Menu

Let's compare egg prices

Annie G

What makes me sad is that imported grass fed beef is cheaper than regular ole beef raised here. I tried the grass fed stuff. I couldn't stand it. I know, I'm supposed to want that right? Nope. I can't stand the way it tastes. It might not be the grass part though. Maybe it's a different type of cow?! No clue.

I haven't eaten meat in a few years now, but when I did I couldn't eat the pastured stuff - milk, cheese, butter, or meat. It was all local stuff from the "right" kind of farmer, but I couldn't stand the taste. So, yeah, it probably is the pastured bit. At the time I could do the grainfed stuff just fine.

$7.99 for a dozen pastured eggs delivered to my door by my CSA. 

Ok, you and LibraryLover make me feel like I'm getting mine at a bargain price. Mine are just plain old eggs but I'm ok with that. Wow- at that price I would go berserk over broken eggs. 

I haven't eaten meat in a few years now, but when I did I couldn't eat the pastured stuff - milk, cheese, butter, or meat. It was all local stuff from the "right" kind of farmer, but I couldn't stand the taste. So, yeah, it probably is the pastured bit. At the time I could do the grainfed stuff just fine.

I developed my taste for grassfed meat when regular meat wasn't available, but my taste for grassfed venison (well... wild venison) came via venison sausage. Pathetic but true. I highly recommend it.

Basically, oversalt the meat and your body will learn to love it!

I developed my taste for grassfed meat when regular meat wasn't available, but my taste for grassfed venison (well... wild venison) came via venison sausage. Pathetic but true. I highly recommend it.

Basically, oversalt the meat and your body will learn to love it!

Yeah, that's not going to happen for me, but maybe Sparkly will find it helpful.

The thing that's funny to me about the egg prices thing is that I have seen all these FB posts where people are like, "The food rationing has begun! Start preparing!" Um, you guys realize that it's an issue specific to eggs that will probably be cleared up eventually... Of course, in the meantime, prices are up.

• Like 5

The thing that's funny to me about the egg prices thing is that I have seen all these FB posts where people are like, "The food rationing has begun! Start preparing!" Um, you guys realize that it's an issue specific to eggs that will probably be cleared up eventually... Of course, in the meantime, prices are up.

Food prices vary all the time but people rarely notice small changes. It's big changes on items you buy often that tend to be noticed. I bet no one mentions it on Facebook when they get back to more normal prices.

• Like 1

Mine are free. Or a thousand dollars, if you consider my chicken feed costs and coop. ;)

But I love my chickens, so it evens out.

Yes, the hidden costs of free eggs. I keep looking at my ladies when I buy a new bag of feed and ask them if they feel eggy at all. I love my ladies and hang out in the yard for a couple of hours a day so they can forage, but I'm ready for the eggs. Mine don't roam unless I'm out with them because the predator risks here are huge.

• Like 2

I eat the same thing for breakfast every day and today I calculated and the eggs cost more then everything else combined.

2 eggs cost more than the :corn tortilla, 2 tablespoons of black beans, 1/4 avocado, 5 grape tomatoes, and a sprinkling of cheese.

Wait. I'm fascinated by this. It sounds delicious for 3-4 days, or even once a week for quite a while, but EVERY day? Really? I WISH I could streamline to that level of consistency.

• Like 1

Enter string of curse words here.

We buy two 30 packs every week or two from Shoprite. I've been out of town for 5 days. I'm afraid to go back to the store.

Local free range eggs run $3.50-$4.50/dozen. I'm willing to pay that, but not in the quantity we're accustomed to.

Yeah I'd gladly pay for local eggs if they're going to stay pricey. Hope your shop rite didn't have a huge price hike

From 11 eurocent per egg ( freerange, mediumsized, 12-30 in a box)

To 46 eurocent per egg ( or biological, or XL sized, 6-12 in a box)

And many options in between....

I loved grocery shopping in Belgium! Prices were so low comparatively, even on staples we can get here (75 cents for Wasa crackers!). And it was fun to stumble onto the eggs on the shelf next to the crackers (I think?) instead of in the cooler. Maybe that's a way for North Americans to bring the prices down--stop using so much refrigeration!

• Like 1

I'm another who is finding themselves glad we have our own chickens.  Chicken feed is about $6 every 6 weeks or so (less in summer, more in winter).  Our coop was already here when we bought our farm, so no cost there.  Fertilizer for our garden is another pro as is being able to have them take care of many of our kitchen and garden scraps.

Over the winter we sometimes buy eggs since ours go into "winter mode."  Last time I bought eggs (free range, not organic) they cost me $2.24/dozen.  I thought that was expensive!

• Like 2

I can't find my receipt to be sure, but my dozen organic extra large eggs from Meijer were around $4.50, I think. The csa we're considering has an egg share, but they're over $6/dozen a week. I would love to have backyard chickens, but our yard is too small. They are allowed in town, but only if the chicken coop is far enough from the house. I'm determined that our next house will have enough space. It will still be a few years for that though.

I loved grocery shopping in Belgium! Prices were so low comparatively, even on staples we can get here (75 cents for Wasa crackers!). And it was fun to stumble onto the eggs on the shelf next to the crackers (I think?) instead of in the cooler. Maybe that's a way for North Americans to bring the prices down--stop using so much refrigeration!

That's an interesting one.  I believe that N. American eggs are refrigerated because they are washed before being packed.  This takes the natural protective coating off them, so it's possible for bacteria to go through the shells.  European eggs are not washed before being packed, so they are shelf-stable.

• Like 6

I believe that N. American eggs are refrigerated because they are washed before being packed.  This takes the natural protective coating off them, so it's possible for bacteria to go through the shells.  European eggs are not washed before being packed, so they are shelf-stable.

Yes, this.

That's an interesting one. I believe that N. American eggs are refrigerated because they are washed before being packed. This takes the natural protective coating off them, so it's possible for bacteria to go through the shells. European eggs are not washed before being packed, so they are shelf-stable.

We have a farm on the edge of town from the 1880s that's now part of our park district that sells the eggs from their chickens. They don't wash the eggs, so they are kept out in the farm kitchen and the patrons get an extra lesson about how shelf stable eggs are. :-)

• Like 5

That's an interesting one. I believe that N. American eggs are refrigerated because they are washed before being packed. This takes the natural protective coating off them, so it's possible for bacteria to go through the shells. European eggs are not washed before being packed, so they are shelf-stable.

Yes, that's what I thought too. But all the eggs we bought in Europe were clean--much cleaner than I often get them from the natural foods stores here. At any rate, I like the whole idea of simplifying, keeping them shelf stable rather than relying on refrigeration when it doesn't have to be necessary. Same goes for cheese, which is rarely found outside the refrigerator case here (Whole Foods comes to mind as an exception).

Different situations, different expectations I guess.

Wait. I'm fascinated by this. It sounds delicious for 3-4 days, or even once a week for quite a while, but EVERY day? Really? I WISH I could streamline to that level of consistency.

Kids are grown so it's just me and dh.  Breakfast is just a quick meal at 6:15 so it's just easier to make the same thing. 

Dh has two eggs and two sausage links that I cook in advance and just warm up as needed.  And I have the tortilla/egg thing. 

After raising four kids- we've been parenting for 32 years- I am SO happy to streamline food prep. I don't care if it's boring. I'm tired of meal prep!!

I actually go through spells and about half the year will sauté veggies to have with my eggs. Generally mushrooms, zucchini, bell pepper, onion.  That's generally my winter breakfast. 

The more I try to explain the more I sound like a weirdo with food issues. 

• Like 3

Last week, organic eggs were 3.99 a dozen.  Non-organic have inched up to about 3.69.

I imagine the bird flu has just not hit the local organic farms.  Or they feel no need to gouge people just because other eggs are a little scarcer.

Truth is, I don't know why eggs should go up in price if they're scarcer -- there just wouldn't be as many of them.  But there are still plenty of eggs.  So perhaps it's that the farms near us no longer have eggs to sell and they're being shipped in.  Maybe the difference in price is the cost of shipping?

I haven't even bought eggs since the prices started going up.  That's when I realized how few eggs we've been eating recently.

Butter seems to be coming down a bit though.

We've had pastured stuff that was absolutely awful.  And a lot that was fine.  But you never know which it will be, and at that price.... 

For the milk and butter, I think it depends on what the cows get into when they're out in that pasture.  My dad (who grew up on a farm) would always say there were a few weeks every year when the milk would be horrible.  The cows were eating some kind of onions, he thought.  Or that's what his mom told him.  I don't know if they really knew for sure.

Also, the grass fed beef we can get seems to be butchered by someone who doesn't understand that there are parts that are inedible. It's hard when you buy a pack of meat that is completely unchewable all the way through.  i'm not talking tough.  It's just complete gristle.  I''m guessing this is the same butcher who allows chunks of bone to go through the grinder in the chicken sausage (which then have to be recalled by the store).  The free range, grass fed meat is nice in concept, but there seems to be a problem in the actual practice (I was going to say "execution" but that seemed like a terrible unintended pun)

• Like 1

We've had pastured stuff that was absolutely awful.  And a lot that was fine.  But you never know which it will be, and at that price....

I think it depends on what the cows get into when they're out in that pasture.  My dad (who grew up on a farm) would always say there were a few weeks every year when the milk would be horrible.  The cows were eating some kind of onions, he thought.  Or that's what his mom told him.  I don't know if they really knew for sure.

We buy fresh steaks in summer only.  We've had bad experience with steaks from animals that have been overwintered on silage - there was an off taste to the meat.  Or maybe there was something else going on.

In general, we prefer grass-fed beef - it's what I grew up with and (Texan) husband now prefers it too.

• Like 1

Kids are grown so it's just me and dh.  Breakfast is just a quick meal at 6:15 so it's just easier to make the same thing. 

Dh has two eggs and two sausage links that I cook in advance and just warm up as needed.  And I have the tortilla/egg thing. 

After raising four kids- we've been parenting for 32 years- I am SO happy to streamline food prep. I don't care if it's boring. I'm tired of meal prep!!

I actually go through spells and about half the year will sauté veggies to have with my eggs. Generally mushrooms, zucchini, bell pepper, onion.  That's generally my winter breakfast. 

It's pretty much the same here.  Hubby almost always fixes himself an egg burrito. I either just fry two eggs and eat those or add potatoes, green pepper, onion, and spinach on the side.  It's really easy with just the two of us here - and he fixes his own.

Of course, now that the boys are home for a little while (two of them anyway), breakfast is different.  We still each fix our own, but mine this morning was left over prime rib as there was no way I could eat the whole thing last night (unlike all of my guys!).  (We were out celebrating one of their birthdays since they weren't home for it.)

When empty nesting?  Food is usually really, really simple.  I like it that way!

• Like 2

I agree; winter feed is awful.  Makes milk taste weird too.

We buy fresh steaks in summer only.  We've had bad experience with steaks from animals that have been overwintered on silage - there was an off taste to the meat.  Or maybe there was something else going on.

In general, we prefer grass-fed beef - it's what I grew up with and (Texan) husband now prefers it too.

• Like 1

Last week, organic eggs were 3.99 a dozen.  Non-organic have inched up to about 3.69.

I imagine the bird flu has just not hit the local organic farms.  Or they feel no need to gouge people just because other eggs are a little scarcer.

Truth is, I don't know why eggs should go up in price if they're scarcer -- there just wouldn't be as many of them.  But there are still plenty of eggs.  So perhaps it's that the farms near us no longer have eggs to sell and they're being shipped in.  Maybe the difference in price is the cost of shipping?

I haven't even bought eggs since the prices started going up.  That's when I realized how few eggs we've been eating recently.

If a farm has half the eggs it used to have, but the same costs, then it needs to sell those eggs for twice as much to break even.  (Or as much an increase as it can, to soften the impact of the chickens that died and the eggs they do not have)

Iowa. I'm in IOWA, egg capital. Yes, I know about the flu but we should have less expensive just because of no shipping!

$4.99 for an 18 pack this week.

We have six hens laying and two months away from nine more earning their keep! We supplement with about 3 dozen a week.

• Like 2

Last week, organic eggs were 3.99 a dozen. Non-organic have inched up to about 3.69.

I imagine the bird flu has just not hit the local organic farms. Or they feel no need to gouge people just because other eggs are a little scarcer.

Truth is, I don't know why eggs should go up in price if they're scarcer -- there just wouldn't be as many of them. But there are still plenty of eggs. So perhaps it's that the farms near us no longer have eggs to sell and they're being shipped in. Maybe the difference in price is the cost of shipping?

I haven't even bought eggs since the prices started going up. That's when I realized how few eggs we've been eating recently.

It's forecasting lost revenue I expect. Remember not just current laying hens died, this was also the up and comers. They've been killing hens by the millions here. It's crazy. So far the backyard breeders aren't being hit nearly as bad, thankfully. But it takes three weeks hatch new hens and 5months for them to lay. I really wonder what these farmers will do.

The Netherlands is even cheaper.

Belgium is far more expensive in my Dutch eyes ;)

But as generalisation Dutch focus on cheap, Belgian on taste...

And egg in the fridge?

Only at home :)

• Like 1

The Netherlands is even cheaper.

Belgium is far more expensive in my Dutch eyes ;)

But as generalisation Dutch focus on cheap, Belgian on taste...

And egg in the fridge?

Only at home :)

We found that too. And Germany less expensive still. Makes me interested in whether farmers are subsidized more in Europe and in what ways. I'm sure the entire system is different than here, overall (sheer size being an obvious factor).

:leaving:

Well, you could ...

go egg free

:leaving:

a message from the annoying vegan :laugh:

http://www.egglesscooking.com/egg-substitutes/

Since we have personal chickens (free range), if we didn't eat the eggs or otherwise use them (critter feed, etc), they would just rot.  It's very rare that a hen cares about any eggs.  When we get one that goes broodie, we mark some (so they don't get confused with others) and let her try to hatch them.  Sometimes it works.  Other times it doesn't.  (Obviously, we also have a rooster!)

In general though, when we are consuming eggs we aren't robbing them from the hens.  They literally would just rot.

For those who buy factory farmed eggs from the store, that's a whole different "treatment of chickens" deal, of course.

• Like 1

Middle-USA (major bird killing going on) here, too. 

18 large eggs were in the high $2, low $3 range until about 2-3 weeks ago. They were running $4.85 two weeks ago. I downgraded to the "medium" eggs so I could pay only about $2/dozen. 

I used to have plenty of friends who raised chickens for eggs, but am down to just one. I am not one of her regular customers, so I could only get duck eggs when they are available. The Farmers Market price is not any better than the grocery store one.

I actually go through spells and about half the year will sauté veggies to have with my eggs. Generally mushrooms, zucchini, bell pepper, onion. That's generally my winter breakfast.

Amen, Sister. Preaching to the choir. I'm still in the trenches, so serving the same meal more than twice in a row gets people implying that I'm a war criminal. I think I'll streamline and just have breakfast at your house!

• Like 1

$3 a dozen from a farmer friend...truly free range, pastured, etc.  Just like I would do it in the most organic way possible down to the feed.  I keep telling her she's under charging!  But her chickens are $25 a pc. LOL  But that's because they are around 8-10 lbs each.  I call them ch-urkeys. lol

We found that too. And Germany less expensive still. Makes me interested in whether farmers are subsidized more in Europe and in what ways. I'm sure the entire system is different than here, overall (sheer size being an obvious factor).

Yes,

Farmers are subsidized in Europe.

But farmer subsidies(?) is a web I've never untied(?)...

It seems very complex and unclear :(

• Like 1

I had to go to walmart last night, I only go if I need soap or TP so I checked out their prices.... Holy COW!  $2.50 for a dozen white  and up to $4.50 for brown.  I rarely ever get groceries there, my local JayC (owned by Kroger) has better sales or I drive (30/45 minutes each way) to the Aldi's.  If I'm forced to pay that much for eggs, I won't be cooking eggs and we'll be trying out some different recipes for breads and such.

$1.89/10

They don't come in packs of a dozen here but they are very fresh and probably free-range. The yolks are neon yellow-bright so I'm hoping they're fairly heathy. I haven't bothered to read the package. 

I used to spend at least $3.50 for large cage free, organic eggs in NoVA though. 

• Like 1