Menu

A poll: Updated

MooCow

What would you choose  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you choose: Atlant or Gatlinburg ?.

• Gatlinburg
    • Atlanta

Both places for 6 nights? Does either hotel have a pool? Does either hotel offer breakfast, and if so, what? Does either hotel have a kitchenette? How often will you be in the room? How much is admission to the museums/aquarium (the local aquarium costs $140 for my family of 4 to attend, so you can see why I ask). Can you travel a bit outside of Atlanta and find cheaper restaurants (Pizza Hut or something like that)? Can you do some research and find more tourist things to do in G? What is the exact difference in price between the two hotels? Under $100 or well over $100 total?

I'd need to weigh all of those things to come up with an answer. :)

• Like 3

I voted Gatlinburg because that's what I would enjoy more. I've been to both - I was born in Atlanta and have lots of family nearby and we did a week in Gatlinburg a little over a year ago. Atlanta is nice, but Gatlinburg is really pretty. And a longer vacation seems positive to me. Plus, the aquarium is surprisingly good.

However, I think part of my answer is colored by the fact that I live in a city and do city things a lot. If you live in country and the cultural elements of a city are calling you, do Atlanta. Depending on the age of your kids, Fernbank is a great science center. The zoo is pretty good. There's good ethnic food to be had. There's plenty to do in Atlanta...

• Like 2

Gatlinburg, because I wouldn't want to support an aquarium that keeps dolphins and wild-caught beluga whales in concrete pools. These sensitive, intelligent animals are separated from their families and forced to perform tricks. It's really very shameful.  :( 

• Like 2

I would probably opt for 6 days over 3 just because a long weekend never gives me enough time to really feel like I've had a break. Cheaper accommodations don't bother me. Tight food budgets can get on my nerves. I don't want to spend a vacation eating peanut butter sandwiches in a hotel. We have to at least be able to afford Taco Bell! But, so much of this is individual! What do you want to do?!? Will getting home right before Christmas be super stressful?

• Like 1

Why does the aquarium give you a headache?

Eta: also which one would be less crowded?

Kids will be with us

I once described it as an arcade setting--see this thread. The aquarium plays music and has a lot of neon lights. And it's crowded. And a lot of exhibits have a small viewing area. And it's crowded. And the neon lights . . . Oh, and I have vertigo so the exhibit where you ride the moving sidewalk through the tunnel where you're surrounded by the tank--which is really cool to most people--was so disorienting I felt like I was going to throw up. But that's just me. My dd loved the aquarium and couldn't wait to go again. The dolphin show was pretty good except for the part where the actors/story detracted from seeing the dolphins do all their cool tricks.

I've not been to the new Coke museum so I can't say if I'd enjoy it. Honestly, I don't go into ATL that much because I hate driving there.

Gatlinburg can get quite crowded too. Whenever we go we try to spend as much time in the park as we can. I hear Dollywood is great, but we've actually never gone there or any of the museums because for us it's all about the park. Are you wanting to do the touristy things in and around Gatlinburg--it's very touristy--or see some big city attractions? If you're not planning to spend much time at the park I'd recommend Atlanta over Gatlinburg because the attractions in ATL sound more appealing to me (in spite of my negative feelings about the aquarium :p ).

• Like 1

Ah! Ok, knowing the time differences (3 in Atlanta and 6 in G) and the fact that you'll spend the same amount no matter where you go makes a difference.

The 6 day vacation, hands down. Three days is not enough to really unwind. In that short of a time period, you'll have to rush, rush, rush to get things done and you'll be exhausted.

But six days means you can spread out all the things you want to do over a nice leisurely timeframe. You can spend an entire afternoon in the pool if you like without feeling like you're wasting the time. You can schedule a little downtime if the kids need it. (My kids need downtime, but that's not true for everyone, of course.)

Six days means you can sleep in a day or two without thinking, "We're wasting time! Everyone get up! We have to go, now!"

• Like 3

Oh, I just saw your update about the length of your stay in each place. I take back the recommendation to go to ATL. If you can only afford 3 days there it would be too much of a whirlwind to be much fun. I'd prefer to spend a few more days because that would give me more days in the park. And visiting the park can take a long time because there is so much driving. But it's beautiful in all seasons and there are enough hikes and overlooks for the whole family to enjoy.

Someone mentioned a cabin. We stayed in one a few years ago and it was great. And no 4x4 needed. I can't remember the name of the place but there were a number of cabins--each different--with a central pool. You do need to do more cleaning than with a hotel room but there is so much more space and depending on when you go you can get a whole cabin for the same price as a hotel room.

ETA: the cabin also came with a washer/dryer which was a big help--didn't have to pack as much stuff to bring.

• Like 1

I live in the Atlanta area. I would choose Gatlinburg. It's beautiful and inexpensive. I personally like the aquarium there much better than the one here. You can find quite a bit to do there or just relax. I'm not outdoorsy and I loved it there.

I know you plan on walking as much as possible but Atlanta isn't really a walking city. Everything is too spread out so you more than likely have to drive everywhere, anyway.

• Like 2

I didn't vote.

I would have a very difficult time choosing--I'm a "luxuries" girl; the nicer hotel in Atlanta would really factor in. However, it also takes me a while to start relaxing and feeling like I'm on vacation, so 3 days wouldn't do it. Honestly, I'd probably delay the trip a year so I could spend 6 days in Atlanta, but I understand that given your circumstances, with the holidays and missing loved ones, you want to go now. In that case, I guess ... Gatlinburg, assuming the hotel was nice enough that I'd feel comfortable in it.

• Like 1

I picked Atlanta, simply because my days of getting the cheapest hotel are over. I guess I'm just less tolerant now, but I don't want to stay in bare-bones hotels anymore. Also, I like visiting aquariums.

• Like 3

Normally I would pick Gatlinburg over Atlanta but because of the time of year I would choose Atlanta for this trip. There's the possibility of snow in the mountains which means that the scenic roads will be closed. We did a trip to Asheville at the end of October and it was getting very cold. The day after we left it snowed and they closed down the road that we had been driving on all week.

• Like 1

I'd go to Atlanta. I love that aquarium. My family spent almost a full day (7 hours) there a few years ago.

3 days in a nice place sounds more relaxing than 6 days in a cheap place trying to find cheap activities and cheap food. Doing cheap things would probably mean having to skip the aquarium there (ripleys) which is supposed to be good. If I'm on vacation I don't want to constantly figure out if something is in our budget.

I'd rather not gone home two days before Christmas. We have a few small traditions for Christmas and I like to spread them out and enjoy the holiday at home in a relaxed manner.

• Like 2

Hotel rooms don't matter to me because we do little else but sleep in them. Food budget doesn't matter to me, because we generally eat as cheaply as possible aside from one or two 'special' meals on holidays. Cheap activities don't bother me, they're often more fun than expensive ones, though if there was something I especially wanted to do I'd probably try really really hard to incorporate it despite expense. 

OTOH, more days are better to me, just being away from home, doing something different, even if it's just exploring a new place. 6 days beats 3 easily. I'd almost always opt for more time over anything else

• Like 1

I voted Gatlinburg in this situation.

Excluding the "near a holiday" portion, I have done Atlanta the way you described & I live near enough to G'burg that we can easily spend a day there.

Do you have an idea what types of activities you'd be interested in? 

I only ask b/c Gatlinburg activities can be costly. 

Obviously, hiking, mountain drives & the like will be free, but if you're looking to fill some time with paid activites, they will add up super fast.

Dollywood at Christmas is so beautiful. There are also lots of decorations & lights throughout Gatlinburg & PF. There is a trolley that runs around so hanging out in G'burg at the holidays has a very quaint feel about it :). The mountains are especially crisp & clear from now through the winter. Ober Gatlinburg offers snow activities such as ice skating & snow tubing.

If you shop around, you may be able to find a little cabin or condo for a more reasonable price than you might think!

Have fun whatever you decide!

• Like 1

If you decide on Atlanta, and you stay in a hotel right by Centennial Olympic Park, or just park there, there a many things to walk to. The aquarium, World of Coke, CNN Center, and the Civil Rights Center are all right there. Oh, and Skyview, the Ferris wheel. You can also catch the Atlanta Streetcar for free and ride to the King Historic District (museum, his home, Ebeneezer Baptist Chirch) and Sweet Auburn Market for lunch. The Civil Rights Center is very powerful. World Of Coke is a fun big ad for Coke.

• Like 1

Gatlinburg because of the scenery. We've been to both and enjoyed them but I feel no desire to return to Atlanta for several days (although we do have to drive through often which may influence my response). I could return to the Gatlinburg area several times, though.

We went to Gatlinburg once for the holidays and it was a lot of fun, especially the Christmas themed shows.

• Like 1

I'd pick the longer vacation, but I really don't know that I would want to spend 6 days in Gatlinburg. 😉 I'm from Atlanta. The aquarium is not all that. I much prefer Chattanooga's. Coke is...well, marginally interesting if you like Atlanta history and want to sample lots of sodas. It's not a destination in and of itself. Staying down in Centennial Park area is expensive. The restaurants in walking distance aren't very good but are higher priced. The nicer hotel would be a plus too, but you could get nicer/cheaper in Atlanta by staying outside of the Centennial Park zone.

• Like 1

Any recommendations for hotels/restaurants?

I don't know many hotels, but I'd be glad to look at contenders online re: traffic and your planned activities. Restaurants, definitely. Just tell me what you like and where you'll be. :)

A poster named sheryl had a thread or two on an Atlanta trip last year or the year before that might be helpful. Have you looked at the CityPass?

• Like 1