Menu

Seeking advice on allergy policy at co-op

Peplophoros

But the issue isn't just providing nut free recipes. To say it is nut free requires her to also purchase nut free products. I haven't found chocolate chips easy to come by that aren't cross contaminated with nuts. I buy the Enjoy Life Brand which is EXPENSIVE, especially since it's harder to find the 5 lb. bag anymore. Why should she have to purchase more expensive products and charge the rest of the class more to ensure it is nut free? As a society we are letting situations force change on everyone when in reality, if mom wants her son to cook, teach at home where it is safe. Let her buy the expensive ingredients he can eat. And teach him how to cook for his allergies. It would be more beneficial than expecting the teacher to change her plans. If I go to any cooking class in my area they post if it is gluten free/dairy free/nut free or if all allergens will be present. If I sign my kid up for a class with nuts I am taking a huge risk. And I wouldn't expect the company to change their class just b/c I want to take it. I still think the mom is wrong and the co-op needs to say no food allergy kids can participate due to liability issues. The teacher should have ultimate say.

I would never sign my kid up for a food centered class. Not unless I was teaching or I could be present, supply ingredients, and clean the kitchen, and probably some other things. I don't ask much for accommodation either. And yes going nut free doesn't help everyone anyway nor is it going to be trusted. I prefer allergy friendly not allergen free.

But my kid has not been through whatever treatment that this boy is going through. Unless I misunderstood it is the director not the mother asking for the class to suddenly be peanut free.

• Like 3

I don't really like either of these options.  The problem is not allergic kids in general, the problem is that this particular child's family showed flagrant disregard for co-op rules designed to protect kids like theirs from life-threatening situations (and to protect teachers from liability).  I would hesitate to make any statements of policy that you wouldn't want to apply to more responsible families.  It's a dilemma; I don't have any brilliant ideas.  

I agree.  Also, I would require the parent with epi-pen to be nearby at all times in the class, and a liability waiver signed.  I would avoid peanuts in the recipes, but I've had nut allergy kids (thankfully our last tests were CLEAR!!!) and no way would I be comfortable with someone else checking food labels or possible cross contamination. I can't believe the mom didn't disclose or think to mention this. 

But the issue isn't just providing nut free recipes.  To say it is nut free requires her to also purchase nut free products.  I haven't found chocolate chips easy to come by that aren't cross contaminated with nuts.  I buy the Enjoy Life Brand which is EXPENSIVE, especially since it's harder to find the 5 lb. bag anymore.  Why should she have to purchase more expensive products and charge the rest of the class more to ensure it is nut free?  As a society we are letting situations force change on everyone when in reality, if mom wants her son to cook, teach at home where it is safe.  Let her buy the expensive ingredients he can eat.  And teach him how to cook for his allergies.  It would be more beneficial than expecting the teacher to change her plans.  If I go to any cooking class in my area they post if it is gluten free/dairy free/nut free or if all allergens will be present.  If I sign my kid up for a class with nuts I am taking a huge risk.  And I wouldn't expect the company to change their class just b/c I want to take it.  I still think the mom is wrong and the co-op needs to say no food allergy kids can participate due to liability issues.  The teacher should have ultimate say.  

Except this kid wouldn't require expensive nut-free products.  All the teacher would have to do is refrain from putting actual peanuts in the recipe.  The kid can handle trace amount of nuts.  And maybe the mother would rather the teacher NOT alter the recipes and that is why she left the form blank.  The kid can still learn how to make foods containing nuts, he just knows he can't eat them and maybe that's the way they prefer it, rather than making the teacher feel like he has to change his recipes.

• Like 5

Except this kid wouldn't require expensive nut-free products. All the teacher would have to do is refrain from putting actual peanuts in the recipe. The kid can handle trace amount of nuts. And maybe the mother would rather the teacher NOT alter the recipes and that is why she left the form blank. The kid can still learn how to make foods containing nuts, he just knows he can't eat them and maybe that's the way they prefer it, rather than making the teacher feel like he has to change his recipes.

But (jmo of course) I think it's unfair to put the teacher (thus organization) in the position of monitoring the degree of his participation, especially for a 7 year old. His mom can cook with him at home, or invite friends over if a group is preferred.

• Like 2

A 7yo with food allergies will likely be quite a bit more aware about ingredients than the typical child of that age.  I'm positive that my 7yo allergy child could fend for himself just fine in a cooking class.  He'd know what he can and can't eat and even be able to ask questions.  And he's a generally-clueless 7yo boy.  

This child in question would see the product being made (because he's making it!).  He's been cleared to be by peanuts!!  If he has eyes, he can see whether or not peanuts are being used.  Then he can choose to eat it or not.  It's a COOKING class, not an eating class.  Yes, they can eat the product, but they don't HAVE to.  I'm not seeing why everyone thinks the mom needs to be present with an Epi pen. She'll be in the same building.  And he's been cleared to be around peanuts.  Give the mom the benefit of the doubt!

• Like 6

But (jmo of course) I think it's unfair to put the teacher (thus organization) in the position of monitoring the degree of his participation, especially for a 7 year old. His mom can cook with him at home, or invite friends over if a group is preferred.

If you think it's unfair for the teacher and the organization to have to make any kind of accommodations for this child, do you think they should be allowed to turn away children with any disabilities or medical issues that might require extra work?

Coming from a family with an encyclopedia's worth of medical issues, it makes me sad to see so many people immediately jump to excluding the child because it might be more work for the teacher. :( In my opinion, if you don't want to have to accommodate children with disabilities or medical issues, you shouldn't be teaching a class. I can see being worried about liability issues, but kicking the kid out so the teacher doesn't have to buy almond butter or something? Really?

• Like 9

I would have, wrongly apparently, assumed a home school co op class would be more welcoming. I'm starting to feel bad for the mom and think maybe she left off the allergy because this is what she faces if she includes it. She has found a therapy that is working for her child. She feels he understands his allergy and he is safe enough to do the class. The idea that it is just too hard to make a few allowances for him to be included seems harsh. It can be done. Just admit it's not something you want to do and move on. Please make it clear in the future that those with allergies will not be accommodated, though, instead of having them fill out a form that you will turn down anyway. 

• Like 10

I always take allergy cues from parents. They're the experts on their kids. I'd say option A and maybe ask the mom to sign something saying that you talked about the risks.

It's uncool that she waited to inform the teacher, and I understand being concerned about liability but a number of the reactions in this thread seem like a little much to me.

Yes. She wants him to be safe I am sure. If she and her doctor feel a cooking class is safe, I wouldn't substitute my feelings for their informed opinion.
  • Like 1

I would have, wrongly apparently, assumed a home school co op class would be more welcoming. I'm starting to feel bad for the mom and think maybe she left off the allergy because this is what she faces if she includes it. She has found a therapy that is working for her child. She feels he understands his allergy and he is safe enough to do the class. The idea that it is just too hard to make a few allowances for him to be included seems harsh. It can be done. Just admit it's not something you want to do and move on. Please make it clear in the future that those with allergies will not be accommodated, though, instead of having them fill out a form that you will turn down anyway. 

Whoa, there.  Don't mistake others' comments for mine (the OP).  Last year we banned ALL NUTS from the co-op (snacks, cooking class, everything) because we had a peanut allergy in the group.  I and the co-op are more than willing to make all kinds of concessions to make sure our kids are welcome AND safe.    

As one previous poster suggested, I have now instructed all cooking teachers to not include nuts in their recipes out of an abundance of caution for diagnosed allergies, which, as was pointed out to me, is a far greater risk than having a diagnosed allergy in the classroom.  This is not about inconveniencing anyone--our teachers are more than willing to find recipes that do not include nuts (and substitutions are super easy to come by).  This is no problem at all, and just basic human decency, in my opinion. 

The problem is liability and the lack of regard for the teacher and co-op's potential liability.  My problem is that the conversation was never brought up.  Just because mom knows he's safe doesn't mean our co-op and our teacher is protected from all liability--we are not.  

I don't care how mature the kids is, or how well the OIT works, you cannot convince me to disregard any discussion of liability when a 7 year old is left to manage a life-threatening allergy when the allergen is present and being eaten right in front of the child. 

We are more than willing to make every accommodation so that this child can take cooking class next session--with mom there in the room with him (remember he's only 7, and with a no-peanut policy that we'll be happy to implement, but not mid-session.  Not when mom willfully omitted any information about this whatsoever.

• Like 6

Whoa, there. Don't mistake others' comments for mine (the OP). Last year we banned ALL NUTS from the co-op (snacks, cooking class, everything) because we had a peanut allergy in the group. I and the co-op are more than willing to make all kinds of concessions to make sure our kids are welcome AND safe.

As one previous poster suggested, I have now instructed all cooking teachers to not include nuts in their recipes out of an abundance of caution for diagnosed allergies, which, as was pointed out to me, is a far greater risk than having a diagnosed allergy in the classroom. This is not about inconveniencing anyone--our teachers are more than willing to find recipes that do not include nuts (and substitutions are super easy to come by). This is no problem at all, and just basic human decency, in my opinion.

The problem is liability and the lack of regard for the teacher and co-op's potential liability. My problem is that the conversation was never brought up. Just because mom knows he's safe doesn't mean our co-op and our teacher is protected from all liability--we are not.

I don't care how mature the kids is, or how well the OIT works, you cannot convince me to disregard any discussion of liability when a 7 year old is left to manage a life-threatening allergy when the allergen is present and being eaten right in front of the child.

We are more than willing to make every accommodation so that this child can take cooking class next session--with mom there in the room with him (remember he's only 7, and with a no-peanut policy that we'll be happy to implement, but not mid-session. Not when mom willfully omitted any information about this whatsoever.

My post was actually only in response to yours. I wasn't mistaking other posts for yours. I just don't agree with you. If you're in the middle of the session, he's been safe and the plan they came up with has worked. I would accommodate for the rest of the session.

• Like 1

My post was actually only in response to yours. I wasn't mistaking other posts for yours. I just don't agree with you. If you're in the middle of the session, he's been safe and the plan they came up with has worked. I would accommodate for the rest of the session.

No, he wasn't safe.  The very first recipe contained peanuts, which made him run angrily out of the room, much to the surprise and shock of our poor cooking teacher (who had no idea b/c mom lied on our registration form).  No plan had been come up with other than "let's keep everyone in the dark until it becomes a real problem."

• Like 3

...  I and the co-op are more than willing to make all kinds of concessions to make sure our kids are welcome AND safe.    ...

We are more than willing to make every accommodation so that this child can take cooking class next session--with mom there in the room with him (remember he's only 7, and with a no-peanut policy that we'll be happy to implement, but not mid-session.  Not when mom willfully omitted any information about this whatsoever.

It sounds like you are handling this well, with everyone's needs in mind.  I'm glad the boy will get to take cooking class, I'm glad that the classes will now be nut-free, and I'm glad you respected your teacher's time regarding re-working her plans.

In my fantasy scenario, you will also recruit the mom to be the volunteer responsible for processing, validating, and following up on all co-op forms for the foreseeable future.  You know, registrations, field trips, special event RSVPs, lunch orders - all of them.  She can handle all of the phone calls and emails over late or incomplete forms, contact anyone who doesn't RSVP to event invites or who answers vaguely, do all the follow-up needed to change lunch orders after the deadline or deal with checks that are written for the wrong amount, dig up the contact info for everyone who doesn't bother providing it when asked on the forms, and so on. :D  You will of course oversee this work, so you can sweetly ask each week, "Hey, four people didn't fill in the such-and-such part of the xyz form that was due last week - could you give them a call and make sure we know the information?  Thanks!"  /snark

OK, not really.  But I hope no one read my previous posts as being anti-allergy or anti-accommodation.  The allergy part of this story doesn't bother me.  It's the FORMS, people!  They are there for a reason!!!

(Why yes, I may be a little burnt out.  Why do you ask?   :D )

• Like 1

I think the fact that his doctor and parents have his peanut exposure under control is being lost. I also now completely understand why the mom left the form blank.

You all read that he can be near peanuts, right?

You read that he can't eat more than 3 peanuts or have a potentially life-threatening reaction, right?  

And that mom isn't in the room, and that no one has an epi pen around, and that he's only 7, and that the teacher better get her recipes right or the child could die, right? 

• Like 1

If you think it's unfair for the teacher and the organization to have to make any kind of accommodations for this child, do you think they should be allowed to turn away children with any disabilities or medical issues that might require extra work?

Coming from a family with an encyclopedia's worth of medical issues, it makes me sad to see so many people immediately jump to excluding the child because it might be more work for the teacher. :( In my opinion, if you don't want to have to accommodate children with disabilities or medical issues, you shouldn't be teaching a class. I can see being worried about liability issues, but kicking the kid out so the teacher doesn't have to buy almond butter or something? Really?

Never said that.  Not once.  We never wanted to exclude.  We have in the past and will again make any reasonable adjustment to cooking policies, nut policies, whatever.  

But we kinda hafta know about a potentially life-threatening condition in order to make accommodations, agreed?

• Like 1

I was speaking to this particular situation, for this class in mid-semester. IF the mom had properly provided the info, an accommodation would have been possible. Maybe next semester it will be. 

I understand the challenges, I am also the parent of a nut-allergic kid. I don't promote exclusion generally, but sometimes you have to put the brakes on for a time while a situation is resolved to the safety and satisfaction of all parties.

If he needed an epi pen, he would have one prescribed. Have you talked with mom?

It seems like you are moving forward with discriminating against him continuing a class half over, and are making medical decisions on their behalf.

Not all allergies are life threatening like you seem to be asserting. I don't think he would have been a candidate for oral immunotherapy if his had been.

• Like 1

You read that he can't eat more than 3 peanuts or have a potentially life-threatening reaction, right?

And that mom isn't in the room, and that no one has an epi pen around, and that he's only 7, and that the teacher better get her recipes right or the child could die, right?

All kids who aren't toddlers keep their epipens with them and know how to use them in our co op. That includes the nut kids, latex kids, pineapple kids, shellfish kids, and adults like me. The only ones we worry about are the preschooler and toddler group, where the adults are more fastidious because they cannot verbalized symptoms well or administer their own meds yet.

If he needed an epi pen, he would have one prescribed. Have you talked with mom?

It seems like you are moving forward with discriminating against him continuing a class half over, and are making medical decisions on their behalf.

Not all allergies are life threatening like you seem to be asserting. I don't think he would have been a candidate for oral immunotherapy if his had been.

I asked, and she didn't answer.  More secrecy, more obfuscation.  We're prepared to bend over backwards for this kid, and she's putting up more roadblocks.  Right now I just don't trust her.

• Like 2

All kids who aren't toddlers keep their epipens with them and know how to use them in our co op. That includes the nut kids, latex kids, pineapple kids, shellfish kids, and adults like me. The only ones we worry about are the preschooler and toddler group, where the adults are more fastidious because they cannot verbalized symptoms well or administer their own meds yet.

You don't worry about the ones who run angrily from the classroom at the sight of known allergen?

/facetious

Many (most?) kids who carry epipens have never had to self administer. That causes me to believe adults charged with their care should be trained in epipen use. Something that can be anticipated when folks don't omit info from important paperwork.

Maybe the kid overreacted. I am still baffled why the mom thought it wasn't worth disclosing. 

• Like 2

Who said it was half over?  We've had one class, at which his allergy came out (the kid announced it, mom did not) b/c the recipe to be made that day included peanut butter.

It was definitely a life threatening allergy, as mom has made very clear, before OIT.

Who said it was half over? We've had one class, at which his allergy came out (the kid announced it, mom did not) b/c the recipe to be made that day included peanut butter.

It was definitely a life threatening allergy, as mom has made very clear, before OIT.

When you responded to me, you said it was mid session. So, I think some of us felt that meant you were in the middle, not the beginning, of classes.

When you responded to me, you said it was mid session. So, I think some of us felt that meant you were in the middle, not the beginning, of classes.

I am one who used the phrase "mid-session." 

It's the first class for the students. The teacher, however, may have spent a number of weeks over the summer planning out the curriculum and recipes to be used. We do not know how many other lessons this semester would be affected. We do not know when th teacher might be available to be trained on epipen use. There are many facets to the situation.

I am one who used the phrase "mid-session."

It's the first class for the students. The teacher, however, may have spent a number of weeks over the summer planning out the curriculum and recipes to be used. We do not know how many other lessons this semester would be affected. We do not know when th teacher might be available to be trained on epipen use. There are many facets to the situation.

The OP used it too. It's in my post where I quoted her. I'm on my phone so can't tell what number post it is. It's not a big thing but it's confusing to say you won't change mid session if it's only been one class.

Only one class also confused me in not accommodating. Especially since the OP now says she understands it would be safer for everyone going forward. If you know using no nuts is safer, why wouldn't you change it now?

• Like 1

I think sometimes there is a lack of awareness of how much prior preparation goes into planning a class. I'm teaching a "Music of Star Wars" short session next semester and am already very, very far into researching and writing arrangements so I'll be ready to teach this Spring. A four week class usually has me planning several months ahead.

This fall, one of our sessions for older DC (middle/high school) was on writing and drawing comic books/webcomics. Lots of guest speakers, lots of writing instruction bundled in, lots of outside sources pulled together. The instructors started working on it last Spring, building off the Stan Lee MOOC that many of the older kids had done. We found out after the class had started that one of the kids had only "just really started to learn to read" and had never done any writing at all. It wasn't life threatening, but it was a major burden on volunteer teachers to develop a completely parallel program that was on this child's level at the drop of a hat, without calling too much attention to the child (like, say, by having an adult read for him and scribe for him). If the parent had actually put that information under the "is there anything we need o know about your child" section of the form, at least the instructors would have had a heads up that they needed to change their plans!

It's great to accommodate, and I don't think anyone want to leave kids out. But the fact is, we need to know in order to do so. The more prior notice the better.

• Like 4

I asked, and she didn't answer.  More secrecy, more obfuscation.  We're prepared to bend over backwards for this kid, and she's putting up more roadblocks.  Right now I just don't trust her.

Oh dear.  I am all for accommodations for all kinds of things.  But the parent (and as they get older, the child themself) has to be able to explain the disability and address any questions or concerns the accommodating organization may have.  I suppose there might be situations where privacy comes into play (see, for example, universal precautions vs. HIV disclosure), and a full explanation is not appropriate, but a simple nut allergy doesn't seem to fit well in that category.

• Like 1

No, he wasn't safe.  The very first recipe contained peanuts, which made him run angrily out of the room, much to the surprise and shock of our poor cooking teacher (who had no idea b/c mom lied on our registration form).  No plan had been come up with other than "let's keep everyone in the dark until it becomes a real problem."

See, I wish I had known from the first post or at least earlier than this that he didn't merely mention his allergy. He ran angrily from the room. Ok, that is a problem. I already said I understood why you felt deceived on the form (because I don't think desensitization treatments are widely understood enough by the general population) and I even said I thought the idea of his mom telling him to just go find her was not a great way for her to handle it either.

I think I said it is wonderful you have or would have accommodated with no nuts or peanuts if necessary.

Again, this child aside, can  I get  clarification here? You said: "As one previous poster suggested, I have now instructed all cooking teachers to not include nuts in their recipes out of an abundance of caution for diagnosed allergies, which, as was pointed out to me, is a far greater risk than having a diagnosed allergy in the classroom. "

Did you mean "out of an abundance of caution for undiagnosed allergies"?

If so, I definitely applaud that move, but may I suggest (again) that you look into training some staff to handle an emergency? Because a person could have an undiagnosed allergy to dairy or eggs or accidental exposure (recalls on "safe" food happen all the time!) during any class with food.

You clearly care about safety and protection of your group but you said at first no one in the class is trained on emergency handling. Let's say you allow a kid into the class with nut allergies. In the unlikely but not unheard of event, the nut-free ingredient is contaminated or the spatula wasn't cleaned properly and the kid has a serious reaction. It doesn't take long for it to become life-threatening and you *cannot* rely on *anyone* even an adult to self-administer. Yes, they are designed to allow for self use but among the symptoms are confusion and denial.  It is vital to have someone on hand who knows what to do. I live by that in my everyday life because of my risk of it happening again. I hope you will consider it. I posted some resources earlier for you and could find more if it would help.

• Like 1

I would still want (and I'm not saying this is the case at your co-op) trained staff who know how to recognize the signs and administer. I do not believe it is wise to rely on self-administration. Sure it happens and it works.

Maybe it is just me the denial and confusion was so strong and I couldn't do it myself. And I have zero fear of needles!

As to the ages of kids, of course little ones need more but I still believe the teen years are risky. Different challenges, but not necessarily lower risk.

I would still want (and I'm not saying this is the case at your co-op) trained staff who know how to recognize the signs and administer. I do not believe it is wise to rely on self-administration. Sure it happens and it works.

Maybe it is just me the denial and confusion was so strong and I couldn't do it myself. And I have zero fear of needles!

As to the ages of kids, of course little ones need more but I still believe the teen years are risky. Different challenges, but not necessarily lower risk.

Maybe it is just me, but when I have a reaction there isn't a delay in self administering and I'm also terrified of needles. It's when the reaction is borderline or milder it is hard, because I don't want to have to go to the ER if I can get on top of it with H2 blockers and Benadryl.

As an allergy individual and an allergy parent, with allergy kids in my classes, I don't know a kid who isn't prepared to self administer once they hit grade school. Maybe it is different in schools as opposed to homeschooling? But the only one I can think of who has an autoinjector and can't use it is a three year old boy.

I don't know how much training an adult needs, but I self educated with my allergies through the FARE website and am very comfortable with individuals identifying their own limits. My allergies are common foods and not ones that get any prep, and my affected kid has the same issue. So to me a policy of 'deal with it one on one' is common sense.

Mom should have disclosed the allergy over the phone or on the form. But I get why she didn't. The co op assuming they knew better how to take care of her child's needs than her is a real issue. More communication in place of hard and fast policies might be the wisest course of action in the future.

Our co op doesn't say no to kids, even those with significant disabilities and medical issues. This works because we ask the parents to talk to the coordinator and all the teachers to figure out gameplans. Maybe our co op is just too small but it has worked brilliantly thus far. So that's the position I'm speaking from.

I don't think there is any question her lack of disclosure and communication ahead of time was wrong. But the OP's 'solutions' really rubbed me the wrong way.

Maybe it is just me, but when I have a reaction there isn't a delay in self administering and I'm also terrified of needles. It's when the reaction is borderline or milder it is hard, because I don't want to have to go to the ER if I can get on top of it with H2 blockers and Benadryl.

As an allergy individual and an allergy parent, with allergy kids in my classes, I don't know a kid who isn't prepared to self administer once they hit grade school. Maybe it is different in schools as opposed to homeschooling? But the only one I can think of who has an autoinjector and can't use it is a three year old boy.

I don't know how much training an adult needs, but I self educated with my allergies through the FARE website and am very comfortable with individuals identifying their own limits. My allergies are common foods and not ones that get any prep, and my affected kid has the same issue. So to me a policy of 'deal with it one on one' is common sense.

Mom should have disclosed the allergy over the phone or on the form. But I get why she didn't. The co op assuming they knew better how to take care of her child's needs than her is a real issue. More communication in place of hard and fast policies might be the wisest course of action in the future.

Our co op doesn't say no to kids, even those with significant disabilities and medical issues. This works because we ask the parents to talk to the coordinator and all the teachers to figure out gameplans. Maybe our co op is just too small but it has worked brilliantly thus far. So that's the position I'm speaking from.

I don't think there is any question her lack of disclosure and communication ahead of time was wrong. But the OP's 'solutions' really rubbed me the wrong way.

In response to what I put in bold in your post:

never said that people shouldn't know how to self admin. I know how to. My kid is well trained on how to. Neither of us fear needles or have expressed concern that we would be ordinarily unwilling to self inject. What I am saying is I needed to be injected because it happened very quickly. I don't think that is the norm but I don't think it is unusual for someone in a reaction to need help even if they are of age to self admin.

And I'm saying I would not have my kid at a class with food (for us, our restrictions mean she eats only her own food, period) without me or someone trained on how to use an epi. I would expect she could self admin if nec. but I want someone there in case she can't.

Quite a few people may have made it through their reactions because they had assistance or were with people who knew exactly what to do.  The basic point I am trying to get across is I believe people with food allergies would benefit from as many people in their lives as possible who know the symptoms and know the order of the emergency plan (it's not complex) if something happens and happens rapidly.

This is my opinion and it's how we make some of our choices. We've established that's different for everyone and of course you can disagree. But I'm just going to say I don't think I'm the only person who would be uncomfortable with relying on self-administration alone and I've read guidelines that specifically point out that even someone who self-carries may not be able to because of the reaction. You can disagree with me on that but I did not say that a person shouldn't learn to self-inject or that it is always necessary to have help injecting. 

And my bigger point, to the OP,  was that even if the class or co-op was registered with kids that had no known allergies it could still happen so why not train someone in the classroom to know how to treat an emergency? Now this article is about public schools, not small co-ops, but we're still talking about groups of kids. And, btw, I was talking about all settings, not just homeschool or public school. I mean, why would a public school or anyone in charge of a group of kids on a regular basis not want be trained for emergencies? And I was saying we practice this no matter where we are -- because of my risk, I try not to eat unless I have someone around that can help me. Not always possible, but at this point in my kid's life, I can definitely make sure someone is always around to assist if necessary.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/853486

As to the rest, I agree. I didn't like option a or b and am sorry to hear it's going downhill.

• Like 1

We don't say no, either.  Kind of hard to make a gameplan when mom doesn't tell you there needs to be a gameplan.  

• Like 1