81 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a box curriculum for us :)

• Abeka
    • BJU
    • Calvert
    • Rod & Staff
    • Other (explain in the comments)
    • K12 done independently

I want a box of textbooks/workbooks for each kid, preferably from the same publisher (although I'm not married to that idea) that efficiently cover the basics so they can finish relatively quickly and get on with life and the things they love.  We already have math for each kid, so I'm not worried about that.  I'm mainly concerned about English, history, and science.   This is for a 5th grader and 6th grader (ages 10 and almost-12)

Our lovely and gracious host has boxes.  I haven't bought one yet because I'd already taken care of the current needs before I discovered WTM.  But, I've drooled.  There are also some online classes for older kids that made me tingly reading the description.  

eta: typo

• Like 2

I agree that Oak Meadow is wonderful, but it's definitely not "get er done". I guess you could skip all the creative projects and assignments if you had to.

If you're looking for efficient but quality, I would go with Timberdoodle. Their packages have some Christian content, but they have a secular option as well.

Calvert. We've only done pieces and not a whole box, but I do like the emphasis on gentle skill acquisition. Plus they have the Verticy side if you have some learning difficulties going on.

Fwiw, we tried the Memoria Press sets multiple times and I sold them each time. My kids found the workbooks dry as dust. I liked the classical focus as a parent but it was just so dry.

• Like 2

We just switched to the Memoria Press complete package this month and thus far, I'm thrilled. I know some have said that they've found the workbooks dry, but I can already see the results of the increased reading and writing demands. 

DD's been a reluctant independent reader (she reads fluently but would groan whenever I suggested reading on her own for pleasure) -- earlier today, she ran into the room and said "I know I always said I don't like reading, but I love it now!" Thank you, Memoria Press!

• Like 3

I checked out Memoria Press and, while it looks good and solid, its just not for me.  I gave up on the classical ed fantasy (for us) awhile ago.  We've tried Sonlight (poor fit) and Oak Meadow (poor fit, but I still have a soft spot for OM).

I find artistic, creative, living books, hands-on approaches SO appealing ... but they don't always get done.   And (say it with me, everyone) "The best curriculum is that one that gets done."   Trying to implement what appeals to me (artsy, etc. approach) has left me burned out. :(

So, as I get comfortable living on Planet Reality (it's so boring here) I realize that I just need something that will get done everyday.  Traditional.  Textbooks.  Boring-boring-boring but a LOT more effective than winging it with plans that never quite get implemented.  Let's get the schoolwork done in a few hours and then they can get on with the things that they're really passionate about.

FWIW, what we have that's working now for older DD:  IEW- Student Writing Intensive A, Megawords, Math Mammoth.  For younger DD (10 yo): Teaching Textbooks - but only sort of.  I want to supplement with something, but that's another question for a different day.

• Like 2

I want a box of textbooks/workbooks for each kid, preferably from the same publisher (although I'm not married to that idea) that efficiently cover the basics so they can finish relatively quickly and get on with life and the things they love.  We already have math for each kid, so I'm not worried about that.  I'm mainly concerned about English, history, and science.   This is for a 5th grader and 6th grader (ages 10 and almost-12)

Maybe not a box but a change in approach - something like the Swanns?

"Yet, although we were in school every day, our hours were not long. Most days we studied only three hours -- from 8:30 to 11:30 in the morning. The rest of our day was our own. We played outside, performed household chores, read books and generally did the things which interested us."

PollyOR, it WAS a box.  She's describing her day, but earlier in the article says they used Calvert.

Only thing is, we use Calvert with a 12 month schedule ourselves (year round), and haven't quite gotten it to 3 hours a day.  Although with my 2nd grader daughter, it's close.

:)

If I had to go with a box, it would be bare-bones, no-extras Memoria Press because it comes with a nice schedule and you don't do every subject every day.

Timberdoodle comes with a schedule now? Interesting. I hadn't heard that. Is that only with their regular boxes or do they send one with their secular (Mystery of History in their secular boxes? :lol: ) ones, too? I can't imagine they put together one with their customizable boxes, do they? If it came with a schedule, Timberdoodle would be my second choice.

• Like 1

Timberdoodle comes with a schedule now? Interesting. I hadn't heard that. Is that only with their regular boxes or do they send one with their secular (Mystery of History in their secular boxes? :lol: ) ones, too? I can't imagine they put together one with their customizable boxes, do they? If it came with a schedule, Timberdoodle would be my second choice.

They were add our conference this year. I really liked their schedule. It went by weeks instead of by day.

Timberdoodle comes with a schedule now? Interesting. I hadn't heard that. Is that only with their regular boxes or do they send one with their secular (Mystery of History in their secular boxes? [emoji38] ) ones, too? I can't imagine they put together one with their customizable boxes, do they? If it came with a schedule, Timberdoodle would be my second choice.

I was just on their website yesterday, and it says that their standard curriculum packages have a printed schedule, while the secular ones only have the schedule in e-book format. So, both versions do have a schedule.

• Like 1

Another vote for Memoria Press, but I wouldn't feel compelled to start with the grade level my child is in...It is perfectly fine to choose a lower level if that is what is best for the child...My 10 year old will be doing much of the third grade core in the fall even though he will be in the 5th grade...

• Like 3