Menu

What would you consider average height for a man?

Tap

Average height of men  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Average height of men in your experience?

In your life experience....what do you consider average height for a man?  Not what you have heard the average height is, but what you see day to day. 

I am used to men about 6ft tall and would say that is average in my life. I know I am wrong as far as a national average, but my dad, husband and son are all right at 6'.  My brother is 6'3" and and some other men in my family are well over 6', which for some reason, in my mind balances out the multitude of others who are under. LOL I am 5'8" so a man who is the same height as me seems shorter than average. I think it is odd that I spend more time in my day with men who are under 6' tall, but my brain considers 6' average.  

How about you? How does your daily exposure affect your perception of average height?

Link for averages based on country. 

Genetically my family is a mixture of Native American, Norwegian, German and a general unknown USA mix. 

Yup for me 6 is normal. Over 6 is tall. Over 6'6" is really tall. Ds & dh are both 6'4". Ds might still be growing. Dh grew until he was closer to 19....

I'm not even tall myself. I'm 165 cm (sorry only know myself in metric) but tall people are all around me & to my eye that's normal.

I would guess about 5'10" or 5'11". My husband is 5'8" on a good day and is the tallest in his family. My dad and brother are 5'9" and 5'11". We have friends and some in-laws over 6' but I don't think they are the average. I'm also only 4'11" so the guys I went out with before DH tended to be shorter too. My family is classis Chicago mutt of Irish and Polish and DH's family is German.

I would say 6 foot too.  I grew up in a family with tall males (my dad is 6'7").. but married someone shorter than me.  I'm 5'10" so in my mind anyone shorter than me is short...  My 2 grown boys are both over 6 feet..

I suspect people, on average, are getting taller in the west.  When I was a kid I was an outlier, always the tallest in class until high school and now being 5'10".  I was always the tallest woman just about anywhere I went.  Now it seems I see many young women as tall as or taller than me.  I'm not so unusual now.  Sniff, sniff..

• Like 1

Around 5'10" - according to your chart it's a little less than that in the UK.  Men in my family are mostly 5'10" to 6'2", while in husband's family they are 5'6" to 5'10"

When I first lived in China, I was eye-to-eye with most men (I'm 5'4").  With better nutrition, the younger generation is now , on average, much, much taller.

• Like 1

5'8" to 5'11" is average height to me. 5'7" and below is short. 6' and above is tall. I think some of it is due to ethnic mix. People of Nordic descent tend to be taller on average than other white folks. So if you live in an area with a lot of folks whose ancestors were Scandinavian, Dutch, German, etc. then your perception of "tall" is going to be skewed compared to someone who lives in an area with a lot of folks whose families were from Mediterranean countries.

• Like 3

I would guess about 5'10" or 5'11". My husband is 5'8" on a good day and is the tallest in his family. My dad and brother are 5'9" and 5'11". We have friends and some in-laws over 6' but I don't think they are the average. I'm also only 4'11" so the guys I went out with before DH tended to be shorter too. My family is classis Chicago mutt of Irish and Polish and DH's family is German.

I am 4'11" also but always dated tall men. 

My husband is 5'11", before DH I was engaged to someone 6'4"

• Like 1

Ooops, I answered wrong.  I put 5'10" because that's what I think the average male height may be close to.  However, the majority of the males in my family and those I'm friends with average about 6'1"  My brothers are 6'2" or taller.  DH is 6'4"

I've always heard 5'10" and can't separate the knowledge from experience. My dad was 6'2". I'm 5'9" and my sister is 5'10". I come from a tall family and I'm used to being around a lot of tall people. However, dh is 5'8". I have gotten used to short too :). I always consider a man who isn't taller than me to be short though.

My family is all on the shorter side- Dad and brother are around 5' 6", mom is about 5' 4" and I'm 5'2" on a tall day. :-) I also spent many many years involved in gymnastics, so my height-o-meter is skewed small. DH is 6' though and so far DS seems to be taking after those genes. I voted 5'8".

I would say 5'10 since that was the height of my dad and that of my younger brother. My dh on the other hand is rather short at 5'3 and God forbid do NOT forget that 1/2 :D if it wasn't for that 1/2 we would be the same height (which according to our DLs we are)

I'm really short, but most of the men in my life are tall. 6-6'1" would seem fairly average. My dad is 5'11", brother is 5'10", stepbrothers are 6'2 and 6'3, and husband is 6'2.