Menu

A life without Jello?

RosieCotton

So Heinz bought Kraft.

Apparently the Jello market is not what it used to be.

I'm a child of the 70s from the midwest and cannot imagine a life without this product even tho I know now how bad the dyes are.

Hopefully will never happen, but a life without my rainbow layered jello in the summer is sad.

Anyone else with me?

Never had rainbow jello? Let me know I'll give you the recipe. It's one of the most amazing things you'll ever taste!~

It has 10 layers!!

http://fortune.com/2015/03/27/jell-o-kraft-heinz/

• Like 1

You could use plain gelatin mixed with juice to avoid the dyes. I believe there are also more natural versions of jello that don't use artificial ingredients---check somewhere like Whole Foods, health food store, Trader Joes, Amazon, etc.

• Like 2

I don't think they'll stop making Jello, but if they do you can always use Knox gelatin mixed with fruit juice concentrate and enough water to make required amount.  I usually use one can of concentrate and add water to make 4 cups.  I usually use the apple/raspberry or other similar combos, and people always rave about how good it is.  If you make it with Concord grape juice concentrate the gelatin tastes just like grape jelly - not my fave, but the little kids seem to really love it.  

I grew up in Utah where people did all kinds of weird things with jello. I've never liked it, but people get way too creative with the stuff. Anything could go in jello and if the additions were healthy it counted as food at far too many potlucks. My sister was once given jello with sliced onions in it, but that was in Virginia, not Utah. Green jello with carrots and other things was not uncommon. Blah.

I was just celebrating a couple days ago that I found a vegan jello I liked. Mine was a boxed version. Someone else shared a recipe for agar + koolaid which I'll also try.  It's a nice summer dessert so finding one without the melted down animal tendons is nice.

• Like 4

Oh my, my mom's holiday layered strawberry jello and cream cheese thing

my grandma made this thing with jello and coolwhip and cottage cheese and pineapple

the 70s

My mom made that too (except we used mixed fruit).  And I do. We call it "Pink SAlad" and its a hit.

• Like 1

I was just celebrating a couple days ago that I found a vegan jello I liked. Mine was a boxed version. Someone else shared a recipe for agar + koolaid which I'll also try. It's a nice summer desert so finding one without the melted down animal tendons is nice.

We quit jello the first time one of my kids went vegetarian. Now my highly-allergic dd has a meat allergy that includes gelatin so it is treated as a deadly poison in my house. I'll have to track down vegan gelatin; maybe it would allow my other dd to have "jello."

We quit jello the first time one of my kids went vegetarian. Now my highly-allergic dd has a meat allergy that includes gelatin so it is treated as a deadly poison in my house. I'll have to track down vegan gelatin; maybe it would allow my other dd to have "jello."

Agar agar is close-ish. The texture, from what I've read, is not quite the same. A basic recipe - http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2013/05/16/vegan-jello-gelatin-free-jello/

You can also try some of the suggestions here - http://www.thekitchn.com/vegetarian-and-vegan-substitutes-for-gelatin-tips-from-the-kitchn-189478

I got my agar agar at the natural foods store, but you can get it on Amazon, too. Veganessentials.com sells the boxed vegan jels.

I don't miss Jello and while my kids had it once or twice in the distant past, they haven't ever asked for it. I do, however, find vintage recipes involving Jello and other savory bits rather funny to read about. In the theoretical sense only.

• Like 2

I found the one in this commercial:https://youtu.be/aGAJL7Oa3ms- "National" brand  jelly - in the grocery store beside the curry sauces & other foods imported from India & Pakistan. It's thickened with carrageenan.

• Like 2

Jello is my "sick" food, along with my mom's homemade chicken and German-style dumplings, 7-up, and saltine crackers.

Generally I avoid eating the way my mom fed us growing up, but when I have a stomach bug I want my mom!

• Like 2

No more fluff? Ahhh!!!!

Fluff

1 container cottage cheese

1 drained can pineapple tidbits

1 package dry strawberry hello

1 container cool whip

Mix well and refrigerate. Simple and healthy. 😉

I make fluff with Jello Pudding (usually FF cheesecake flavor), cool whip, mandarin oranges, peaches and mango. Sometimes we use pears or cherries.

I don't think that I have eaten Jello since the late 1970s.

If you can bear the startling racism, YouTube has the dreadful Jello ad from very long ago featuring a Chinese baby being introduced to this food. I won't post a link, but shall leave sleuthing to the curious.

I prefer the texture of agar agar.

But then, I also find jello mixed with vegetables, meat or dairy to be extremely disgusting.

As do I. Then again, I don't eat meat so, ya know.

I still find it mildly entertaining to read about on certain midcentury blogs. I didn't say I'd eat it. ;)

I haven't used agar agar outside of making agar plates, though.

I make vegan jello for my dd5 occasionally as a treat. I get it in prepackaged boxes from Whole Foods. It is made by a company called Natural Desserts and is Gluten free, vegan, kosher, and has no artificial dyes or colors. They make an unflavored sugar free version that I mix with fruit and juice, but they also have a few flavored.

It is pretty good! I don't remember what real Jello tastes like as I have been veggie more than 30 years, but I have given other kids and their moms some and they say there really isn't much difference:)

• Like 1

Jello is my "sick" food, along with my mom's homemade chicken and German-style dumplings, 7-up, and saltine crackers.

Generally I avoid eating the way my mom fed us growing up, but when I have a stomach bug I want my mom!

Same here!!!!!

(You're probably wondering how I manage to get your mom's chicken and dumplings, but I will never tell! ;))

• Like 1

Am I the only one who doesn't like jello?

I grew up with my mom making things from jello, cheese whiz, and spam and I can't stand any of those things! Blech!

Based on this thread, no, you're not the only one.

It seems like it's pretty common to dislike it.

I've never had rainbow jello and would love the recipe. My kids dislike jello so I don't make it often. I am still incredulous about this. It's non-food food at its best, garish colors and all!

I'm not a big fan of jello, but would like to see this rainbow jello recipe.

I'll try to find one but you basically get a variety of jello flavor/colors. For the first color, dissolve the package in about 1.5 cups of boiling water, then take about 1 cup of that mixture and pour it into a dish to make a thin layer. You let the half cup cool a bit, then add 3 TBS of yogurt or sour cream and once the previous layer is set, pour the creamy layer on top. Repeat with various colors until your pan is full.

• Like 1

I find Jello disturbing, weird, bouncy in a way food ought not to be, unless it is in a very thin layer in the aforementioned strawberry pretzel dessert, which I faithfully eat once a year on the Fourth of July. 10 layers of it? Shudder. Mixed with cottage cheese? That ain't right.