Menu

Let's compare egg prices

Annie G

According to reports in the news, this will be going on into next year, so start making adjustments to holiday baking plans now.

Thanks for that info. I had been looking to see if there were estimates of how long this would last. 

Did your news report mention whether the supply and price were going to get significantly worse?

Last year's butter prices really did impact my holiday baking, but I doubt the price of eggs will. Unless they go a lot higher than that are now, of course. 

I am worried about beef- I order ours quarterly and I'm picking up our order tomorrow. I didn't ask the price when I ordered- I have a standard order and I just call to let them know when I want to pick it up and we never discuss price. I might be in for a shock. 

Guess it's time to dial back my Ben and Jerry's consumption to absorb the increased cost of eggs and beef. Sigh. 

Thanks for that info. I had been looking to see if there were estimates of how long this would last. 

Did your news report mention whether the supply and price were going to get significantly worse?

Last year's butter prices really did impact my holiday baking, but I doubt the price of eggs will. Unless they go a lot higher than that are now, of course. 

I am worried about beef- I order ours quarterly and I'm picking up our order tomorrow. I didn't ask the price when I ordered- I have a standard order and I just call to let them know when I want to pick it up and we never discuss price. I might be in for a shock. 

Guess it's time to dial back my Ben and Jerry's consumption to absorb the increased cost of eggs and beef. Sigh. 

It was a basic reuters story and it just said to expect the egg shortage to continue into next year. It did sound like prices have not gone up as far as they will, so don't get used to the current prices.

The story attributed the price increase directly to the avian flu, so I don't know why beef prices would be going up. But, I don't eat meat so I don't pay attention to what might be increasing those prices.

• Like 1

$1.89/10

They don't come in packs of a dozen here but they are very fresh and probably free-range. The yolks are neon yellow-bright so I'm hoping they're fairly heathy. I haven't bothered to read the package.

I used to spend at least $3.50 for large cage free, organic eggs in NoVA though.

Ideally you want darker yolks as an indicator of hen health...that and a sturdy shell. My grandma once told me if it didn't take two good strikes to crack her eggs the ladies didn't have enough calcium in their diets. Her egg yolks were nearly orange but they were the best eggs I ever had. I'm hoping to get eggs like hers from my ladies ( and trying to read up and remember her tricks, too).

• Like 1

I developed my taste for grassfed meat when regular meat wasn't available, but my taste for grassfed venison (well... wild venison) came via venison sausage. Pathetic but true. I highly recommend it.

Basically, oversalt the meat and your body will learn to love it!

Completely irrelevant, but I am and always will be amused that there are places where deer are livestock.

Feel free to come grab a few from my yard!

$2.79 for a dozen the other day, junk eggs, not organic or free range.

My friend is dramatically increasing her flock size so I hope to buy eggs from her this fall and winter. Her chickens free range on the farm, come in at night to a horse stall with a light on a timer in the winter, and have feed from the Amish neighbor - not certified organic, but he doesn't put anything on his crops and uses horse manure for his fertilizer and he doesn't feed his horses commercial grain either - so they are super healthy. The yolks are always huge and orange with shells that you have to work hard to crack. If she gets the number of eggs she hopes for, I can have them for $2.00 a dozen as long as I bring my own basket or egg cartons for transport.

I should also note that we trade my husband's spent grains from homebrewing for eggs and produce from a friend with a flock and garden. "The girls" enjoy the grains.

I suspect that a number of people with backyard chickens would be open to trades.

• Like 1

Jane, you are so right! I am the stable hand for my friend when she needs to go out of town or has a medical appointment, gets sick, etc. Whenever I do chores, not only do I take home as many eggs as I like at no charge, but I also get lamb. My family does enjoy lamb stew and roast cutlets. In the summers she gives us fresh sweet corn, garlic, and salad greens. Since she only has two horses, a few sheep, three llamas, and the chickens plus a few barn cats it only takes me 40 min. for morning chores except a bit longer in the winter when I have to break ice in the water troughs and buckets, and 20 min. at night. I think I win on the deal! LOL, but she assures me that this is equitable because it is hard to find people who will not only do the chores but keep her barn so pristine. Apparently, the boys and I are mucking out champs!

I am a big fan of bartering because it gets people together within a community to mutually benefit from well, being in a community. It is blessing that has been largely lost in our modern world.

• Like 1