Menu

s/o of a s/o babysitting pay compared to housekeeper pay

Hikin' Mama

I don't have young children anymore, but I read the babysitting pay thread with interest. The wage posters were reporting for babysitters is what cleaning people (individuals, not ones who work for a service) charge around here: $15-20/hr. So in places where sitters are getting paid $15-20/hr., do cleaning people (independent, not with a service) get paid more? I would think so, because cleaning is a much more physically demanding job, imo. But I may yet again learn something new here on the Hive. :)

My housekeepers charge "by the job".  I live in a $15-20/hr babysitting region, and my housekeepers charge $100/week to clean my just under 3,000 sq ft house.  Sometimes it is just two of them, sometimes they bring along their third sister and/or a niece.  It can take anywhere from 2-4 hours, with 2 being more usual.  The time differential is usually related to how many people are here, not how messy we are!  

• Like 1

I'm not sure what physical exertion has to do with pay rates.

If maids earn more than sitters, because of the physical labor component, then I would assume any job that is physical in nature would command a higher pay rate than a job that isn't as physical in nature, and that just isn't how things work. 

• Like 3

My housekeepers charge "by the job". I live in a $15-20/hr babysitting region, and my housekeepers charge $100/week to clean my just under 3,000 sq ft house. Sometimes it is just two of them, sometimes they bring along their third sister and/or a niece. It can take anywhere from 2-4 hours, with 2 being more usual. The time differential is usually related to how many people are here, not how messy we are!

So two people, 2 hours equals $25 an hour? Is my math right on that?

I don't pay for babysitters or housekeepers but it seems to me that babysitters have the more important job (sorry housekeepers, no offense) and should get paid more. When I babysat as a teen though, I was always playing and interacting with the kids and when I wasn't, I was cleaning the kitchen or picking up whatever mess we made. I certainly didn't get paid money to just sit around.

I'm not sure what physical exertion has to do with pay rates.

If maids earn more than sitters, because of the physical labor component, then I would assume any job that is physical in nature would command a higher pay rate than a job that isn't as physical in nature, and that just isn't how things work.

Well yes it is when talking about unskilled labor.

I don't pay for babysitters or housekeepers but it seems to me that babysitters have the more important job (sorry housekeepers, no offense) and should get paid more. When I babysat as a teen though, I was always playing and interacting with the kids and when I wasn't, I was cleaning the kitchen or picking up whatever mess we made. I certainly didn't get paid money to just sit around.

In my area house cleaners get paid about $20 per hour. I don't think sitters get that much around here though.

Well yes it is when talking about unskilled labor.

I guess I don't consider childcare unskilled labor, honestly.

At the end of the day, I think it would be determined based on the consequences of screw up and how you rate quality of work from there. At least, it is for me.

If a housekeeper screws up, I may end up with a blemished floor; if my sitter screws up, I could end up with a hurt (or worse) kid.

Therefore, I'm more likely to pay well and demand quality from a sitter (when I wouldn't demand the same quality from a housekeeper).

My opinion may be entirely jaded considering I have The Marvelous Flying Marco as a child - and when I find a great sitter who "gets" him, AND can still give attention to our awesome DS6, I'm willing to pay pretty dearly for that peace of mind, lol.

• Like 2

I guess I don't consider childcare unskilled labor, honestly.

At the end of the day, I think it would be determined based on the consequences of screw up and how you rate quality of work from there. At least, it is for me.

If a housekeeper screws up, I may end up with a blemished floor; if my sitter screws up, I could end up with a hurt (or worse) kid.

Therefore, I'm more likely to pay well and demand quality from a sitter (when I wouldn't demand the same quality from a housekeeper).

I am not disagreeing that child care is more important than housekeeping. Yes children are important. Not that we could see that based upon teacher pay vs. attorney pay...but my point was about what is consider unskilled. You don't need a degree or even a license to be a baby sitter or a housekeeper.

• Like 1

I am not disagreeing that child care is more important than housekeeping. Yes children are important. Not that we could see that based upon teacher pay vs. attorney pay...but my point was about what is consider unskilled. You don't need a degree or even a license to be a baby sitter or a housekeeper.

No, but a childcare worker within a center setting often has to have a degree or at least certification. A private sitter who demands a higher price often has certification and/or so many years of experience.

I think it simply comes down to the value the person paying places on the service given. In other words, I don't think there's a hard and fast rule regarding which should, or could, demand more just because of the job type - as with anything else, it's supply and demand, and the value placed on the service determined by any given consumer.

Housekeepers here start at around $10/hr, but I think pay is more normally based on the job or by the day, not by the hour. 

Sitters here generally charge by the hour, unless it's a regular arrangement (more of a "childcare" situation).

I actually think the screw up factor is pretty good one. If a teacher screws up, a kid may need remediation. If an attorney screws up, the client may lose a lot of money, their freedom, or their life even.

It's not the only factor--the need for formal training is a factor as well.

• Like 1

A former boss had been a summer nanny.  She said she used the housekeepers pay to negotiate her salary.  She'd ask them how much they paid their housekeepers, then said "What is more important, your toilets or your kids?"    I know she worked for CPS after that, so she was probably getting a degree in early childhood something or other.  

No, but a childcare worker within a center setting often has to have a degree or at least certification. A private sitter who demands a higher price often has certification and/or so many years of experience.

I think it simply comes down to the value the person paying places on the service given. In other words, I don't think there's a hard and fast rule regarding which should, or could, demand more just because of the job type - as with anything else, it's supply and demand, and the value placed on the service determined by any given consumer.

Housekeepers here start at around $10/hr, but I think pay is more normally based on the job or by the day, not by the hour.

Sitters here generally charge by the hour, unless it's a regular arrangement (more of a "childcare" situation).

You are confusing me. I feel like we are having two different conversations. I thought we were talking about babysitting....as in hiring someone while you go on a date with your husband. I think most people would consider that an unskilled labor type situation. When you start talking about a babysitter with a degree in childcare or a licensed daycare operator I think that is a different conversation.

• Like 2

Here housekeepers make more than sitters.

And dog walkers can make $18 for a half-hour walk.

I think that's pretty interesting.

That is interesting. It kind of speaks to the weird priorities we have as a society with regard to children. I read that pediatricians are among the lowest paid doctors.

I pay my cleaners and my regular non-group childcare about the same hourly rate.

As for whether child care or cleaning is more valuable, that depends on the individual and what s/he is asked to do.  A normal, healthy, potty-trained child can be watched for a few hours by almost any adult, and by many responsible teens as well.  Not much experience or specialized education is required.  If you have an ongoing need for something more than just making sure the child doesn't burn the house down, then you will look for someone with specific experience or skills and probably pay them more.

Yes, cleaning is a physical job, though that varies too.  I've had maids who worked vigorously and left everything shiny, and then I've had maids who got easily fatigued, took a numerous breaks, and got a lot less done in the same amount of time.  And they have differing abilities to value-add with good ideas and efficiency.

You are confusing me. I feel like we are having two different conversations. I thought we were talking about babysitting....as in hiring someone while you go on a date with your husband. I think most people would consider that an unskilled labor type situation. When you start talking about a babysitter with a degree in childcare or a licensed daycare operator I think that is a different conversation.

Sorry for being confusing :)

Around here, it isn't abnormal at all for even occasional sitters to have certification in early childhood, or even an education degree of some sort. We use a sitter service, for example, and all of their employees are either college educated or are in college - and a fairly large percentage either went to school for, or are going to school for, something related to children. These are occasional date-night (or other appointment) sitters. 

Housekeepers are paid by the job while babysitters are paid by the hour. So hard to compare rates.

And I'd guess a daycare worker probably makes more per hour moonlighting than at her regular job.

A friend works in childcare and has a postgrad in childhood education. Adding in medical benefits, overtime pay for school holidays and 401k matching by employer, the difference isn't that great anymore compared to moonlighting.

For 4 kids, I typically pay $12-$15 per hours for college aged sitters.  When I last looked into a housekeeper, the going rate was $100-$120 an hour for my 2600 sq. ft. house.  It takes one person roughly 4 hours to clean my house, the that rate would be $25+ per hour.  This is why I do not utilize a house keeper, though I would love too.

Here, housekeepers are paid more than babysitters, and because it was interesting to see the dog walking option juxtaposed - dog walkers are paid more than both.  

Isn't that the truth! They make a bundle. I know a woman who runs a huge business just walking dogs and makes a comfortable living at it.

• Like 1

Housekeepers are making more here, though maybe it's about the same for a sitter hired through a service.  An individual who does housecleaning here would probably charge $20-$25 per hour.   We've never paid more than $15/hr for a sitter, but they have always been college age or younger (mostly teens).  I see housekeeping as heavy, gross work (maybe because I don't like to do it? Or because I usually have only hired housekeepers when I had a lot of work that needed to be done?).  Watching my kids for two or three hours seems easy in comparison.  I might view it differently if it was a nanny that was going to have a big influence on my kids for a long period of time.  But as long as the sitter is someone who is reasonably trustworthy (and not going to put my kids in an unsafe situation), their time spent here is not usually all that difficult as I am just expecting them play with my kids for a couple hours -- not cook, clean, etc. 

:closedeyes:  I'm just remembering the summer of 1978 when I babysat a special-needs toddler 40+ hours per week Mon-Fri - and also cooked and cleaned - for $70 per week.

About the same here- but not special needs. Summer of 78 I babysat full time for a family with two kids, and cooked the kids lunch and had dinner ready when the mom arrived home. Earned $50/week. Was also expected to do light cleaning, like fold laundry, clean up kitchen, and dust, etc.   The next year I got my first 'real' job making minimum wage, which at the time was $3.15 an hour.  But I clearly remember that teen babysitters were making $1 to $1.50 an hour, which is why we all wanted to get 'real' jobs.   

When our older daughters starting babysitting, they were also paid about half minimum wage.  But by the time youngest dd started babysitting, she was paid at least minimum wage.  

• Like 1

We're in the $20-$25 babysitting range here. As posted above, house cleaners bring their own supplies and charge by the job. Typically at least $150 per house, but the last time we had it done (ages ago) I think we spent $200. We have a smallish house.

I find it interesting that in other areas housekeepers charge by the job -- I feel like that would be much better than what we've seen around here.  We've hired out cleaning a few times and it has always been an hourly charge.  One service estimated a house of our size would take 4 hours.  I said, fine, I was willing to pay for up to five hours of cleaning.  I gave them my priority list and left (aka -- focus on the kitchen and bathrooms, only do the other rooms if you still have time).  When I returned five hours later, the kitchen was in shambles, they had done first the things I had said to do only if there was time, and one bathroom wasn't done at all.  I was hosting a gathering at my house the next day and didn't have much "choice" other than to let them finish the job for several more hours (since I had other things to do to get ready, and didn't feel like I had time to take over where they left off, nor did I feel like I should have to do that).  I complained to the owner of the service and wasn't charged for all the hours the crew was there...but boy, was I mad.    That experience has made me really leery of hiring cleaners who charge by the hour, but like I said...that seems to be the norm here.

I find it interesting that in other areas housekeepers charge by the job -- I feel like that would be much better than what we've seen around here.  We've hired out cleaning a few times and it has always been an hourly charge.  One service estimated a house of our size would take 4 hours.  I said, fine, I was willing to pay for up to five hours of cleaning.  I gave them my priority list and left (aka -- focus on the kitchen and bathrooms, only do the other rooms if you still have time).  When I returned five hours later, the kitchen was in shambles, they had done first the things I had said to do only if there was time, and one bathroom wasn't done at all.  I was hosting a gathering at my house the next day and didn't have much "choice" other than to let them finish the job for several more hours (since I had other things to do to get ready, and didn't feel like I had time to take over where they left off, nor did I feel like I should have to do that).  I complained to the owner of the service and wasn't charged for all the hours the crew was there...but boy, was I mad.    That experience has made me really leery of hiring cleaners who charge by the hour, but like I said...that seems to be the norm here.

I think it's much better for the company too. The way that one explained it to me is that the estimate the job and then when they come, they can be flexible about how many people they send depending on how much work they have for the day so it lets them be flexible - they're still paying their people by the hour, but we're paying by the job so they can distribute the work as they wish. So they'll send between 1 and 4 or 5 people - you never know. Obviously it will take the one person longer, but they get more money. It's like a math problem... if it takes one housecleaner four hours to clean your house, how long will it take three housecleaners...

IME, cleaners get paid more because they are expected to be physically working nearly the entire time they are on the job, excepting occasional brief breaks. On the other hand, babysitters are expected to keep the kid(s) safe, happy, fed, and tidy. That's it. If the kid(s) are happy on the swings in the back yard, the baby sitter is welcome to browse FaceBook for an hour or read a novel while keeping one eye on the kid. Similarly, if the kid(s) are asleep, the sitter is welcome to watch TV. Etc, etc. A cleaner is supposed to be doing serious physical labor the entire time. So, although the sitter job is much more vital and important, the cleaner gets paid more. Similar reasoning for paying a sitter of very young children and/or multiple kids a higher rate than a sitter of just one kid or an older kid. Keeping a 6 or 10 year old safe and well is just as important as keeping a 12 month old safe and well, but the level of exertion involved is very different!

That said, all that varies with hours/tasks/etc. In general, IME, cleaners get paid a bit more than sitters. If cleaners are charging 12-15/hr, then sitters more like 8-10. IME. 

• Like 1

About the same here- but not special needs. Summer of 78 I babysat full time for a family with two kids, and cooked the kids lunch and had dinner ready when the mom arrived home. Earned $50/week. Was also expected to do light cleaning, like fold laundry, clean up kitchen, and dust, etc.   The next year I got my first 'real' job making minimum wage, which at the time was $3.15 an hour.  But I clearly remember that teen babysitters were making $1 to $1.50 an hour, which is why we all wanted to get 'real' jobs.   

When our older daughters starting babysitting, they were also paid about half minimum wage.  But by the time youngest dd started babysitting, she was paid at least minimum wage.  

LOL. I remember at the time thinking, "these people are getting a really good deal" but I didn't care. They had a nice house which was pretty easy to clean and I was bored so I was happy to do it. The toddler was a handful, though - she wore glasses with an eye patch on one lens that she hated and it was hard to keep her from tearing them off, wore diapers and was non-verbal so all our conversations were one-way. It was harder than you would have thought to not be able to have a real conversation with anyone all day long. I also had to drive her to preschool and back a couple of mornings a week, in addition to all my driving time to get to and from their house, but gas was cheaper back then. Looking back, I didn't earn very much.

And yes, I remember my first "real" jobs paying $3.15/hr and it was a shock to see how much tax they took out of that!

Yeah, from 1980-1982 I babysat for a famiy for $1.50/hr, which was better than the $1/hr I could get elsewhere.  The kids were 2 and 3 when I started, and then they had a baby when the oldest was 4.  I started babysitting all three full-time Saturdays when the baby was 6 weeks old, and about 50 hours per week in the summer.  I did everything for the kids, cooked (simple foods), cleaned, did some laundry and shopping, taught them preschool stuff, took them for walks, potty trained, changed peed bedding.  When they had friends over, I took care of 5 kids ages 1-5 for no extra pay.  I thought it was a sweet deal for a kid age 13-15.  Definitely paid better than my paper route.

It was a little difficult to get used to the idea that my tots were worth $20/hr to care for.  :P

• Like 2

IME, cleaners get paid more because they are expected to be physically working nearly the entire time they are on the job, excepting occasional brief breaks. On the other hand, babysitters are expected to keep the kid(s) safe, happy, fed, and tidy. That's it. If the kid(s) are happy on the swings in the back yard, the baby sitter is welcome to browse FaceBook for an hour or read a novel while keeping one eye on the kid. Similarly, if the kid(s) are asleep, the sitter is welcome to watch TV. Etc, etc. A cleaner is supposed to be doing serious physical labor the entire time. So, although the sitter job is much more vital and important, the cleaner gets paid more. Similar reasoning for paying a sitter of very young children and/or multiple kids a higher rate than a sitter of just one kid or an older kid. Keeping a 6 or 10 year old safe and well is just as important as keeping a 12 month old safe and well, but the level of exertion involved is very different!

That said, all that varies with hours/tasks/etc. In general, IME, cleaners get paid a bit more than sitters. If cleaners are charging 12-15/hr, then sitters more like 8-10. IME.

This was exactly my line of thinking when I said that babysitting is more physically demanding and I thought it would bring a higher wage.

Thanks for all the reponses! It's always interesting to hear other experiences and viewpoints.

I made about $1-2/hour when I babysat. That was under minimum wage. I always paid my babysitters above minimum wage, but not close to $15/hr. I always had teens as paid babysitters for my kids as did my friends. They might exist, but in my area (small and rural), I haven't heard of professional babysitters with degrees.

Supply and demand.

Fewer people clean houses as it's not a traditional teen job. Also it's considered "lower" work to some--I could pay a neighbor for watching my kids but not for cleaning my house. Awkward! Hence, the supply is lower. So the price is higher.

In addition, people who pay for their homes to be cleaned do so out of choice in many cases. It's a luxury good. But babysitting is not. If I can clean ten houses per week, I will choose the highest paying. So once you get rich and retired people in that pool, the price goes up. But babysitters mainly only have families without nannies to choose from. They can't price their goods for retired millionaires.

So, cleaners get more.

Pay is not directly related to effort or importance. Otherwise video game programmers would not earn more than diamond miners or nannies or even electricians. No, it is the scarcity of the supply that makes a difference. Almost anyone COULD nanny if need be. So any programmer could walk off the job and worst case scenario, clean toilets. But a nanny may have no other skills. The supply is elastic (others can do it) but her demand to be paid is inelastic. :)

• Like 1

Dogwalkers get paid more partly because they are only "on the clock" for 30 minutes, but driving back and forth takes just as long or longer. And because they know they will only get so many hours of work a day. Walking the dog doesn't take long, but blocking out your schedule each day to accomodate that job is a pain in the neck, or having to stop what you are doing to go do it, etc. it interferes with more than just the 30 minutes you are there. In fact, most I know charge by the visit, not by the hour for that reason. 

• Like 3

I think babysitting pay is low because it is often a 'per job, if I am available' thing, and a lot of people are willing to trust 14 year olds who have few other job options. They often aren't licensed, bonded or insured in any way, can't drive, and most parents don't even require CPR certification. The kids are willing to accept low pay and the parents don't want to pay for an adult with better qualifications for a few hours here or there. I know caring for children is an important job, but I see few parents say, "I would not trust a 15 year old with my car, and my kids are way more important that my car." So I guess I think the fact that there are a lot of kids willing to do it who can't get many other jobs deflates prices.

Dogwalkers get paid more partly because they are only "on the clock" for 30 minutes, but driving back and forth takes just as long or longer. And because they know they will only get so many hours of work a day. Walking the dog doesn't take long, but blocking out your schedule each day to accomodate that job is a pain in the neck, or having to stop what you are doing to go do it, etc. it interferes with more than just the 30 minutes you are there. In fact, most I know charge by the visit, not by the hour for that reason.

Also greater personal risk and more poop.

Housekeepers get paid more than child caregivers here. We pay $10/hour for child care but paid $30/hour for house cleaning when we paid it.

And, yes, our cleaning person charged by the hour. The services all charged by the job but didn't actually *clean*. I finally found an individual who thoroughly scrubbed and it worked out to about the same price.

When I was a nanny (years ago) in the DC area, I made $10 an hour and the housecleaners made $25 an hour each. According to my other nanny friends, making significantly less than the cleaners was normal.

Minimum here for babysitting my family of three is $22 an hour. My friends report that they pay their house cleaners about $35 an hour, so I see a similar discrepancy between babysitter and housecleaner pay as existed when I was young.