Menu

Help for weight loss. How?

SharonM

I need to lose at least 75 pounds. I am very unhappy with my weight and the limitations that are becoming more and more apparent. But when I start a "diet" or "lifestyle change" I get horrible cravings for all the stuff that I no longer want to eat. I have a huge list of the programs and books that I have purchased (and $$ wasted) that haven't worked.

How did you, or do you conquer the cravings? I have to get a handle on this.

TIA

• Like 1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't claim huge success--I'm like you in that I get cravings.

But what has given me *any success at all* is WW online.  This is, I think, because there is nothing I can't eat at all, and because I get the constant reminder of the entering of food to keep me on track.

It allows unlimited veggies and whole fruits, with a few exceptions, so I tend to fill up more on things like cherry tomatoes and apricots and less on crackers.

The way I manage it is never to let myself get all that hungry, skip breakfast (except for coffee.  Cold dead hands and all that.), and drink lots of water and herbal tea, and eat those fresh no points value items FIRST.  Then I can get by on the limited quantities of the filling, fattening stuff.  Oh, and, I also take a multivitamin with minerals every day just in case.

• Like 5

When I was at that stage I kept it to calorie counting, a food log, a food scale, and measuring cups and spoons.  I gave myself a reasonable calorie limit that would allow for some weight loss and made a food diary. This was back before I had a smart phone. Now I just use My Fitness Pal, it is a free app.

I was allowed to eat anything, as long as I weighed and measured what I ate and recorded it in my food log.  Learning to control portions was the most important thing I ever did on my journey to a healthier weight.  I measured the milk in my coffee with a tablespoon, I used a teaspoon to put sugar in my coffee, I weighed my cereal and my pasta and my apple slices.  If it went in my mouth it was weighed and measured.  I learned a LOT about why my weight was too high, lol.

From that I naturally wanted to make better choices.  A cup of ice cream wasn't worth the caloric 'cost' no matter how good it was.  Or I learned to budget for the occasional splurge.  My food choices have changed a lot since that time, but I still weigh, measure and record. 

A scale in my kitchen is much more important to my health than a scale in my bathroom.

• Like 17

Calculate your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) and pick a calorie point a few hundred below that. Use my fitness pal or something similar to track your calories. I can lose weight like a pro but tracking calories is the only way to keep it up or maintain it for me. You can add in exercise at some point but it's not all that necessary, you can't outrun your fork. I exercise just because I enjoy it for the most part. If you have a smartphone tracking calories is much easier than it used to be, and there are hundreds of websites with healthy, lower calorie meals to try, two of my favorites are Skinny Taste and Emily Bites. Good luck! I know it seems daunting but you can do this. Doing it this way means there is no real deprivation happening and you can make choices based on the calories you have available and not what you "can" or "can't" have.

• Like 2

It all comes down to calories in versus calories out.

There are a lot of what seem to be relatively accurate BMR and total daily energy expenditure calculators online.  Here's one.  You can use that site and get a good estimate of about how many calories you're using each day based on your activity level.  Consistently eat less than that amount and you should lose weight.  Just remember -- all you need to do is eat less than that amount.  Even a small daily deficit should amount to weight loss over time.

FitBits are also good for estimating daily calorie expenditure.

As far as cravings -- I don't think any food should be off limits.  Once you figure out your calorie goal for weight loss, figure out how to work the foods you love into that.

Good luck!

• Like 2

editied after thinking about it. Do you have an ingerative physician? Are your hormones: progesterone, estrogen and thyroid in balance? True weight loss that is maintained is such an individual thing. It seems like if there is no physical reason evidendent , it can be a diet mentality. Deprive yourself =lose weight. Get compliments ect, on weight loss. Your body fights back on the deprivation thing, and you gain (biology is not always our friend) . Then the whole get-back -to -what -i -weighed at this time despiration kicks in which the diet cycle seems to make a person gain more. Good luck. I think it is small gradual changes in foods that you like with high nutrients that will make the biggest difference. But it happens over time, sometimes it takes a long time.

do you have yeast overgrowth?  yeast will crave carbs and sugar.  when you have die off- the cravings can come raging back.

I have done candigone by renew life with good results.  If I will hold out not eating sugar for just a couple days - it will kill the yeast and the cravings.

start slowly - yeast die off can be very unpleasant.

you also need to take a very good probiotic along with it to help "fill" up the void left by the dead yeast.  I use pro15 as it is enteric coated, and has 15 kinds of probiotic bacteria.

drink LOTS of water, and get lots of fiber.

• Like 1

I've lost at least 100 pounds.

Food: Everything that we keep in the house is healthy. Our meals consist of about half veggies for every single meal. I like quinoa or roasted brussel sprouts for lunch because they are very filling. My problem areas were things that I drink like soda and juice, and junk food like hostess cupcakes and Swedish Fish. I do not keep any of that in the house. That doesn't mean I don't still eat those things. Sometimes I eat them too much, but they're not readily available for me. I like to make a month menu and get all of the shopping and prep work done in one day. This makes healthy meals much more accessible for a busy family. I actually just finished a whole 30 because I was eating too much junk food. I'm grateful for the results. I think I lost a few pounds but my eating habits have been repaired. Again. ;)

Drinks: I used to be a huge juice drinker and a pretty bad soda drinker to boot. I started drinking talking rain which is a sugar free, sugar substitute free, calorie free carbonated beverage. It tastes good and got me over my addiction. I also purchased a water bottle and a Brita. It was a slow climb but I drink a lot more water. I would say I drink at least 75 ounces a day.

Exercise: If you want to lose 75 pounds you're going to have to work out. Sorry. I have found two things are very beneficial. The first is extreme fitness. I am a huge fan of p90x and insanity. I was not good at extreme fitness, in fact I probably looked ridiculous doing it, but I worked out really, really hard almost everyday. My success came much faster then if I were doing a beginner program. The second is going for a walk every. single. day. I lose the most weight when I go for a two and a half to five mile walk every single day. No exceptions.

Cravings: Cravings only last for about 3-5 minutes. You might still want that food when the 3-5 minutes is over but the craving is gone. This is why not having those things in the house is beneficial. The way I dealt with cravings was to say you're fat, get over it. I don't want to sound heartless, but you're fat so get over it. When you manage that you will be amazed at your progress.

• Like 8

It all comes down to calories in versus calories out.

There are a lot of what seem to be relatively accurate BMR and total daily energy expenditure calculators online. Here's one. You can use that site and get a good estimate of about how many calories you're using each day based on your activity level. Consistently eat less than that amount and you should lose weight. Just remember -- all you need to do is eat less than that amount. Even a small daily deficit should amount to weight loss over time.

FitBits are also good for estimating daily calorie expenditure.

As far as cravings -- I don't think any food should be off limits. Once you figure out your calorie goal for weight loss, figure out how to work the foods you love into that.

Good luck!

No. I'm sorry, but it really really doesn't all come down to calories in, calories out. It just doesn't.

Everyone has a different body type, different genes, etc. What works for some, doesn't work for others.

I was in the Army when I started gaining weight. I carefully logged my calories, and was not consuming more than 1200-1500 calories a day- and I was doing Army PT every day. In addition to having long days doung Army stuff. Still. Couldn't. Lose.

I now know it's because I am very insulin resistant and have PCOS. The absolute ONLY way I can lose weight is to eat very very few carbs.

On the 21 Day sugar detox I lost 8-10 pounds in 21 days, and I averaged 2000 calories a day- (but less than 25g carbs) I maybe exercised once a week.

Maintaining a low carb (no bread, no pasta, no rice, limit fruit- 25-50g carbs a day) diet is the only way I lose weight, beat cravings, and have energy- and there are plenty (PLENTY) of other people just like me.

If counting calories works for you, great. You are lucky. But please stop spreading the myth that this is true for everyone.

• Like 26

I've lost at least 100 pounds.

Food: Everything that we keep in the house is healthy. Our meals consist of about half veggies for every single meal. I like quinoa or roasted brussel sprouts for lunch because they are very filling. My problem areas were things that I drink like soda and juice, and junk food like hostess cupcakes and Swedish Fish. I do not keep any of that in the house. That doesn't mean I don't still eat those things. Sometimes I eat them too much, but they're not readily available for me. I like to make a month menu and get all of the shopping and prep work done in one day. This makes healthy meals much more accessible for a busy family. I actually just finished a whole 30 because I was eating too much junk food. I'm grateful for the results. I think I lost a few pounds but my eating habits have been repaired. Again. ;)

Drinks: I used to be a huge juice drinker and a pretty bad soda drinker to boot. I started drinking talking rain which is a sugar free, sugar substitute free, calorie free carbonated beverage. It tastes good and got me over my addiction. I also purchased a water bottle and a Brita. It was a slow climb but I drink a lot more water. I would say I drink at least 75 ounces a day.

Exercise: If you want to lose 75 pounds you're going to have to work out. Sorry. I have found two things are very beneficial. The first is extreme fitness. I am a huge fan of p90x and insanity. I was not good at extreme fitness, in fact I probably looked ridiculous doing it, but I worked out really, really hard almost everyday. My success came much faster then if I were doing a beginner program. The second is going for a walk every. single. day. I lose the most weight when I go for a two and a half to five mile walk every single day. No exceptions.

Cravings: Cravings only last for about 3-5 minutes. You might still want that food when the 3-5 minutes is over but the craving is gone. This is why not having those things in the house is beneficial. The way I dealt with cravings was to say you're fat, get over it. I don't want to sound heartless, but you're fat so get over it. When you manage that you will be amazed at your progress.

this is very good - and to add to the exercise - you will need to build muscle.  the more muscle you have, the more calories burned. (even when you're asleep.) 

with yeast cravings - they can last a whole lot longer than 3-5 minutes.  killing the yeast was the fastest thing to stop them.  otherwise I was fighting them for days while I detoxed.

No. I'm sorry, but it really really doesn't all come down to calories in, calories out. It just doesn't.

Everyone has a different body type, different genes, etc. What works for some, doesn't work for others.

I was in the Army when I started gaining weight. I carefully logged my calories, and was not consuming more than 1200-1500 calories a day- and I was doing Army PT every day. In addition to having long days doung Army stuff. Still. Couldn't. Lose.

I now know it's because I am very insulin resistant and have PCOS. The absolute ONLY way I can lose weight is to eat very very few carbs.

On the 21 Day sugar detox I lost 8-10 pounds in 21 days, and I averaged 2000 calories a day- (but less than 25g carbs) I maybe exercised once a week.

Maintaining a low carb (no bread, no pasta, no rice, limit fruit- 25-50g carbs a day) diet is the only way I lose weight, beat cravings, and have energy- and there are plenty (PLENTY) of other people just like me.

If counting calories works for you, great. You are lucky. But please stop spreading the myth that this is true for everyone.

Sorry, but . ..  yes it does.

Says she who lost 64+ pounds and kept it off eating high carb/low fat for 25 years.  And then last year started eating lower carb (mostly for digestive reasons).  And then developed hypothyroidism.

So I've pretty much run the gamut as far as carbs, and I have an endocrine disorder that makes it more difficult to lose weight.

Despite all that, it still comes down to eating fewer calories than you burn.

I don't dispute that eating lowish carb seems to help regulate hunger, and that individuals may find one style of eating fits them better than another.  But still . . . if you consume more calories than your body needs you will gain weight.  If you consume fewer calories than your body needs you will lose weight.  Regardless of where those calories are coming from.

• Like 10

I have lost 20 pounds over the past few years and kept it off successfully using the No S diet. Check it out online. There is also a book you can purchase but it isn't necessary. The long term success rates of the program are pretty good. It's basically common sense. No S stands for No Sweets, No Snacks, No Seconds unless the day starts with S ( Saturday, Sunday, and Special Days). Basically one plate of food for each meal. It took several weeks to notice that I wasn't starving. I also began to feel comfortable even if my stomach was growling. The weight has not come off quickly but it has been steady and permanent. I believe it has trained me not to eat as much.

There are also several board members who found long term success with No S. You can look up the diet on these boards to read more info.

Good luck!

• Like 3

this is very good - and to add to the exercise - you will need to build muscle. the more muscle you have, the more calories burned. (even when you're asleep.)

Oh yes, yes, yes. A good combination of cardio, strength, stretching, and balance is what you need. Cardio burns fat, but weight training is what made me look like a woman. It pulled my waist in, shaped my arms and makes my breasts look fantastic. I also think, at least for me personally, that weight training burns fat faster.

• Like 3

very true.  I've never been tested for insulin resistance (though I think my doc put it on the list for my next appt), but if I eat no sugar (or nearly ANYTHING containing sugar), weight melts off without counting calories.  (that included milk/cheese & fruit, etc. I use butter, not substitutes.).  increased protein helps reduce hunger pangs.

I ate as much as I wanted, as long as there was nothing with yeast or sugar (I ate as much pasta as I wanted. I make my own pasta sauce - store bought has SUGAR added to it.)

. (and no substitutes.  all that does is mess with your brain.)

• Like 3

Oh yes, yes, yes. A good combination of cardio, strength, stretching, and balance is what you need. Cardio burns fat, but weight training is what made me look like a woman. It pulled my waist in, shaped my arms and makes my breasts look fantastic. I also think, at least for me personally, that weight training burns fat faster.

'cause you're building muscle - which burns more calories/aka: fat.  and by sculpting the muscles you can 'see' results faster.

and absolutely work those core muscles. (there are six layers)  your entire body will thank you.

eta: we have a friend who trained as a personal trainer.  she GAINED 20 pounds - and lost a dress size.  (she was always thin.)

• Like 1

Try a low carb/barely any sugar experiment. Drink only water, and if you like, coffee and tea without sweater. Take a 7 day break from bread, noodles, rice, beans, potatoes, corn, popcorn, bananas, grapes, chips of any kind, cereal. Eat veggies, berries, avocados, salads ( dressings are fine, but make sure there is little sugar, or make your own with olive oil, mustard, salt pepper balsamic or red wine vinegar), sautĂƒÂ©ed veggies, normal portions of various proteins: eggs, tuna, fish, salmon, chickens, beef and the like. Make your food taste good by using spices, onions, garlic, parsley, olive oil, decent butter, sesame oil if you're doing a stir fry.

Weigh yourself everyday. Don't overeat, but don't go hungry. Don't bother counting calories. You're checking your carb/sugar sensitivity right now. If you're still hungry after a meal, do NOT choose a cookie, no matter how small; eat half an avocado, or a handful of olives instead. Talk a walk whenever you can. Moving your body, even a bit will make you feel much better. Building muscle is good.

see if you're very sensitive to carbs. I am not saying no carbs. I'm not saying eat pork rinds. I'm saying try seeing if eating far fewer carbs helps you to lose weight and curb cravings.

I'm suggesting giving your body a break from the foods that many are sensitive to. Eat real food. Don't eat processed food at all. Try this for one full week. Go from there. Check in.

When you have time, watch a couple of lectures by Dr Lustig on YouTube. He is head of pediatric endocrinology at the University of California San Franscico.

• Like 4

OH!  One more really crucial thing.

If you're hungry, drink a big glass of cold water, and wait 5 minutes.  When I do that, a lot of times I realize that actually I was thirsty and I'm not ravenous anymore.

Also, interestingly enough, whenever I start WW online, I fill up on fruit a lot at first.  After a little while it starts to taste too sweet for me, and I switch to veggies instead.  It's really interesting to see the migration, and I think it's from eating less carbs and more high protein. 

• Like 1

My dsil is physically very active, not what I'd call super well muscled, etc, but fit.  he has complained several times that dd eats more than him - and is super skinny.  (I think she's 140lbs at 5'11")  she has a very low BMI, and a lot of muscle.

OH!  One more really crucial thing.

If you're hungry, drink a big glass of cold water, and wait 5 minutes.  When I do that, a lot of times I realize that actually I was thirsty and I'm not ravenous anymore.

Also, interestingly enough, whenever I start WW online, I fill up on fruit a lot at first.  After a little while it starts to taste too sweet for me, and I switch to veggies instead.  It's really interesting to see the migration, and I think it's from eating less carbs and more high protein. 

about the water - many people don't recognize thirst - so do drink.  but also, your body must have that water to flush toxins and your kidneys etc. to work their best.  as you lose weight, and fat, toxins that have been stored in the fat will start to be released so it becomes even more important to drink lots of water to flush them, and eat lots of fiber so they can have something to which they can attach themselves.

I think the water rule is 1/2oz per lb of body weight per day.  so 200lbs is 100 oz.  if you are doing a detox, that will need to be increased.

peanut butter on celery is a great snack.

Says she who lost 64+ pounds and kept it off eating high carb/low fat for 25 years.  And then last year started eating lower carb (mostly for digestive reasons).  And then developed hypothyroidism.

So I've pretty much run the gamut as far as carbs, and I have an endocrine disorder that makes it more difficult to lose weight.

I don't dispute that eating lowishcarb seems to help regulate hunger, and that individuals may find one style of eating fits them better than another.  But still . . . if you consume more calories than your body needs you will gain weight.  If you consume fewer calories than your body needs you will lose weight.  Regardless of where those calories are coming from.

The problem is the "how many calories you need" can be partly changed by what you are eating. If you try to lose weight your body can adjust your set point, etc. It's MUCH more complex than "calories in/out". I've had surgery, I'm tracking my food with scales, and trust me, my weight loss at no point resembles the math. Sometimes I lose MUCH more than I should be, when my carbs are low. Othertimes I lose nothing, when the math says I should be. 

Also, for me to really lose a decent amount of weight, my calories need to be between 800 and 1,000 a day. That's virtually impossible for someone obese and insulin resistant to do without losing their mind. I can do it now because of my surgery, but if anyone had expected me to do that pre surgery I might have punched them. I would have been starving all the time. As it is, I'm comfortable around 1K, a bit peckish at 800, depending on how dense those calories were and my carb level. But pre surgery I was hungry at twice that level. 

Because YOU could lose on low fat high carb doesn't mean everyone can. Some people have a more messed up metabolism than others. Case in point, my husband can lose more in a week than me, eating twice as much. Good for him. But if I'd followed his plan I'd still be gaining. 

• Like 12

Myfitnesspal.com, Fitness Blender, and lots of water is inexpensive and works for me. Also, lots of just moving around. Get up and move every 10-15 minutes.

Once I started counting calories, my cravings went away after a couple of weeks. Oh, and I never denied myself any food, but after I saw how much my favorite chips were adding to my daily calorie allotment, I chose to use those calories on something more filling.

When my eating habits have gotten bad and I need to clean them up, I find it easiest to cut back on one "bad" thing at a time. I usually start with refined sugar. I cut out most of the sugary food, but let myself have all the cheese, bread, etc. I want for a while. Then when the sugar withdrawals have stopped, I move on to the next thing I need to stop eating. Trying to restrict calories and eliminate everything unhealthy all at once has never worked for me.

Also, we have the best luck here with a French style diet. Lots of high quality produce, no real restrictions on fats, cheese, etc., good bread in reasonable amounts, small portions of high quality desserts, and lots of walking. Three meals a day, no snacking for the grownups.

• Like 6

The problem is the "how many calories you need" can be partly changed by what you are eating. If you try to lose weight your body can adjust your set point, etc.

Very true.  That's why anyone trying to lose weight needs to readjust their calorie intake goal frequently as they lose.

Because YOU could lose on low fat high carb doesn't mean everyone can.

Maybe you missed the part where I said I eat lowish carb now?  And the part where I said that there will be variation in what type of diet/eating style works best for any individual?  I'm not disputing that.  What types of foods any individual finds most satisfying or helps keep their hunger or cravings under control can certainly make a big difference in weight loss efforts.  But regardless of that, the basic principle still stands that you have to eat fewer calories than you burn in order to lose weight.

Case in point, my husband can lose more in a week than me, eating twice as much. Good for him. But if I'd followed his plan I'd still be gaining.

Yes, this is basic physiology, just like calories in/calories out.  Men are generally bigger than women and have a much greater percentage of muscle versus fat.  Which means they generally have a far higher BMR than we do, and burn more calories doing the same amount of exercise.  It ain't fair, but just like calories in/calories out -- it's the way things work.

No, I don't like the notion of calories in versus calories out any more than anyone else does.  And probably a lot less than some, since my thyroid is underactive and I'm still getting the medication regulated.  So right now it's darn near impossible for me to lose weight.  But the fact is no matter how unfair it all seems and how much any of us wants to rail against it and how much we'd all like to live in a magical world where calories don't matter . . . they do.  And that's a sad fact. :(

• Like 3

I've been using the 17 Day Diet this year. It's really working. Lost 36 pounds and I took the summer off from losing weight. I have another 40 pounds to get to my goal weight. I don't crave sweets on this diet. It's easy to stick to it because the results are quick. I tried so many different diets and weight loss plans that just didn't work. Look into it and see if it's something that may work for you. Just remember that everyone is different so what works for a friend may not work for you.

• Like 2

Sorry, but . .. yes it does.

Says she who lost 64+ pounds and kept it off eating high carb/low fat for 25 years. And then last year started eating lower carb (mostly for digestive reasons). And then developed hypothyroidism.

I don't dispute that eating lowish carb seems to help regulate hunger, and that individuals may find one style of eating fits them better than another. But still . . . if you consume more calories than your body needs you will gain weight. If you consume fewer calories than your body needs you will lose weight. Regardless of where those calories are coming from.

Nope. Sorry. You are wrong. My ipod died and I lost what I was saying... suffice to say, I'm busy and don't feel like arguing, but you are wrong.

You have found what works for you, and your body type, genetic make-up. Other people with similar characteristics will find this works for them as well. Good for you. Great. It's awesome when you find what realky works for you, it really is.

But that DOES NOT mean that what works for you is what is universally true, or what will work for every person.

Weight loss is not simple. And there is no one thing that it can be "boiled down to" for everyonr, across the board.

I am not lying or exaggerating when I tell you that I was in the military, doing Army PT every. single. day. and not consuming more than 1200-1500 calories a day- eating the low fat (which is almost always high carb) diet that the stupid governement recommends- and STILL gaining weight.

You know how I finally lost weight??? I accidentally got pregnant. And I got gestational diabetes. And I stopped counting calories, and started counting carbs, and regulating my blood sugar. The weight *melted* off- so much so that I only "gained" 3 pounds throughout my pregnancy.

Since that time, I have learned a lot about my body, about diabetes/insulin resistance, and hormones. And I am telling you that "weight loss is as simple as calories in versus calories out" is a big. fat. lie. for at least half the population.

• Like 9

do you have yeast overgrowth?  yeast will crave carbs and sugar.  when you have die off- the cravings can come raging back.

I have done candigone by renew life with good results.  If I will hold out not eating sugar for just a couple days - it will kill the yeast and the cravings.

start slowly - yeast die off can be very unpleasant.

you also need to take a very good probiotic along with it to help "fill" up the void left by the dead yeast.  I use pro15 as it is enteric coated, and has 15 kinds of probiotic bacteria.

drink LOTS of water, and get lots of fiber.

How can I tell if I have yeast overgrowth? What are the symptoms?

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts. I have to read them again, and try to decide what to do.

I think the emotional cravings are much harder to get over that physical cravings for specific foods. Pretty much any low car, low cal, detox diet will get you through the physical cravings after a week Or two if you can stick to it.

The emotional stuff is much harder. Although I am no expert,from my experience those of us in that 75+ lbs to lose range, including myself, tend to use food as some sort of emotional crutch.

No one brand of diet, or vitamins, or any product will take that away.

For me, I never had much luck with WW or any of the programs that say you can have everything you want but in moderation. It was too easy to justify and add "a like bit" extra that kept getting a little bit more. The only thing that has waked for me is a strict product controlled diet, Yes, those expensive ones where you mostly eat the food that you buy from the company. Yes, when I have stopped them in the past, I eventually go back to my same emotional eating habits, but I keep fighting and trying again. I am currently on a program, and this time I can really see my emotional triggers much better than I ever have before. The other thing that is really helping me is that we now live in a rural evpnvirinment where even when I am tempted getting the food I crave would take a long drive. Not that I would really recommend moving out to the middle of nowhere as a weight loss stratagy.

• Like 1

Start your day every day with HIGH PROTEIN/HEALTY FAT breakfast. No oatmeal cups, cereals, etc. If I eat things like that (carby) I guarantee I will want cookies ALL DAY LONG!

Eat something at 10:30 that's healthy fat/little bit of protein, heatlhy carb. Carrots and hummus, apple and peanut butter.

Plan your lunches to be healthy. I have to plan or otherwise, I get too hungry to make good choices.

Eat another healthy fat/protein/healthy carb at 3.

Eat dinner on time.

If you want an after dinner snack, choose something like carrots, celery, or watermelon that you'd have to eat GOBS of to gain weight on.

STOP buying snacky things, or slowly back off on how much you buy.

Choose one indulgence and treat yourself each day if you are type to enjoy that one thing. (If you have the personality where one bit will turn into 40 then don't do this)  I drink a tiny sweetened cappuccino. It's hot enough that I have to sit and sip to enjoy it, so it really helps me savor the treat.

Tell yourself you will only eat sitting at the table with a real plate and utensils. I eat far less of things that I have to "fix a plate of" than things that I can just grab and eat at the counter. Birthday cake doesn't really tempt me, but cookies do because of this reason.

Find a better outlet for strong emotions and put that on autopilot. for instance when my oldest makes a fool of herself, I can walk, instead of raid the pantry. Don't even think about it, decide ahead of time what your outlet will be and just do it.

• Like 2

Yes, this is basic physiology, just like calories in/calories out.  Men are generally bigger than women and have a much greater percentage of muscle versus fat.  Which means they generally have a far higher BMR than we do, and burn more calories doing the same amount of exercise.  It ain't fair, but just like calories in/calories out -- it's the way things work.

No, I meant if I followed the same kind of plan, not ate the same amount he did. On the same kind of plan, he loses twice as fast as me. Right now, I'm eating half of what all the calculators say I should and still have slow weight loss if I have carbs. If I eat low carb no sugar I lose. Same calories. I can eat MORE calories and lose if my carbs are lower. 

• Like 2

There is no one right way.  Research shows there are many paths to weight loss, none of which is the golden ticket for every single person.  I can bring up 500 studies that directly contradict each other. So let's agree on that, ok? :)

For me, what has worked has changed throughout my life.  High carb dairy free and breastfeeding kept me actually underweight where I was trying really hard to gain.  Then later it made me gain/stall and low carb did zip zada zilch for losing weight.  Now, I think I'm just destined to gain weight in anticipation of that theoretical mini ice age or something.  Partly it's hormones and thyroid.  Always get those checked first. 

• Like 7

I need to lose at least 75 pounds. I am very unhappy with my weight and the limitations that are becoming more and more apparent. But when I start a "diet" or "lifestyle change" I get horrible cravings for all the stuff that I no longer want to eat. I have a huge list of the programs and books that I have purchased (and $$ wasted) that haven't worked.

How did you, or do you conquer the cravings? I have to get a handle on this.

TIA

Haven't had a chance to read all the replies, but I just want to encourage you.

I have been overweight/obese since I was 6. Morbidly so, for much of that time. I know exactly where you are coming from. The desire to eat the things you're not *supposed* to have can be all-consuming.

Over the past two years, I've lost 80 pounds. I could stand to lose a little more, but if I don't, I won't sweat it. I am healthier now than I've ever been. I can tell you a little about what worked for me.

1. I never, ever stop trying. I absolutely have bad days. There are still days when I think I will die if I don't have chocolate, or a cheeseburger, or pizza. The further I get down the road of my journey, the fewer and further between those days are. But they still come. And when they do, you know what? I eat chocolate. Or a cheeseburger. Or pizza. And then I get up the next morning and start over. Because this is my life, not a diet. It's the habits OVER TIME that make the difference. One "bad" meal isn't going to derail me.

2. I weigh myself every day. I know, you're not *supposed* to do that. But it makes a difference for me. It keeps me accountable. And it helps A LOT to be able to go back and see how far I've come.

3. I do not keep tempting foods in the house. If I want them, I have to go out and get them. And sometimes I do that. Yes, it means that the kids go without crackers and chips and cookies, because their mother can't control herself and will eat an entire box/bag if they are here. That's okay -- they get those things other places, and it doesn't hurt them to eat fruit and veggies either. They had to get over wanting that stuff, just like I did. (FTR, they overcame it much more easily than I did.)

4. EXERCISE. I don't mean going for a "walk." I mean hard-core, push-myself-to-the-limits exercise. Don't think I'm some kind of athlete, because I'm not. I am the kid that cried in bed on gym class mornings. Who came in last on purpose during the required mile run because it was easier than trying and coming in last anyway. Until two years ago, I'd never done any real strenuous exercise in my life. Now I lift weights. I work with a trainer who makes me do push-ups and pull-ups and box jumps until I want to die. I RUN. Can I keep up with the *fit* people at the gym? Heck no. But I push myself FOR myself. I get better every day. And the really hard physical exercise makes a HUGE difference in the cravings.

(I can't overemphasize this. Pushing yourself physically looks different from person to person. It looks different for me today than it did a year ago. But the important part, for me, was to actually push. The "something is better than nothing" approach did nothing for my cravings, energy level, or fitness. I had to get out of my comfort zone and actually try something that was hard. And keep trying until it wasn't hard anymore. And then find something else to try.)

5. Most importantly, I discovered that my problem with food is not just physical or mental -- it is primarily spiritual. I don't want to elaborate on this publicly, but my faith has played an integral role in my weight loss. I'd be happy to discuss that via private message if it's something you (or anyone) are interested in.

For years I thought this battle was hopeless. It's not. It's just a matter of finding what works for you and not giving up. Hang in there.

:grouphug:

• Like 10

Thank you!! I'm so tired of the misinformation circulating that it's a calorie in/out equation.

• Like 4

Reading through this thread has really helped me appreciate the lack of hunger bit hanging on long after radiation ended (one year and five months ago).

I haven't lost tons yet because for that first year I still ate as normal due to other cues and "that's the way it's always been."  I've gotten over most of that at this point - not 100% - but mostly.  

Now I need to remind myself TO eat and tend to skip a meal or so per day (lunch or supper, never breakfast).  Weight has been coming off nicely!  At this point it's 20 - 22 lbs gone in approx 6 months - nice and steady. It's been very tempting to just fast for a day or two per week to have it come off more quickly, but... I've read (from the Hive) that's not a good idea nutritionally.  It's still rather tempting - esp with the boys now back at college and not knowing when the side effect will wear off.

I wish I could transfer that lack of hunger bit to the rest of you...

If they ever figured out how to do it on purpose (and have it last), they could probably make a mint - or maybe not - when I think about the actual cost involved, few could afford it if not covered.

I'm thinking I have about 30, maybe 40, lbs left pending what I decide I want that final weight to be.  I'm really hoping that side effect hangs on long enough.  Ideally I'd like it to be permanent!

• Like 1

re: cravings -- it is best if you can just get it out of the house. If you are prone to impulse buys, make sure you don't have cash for that bag of potato chips while you are out. We generally have a finite supply of willpower and it is much easier to resist the siren song of food when it involves getting in a car and going to the grocery than when it involves walking to the kitchen. 

You need to find some way to reduce your intake. Calorie counting, no-S, low carb, intermittent fasting (either 8-hour eating window or 5:2 diet) can all work, as can many of the fad diets, but you need to figure out something that works for *you*. Personally I think rigid diet plans (eat 3 ounces of chicken and 2 cups of broccoli for lunch type) are not the best idea for *most* people, because things happen and you end up not able to follow the plan and with no idea what to eat. But the most important thing is that you find the diet that you can be consistent with. It doesn't do any good to have a great diet plan but only follow it for a couple of weeks and then give up because you can't sustain it. 

Myfitnesspal is a good free tracker if you want to go the tracking route that's pretty intuitive to use. Make sure that you're weighing everything you can and measuring everything that you can't weigh, at least for a few weeks, to get yourself started. Cronometer is better (imo) if you cook everything from scratch, very fast and easy to use and tons of information, but it doesn't have as big a database as MFP. 

• Like 4

How can I tell if I have yeast overgrowth? What are the symptoms?

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts. I have to read them again, and try to decide what to do.

oh, my, there are so many different ones for different people.

the most obvious being frequent yeast infections (incl. athletes foot, ringworm or thrush) and frequent sugar cravings (if I stayed completely away from sugar/chocolate I was okay, but one bite . . .  man  . . . I was out of control. with the yeast under control - I can have a bite of chocolate and I'm fine if I stop there.)

other ones are:

fatigue - despite a good night sleep

slimy stool and/or itchy bottom

stinky breath (some can be)

foggy brain

this has a very good list in the secondary possible symptoms http://www.candidafood.com/candida-symptoms-do-you-have-overgrowth/

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8376/10-signs-you-have-candida-overgrowth-what-to-do-about-it.html

some things that improved for me when I stopped eating sugar/most carbs (and weight melted off without counting any calories):  --- - - - it took nearly a month to really notice most improvement, but it was pretty dramatic.

think clearly

energy levels skyrocketed

became significantly more "functional" and productive

no more dry skin

persistent rhinitis went away

eta: one thing I've done when having a sugar craving - eat protein, OR (usually better) - eat yogurt (not the kind loaded with sugar) or something acidic (pickles work).  they can usually tame a sugar/yeast craving for me.

• Like 1

I have lost 20 pounds over the past few years and kept it off successfully using the No S diet. Check it out online. There is also a book you can purchase but it isn't necessary. The long term success rates of the program are pretty good. It's basically common sense. No S stands for No Sweets, No Snacks, No Seconds unless the day starts with S ( Saturday, Sunday, and Special Days). Basically one plate of food for each meal. It took several weeks to notice that I wasn't starving. I also began to feel comfortable even if my stomach was growling. The weight has not come off quickly but it has been steady and permanent. I believe it has trained me not to eat as much.

There are also several board members who found long term success with No S. You can look up the diet on these boards to read more info.

Good luck!

along with the retraining how we eat - is make sure you thoroughly chew your food (helps digestion, as well as giving more time for your brain to get the message you're full.)

we need to actually think about what we're eating while we're eating it - not just absentmindedly shovel it in.

Go Kaleo - www.gokaleo.com

Doug Lisle's "How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind"

It isn't the diet so much as if you can stick with it for the long term. If you're craving the "forbidden" stuff on whatever program you're on, then it's not the right one. If it makes you miserable, it's not the right one. If it makes you feel ill, it's not the right one. You have to do what you can stick with for the rest of your life. There's no magic. It's not insulin. It's not the carbs. It's not a lack of willpower. It's not a moral or spiritual failing. It's not "clean" foods and "unclean" foods. There's no evolutionary zenith that you need to go back to in order to live some idyllic early human life back before now.

ime, it's mostly a slow-ish process that plays a bit with your body's satiety mechanisms in order to maintain a calorie deficit without feeling too deprived or too hungry. It's not that carbs are evil - it's that some people can trigger satiety with fat. Other people trigger satiety with carbohydrates just fine. It's more an issue of what will work for you.

Make simple, small changes, one at a time. Pick a small change and work with that until it becomes habit. Maybe it's swapping white pasta for whole wheat. Maybe it's eating breakfast everyday. Maybe it's changing up some beverages. Then, pick another thing. imo, dietary changes are better first because you can't out run a bad diet. So, take 6mos or 1 year and work the diet angle. Then add in exercise. Again, start small - park farther away. Walk around the block. Try a beginning running program. Try strength training. Whatever you pick, pick something you enjoy because, again, you're making life-long habits not going on a fad diet.

One person's solution (low carb) is another person's fad. I have PCOS. Low-carb diets make me nauseous. For me, that nausea never goes away. I believed that low-carb was it so I stuck it out for 6mos and lost 40lbs. Six months was as much as I could take and I gained it all back. High carb, low fat works far better for me. I can trigger satiety sans-nausea with starches, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables far easier than protein and fat. I eat oatmeal for breakfast with fruit on top. I eat more than 1 serving of oats, too. Scandalous, I'm sure. I make it to lunch just fine, but if I didn't? I'd have a snack. I can eat all those things that were off limits on some "diet" and still lose weight.

I've lost 52 lbs in 20 months. It's slower (2-ish lbs a month) than before, but the difference is that I can keep on this way indefinitely. I worked on diet until the end of June this year before I even considered exercise. Then I did C25K because I love to run. Getting up early in the morning to exercise is easy because I'm doing what I love.

What's sustainable for you? Forget the books, programs, diets, shakes, etc. What could *you* see yourself doing 10 years from now? Don't make yourself miserable trying to wear someone else's shoes. Consider it a n=1 science experiment. Change one variable and see what happens. Then make another change...etc. It's doable, but there's (sadly) no magic bullet.

• Like 9

I just want to send you encouragement, because it is really hard! I am trying again :huh: We can't give up! Can't succeed if you don't try and all of that.  :lol: Good luck to you!

I am only 3 weeks into it, but exercise has been the best for me so far. It makes me feel better and the little body changes keep me going when the scale doesn't seem to be moving fast enough or at all. 

• Like 3

I've lost 100 pounds. For half of it I did WW but was eating garbage. The other half I did unprocessed foods and am healthier, happier, fuller, lost the weight faster and feel MUCH better. I also workout heavy (lift weights or do Beachbody programs) and walk/run. 

Its hard work, every single day. 

Now, I have 40 left and have to watch my portions and eat unprocessed so I am doing the 21 day fix program. No counting or weighing and measuring, just fill certain containers and if the food fits in it- I can eat it. They are color coded. Love the program. 

I get obsessive about counting calories and all that and it consumes me and then I quit and binge for a month and gain all my weight back.I hate counting calories. 

Its different for everyone, but the unprocessed eating literally changed my life. I stopped having asthma issues and went off my meds for that and my GERD. I eat plenty of delicious food and feel great. 

• Like 5

BTW, learn to cook.

I mean really cook with real ingredients (butter not margarine) real herbs for flavorings, real veggies, learn to make homemade soups with real stock from animal bones, real breads with real whole grains.

I cannot eat processed food anymore. Those rolls from O'Charlie's that I used to gobble? I only eat one because they're not as good as mine. Processed, frozen, canned foods just don't taste right anymore.  Snack cakes are too sweet, and cool whip tastes like plastic to me.

But it's taken years to get here.

• Like 7

BTW, learn to cook.

I mean really cook with real ingredients (butter not margarine) real herbs for flavorings, real veggies, learn to make homemade soups with real stock from animal bones, real breads with real whole grains.

I cannot eat processed food anymore. Those rolls from O'Charlie's that I used to gobble? I only eat one because they're not as good as mine. Processed, frozen, canned foods just don't taste right anymore. Snack cakes are too sweet, and cool whip tastes like plastic to me.

This is excellent advice.

BTW, learn to cook.

I cannot eat processed food anymore. Those rolls from O'Charlie's that I used to gobble? I only eat one because they're not as good as mine. Processed, frozen, canned foods just don't taste right anymore.  Snack cakes are too sweet, and cool whip tastes like plastic to me.

:iagree:  It's amazing how nasty processed crap tastes once you start cooking your own food from scratch. I can't even eat canned soup anymore because homemade soup made from fresh ingredients simmered for a long time tastes SO much better. I made tomato soup the other night with heirloom tomatoes and fresh herbs from my garden and oh my god, was it good. I added cream and butter, too.  As an added bonus, it takes much less homemade food to feel full than it does processed junk.

And don't even get me started on homemade bread...

• Like 10

Big problem with that is ... not eating the whole loaf. 

Yup. But to eat the whole loaf you have to make a big mess in the kitchen and take the time to make it...so, I'm less likely to eat it. I mean eating half a loaf twice a year is better than eating 3-4 crescent rolls (that now are disgusting to me but I used to love) two or three times a month.

So I haven't found the magic ticket yet. I wish I had. I know I feel better and lose a tiny bit on low carb but I have a very difficult time staying on it because. Bread. :/

However, I have recently been working with a doctor who specializes in female hormones and such. He is convinced that balancing my hormones will work when nothing else has. I am on natural thyroid, bio identical progesterone and testosterone, vitamin D and DHEA. I am also temporarily on metaformin to lower my insulin which was high. I am hopeful that this will help me finally be able to lose. He explained that it is so much more than calories in and out especially with women. He had a patient who had struggled all her life and had even had bariatric surgery. And. Still. Couldn't. Lose. When literally starving. He worked with her hormones to balance them and over about 18 months she lost all of it. He doesn't recommend any crazy diets or anything but does require no high fructose corn syrup or fake/alternative sweeteners of any kind including stevia.

I really hope I can finally get all this weight off.

• Like 1

Take a look at exercising too.  T-Tapp is a really great program.  It doesn't focus so much on weight loss, precisely, but on inch loss--and when it comes down to it, I actually don't care what the scale says if the waistband fits, you know?  ;)

• Like 1

I don't dispute that eating lowish carb seems to help regulate hunger, and that individuals may find one style of eating fits them better than another.  But still . . . if you consume more calories than your body needs you will gain weight.  If you consume fewer calories than your body needs you will lose weight.  Regardless of where those calories are coming from.

She is not disputing that the calorie model may very well work for you. But that does not mean it works for all. She states that it did not work for her while low carb did. I, too, have PCOS and know her frustration because I tried the calorie model with ww and with lean cuisine meals,  low fat everything, rice cakes, etc. I might lose 5 pounds max. Then my obgyn prescribed a low carb diet. I lost 26 lbs in 3 months. I got pregnant shortly after. I ate lc while pregnant. After I had dd I was down 10 more pounds from my pre preg weight.

While lc, I was eating a lot of calories yet lost the weight! My cholesterol improved (from 216 to 197) as well. When I slowly returned to the carbs, I gained again. Others have tried to convince me that only the calorie model is true. I have tried again and again. No more. I know what works for me just as well as you know what works for you. I am healthier low carb and I don't have reflux when I eat low carb.

• Like 4