Menu

Strange paperwork at dentist office

Cottonwood

I know it's not new and I know a small child can answer the questions etc.  But why do dentists do it when other medical professions do not?  Our family physician always addresses questions to the kids if they can talk. I only pipe up if they can't answer it. I often feel like I don't need to be there.  But I know that many doctors feel like it is part of working with the family. You see the kids and parents together because it is a family practice. 

If it is a family practice, why do dentists want to treat kids in isolation? What is the point of excluding parents? I understand the room might be small etc. But it must be of some value to the dentists because they are willing to make it policy in the face of losing patients. Why cling to it? Why not do what the patient wants?

Honestly, I can't think of any other profession that routinely excludes parents from their child's care, even when it is against the wishes of the child.  My kid had surgery and I was invited into the room...not that I wanted to be there, lol. But if they get their teeth cleaned I can't be in the room when they want me to be? 

It's just odd to me that many dentists feel so comfortable making this demand on their patients.

Well, I personally don't have a problem with parents there as long as they don't speak over the child.  There is not chair for parents in our rooms.  Parents stand outside the room out of the child's view-just how our operatories are set up. The way the privacy laws work in our state is that it violates other patient's rights to have various people who are not patients hanging around the halls and hearing their appointments.  Our dentist prefers not having parents back, but will allow in most circumstances.  I think for him it is easier to make a blanket rule than deal with the handful of parents who are the worst offenders.(I caught a parent looking through the computer patient files when I stepped out to grab something!)

My ds2 just had OP surgery and I was not allowed past intake.  I thought this was normal for surgery?  I am not that familiar with it.

I don't accompany my kids to the eye dr either.  I do go back at the dr for exams and sickness though.  The rooms have doors that close and undressing occurs.  That's what I see as the difference, I guess.

At our office, parents are far from excluded.  They are a very important part and are treated with much respect.   

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, you should be able to find someone who can do things in line with how you want them done.  You are the customer for one thing.

We had to try a few people, but the current place is very good.  They don't force stuff or restrain people.  If things aren't going well, yes the visit is over and we come back.  Most procedures are not in fact dire.  They have tiny microscopic offices and still let parents come back there.  After going back there a couple of times I felt comfortable to stop going in there.  Everyone is different.  Nobody knows each person's circumstances and what will work.  I was abused by a doctor as a child so yes I do have trouble with these things.  If you make me sign a paper giving you free reign to do what you want, we are going to have a problem.  No way.  This just sets one up with the bad feeling that you aren't going to be treated as an individual and it is all about the comfort of the dentist.  Nope..not happening.  Maybe that works fine for some adults, but they are free to choose their own dentists.  Kids are relying on you to choose the dentist.  Medical personnel are not the ultimate authority figures. 

• Like 2

I would not accept that, and I'd not let them work on my child (beyond what you did, which seems perfectly reasonable in your urgent need).

It seems bizarre and horrifying. No way, no how.

My only supposition is that the office handles a lot of "free" gov't insured patients and, so, is used to being able to dictate to clients who have little choice in the matter.

In any event, I'd never set foot there again, and I'd let them know exactly why, just in case any person in charge has a bout of sanity and might reconsider their bizarre business practices.

FWIW, my kids and I have all had plenty of dental work, including a significant dental injury in one kid when she was under 8, requiring repeat visits for extraction, etc. Never, ever, has anyone had any difficulty getting my kid to cooperate, and I've always been able to be present with a SEAT, lol.

Your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Our kindly pediatric dentist is always booked up way ahead, except for true emergencies.

• Like 1

I'm the only one restraining my kid!

There are some kids who are far outside the norm that may require special circumstances. My child is non-verbal, about at the level of an infant, can't understand explanations, is blind and is thus tactile and can be pretty sensitive, etc. Yet she needs her teeth cleaned. I am very thankful for our fantastic peds dental office where my kids are scheduled over the noon hour so no one else is there, I hold dd's arms down while a hygienist holds her head while another cleans her teeth, dd is writhing and screaming, and we all just do what we need to do to get it over with as quickly as possible. I can't imagine anyone besides me even knowing how to work with dd to make this work. But this shouldn't be needed for most kids!

That's scary. I've always gone into the room with my kids and our dentist and hygienists have been fine with that. After seeing a news story today about a dental assistant arrested for abusing two little girls during exams, I'd be even more wary of a practice that has rules against parents accompanying their kids.

Edited to add a link to the article. http://ktla.com/2015/09/17/childrens-dental-assistant-arrested-in-santa-ana-after-allegedly-sexually-assaulting-two-girls-under-10-years-old/

• Like 4

There are dentists here, I'm told, who don't allow parents back with kids. I don't allow my child to go places I can't see with people I don't know, so I haven't been to those practices.

I have never heard of the voice & restraint stuff. Here if a kid truly can't handle being still through a dental visit, you make a separate appointment to do it under anesthesia.

• Like 1

No way would I have my child in that office. Ick. I've seen the no parent rule, which I do avoid. I've never seen anything like that list though.

My only supposition is that the office handles a lot of "free" gov't insured patients and, so, is used to being able to dictate to clients who have little choice in the matter. 

You may be right. That thought makes me sick.

• Like 3

Agree with the others, red flags.  No way.  You are signing over rights and control.  

Does my dentist sometimes as me to wait out in the lobby?  Yes.  But only after they had established a relationship with my children did they ever even suggest it, I did not sign any form, and if my child asks me to remain I am allowed.  I have a nice cushy seat, too.  

DS has sensory issues.  It is very hard for him to have any sort of dental procedure done.  They have been really kind and considerate regarding how to handle more extensive things like a filling.  He has to be cocooned.  They walked him through the procedure, showed him the cocoon netting, let me stay with him as they wrapped him carefully in the netting, talked softly and soothingly to him the entire time, smiled gently, reassured him at every turn and he made it through.

And our ortho asked that the parent, if available, sit with the child so that the parent could also hear instructions and if there were any issues was right there to hear and see and to help with ideas for addressing any issues.  Parent was provided a comfortable chair.  All they asked was that cell phones be turned off.  If a child really couldn't handle the situation, they were given time to calm down, and in fact they had a couple of rooms with interesting stuff to look at, including geological formations, educational TV programs, etc. so the child could go in one of those rooms to try and feel better before attempting to get through a procedure.  I don't know what would happen if they couldn't calm down.  I didn't see that happen.

OP, that situation just seems really weird and inappropriate and you did the right thing.

• Like 1

My ds2 just had OP surgery and I was not allowed past intake.  I thought this was normal for surgery?  I am not that familiar with it.

Nope - not at all! My then 16 yo son had surgery at a hospital and the only place we could not go with him was nuclear medicine, and that was because they were using radioactive bips with him. He was by no means alone, though. His nurse went with him and there was a respiratory therapist with him as well. When he had surgery, we walked to the prep room with him, stayed with him and they asked him if he wanted one of us in the OR with him until he went to sleep. When he had follow up testing, the same thing. He was asked if he wanted us there until he went to sleep. I think with a younger child, they just would have assumed that a parent would go with them. 

• Like 4

Well, I personally don't have a problem with parents there as long as they don't speak over the child.  There is not chair for parents in our rooms.  Parents stand outside the room out of the child's view-just how our operatories are set up. The way the privacy laws work in our state is that it violates other patient's rights to have various people who are not patients hanging around the halls and hearing their appointments.    

This is how your dentist's office has chosen to set things up. All of these things can be easily fixed. Chairs can be added. If there is no physical room for a chair, the dentist needs to move his office (yes, that's expensive, so the dentist should think ahead when planning space). If people can overhear what is going on in other appointments, then the office needs to be changed. Doors, anyone? If they aren't there, they should be added. If they can't be added, then the dentist needs to relocate. Providing patient privacy isn't the responsibility of the patient or their parent, it is the responsibility of the dentist. 

• Like 7

Our dentist prefers not having parents back, but will allow in most circumstances.    

It should be noted by your dentist that it is not he who allows the parents, but the parents who allow him to treat their children. He has no legal standing to prevent a parent from being with their child. On the other hand, he can't treat that child without the parent's permission. To think otherwise is, quite frankly, arrogant. 

• Like 8

The more I think about this, the crazier it seems. I often think people on this board overreact a bit about standard medical questions or the like, calling things "invasive" and "offensive" that I think are fine. But this is just messed up. They want you to sign off on your child being yelled at and restrained at their discretion without any notice. Sometimes kids at the dentist do need to be mildly restrained at the dentist. I'm not patently against that. This is just so above and beyond.

• Like 5

The news story I saw about abuse in dental offices was BECAUSE the kids were gov insured and had no choice in the doctors they visited.  Looking at that form brought me right back to that story.  It made me nauseous.  I couldn't tell if anyone in the waiting room was gov insured.  But on the doc's website (how I found out about him) he does talk about his interest in helping out the community through participating in various programs so I think it's safe to assume he has gov insured patients.  

They didn't give me that appt b/c they HAD appts to give.  They were booked solid for over a month but I left my number in case of cancellation. So it's not like they were slow b/c people avoided the practice. They called when a slot opened after cancellation and I filled it.  The waiting room was very full and when I went back with DD to talk to the ortho, all 8 chairs were filled.  The exam room was one real big room where all the staff worked together.  The receptionist area was connected and viewable from that exam room as well.  All staff were in view of each other, so abuse would be much harder to hide in that setting.  But still.   .......    Once kids go through the door into the exam room, the parents cannot see them from the waiting room.  So ONLY the waiting room cannot view the exam room. 

I just cannot imagine filling out a form to allow all that to potentially happen to my child, then allow them to go through a door and be walled off from them under the conditions on the form.  I think doctors with these rules really open themselves right up for accusations and law suits.  I do struggle with how a dentist is supposed to deal with difficult dental situations and fears, but I can't wrap my head around how this dentist runs his practice.  And he has two children!  If they really had to employ certain practices to get the job done, at the VERY VERY VERY least, parents should be welcomed to assist in the process.  The only thing I can think of as to why they were so anti-parent in the exam area is because all patients are in clear view and hearing of one another so confidentiality is an issue when non patients are back there viewing and hearing others being treated.  

And the voice control thing did not mention yelling other than to say that volume would never change...giving me the impression that yelling would NOT be involved.  I don't think they would yell at the kids but were trying to enforce control and firmness.  In any case, my hinky meter went way up high and has stayed there ever since.  

We aren't staying in this area (staying with parents while DH interviews for jobs in surrounding towns) so unless issues arise, like this one, we don't need these services until we move to our permanent town.  I never intended on visiting this office again now that this issue is resolved.  But if something else arises, I will be choosing another office.  I'm actually angry with this practice now, a little more as time goes by.  Not less. LOL  I just...what...is the doctor thinking as he's drawing up that paperwork?  LIke..he is convinced this is ok in its entirety?  REALLY??   :confused1:  :glare:

Very common practice in my county in Florida. I don't know of a pedodontist in my area that would allow me, (a hygienist) to accompany my daughter, age 4 into the treatment room for fillings and extractions. I know, because I tried and that was with my very respected boss calling the pedodontists to ask if I could be in the room. They all said no. Fortunately, I have a DDS friend that works at the health dept and she allowed me to be in the room. (We paid out of pocket since we couldn't use our dental insurance at the health dept.)She asked if I wanted my daughter "papoosed" if she couldn't sit still or cried. I said no, we would do hospital dentistry with sedation instead of basically tying her down. My daughter did fine. I gave her Benadryl and Tylenol before the appt and that helped with relaxation and pain.

Pedodontist don't want parents in the rooms because, IMO, appts will take longer with having to chat with parents and having to have cooperation from the kids. If kids don't cooperate, and there are no parents in the room, the pedodontist will make sure the child cooperates, in whatever way possible, including using the papoose board. I worked as a dental assistant for a pedodontist before I became a hygienist. I saw many dental phobics being made in his chair daily. :(

I don't let me 4 year old go into the pediatrician by herself, why would I let my child go into the dentist by herself?

• Like 3

yeah, I don't think I WANT to go into the room where extractions and such are being done, but this was the EXAM room, or ..any room PAST the waiting room.  At no time were parents allowed past the waiting room.  The form didn't distinguish any of the services from the others but just spelled out practices done in the event of problems with the children.  The whole feel was very anti-parent and put me on alert.  Like.......WHY is it such a big deal what I see and where I am?  Outside of this office, the only other people who want to make sure children are separate and hidden from their parents are up to absolutely no good so my head is just not accepting THIS from a professional, even.

Very common practice in my county in Florida. I don't know of a pedodontist in my area that would allow me, (a hygienist) to accompany my daughter, age 4 into the treatment room for fillings and extractions. I know, because I tried and that was with my very respected boss calling the pedodontists to ask if I could be in the room. They all said no. Fortunately, I have a DDS friend that works at the health dept and she allowed me to be in the room. (We paid out of pocket since we couldn't use our dental insurance at the health dept.)She asked if I wanted my daughter "papoosed" if she couldn't sit still or cried. I said no, we would do hospital dentistry with sedation instead of basically tying her down. My daughter did fine. I gave her Benadryl and Tylenol before the appt and that helped with relaxation and pain.

Pedodontist don't want parents in the rooms because, IMO, appts will take longer with having to chat with parents and having to have cooperation from the kids. If kids don't cooperate, and there are no parents in the room, the pedodontist will make sure the child cooperates, in whatever way possible, including using the papoose board. I worked as a dental assistant for a pedodontist before I became a hygienist. I saw many dental phobics being made in his chair daily. :(

I don't let me 4 year old go into the pediatrician by herself, why would I let my child go into the dentist by herself?

I'm also in FL

Sorry, I would run from the office the OP describes and would look for another office over the one Janet describes.  We often set up to have all my kids cleaning done at once and I wander back to check on the younger ones. I have and would always be with them for any procedures (that would be scheduled without the other kids in the office).  Heck!  I've even been back with my husband for emergency dental procedures until I was sure he was comfortable and we knew what the plan of care was.  The dentist is completely on board with my being there at any point, otherwise I would find another dentist.  I don't ask to be addressed and I stay out of the appointments, but I'm there.  

I don't always go back with kids at the orthodontists, it depends on what they are doing, but it is always an option or we would be at another orthodontist.

This is really messed up. It's not common practice everywhere though. We've been to two dentists and both practices expected parents to come back.

• Like 1

I keep hearing on this forum about these wacky dentists that keep the parents out of the rooms.  That seems so bizarre to me!  Our dentist, ortho, eye dr., general practitioner, dermatologist, etc. have NEVER even suggested that we send our kids in alone.  We're always welcomed.  Your whole original post sends up more red flags than the Chinese army!  Run, don't walk, to another practice.

• Like 2

Without quoting...

I live in a very small town.  And I work in the same town.  Our patients are from our surrounding area.  My dentist grew up here and all the staff are from surrounding areas.  I have worked at other offices in other cities and all the offices have had similar policies.  I have never worked in an office with doors.  And I would refuse to!  I am alone in that room with kids and who knows what someone may say happened that did not.  Parents are told right up front-child cries, gets upset=no appointment. period.  Child refuses treatment=no appointment.  I will not take an unhappy, super nervous child back to a room.  I have had parents get loud with me when I say the appointment will have to be rescheduled.  Our doctor wants happy kids who want to be there.  Otherwise, it's time to go.  This is his choice and he gets to decide that.  He has a thriving business.  He sets the rules and is fine with people going elsewhere if they do not agree. Seems that other dentists share this outlook.

I realize other offices may be the evil, arrogant practices you all are imagining.  I can not speak to that.  Thought I would give the perspective of one office that requests parents remain in the waiting area.

It should be noted by your dentist that it is not he who allows the parents, but the parents who allow him to treat their children. He has no legal standing to prevent a parent from being with their child. On the other hand, he can't treat that child without the parent's permission. To think otherwise is, quite frankly, arrogant. 

A parent brings their child to our office.  They make the appointment. Once the child goes back we are allowed to perform xrays and cleanings or whatever the appointment was scheduled (per the informed consent signed by parents).Of course the dr is not going to prevent parents from being with their kids!  They can leave before the appointment at any time! We will not extract a child from a parent's arms.  No way.

I don't know what you mean by no legal standing?  Dr can dismiss a patient for not following office policy(or choose to not take them on as a patient.)

One of my children did just fine with a regular dentist all the way through.  He had no dental phobias and opened at the right times and spit and did all the right things.  The dentist allowed me to be there, though as he got older and there were no problems I stopped going back because he didn't need me there.  

One of my children had major anxiety.  The regular dentist was not the right choice for her.  He tried to manage her anxiety by speaking harshly to her.  I understand the safety needs but his approach was making things worse and I am glad that I was there to intervene for my child's sake.  He did suggest a good pediatric dentist and we moved her care to that office.  I hope that a dentist who finds himself unable to deal with a patient realizes that he needs to refer them to a different dentist who has the right set of skills and training  instead of blaming the child.  The pediatric dentist is skilled at dealing with children as well as dentistry and for kids with phobias or other problems it is very necessary.  We did have to give dd valium at first because her anxiety was so strong.  I paid extra a couple of times because she wasn't able to tolerate the work done all at once.  I think there needs to be teamwork between the parents and a good dentist.  In easy cases the teamwork isn't so noticable.  In harder cases the teamwork is very apparent.  

He does have the legal standing to refuse treatment if the parents don't agree to the rules of his practice.

I know it's not new and I know a small child can answer the questions etc. But why do dentists do it when other medical professions do not? Our family physician always addresses questions to the kids if they can talk. I only pipe up if they can't answer it. I often feel like I don't need to be there. But I know that many doctors feel like it is part of working with the family. You see the kids and parents together because it is a family practice.

If it is a family practice, why do dentists want to treat kids in isolation? What is the point of excluding parents? I understand the room might be small etc. But it must be of some value to the dentists because they are willing to make it policy in the face of losing patients. Why cling to it? Why not do what the patient wants?

Honestly, I can't think of any other profession that routinely excludes parents from their child's care, even when it is against the wishes of the child. My kid had surgery and I was invited into the room...not that I wanted to be there, lol. But if they get their teeth cleaned I can't be in the room when they want me to be?

It's just odd to me that many dentists feel so comfortable making this demand on their patients.

Exactly!

Not to mention that parents are told that they are to be following up on brushing until somewhere around 7 or 8 years old. I like being there and knowing how good of a job we did, and what's going on. I like seeing the X-rays. If I am a patient, I am shown my X-rays whether at a doctor or a dentist, and if my child has X-rays anywhere, they are shown to me. (Shrug). It's clearly a difference in philosophy and training between medical practice and some dental practices.

It's not even that I have a problem with my children going back without me for a filling or teeth cleaning after age 6 or so. Often they do. It's being told I am not allowed that doesn't fly with me. There are dental practices that don't allow parents to go back even with toddlers. It's ridiculous.

The orthodontic practices I have visited in my city have all had open treatment areas, where anyone can go back, and they of course mainly have teens as patients.

I'll add a oh, hell no. I don't go back with my kids at the dentist, but if I wanted to be there, I am allowed. My kids are not afraid of the dentist because their dentists don't yell at them and hold them down. :glare:  There is no door on the doorway going back to the exam/procedure rooms and the rooms are open cubicle rooms. Enough walls to give some privacy but no doors. Our dentists are friendly and great with kids. It's a small office, but they keep busy and I have to wait months for a tooth cleaning appointment.

It's just their way of saying "find a new dentist immediately."

I would be furious. :mad:

Yes!

I cancelled appointment after appointment until I found a dentist that would "allow" parents to accompany children.  Our dentist and orthodontist offices' both have an open floor plan.  I have made a point to foster a good relationship at both, and as such come and go as I please when my children are being worked on.  Now I rarely accompany them behind the scenes.  Tell me I can't?  No.  Just no.

• Like 1

This is really messed up. It's not common practice everywhere though. We've been to two dentists and both practices expected parents to come back.

I said in my county, in Florida. I had personal experience when I tried to go back with my daughter that I wasn't allowed back with her, even though I was a dental hygienist. I didn't think it would be a policy everywhere. :)

Not a chance in hell.

My pre-teenage children do not receive medical care without me or my husband present. (we also don't do routine cleanings in Australia though, I suppose I could see that after building up a relationship with the dentist for regular visits, but I'd still be present for fillings etc)

But, in Australia, or at least my part of it, they have the dental vans that go from school to school, and kids are pulled out of class for the dentist, so most see them without parents. I was a good patient, so I'm not sure what happened to more anxious kids. 

The more I think about this, the crazier it seems. I often think people on this board overreact a bit about standard medical questions or the like, calling things "invasive" and "offensive" that I think are fine. But this is just messed up. They want you to sign off on your child being yelled at and restrained at their discretion without any notice. Sometimes kids at the dentist do need to be mildly restrained at the dentist. I'm not patently against that. This is just so above and beyond.

Yep.  It's all about the convenience of the dentist's wants/needs.  I get that some patients are annoying and uncooperative, but then don't go into dentistry if you don't like dealing with people.

• Like 2

Without quoting...

Our doctor wants happy kids who want to be there. 

I almost spit out my drink.  Who is happy about going to the dentist and wants to be there?  I think dentists would go out of business with those kinds of expectations.  LOL

Not that I don't get what you are really probably saying, but it struck me funny.

• Like 2

That office is not just a "no" but a "heck no!"

Our pediatric dentist doesn't allow parents back usually.  The kids all go to a large room with many chairs, video games and toys.  Its like one big dental party.  When ds was little and would be restless or scared they would come get me to sit with him. The kids see the same hygienist each time.  There are separate treatment rooms.  I'm not sure if parents go into the treatment rooms or not. My children LOVE going to the dentist.  DD thinks its unfair they only get to go twice a year and I usually end up carrying out a crying ds because he doesn't want to leave.  The last survey they sent out I asked if it could be a little less fun so the children would want to leave. :lol:

I almost spit out my drink.  Who is happy about going to the dentist and wants to be there?  I think dentists would go out of business with those kinds of expectations.  LOL

Not that I don't get what you are really probably saying, but it struck me funny.

Kids!  Kids in our practice love to come.  Again, we don't accept kids who are crying or upset.  We will not have a kid upset with his appointment.  That is our doctor's preference.  We are a general practice.  Pedodontist offices were designed to handle those kids.

Our dentist is excellent and I am always invited in for hygiene, exam, orthodontist, and extraction visits.  The only times I've not been in the room throughout a procedure was when my kids had general anesthesia for extractions at an oral surgeon - I was allowed in until the meds kicked in, but went to the waiting room for the actual procedure.

Kids! Kids in our practice love to come. Again, we don't accept kids who are crying or upset. We will not have a kid upset with his appointment. That is our doctor's preference. We are a general practice. Pedodontist offices were designed to handle those kids.

See...I think this office is designed to be where the upset/unruly kids are sent as well. I can see laying some ground rules when ur practice is the one doing that. The sign out front says Pediatric Dentistry. It's the nature of the ground rules that upsets me.

And for the record, even before we went, I didnt intend to return. We are very temporarily living here and needed a doc to just peek in on/bend back her retainer. I was moreso wondering if my level of upsetness was over reacting. Cause man, I was pissed.