teacher personally. Now she knows about the allergy, so she could be personally liable if anything goes wrong and she does not handle it correctly.

I do not think it is fair to the teacher for the family to place the burden of planning and responding for what could be a terrible allergic reaction on the teacher. The equivalence of 3 peanuts is not a lot. I appreciate that the child has had desensitization therapy - but the parent should have disclosed that, along with what symptoms to look for and how to respond if a reaction starts. 

If the parent had filled out the forms thoroughly and had had a direct and transparent conversation with the teacher - I could go along with that. But the parent did not tell the teacher *anything* until the child disclosed. 

And despite everything I wrote above - my heart is with the child. I want him to be safe. 

My son has a peanut allergy. No way I would sign him up for a food class!!! My son had a food challenge test this year and did okay, but had a delayed reaction. We were unable to keep up with the desensitization process and he's back to no peanuts. I think the co-op should say no. If she wants to control his 3 peanut intake a day great for her. But it's not fair to the co-op teacher to worry about if the recipe has more than 3 peanuts worth of stuff. If you allow him in, I would require her to sign some liability statement and make her be present in the room with benedryl and epi-pen.

As a mom of a peanut allergy kid I am shocked at her loose concern about him being in a food class. Just say no. This has so much potential to go downhill quickly. I would not be offended by a co-op saying no food allergy kids in food classes. It's just plain smart!

I wouldn't bar allergy kids entirely, but I would require a guardian to be in class. I'd give the lesson plans and tell the parent what was included in the price. If parent wants to provide her own safe materials and ingredients, she may.

This mom actively lied on the form and dropped a huge bomb in the teacher's lap on the first day of class. Not cool.

• Like 3

I would be beyond livid that a family did not disclose allergy information for a cooking class!  Teachers put in a lot of time up-front to plan co-op classes, knowing that once the class series begins there may be little time for thoughtful reflection on the curriculum as a whole and how it all fits together - at that point it's often "work the plan" rather than "plan the work".   It's all kinds of little things that people who haven't taught may not even consider - for example, this class presumably has a budget, and the teacher may have carefully planned her food purchases with the full run of the class in mind.  She could have, for example, planned a peanut ingredient for the first class, and bought a larger (and cheaper per serving) quantity with an eye towards another peanut dish later in the series of classes, in which case she'd have to re-work her curriculum and her budget (and take time from her family to do so).  The family's action was thoughtless and inconsiderate, and could have risked their child's life.

I've been in the position of handling a medical emergency during a food-based class.  It's terrifying, and seconds count.  In my case, the teacher didn't have the training to handle the event, and an inexperienced, marginally-trained-if-that parent (me) had to step in.  Even if trained and knowledgeable help is somewhere in the building, it takes time to access it.    

It's great that the 7-year-old is a good advocate for his own needs, but that's not a replacement for the adults who are caring for him to have the information necessary to create an emergency plan.   

(Example - where is the epi-pen kept?  Does mom have it?  Is it in the child's backpack?  Are backpacks kept in the room or in a coat closet/hallway/locker?  Who else likely to be there is trained to use one?  What is the plan to contact mom if there is an emergency?  Would a child be sent to get her?  Who will call 911?  On what phone?  What is the response time for local 911 service?  And so on...)

• Like 9

I didn't read all the responses but when I taught a nature study class last year and we did wild edibles, I gave the option for nut allergy folks to not participate and/or leave the room when we broke out the nut containing items.  It was not an option to not do nuts due to the nature of the class.

Honestly I think it was her responsibility to disclose the allergy ahead. The teachers should not have to plan around it once the year starts. If she had been responsible and told you they could have planned ahead. But her lack of forthrightness should not mean inconvenience for your teachers. That's just my opinion. I would say--if they are doing nuts that week, your son can sit in your class with you, but we cannot be responsible for his allergy. 

Agree with the others about just because he can eat four peanuts doesn't mean it is "safe" for him to be handling peanut butter cookies, etc. 

• Like 2

I would want an adult who is epi-pen trained in the room just in case. My kids had classmates with nut allergy. The teachers are trained to use the epi-pen. Reaction time counts unfortunately and it takes time to get the mother in your scenario.

My kids classrooms are nut free areas but one classmate is gluten allergic so I can't offer him food.

--Not everyone knows how to use an epi pen.  If you go with inclusion, there needs to be one there, and there needs to be someone who can drive him to the ER AFTER the epi is administered and/or cover for his mom while she does this, and there needs to be instruction on how to use the epi pen properly.  An emergency with someone's throat closing is no time to have to read and figure out a bunch of instructions.

--I would have a HUGE problem with being lied to on the form.  If I were the teacher and this information was left out and not proactively given to me in advance of the class, I would have a very hard time working with this family at all.  Lying is a real hot button issue for me, and lying in a way that endangers your own kid would be a nonstarter.

--I think the mom is totally kidding herself that this kid can be in a cooking class safely at age 7.  Peanut allergies are not just from active ingestion.  If someone else in the class has had peanut butter in their breakfast, they can get trace amounts onto bookshelves, counters, or other surfaces without it being visible, and a sensitive child can be triggered that way.  

My DD had a classmate with peanut allergies, and his mother would clean every surface in the classroom with bleach wipes before every class.  She asked us not to send any peanut containing food to class, and not to include it in breakfast beforehand.  She was not paranoid; this was based on experiences (near death ones) that her son had had in other situations beforehand.  Desensitization has not been around for long enough to really know how well and how lastingly it works.  This is a stupid risk to take.  Surely there are other classes he could take?  I get that she wants him to be normal, but she needs to protect him also.

• Like 8

My son has a peanut allergy.  No way I would sign him up for a food class!!!  My son had a food challenge test this year and did okay, but had a delayed reaction.  We were unable to keep up with the desensitization process and he's back to no peanuts.  I think the co-op should say no.  If she wants to control his 3 peanut intake a day great for her.  But it's not fair to the co-op teacher to worry about if the recipe has more than 3 peanuts worth of stuff.  If you allow him in, I would require her to sign some liability statement and make her be present in the room with benedryl and epi-pen.  

As a mom of a peanut allergy kid I am shocked at her loose concern about him being in a food class.  Just say no.  This has so much potential to go downhill quickly.  I would not be offended by a co-op saying no food allergy kids in food classes.  It's just plain smart!

I don't have a peanut allergy, but I have other severe food allergies and I agree with Tess. I would never, ever take a cooking class and I am an adult! If someone cut a mango, then shook my hand, I'd be in for an extremely unpleasant rest of the day, probably at a hospital.

It's just so risky! It's not like an algebra class where someone MAY have brought a peanut butter sammie for lunch. The whole class is food.

If you're going to let him (and all other allergy kids from here on out!) take the class, I'd take every precaution listed above. Make her full out the allergy form in detail, informing her she is possibly in breech of the law for leaving it blank, have her or another guadrian be *in* the room with him, make sure he has an epi pen and knows how to use it...

I have a food allergy child (anaphylactic to dairy, eggs, peanuts and tree nuts).  I would never ever ever in a trillion years put him in a cooking class like that.   He opted to not take a life skills class at our co-op because it contained food activities once in awhile.  My younger son is taking the class, he has no known allergies.

As for what you should do...that's tough.  Mom doesn't seem to care, she didn't even list the allergy.  I can't even IMAGINE that mindset.  My son's safety is #1 priority.  I would talk to mom and let her make the call.  But I would try to avoid blatant peanut products in cooking.  I would also have her sign something saying she understands that you can't guarantee his safety.   I just still can't fathom her behavior with this and I really hope her non chalant attitude about his allergy doesn't cost them all dearly some day.

I find it very disturbing that the parent lied on the paperwork by not disclosing the allergy in the allergy section.  Sorry, but that's crazy.  Why else is that section on the paperwork?  It's not to make chit chat.  It's an important piece of information everyone needs to know about.  These kinds of parents are a nightmare to deal with. 

B is the only sensible option because the mother has a history of not quite being able to disclose what everyone needs to know.  The liability is a very big deal with serious consequences.

This, newbies and people who complain there aren't enough co-ops to choose from, is yet another example of why people stop volunteering to start and run co-ops on other groups for homeschoolers.  

• Like 11

I may be in the minority, but I would choose B. Because of his age, most of all. If this were a high school student, I would probably choose A.

Do you know if the mom not see the allergy disclosure on the registration form, or did she omit it on purpose? Not that it makes a difference at this point.

The recipe may be nut-free, but is it a nut-free kitchen? Do you know how it is used when your students are not there? Cross contamination would be my worry (said as a parent of a nut allergic kid).

• Like 2

I find it very disturbing that the parent lied on the paperwork by not disclosing the allergy in the allergy section.  Sorry, but that's crazy.  Why else is that section on the paperwork?  It's not to make chit chat.  It's an important piece of information everyone needs to know about.  These kinds of parents are a nightmare to deal with. 

B is the only sensible option because the mother has a history of not quite being able to disclose what everyone needs to know.  The liability is a very big deal with serious consequences.

This, newbies and people who complain there aren't enough co-ops to choose from, is yet another example of why people stop volunteering to start and run co-ops on other groups for homeschoolers.  

:iagree:

I am winding up my volunteering days due to the incident I dealt with last summer, and I won't extend myself again. It's not worth the psychological toll it took dealing with lawyers and parents - and I won.

• Like 6

Yes, we have an allergy disclosure section on the registration form. Shockingly, she intentionally left it blank (because, as she later explained, most people don't know about desensitization treatments...but in my book, if he can't have more than 3 peanuts, isn't that still a serious allergy?)

Yes. It appears that she deliberately misled you. I might ask for a written doctor's note for clearance. That would at least help you liability-wise (sad for that to be the least of the worries, aye?).

• Like 3

No waiver would protect the teacher or co-op if something went wrong. It's more of a "please don't sue us" thing. In this case I would say excluding the allergy on the application was the biggest problem. If I felt compelled to include him it would be with her present in the class with him. It's not fair to the teacher to say "oh he's good with 3 peanuts." and expect her to know what that means.

I would willingly take the child in a math class with his epi-pen...but a cooking class? Um, no.

• Like 6

Do we:

a) let him take the class and instruct all cooking teachers not to include peanuts in their recipes

b) say no, students with severe allergies cannot take cooking classes, since our teachers are not trained professionals, and there is no professional oversight of what goes on in the kitchen, so the co-op can't assume this risk.

I don't really like either of these options.  The problem is not allergic kids in general, the problem is that this particular child's family showed flagrant disregard for co-op rules designed to protect kids like theirs from life-threatening situations (and to protect teachers from liability).  I would hesitate to make any statements of policy that you wouldn't want to apply to more responsible families.  It's a dilemma; I don't have any brilliant ideas.  

• Like 6

Seven is too young to be safe in this instance.

The intentional leaving of the allergy notification portion of the form blank would be a NO GO for me. If she wasn't willing to be honest about it upfront, then I would have to wonder what else she isn't disclosing.

A high school age student would be an entirely different matter.

• Like 7

I agree with all that and I wouldn't think you were unsympathetic at all. We've always said our allergies are ours to deal with. I don't expect restaurants to handle them. It's always a treat if they can, but it's not practical in a lot of situations. I'm thrilled if a friend or teacher wants to learn emergency protocols, I don't expect anyone to do it.

• Like 1

I'm thinking back to middle school exploratory arts Home Ec-3 weeks of cooking and 3 weeks of sewing. The lesson plan called for Snickerdoodles. The instructor changed to to sugar cookies for the entire grading period that I was in the class for all sections because she didn't want to risk cross-contamination (I have a LTFA to cinnamon and pine nuts). The 1980s were much less allergy aware-but she didn't want to take that risk knowing that she had a student who could end up in the hospital by accidentally eating a cookie that had touched one with cinnamon topping.

Food allergies are nothing to fool around with. This mom is playing with fire, and I wouldn't want to teach her son in a cooking class knowing that she is.

• Like 2

Seven is too young to be safe in this instance.

The intentional leaving of the allergy notification portion of the form blank would be a NO GO for me. If she wasn't willing to be honest about it upfront, then I would have to wonder what else she isn't disclosing.

A high school age student would be an entirely different matter.

This was pretty much what I was thinking too.

My take: mom, in conjunction with his allergist presumably, does not feel he has a life threatening peanut allergy. I know a child with a peanut allergy who eats all kinds of things my son would stay away from. He throws up if he gets peanut. Death isn't on the table for him like it is my son. So we're all assuming he was, and still is, anaphylactic. He might not be.

She feels he can handle any trace contamination (and that would include anything from touching a contaminated surface and putting his hands in his mouth/eyes/nose). She didn't disclose because she does not think he needs any protection.

I wouldn't put my food allergic child in a cooking class. But I have had experiences when people decide they know better than me for my food kid. That feels, and is in most circumstances, frustrating.

If he's desensitized to 3 peanuts, he should be safe as long as peanut isn't on the menu directly.

• Like 10

I just noticed that part in option A about not having the teacher use peanuts. It's unfair to the instructor. And as a parent of an allergic child it was a lot to learn when it came to label-reading. I don't trust anyone other than my parents to read labels for my kid. So thinking about it more, my choice would be B if I had to choose between the two.

A parent should be able to provide documentation about the allergy. Allergies to peanuts (and other foods) can vary so much. A person can be quite allergic to peanuts but only sensitized to a protein that puts them at a low risk of a reaction. Often the person can tolerate baked goods for some allergens but have a terrible reaction to it raw that goes beyond oral allergy syndrome.

I understand without agreeing why she may have not disclosed because of his treatment program.If he's doing a particular protocol, I can see why she felt he'd be ok in that class. I have never even considered a cooking class for my kid and we haven't been able to do desensitization. But I do know it's hard to communicate that the child is still allergic and yet able to tolerate measured amounts. The reason people go through these programs is to reduce the risk of severe reactions and to be able to participate in these classes

Yes, it should have been disclosed and discussed but *had she done so* I'm not sure I would say it is as crazy for him to be in that class as it would be for my allergic kid if her doctor cleared them for this sort of class.

So, with regard to just this parent, I can see making a decision based on her disregard alone, though I think it sounds more like retaliation than trying to work it out. Not that she did the right thing, but I guess I'm hoping both can learn and do better.

With regard to future classes and other families -- I don't know. I can see saying "we cannot accommodate food allergies" for all classes or something. But -- and hopefully not -- what if someone else has allergies and doesn't disclose?

Like someone said, often allergic people do make strange decisions (I know a parent that kept letting her kid get exposed to peanuts after numerous reactions! Argh!) but I know some of my choices probably look odd. With my kid, there is always someone trained to administer nearby. We are strict avoidance, strict label reading people for this kid. Always erring on the side of caution.

Neither of us eat alone. However, after having my anaphylactic reactions at home and with food I had prepared (because it was before those particular, rare allergies had been diagnosed; I only knew I was allergic to nuts) I became a lot more focused on emergency protocols for myself. It's not that I don't practice avoidance and label reading for myself -- it's just that I can only do so much on that end (due to my individual allergic profile) and some of my choices for myself may seem to relaxed. We live on a "when, not if" basis. So we are always going over what to do, how to treat.

Anyway, I know this link is geared towards schools and it is Canadian -- probably not helpful, but in case anyone wants resources for educators: http://foodallergycanada.ca/resources/resources-for-educators/

I have a daughter who has graduated from Peanut OIT (desensitization) and I would pick option A.  

She was wrong for not mentioning his allergy but he is cross-contamination/made in a factory safe at this point and should have no issues with being around (touching, smelling) peanuts.  He cannot eat eat "extra" peanuts (as either his protocol stops at three peanuts or he hasn't finished the other protocol (for free eating peanuts)), but as long as he knows that peanuts are not in HIS food he is safe. For any recipes with peanuts, he is safe to prepare the foods, he cannot eat the recipe though.

Yes, he should have his Epi at all times anyways and it is even better to have his mom in the building as he does, but under the situation you describe you and he are in no danger whatsoever.

• Like 5

I have taught dozens of cooking classes.

IMO, leaving peanuts out of the recipes is not unfair to the instructor.

Hmm, I strongly disagreed at first but I'm curious as to your reasons. This thread has given me a lot to re-think. And I think it is wonderful that you can leave peanuts out for people. :) So many people really get ugly about the idea of no peanuts in certain situations.

My thinking is that even if the teacher agrees (and I thought it was a lot to ask *after* the class began) and leaves peanuts out, it doesn't eliminate the risk of CC or misreading a label. Or what if the teacher thinks that if one product from a company is peanut-free, then they all are. So I don't think I'd put much stock into the "peanut-free" idea if our kid's worst allergy was to peanut. I mean, if *I* planned and taught a peanut-free class, I'd be all set. I live this, I know what to look for and how to cook. I'd make sure the kitchen was free of residue if we were at another facility. Maybe I'm overdoing it by not trusting a peanut-free cooking class? It would be a different thing if I knew the instructor had a peanut allergy, of course.

. Maybe I'm overdoing it by not trusting a peanut-free cooking class? It would be a different thing if I knew the instructor had a peanut allergy, of course.

This exactly.  I can't trust that our cooking teacher, who is not a trained professional, can keep him safe, period.  What if she made a mistake?   What if she's a total idiot or is just lazy (she's not, but still)?

The boy's mom tells me that he won't accidentally consume more than 3 peanuts, but how do I know that?  How does she know that?  How can I possibly expose our whole organization to legal liability based on what she "knows" won't happen?  

• Like 8

When my daughter got to three peanuts, I was told I could bring back peanut butter and peanut containing things back into the house safely.  We enthusiastically did!  I didn't have to worry about using disposable knives to make PB sandwiches.  Even if the knife wasn't scrupulously clean and she used it afterward, it was "safe" for her due to OIT (desensitization).

• Like 4

Perhaps not, generally speaking.  However, it is incredibly thoughtless to wait until during the first class to mention the problem, instead of providing this information at registration when it was explicitly requested.  And it is thoughtless to have the child be the first one to mention it, putting the teacher on the spot in terms of her response to the child and her preparation for the lesson.  

Children in this situation of course need to learn self-advocacy, but it is wise for moms of kids this young to give a quiet heads-up to the teacher ahead of time - ideally on the form where the information was requested.

For me, the issue here would not so much be the accommodation of the allergy, which I think could be worked out in many cases, but the mom's disregard for the (volunteer?) leadership of the co-op, especially the teacher of the class.   

• Like 9

This exactly.  I can't trust that our cooking teacher, who is not a trained professional, can keep him safe, period.  What if she made a mistake?   What if she's a total idiot or is just lazy (she's not, but still)?

The boy's mom tells me that he won't accidentally consume more than 3 peanuts, but how do I know that?  How does she know that?  How can I possibly expose our whole organization to legal liability based on what she "knows" won't happen?  

Your teacher would make sure anything she used did not CONTAIN peanuts.  "Made in a factory with" or "May be contaminated with" are fine for this child.  This child can go EAT in restaurants or ice cream shops or bakeries; even ones that serve peanuts!  The child has to avoid eating peanut aside from the daily dose(s).  Really, this kid could eat additional peanut (a little, not a Snickers bar!!) over the dose and will actually have to to graduate from their OIT program (graduation is usually at least 24 peanuts at one sitting!!!); they're just being extra safe at this time.

This kid is way safer than they ever have been previous to the desensitization process.  Don't over think this.  If it makes you feel better, ask to speak to their MD.

• Like 5

This exactly. I can't trust that our cooking teacher, who is not a trained professional, can keep him safe, period. What if she made a mistake? What if she's a total idiot or is just lazy (she's not, but still)?

The boy's mom tells me that he won't accidentally consume more than 3 peanuts, but how do I know that? How does she know that? How can I possibly expose our whole organization to legal liability based on what she "knows" won't happen?

If the recipes don't contain peanuts or peanut butter then there shouldn't be more than a trace of peanuts in the cooking class.
  • Like 2

Mom is nearby, he's had desensitization, he can have 3 peanuts a day so he should be safe from trace amounts. I would just let the teacher know he has an allergy and to avoid using peanuts or peanut butter in the recipe. Especially since mom says he's fine.

I have anaphylactic reactions to seafood which have resulted in week long hospital stays. It is a severe allergy, but it really annoys me when people want to tell me what is safe and what isn't. I expect the mom feels the same way. Trust her that she knows best how to manage his allergy, and don't bar him from the class.

I have a peanut allergy kid and he (thankfully!!) is not severe.  If he has a tiny bite of something with peanut or has trace amounts he is okay.  He shouldn't do it intentionally of course, but it likely won't land him in the ER. (And, yes, I know it can get worse over time.)  

I would be irked that mom didn't disclose originally and even more concerned about the young age, however it is *not* a hardship to sub for peanuts or peanut butter, especially in the peanut allergy aware age whence we live.  If one *must* make a peanut recipe, one can substitute with almond butter or sunbutter.  But really, it is not a hardship.  There are plenty of non-nut recipes out there!!  And, no, I am not one of those my-child-is-a-special-snowflake kind of parent, so save the tomatoes.

• Like 5

Only, you don't have to worry about cross contamination.

Speaking as an allergy mother, the safely consuming 3 peanuts means that you do not eat products that contain peanuts. This is the point where you stop having to worry about them touching things or eating products that are certified as being from a factory with no peanut cross contamination possible. You get to live a fairly normal life where you can let your guard down. You just don't eat things with peanuts in them. If you do take a bite and realize it has peanuts, you stop eating it, but you don't have to rush to the eR.

As to why she left the form blank, I think this post shows why. She knew if she had written it in her son would have automatically been eliminated from the class. She probably wanted to be able to speak to you and explain the situation in a manner not possible on the form. She did not hide his allergy, she waited until she could further explain. She DID let you know about his allergy. It just isn't something that fits into your form well.

• Like 9

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

• Like 1

Well, in general I agree that the cooking teacher should not have to think about that. I wouldn't even ask because I do not want anyone but me or someone with the same allergy, same or greater risk of reactions, doing my child's food prep. Maybe that's overprotective. 

As to how does she know he will be ok -- if, and I don't blame you if not -- you decide to get documentation to make this work, she may be able to get information from her doctor to put you at ease. From what I understand this treatment he may have undergone is new (and exciting for many allergic people) and just explaining regular allergies, no treatment, is hard enough. Wrong as it may have been she may have been trying to avoid a confusing conversation. 

So, he sounds like he was lucky enough to be in a good desensitization program and if that's the case, he is constantly being monitored and the family is likely in close contact with their allergist. Not at all excusing the omission or saying you can be less worried on the legal side, btw. I'm only replying to why she would think he will be ok. I'd like to think she has heard this from her doctor, and that she didn't just decide on her own.

So I get wanting to do option B. But a policy for all kids, not just hers should be in place and if we could do something like OIT I would be hoping we could take part in classes like that if we got clearance from our doctor. (Notifying well in advance, and not after the class begins, of course!) So that's why I keep going back to the idea of trying to work it out somehow. I'm sorry she put this on you though.

Also, if you come across other allergic children in the future and decide to accommodate, some kids with peanut allergies are only allergic to a certain protein and do not require the strict precautions that high-risk patients need. I know it is confusing. And I know this hasn't done anything to help trust parents but most want what is safest for our kids. Here we are at the extreme, erring on the side of caution. There are families that have testing and medical evaluations to show they don't need the same precautions as us.

The allergies are real, but there are many components to a food that we can be allergic to and not everyone reacts the same. This is a link about one test that can be used and it has a dry but short explanation on testing for the risk and types of reactions.

http://www.questdiagnostics.com/testcenter/TestDetail.action?ntc=91681

• Like 1