Menu

Fall is coming, which means jeans 😕

Janie Grace

For the first time, I'm dreading wearing jeans. It's not how they look, they're just so uncomfortable! I've spent the summer in cute, knee-length skirts with stretchy waists. But fall/winter skirts means tights and that's annoying, too. If you're a slave to comfort (but also try to dress somewhat stylishly), what do you wear in the fall?

I love wearing jeans but I have a son who hates them. He finds them terribly uncomfortable; he says the fabric is too rough. (He doesn't have sensory issues otherwise.) His preferred long pants are khakis--like Dockers. We live in the deep south and he seems to have an internal furnace so he often gets away with just wearing khaki shorts most days. :p

What about trying jersey pants like these? Much softer and stretchier than jeans but not quite yoga pants?

• Like 1

For the first time, I'm dreading wearing jeans. It's not how they look, they're just so uncomfortable! I've spent the summer in cute, knee-length skirts with stretchy waists. But fall/winter skirts means tights and that's annoying, too. If you're a slave to comfort (but also try to dress somewhat stylishly), what do you wear in the fall?

Leggings can be much more comfortable than tights.  Try them with a boot or a funky pair of wool socks.  Skirts in the winter rock!

• Like 1

I look forward to winter because I can wear long pants. Any kind of long pants. I get tired of shorts and capris but hate wearing long pants in the hot, humid summer. 

Look for jeans that fit well. The sad thing about mom jeans is that they are comfortable, but you don't have to get mom jeans to find comfort.

• Like 1

Leggings can be much more comfortable than tights.  Try them with a boot or a funky pair of wool socks.  Skirts in the winter rock!

Okay, I can see this being really cute and comfy! I'm confused by "boot or a funky pair of wool socks." What shoes with funky wool socks?

Also, how do you keep leggings from sticking to skirts? Lined skirts? Slips? Seems like skirts + leggings would be a recipe for cling.

Okay, follow-up requests... 

Links for quality yoga pants (the ones I have I don't wear out because they are too sketchy... purchased at the grocery store :rolleyes: ... I kid you not) and links for comfy, soft cotton tights please!!!!

Or if not links, just tell me what store/website you buy from.

Also if you have comfy winter skirts, I want those sources, too. For some reason, my small stash of winter skirts do NOT have stretchy waists, and I am finding that stretchy waists are my friend if I am going to wear something all day.

I do have properly fitting, good quality jeans with stretch in them. I just don't like the way they feel compared to other options. 

Gap, Athleta, or LL Bean for yoga pants and leggings.

Long ski socks can show above your boots yet below the hemline of your skirt. Very cute.

I've never had cling with skirts and leggings. I wear the combo year round (capris and sneakers or Mary janes in summer). Heavier skirts in winter, typically, but always above the knee. Athletic skirts--think LL Bean, REI, etc. Fleece lined leggings if it's very cold.

I have some ankle length knit skirts that I like and in the fall, I put lightweight leggings underneath for added warmth but much more comfort than tights ( Miss Ellie would be ashamed of me - I have not worn a pair of hose since a New Year's wedding I coordinated).

Another warm weather favorite of mine is a wool riding skirt with leggings which can not be seen due to my nearly knee high argyle socks. I wear an argyle sweater with it and get many compliments though I personally feel frumpy in it. Warm yes! But frumpy.

Okay, I can see this being really cute and comfy! I'm confused by "boot or a funky pair of wool socks." What shoes with funky wool socks?

Also, how do you keep leggings from sticking to skirts? Lined skirts? Slips? Seems like skirts + leggings would be a recipe for cling.

I don't have a problem with cling. Most of my skirts are cotton or cotton blends, full and long. I guess what you would call bohemian style, although I have one that is from India that probably doesn't fit that description. They are probably too heavy to cling, the ones that are lighter are lined.

• Like 1

Boy, I have simply never had a problem with cling so I don't know how to answer that. Maybe I am just lucky or possibly have not encountered a clingy fabric combo.

My leggings are mid calf Vera Wangs from Kohls and I don't tug them down tight so they tend to ride just below the knees. I have two pair each of white, black, and charcoal grey. I would live to find a light/pale grey pair for a sundress of mine that looks cute with a sweater in the fall and spring. I have not had any luck...the white is just okay, but the light grey would be so much better.

I despise jeans and so does my little boy; can't we just put extra blankets on the bed and wake up when it's spring?

Yes, as a matter of fact those jeans do make your butt look too fat, but there isn't anything wrong with your butt; today's styles would make ANYONE'S butt look too fat!

You probably think my clothes make me look just as ridiculous as I think your clothes make you look, though, so I'm just not going to post any pictures of myself online and that way we can still be friends. :)

• Like 2

I have one pair of jeans that I love, and they are stretchy with a wide waist band. They are modern looking , so I feel nice in them. They are from Lee. I usually put a tank on and then a shirt over that so it cover a little more and I feel comfy.

Other jeans either hurt my waist, or ride up my rear. :/

I have one pair of black pants from Christopher and Banks that are more dressy and soft that look great, and are tolerable.

Capris from khols usually work well for me.

I mostly wear maxi skirts. I am in constant pain, so comfy clothes for me is a must.

• Like 1

Get Jag Pull-on jeans, assuming your tops are longish and would cover the waist. This is virtually all I wear now and I am sad about it when I am forced to wear pants with a structured waist.

Luckily, I live in Texas, so I only really need pants for about 6 weeks, the rest of the time I can get away with a long knit skirt and flats.  I hate the 6 weeks it's too cold for skirts.  I need pants that have a 33" inseam which are hard to find and then they have to be for a curvy gal.  I am always looking for suggestions on great pants, but they hardly ever come in a tall size.

I wear leggings with my sweater dress. Not sure about with my skirts. Won't look right with all of them.

The leggings don't show at all with the skirts I wear.  If it's warm enough, I just wear flats.  I like knee-highs and boots when it's colder.

• Like 1

If you switch to boots, you can get by with leggings or footless tights. I think those are more comfortable.

Leggings that work under skirts are much more comfy than jeans or tights. They are also really warm and last much longer than tights.

You do need a nice pair of ankle height boots to go with them.

Leggings can be much more comfortable than tights. Try them with a boot or a funky pair of wool socks. Skirts in the winter rock!

Yes, leggings, the style made of thicker material (even soft denim), paired with longer tunic tops. I have a favorite pair of narrow legged clam diggers that I wear year round. When it gets cold I just pull on boots and tuck them in to go outdoors, but I don't have heavy pants fabric hanging around my ankles when I'm just around the house. I don't have to dress for super cold weather, though. I feel claustrophobic with too much heavy clothing.