Menu

In reference to political posts and banning people--haven't we had enough?

Reading Susan's post tonight about a few people getting banned and our suppositions beforehand of why they would have been banned made me think: there have been a few iffy posts here and there about religion, but, for the most part, the only ones that have been negative, really fired up, hostile, and downright mean have been about politics.

I love this board, and I love coming here (a little too much, I'll admit it--alright, much too much!!)--but, lately, I almost dread it. I can't keep away from the political posts, but, gosh, they can be horrible.

Susan let us keep them up here, but, maybe, collectively, we could all be grown-ups, say we've had enough, we love each other, don't want to have anymore hard feelings and alienation, and get back to what we came here for--chats about homeschooling, our kids and ourselves, and leave all that nonsense out there?

I know some of you must feel this way? How about it?

Reading Susan's post tonight about a few people getting banned and our suppositions beforehand of why they would have been banned made me think: there have been a few iffy posts here and there about religion, but, for the most part, the only ones that have been negative, really fired up, hostile, and downright mean have been about politics.

I love this board, and I love coming here (a little too much, I'll admit it--alright, much too much!!)--but, lately, I almost dread it. I can't keep away from the political posts, but, gosh, they can be horrible.

Susan let us keep them up here, but, maybe, collectively, we could all be grown-ups, say we've had enough, we love each other, don't want to have anymore hard feelings and alienation, and get back to what we came here for--chats about homeschooling, our kids and ourselves, and leave all that nonsense out there?

Well, honestly, I don't think politics bleeds from thread to thread. So as long a Ms. Susan allows it, I'll indulge. I have no other outlet for this discussion, not even my dh. It's beneficial to me, and I hope that so far I've self-censored when necessary and apologized when I neglected to do so.

I prefer a different (and equally grownup) route.

So I'll pass, but I promise not to intrude on any chatting you do about other topics by inserting political points.

I don't disagree. If I read one more Palin thread I might gouge out my own eyes. But if people want to discuss it then I think they should be allowed.

As much as I like Sarah Palin I have to agree with you there. I really don't want to read any more posts about her so I've just got to ignore them. I vow to start exercising some self-control over what I read.

Well, maybe its partly that I have trouble ignoring them; but, even when I do ignore them, I feel like there is so little else going on here! I used to come on, and there was so much, I couldn't keep up with it all! Now, I can sit here and look and look and not find anything to respond to! (I DO spend too much time here!)

You know, my tendency is to continue to read and post on political threads but I'm going to think about it. For the last year I've posted only at the curr. board and only occasionally lurked here. Since I've started posting on political threads I've gotten reprimanded and possibly alienated some nice people.

I think I don't take political disagreements as seriously as other people because as a poli sci major I got used to getting into heated debates in class and then (usually) having to let it go outside of class. My best friend in college is now the treasurer for Hillary Clinton. We disagreed on just about all things political. We just didn't talk about it outside of class. I tend to compartmentalize it.

But, I'd rather get along with people and staying away from political threads might be best because I really need this board for guidance in home schooling.

Edited to add:

Just to be totally clear, my point is not that other people shouldn't take politics so seriously. My point is that I have been too glib. I haven't taken it seriously enough.

I tend to avoid the politics threads, for the most part.

Some seem to start out innocently with mature, well thought-out discussions. But all it takes is one hit-and-run poster (and there's always one) to turn a thread toward something ugly. I hate that once I'd read a snarky, snide, condescending sentence I cannot unread it.

I absolutely avoid posts with blatantly controversial subject lines. (e.g. "Look! Nude Obama photos!" or "Here's proof that McCain plans to ban raspberry Jell-O, with or without fruit!") Or ones that pretend to ask an innocent question. (e.g. "Please no flames... but what's this I hear about Hillary Clinton wearing men's pajamas?")

I agree with Remudamom (I think) and come here for lighter topics. No one is going to change anyone else's mind on politics or heavy issues by posting on a message board. And honestly, sometimes the more I learn about a poster's politics, the less credence I give to their posts.

I absolutely avoid posts with blatantly controversial subject lines. (e.g. "Look! Nude Obama photos!" or "Here's proof that McCain plans to ban raspberry Jell-O, with or without fruit!") Or ones that pretend to ask an innocent question. (e.g. "Please no flames... but what's this I hear about Hillary Clinton wearing men's pajamas?")

:lol:

But, you're just kidding about the photos, right? Just checking.

Mom to Aly, I completely agree with what you're saying. I can't seem to not read the political threads, but then I always regret reading them! I haven't gotten involved nearly as much as my first impulse would have driven me to, but even when I have gotten involved, I've almost universally regretted it. I hope I didn't offend anyone or cross the line, but even if I haven't, I just regret the tension that it seems to bring to this community that I have enjoyed so much before this political season started. I certainly support the rights of others to talk politics though, if they wish to, so I think I'm just going to have to find the self-control to NOT READ THE THREADS.

I know you can ignore certain users, but I have no wish to do that. Is there a way to ignore certain threads?

I may read the first few posts in a political thread, but that's about it. I simply choose not to get involved in those conversations because it just seems like everyone is trying to change the other person's mind. And of course no one's mind is going to be changed.

It would be much better (imo) if posters could agree to disagree politically and just move on instead of beating that poor dead horse...

Well, honestly, I don't think politics bleeds from thread to thread. So as long a Ms. Susan allows it, I'll indulge. I have no other outlet for this discussion, not even my dh. It's beneficial to me, and I hope that so far I've self-censored when necessary and apologized when I neglected to do so.

I prefer a different (and equally grownup) route.

So I'll pass, but I promise not to intrude on any chatting you do about other topics by inserting political points.

:iagree:

As much as I love a good discussion on which vacuum cleaner is the best, I also come here for the meatier topics as well. I find the women (and men) here to be very intelligent and I learn so much from reading your posts. I would hate for the entire board to be completely watered down.

My feelings about this board are changing quickly.

:iagree:I've GREATLY cut down on my time spent here and my participation. I don't come here for politics and, even though I enjoy the diversity in this group, I cannot stand it. When I do post lately it's on threads that are neutral and I'm only doing that to stay part of the group.

Instead of fun, coming here feels more and more like work. I have enough of that. :confused:

I know you can ignore certain users, but I have no wish to do that. Is there a way to ignore certain threads?

No, that has been discussed, no way to ignore whole threads.

My best friend from high school calls me almost every night, and I am almost always on here when she calls--I'll be typing away, and she knows it is about something political. She is a huge blank supporter, and she'll be sitting there saying "You go, girl"--I tell her I am the "Voice of reason", because there are many blank supporters (hey, trying not to get something started here ;)), and that is why I do it, I get on and read some political stuff, and feel like I need to counteract that--when I see inflammatory titles to threads I feel it is my duty! So, I get into it, then I go back, and back again... I just can't do it anymore!

I'm tired of the politics or psuedo-politics here--I feel it is a mirror of what is going on in the real world, the gossip and innuendo, the falsehoods that so many take as real with no proof. I got a comment with rep tonight (as long as I don't say which rep it is OK, right? And I'm not asking for any rep to make up for it, I have plenty, don't worry ;))--it said my "bias was disgusting", & I was "completely uninformed"--I love looking at my nice comments on my rep when I am down--that is what I have been looking at for the last hour--not cheering me up!!! And not even about the election, but something about Bush that is old news!

So, if nothing else, how about anyone here that agrees tries to stick to other threads--let's try to keep some good ones rolling. And if we see each other on political ones, we can kick each other off (we really need a butt kicking smillie!!! Who could invent that?)

I don't come here for politics and, even though I enjoy the diversity in this group, I cannot stand it. When I do post lately it's on threads that are neutral and I'm only doing that to stay part of the group. Instead of fun, coming here feels more and more like work. I have enough of that. :confused:

Amy,

This is part of the pain of living in a democracy.

This too shall pass. I promise. By November, it will all be over.

Until 2012. :-(

SWB

I gave up reading the political threads a couple of weeks ago after reading posts that made me view people differently. I have posted with a lot of them for yrs and I didn't want political hype to make me focus on that single side vs the whole person (hard to do in the virtual world. )

I have started hanging out on the K-8 and high school boards instead. It was either that not read the forum at all.

The political threads absolutely lack WTM discourse quality. :(

So, the option to hang out on the other boards is there. :)

I understand others wanting to discuss the current political issues, however, I too steer clear of those boards. I get enough political debate from my boss - often ending with him screaming his point of view at me and me slamming the door of his office on my way out.

This happened to me the other day, but it was my aunt, after three hrs. of her ranting, I could take it no more, so I said quietly, I dont believe in politics and she hung up.

I gave up reading the political threads a couple of weeks ago after reading posts that made me view people differently. I have posted with a lot of them for yrs and I didn't want political hype to make me focus on that single side vs the whole person (hard to do in the virtual world. )

I have started hanging out on the K-8 and high school boards instead. It was either that not read the forum at all.

The political threads absolutely lack WTM discourse quality. :(

So, the option to hang out on the other boards is there. :)

I hadn't thought of the other boards--good idea!

Part of what got me was that I realized some of what I read today did give me pause--I was about to rep someone and then I remembered something she put on a political thread, and I almost didn't, just because I didn't like her political view--I don't want that to change how I see her. I have learned, more than anything except religion, not to get into politics with friends in real life, even though, or, I guess, especially because I am so passionate about it. I need to do the same thing here.

Like Susan, bless her heart and soul, invited us all in because she thought all her homeschooling friends should get to know one another.

So here we are all as *guests,* and we have some obligations. We are obliged to be entertaining, polite, interesting, kind, and generous spirited. We should not talk to much or too little. We should not belittle other guests. We should avoid insulting others. We should avoid saying ungracious things about our husbands, children, mothers and presidents, though sometimes we still will.

But because this is an intimate setting of close friends (or soon to be close friends), and because most of you had a few Mikes before you even showed up, we can and will talk a little about sex, politics, and religion. We can even disagree, but politely, on those subjects. The minute the hostess starts looking nervous, though, we should change the subject.

And if, God forbid, the hostess actually has to ask us to cool it because we are being obnoxious, the only remedy is to send flowers and a contrite apology the next day.

So if we can't afford to send the flowers, we must bite our tongues:)

I understand how you feel. I've had to back off for a few days. I have read some political posts, and wanted to respond, but have refrained. I don't want to have hard feelings with anyone. I think it has been good to discuss our different views...it's just when it gets ugly, and gets ugly quickly...well, it seems to go nowhere. At least November will be here soon enough. ;)

Like Susan, bless her heart and soul, invited us all in because she thought all her homeschooling friends should get to know one another.

So here we are all as *guests,* and we have some obligations. We are obliged to be entertaining, polite, interesting, kind, and generous spirited. We should not talk to much or too little. We should not belittle other guests. We should avoid insulting others. We should avoid saying ungracious things about our husbands, children, mothers and presidents, though sometimes we still will.

But because this is an intimate setting of close friends (or soon to be close friends), and because most of you had a few Mikes before you even showed up, we can and will talk a little about sex, politics, and religion. We can even disagree, but politely, on those subjects. The minute the hostess starts looking nervous, though, we should change the subject.

And if, God forbid, the hostess actually has to ask us to cool it because we are being obnoxious, the only remedy is to send flowers and a contrite apology the next day.

:iagree:Great way to look at the situation.

I don't post alot, but do spend a bit of time reading here. I have carefully avoided posting on any and all political threads and do my best to avoid even reading them because when I do I can feel my blood pressure going up. On the off chance I feel the need to post on one I close my laptop lid get off my butt and do something else for awhile. Magically the need disapears. I respect too many of the regular posters here to even go there.

I learned a few years ago that religion and politics should not be dicussed in polite company, and although I fail at times I do my best to avoid it.

I agree, I want to be nice. I am trying to be nice. I am about to get TMJ from clenching my teeth so hard. But I am rather surprised that you are saying this, when you have been the one who has been one of the most inflammatory posters, IMO. I'm sorry to say, but I have had to have you on my ignore list for some time, only recently did I take you off (curiosity, you know). Phred, well, I guess he's off my list for other reasons. I'm sorry, but it smacks of passive-aggressive tendencies to be so fired up in so many political posts and then turn around and want to be all nicey-nice. Feel free to add me to your ignore list if you are so inclined. And if you're wondering, I have never given you negative rep.

~Dana

On a parenting forum I read, during the last election they set up a temporary subforum for political discussions. That made it a lot easier to avoid getting sucked in, because the political threads weren't mixed in with non-political chatter. After the election and election talk died down, that subforum went away. I wonder if that's a possibility here?

On a parenting forum I read, during the last election they set up a temporary subforum for political discussions. That made it a lot easier to avoid getting sucked in, because the political threads weren't mixed in with non-political chatter. After the election and election talk died down, that subforum went away. I wonder if that's a possibility here?

That has already been given an emphatic no.

And I'm getting more than a little discouraged at the number of them I have to wade through to find some thoughtful contributions.

But when someone tries to shout down rational conversation, the rational participants shouldn't shut up. They should just move away and try to start their conversation again. There's always a jerk trying to shut down conversations he doesn't like or can't understand. I'm not in favor of letting the jerks rule the world.

And I'm getting more than a little discouraged at the number of them I have to wade through to find some thoughtful contributions.

But when someone tries to shout down rational conversation, the rational participants shouldn't shut up. They should just move away and try to start their conversation again. There's always a jerk trying to shut down conversations he doesn't like or can't understand. I'm not in favor of letting the jerks rule the world.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

That has already been given an emphatic no.

Bummer.

Oh, yes. Yes, please.

I usually love discussions about big important topics, ones I about which I care passionately. I love to hear other points of view, to stretch my understanding of the world and my awareness of other lenses through which it can be viewed, but I haven't felt that way about our current political threads. Perhaps many of us, on all sides, just feel there is too much at stake, and most of us, as one recent poll here showed, have already made up our minds, with great fervor, and aren't, imho, really hearing each other...

I think you've hit the nail on the head, here. Unfortunately, there is very little actual conversation, or productive argument. Most of us have made up our minds, are passionate about our decision, and ... oooh, I'll stop there. But at any rate, little actual listening, or open-minded consideration. There is no point of any of that.

I like debate, but I am sickened by discourtesy and disrespect

I am always the optimist...I appreciate that SWB allows these discourses because it really does open our eyes/ears to issues that we really don't get exposure to...sure, I'd like to believe that everyone is as down to earth and common-sensical as me :D (working on humility)...but I come from a different place than each and every one of you, I haven't walked in your steps...I haven't made your decisions...therefore, I can't predict your positions and convictions...

With homeschooling, we tend to be even more sheltered...in high school, I was exposed to such a variety of folks...but when I look back, those varieties were not so disparate...most had parents who had been married to one person for 20+ years, I never knew anyone with divorced parents all through high school..I know, amazing (and I'm only 41). The nuclear family was much more nuclear, I knew several of my friends grandparents/aunts/uncles...but nowadays, my children know about one or two families who have relatives living in the same town.

Now with homeschooling, my children are in the same 'atmosphere'...we don't know of any of their friends who don't have both parents raising them and I'm trying really hard to think of any who have divorced...nope, out of their 25+ friends...none are divorced. I do have relatives that have divorced...so yes, they do have 2nd cousins that have one parent raising them so they do know of families. We don't have our grandparents close...within a days drive but still not the same.

I can easily understand the different points of views, and even their hostility...you have a lot of children who are now adults that have had to experience a lot of disappointment in their life. I've had some very rough spots in my life but I've always had the strength of my family and loved ones to hold on to and ultimately my faith. On both sides of the coin, we're all reaching a point in our world where we have so much information coming at us and we have to just sit and take it in, we can't express our outrage to the radio while driving, or the anger from reading another child has died from a parent leaving it in a hot car (forgetting they had a child in there), or the angst we feel at the gas pump or when our mortgage (or mortgages for those like me that have 2 house payments!:tongue_smilie:)..so when we come to these boards we want so much to show others how we feel, and sometimes if met with opposition that just inflames our frustrations more and we're human, we act out with words....

SWB is there to correct us when we let it overcome our code of decency....thank you SWB...but I don't think I can say I've had enough, it helps me to be more sympathetic to the inner struggles many face...many which I've not been exposed to on such a personal level. Yes, I've volunteered at soup kitchens and nursing homes and was a Big Sister to a very troubled family with three girls...I've been "exposed" but in my day to day homeschooling life....it is sheltered from a lot of the challenges others have had to deal with.

Tara

I know that most of you guys have been around long enough to remember that this happens every four years!! There are cycles. We get cranky. We disagree heartily. We complain about how the boards have changed. We laugh. We cry. We argue about Halloween. We get up in arms. We defend people. We ignore people. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Honestly, I skip political topics. A couple that I did read and really enjoyed were the one that asks what a democrat truly believes (or something like that). That was helpful for me to hear the heart of people. I didn't agree with all of them, but I enjoyed that thread. I also liked the thread about what you appreciate about the other party. But, the rest of it, I just skim right over!!

I know that most of you guys have been around long enough to remember that this happens every four years!! There are cycles. We get cranky. We disagree heartily. We complain about how the boards have changed. We laugh. We cry. We argue about Halloween. We get up in arms. We defend people. We ignore people. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

So political PMS only happens every four years? :lol::lol::lol:

In the 10 or so years since I've been coming to the WTM boards, I have learned from experts, been comforted by friends, been agreed with, disagreed with. I have talked with witches and Christians; Catholics and Muslims. I have prayed for people who turned out to be fakes; I have cried with women who have lost their husbands. I have learned of the "best" curriculum to try with my struggling math student, and I have recommended books that work for us. I have gone from a newbie homeschooler who was afraid to take risks to a veteran, relaxed and ready to advise newcomers. I have had posts deleted that were made in anger. I've had to take breaks because I found myself too emotionally charged over something a stranger said. I have met a neighbor that I didn't know I had. I have been blessed by the generosity of others, and I have had the opportunity to give away books and curricula that would bless others.

I have received advice on washing machines, dishwashers, laminate floors, and computers. I've collected recipes and have submitted some myself. I have suffered the diagnosis of lupus, the birth of a perfect daughter after the birth of a son with no left hand, an extremely (emotionally) painful miscarriage, a move across the country, and the birth of a third child -- all with the people on this board. I have prayed and been prayed for.

My vocabulary has changed. BooKs and booKshelves, bean dip, etc. all have new meanings. And I'll *NEVER* forget the story of the woman who was seen naked by the UPS or FedEx guy (can't remember which, but she had JUST gotten out of the shower).

Regardless of what the PTB decided to call this place, I'd be here. The name does not define me. The opinions are not taken as gospel. I ask, receive input, think it through, and DECIDE FOR MYSELF. Whether it's math, science, a recipe, or vacuum cleaners, I DECIDE FOR MYSELF.

Call it what you will, this place has been wonderful. I doubt my 11 years of homeschooling would have been as terrific as they have without my experiences here. I'm not a sheep; I'm not blind; I'm not ignorant.

I'm just grateful. And I'm not alone.

from WTM Boards/Hive, 4-7-08