Menu

Daily dose of Crazy

purplejackmama

My friend posted on facebook this morning about her high school daughter. Her daughter, a varsity cheerleader, skipped school yesterday and drove to a fast food restaurant. While there she was smoking. Someone took a pic of this and sent it to the school administrators. She was suspended for 3 days and kicked off the cheerleading squad.

The cheerleaders sign a no smoking "contract" so I'm guessing that's why she was kicked off. The skipping school must be what warranted the school suspension. I'm not sure exactly how all the punishment works. Whatever. Bottom line kid screwed up.

There are currently 54 comments on this post and 90% of them, are telling the mom to "hire an attorney!!" "Go to the school board!!" "Fight this ridiculous punishment!!"

Really? Seriously, hire an attorney?

Am I just too old fashioned? None of these thoughts would enter my mind. I would be sad for my child, but I can't fathom hiring an attorney or appealing to the superintendent.

Ok, I'm done :)

• Like 9

My friend posted on facebook this morning about her high school daughter. Her daughter, a varsity cheerleader, skipped school yesterday and drove to a fast food restaurant. While there she was smoking. Someone took a pic of this and sent it to the school administrators. She was suspended for 3 days and kicked off the cheerleading squad.

The cheerleaders sign a no smoking "contract" so I'm guessing that's why she was kicked off. The skipping school must be what warranted the school suspension. I'm not sure exactly how all the punishment works. Whatever. Bottom line kid screwed up.

There are currently 54 comments on this post and 90% of them, are telling the mom to "hire an attorney!!" "Go to the school board!!" "Fight this ridiculous punishment!!"

Really? Seriously, hire an attorney?

Am I just too old fashioned? None of these thoughts would enter my mind. I would be sad for my child, but I can't fathom hiring an attorney or appealing to the superintendent.

Ok, I'm done :)

If this were my kid, he would be grateful if that is all that happened. This kind of behavior would not bode well here and result  loss of privileges such as driving for an extended period of time and such.

Good grief! Hire an attorney???? :banghead:

• Like 10

Because being kicked off the cheerleading squad is a worse punishment than death.  :/

She knowingly broke two very clear rules.  It seems pretty black and white to me.  A 3-day suspension doesn't sound ridiculous to me.  I assume it won't stop her from graduation / promotion / important stuff next year?

I have relatives who protested a 6-month expulsion that would have kept their kid out of the international baccalaureate program for the next 4 years.  Now that was worth it.

• Like 7

Am I the only person who would never have posted that on facebook in the first place?

I would have given my kid the "oh well, look what you did to yourself" look and moved on.

Yes, I would have been sad, just like I was sad to have to tell my kid off last week for saying unhelpful things to her soccer teammate.  It sucks, but it's part of parenting and part of life.  I am glad the school discipline policies can sometimes make it easier for us.

• Like 23

She broke the rules AND got caught. I'm sure other cheerleaders have smoked. I'm sure other cheerleaders have skipped school. However, she was the one caught.

She knew the rules when she took the risk of breaking them. Rules were laid out before trying out for cheer. The school probably also have a code of conduct that students must sign each year that covers skipping.

She got caught she must face consequences.

I have an older brother who never got caught. He might as well have been Ferris Bueller. I, on the other hand, knew I had trouble covering my tracks. I never broke a rule for that reason.

• Like 4

You are not old fashioned. Cheerleaders are role models (as are all student leaders and athletes). Smoking is seriously addictive and harmful and there should be serious consequences.

If she didn't want to face the consequences she shouldn't have engaged in the behavior.

I don't think the consequences were light, though. Getting kicked off a varsity sport is a huge deal, plus the suspension. To me, that is a fair, reasonable consequence and I wouldn't add to it.

• Like 4

The thing that seems weird to me is that she skipped school and the school's response is to suspend her for 3 days. Ha! She didn't want to be there in the first place and now she gets three days off. What happened to detention? That'd make more sense.

• Like 8

The thing that seems weird to me is that she skipped school and the school's response is to suspend her for 3 days. Ha! She didn't want to be there in the first place and now she gets three days off. What happened to detention? That'd make more sense.

I think it's in-school suspension. Not sure how that works? Sit in a room for 3 days?

• Like 2

I think it's in-school suspension. Not sure how that works? Sit in a room for 3 days?

In school suspension (otherwise known as detention in some places) sometimes means doing all your school work in one room for however many days you have suspension (including lunch).  For other in-school suspensions it can mean sitting in a room while someone gives you busy work.  Or lectures on behavior.  Sometimes you just sit.  Depends on the school policy.

• Like 5

ISS. You report to school at the regular time and go to the ISS room. Your teachers are to have sent assignments for you to complete there. You cannot leave the room all day, including lunch (cafeteria lunch is brought to the classroom for those who purchase it). I'm sure some provision is made for toilet breaks, but in some schools the ISS room is a room that has a small bathroom in the room.

• Like 5

ISS. You report to school at the regular time and go to the ISS room. Your teachers are to have sent assignments for you to complete there. You cannot leave the room all day, including lunch (cafeteria lunch is brought to the classroom for those who purchase it). I'm sure some provision is made for toilet breaks, but in some schools the ISS room is a room that has a small bathroom in the room.

My wife has mentioned that there were kids in her gifted & talented elementary school who tried to get ISS as often as possible, so they could quickly get their assignments done and then just read or w/e.

• Like 6

Crazy is right.  Please let us know if there is any followup information, like a lawsuit! 

ETA: I guess in years past people could easily get away with something like this.  No photo = no proof = no punishment. 

Maybe everyone having a camera in their pocket isn't such a good thing.  At least, I bet this girl is thinking that right now.  Maybe they'll sue the person who took the pic.

• Like 2

My wife has mentioned that there were kids in her gifted & talented elementary school who tried to get ISS as often as possible, so they could quickly get their assignments done and then just read or w/e.

I've never heard of ISS in elementary. One my kids would have enjoyed being locked in a room with books for 6hours at that age.

In high school ISS is a pretty big punishment for kids who feed on the social life of school

Some people cannot stand for their kids to have any consequences to their actions. It is becoming a problem with society in general.

yup... I've seen it over and over again....

and then we get stories like this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/12/affluenza-defense-probation-for-deadly-dwi_n_4430807.html

Add me to the old-fashioned list.  It never would have crossed my mind to hire an attorney.  My kids break the rules, they live with the consequences. 

• Like 7

We had to sign a no smoking contract in our high school too - and we had a fellow athlete kicked off the team for breaking the contract. Follow-through is less enforced bu parents nowadays, IMO. So, they can't handle it when others DO follow through with punishment.

I would love to know of updates too!! :)

• Like 3

My cousin was telling me the story of a kid in her son's school. He is a junior and a football player expected to go to college on athletic scholarship. In class his buddy, a boy walked by and this kid pants him. Not all the way down, but to where it showed his underware a bit. Buddy didn't complain, wasn't upset....but teacher saw it and the kid was expelled long enough that it will run Into his senior year and screw up his senior year of football.

If that story is true that is ridiculous.

But the cheerleader? Yeah she broke the rules and is paying the price. A lawyer is just crazy talk.

If she signed the contract and it stated she'd be removed from the team, then she knew the consequences before she did it.

I DO think getting kicked off the team for the first infraction is too harsh.

I wonder if this is a rampant problem and this girl - being found guilty with evidence - is being made an example.

• Like 1

I've never heard of ISS in elementary. One my kids would have enjoyed being locked in a room with books for 6hours at that age.

My 6 year old got ISS while he was in kindergarten last year.  He *loved* it.  He got done with his work super fast and then was thoroughly entertained by some administrators the rest of the day.  The principal (who he was very, very acquainted with from his many trips to the principal's office) just loved him and spent some time that day teaching him to read.  I don't think it ended up being much of a punishment.

• Like 4

She made an agreement. She broke her word. There are consequences. The end. Sigh. Hopefully Mom has some sense to advocate for the greater good, her daughter's character.

I agree, but I doubt she will. Thanks to the mom's actions, the daughter will walk away from this thinking she was the victim here.

• Like 3

I kind of favor regular suspension because the way that used to work was any assignments missed during the suspension resulted in automatic grades of zero. So it  could really hurt your grade, which made sense to me since they were trying to get across the point that you need to be IN school. 

I don't like ISS so much partly because it puts additional work on teachers who have to come up with work for the student, and sometimes that involves some effort because the class might have been planning a lecture or an experiment or something that's not easily done while in ISS. 

The in-school suspension sounds a bit harsh, as someone who skipped school and only ever got detention, but whatever. I have to say that I strongly disagree with the policy of removing students from athletic teams due to smoking. Cigarettes are extremely addictive, much more so than meth, alcohol, coke, etc... and addicts generally don't respond to consequences. This should be dealt with as a health issue, not a discipline issue.

The in-school suspension sounds a bit harsh, as someone who skipped school and only ever got detention, but whatever. I have to say that I strongly disagree with the policy of removing students from athletic teams due to smoking. Cigarettes are extremely addictive, much more so than meth, alcohol, coke, etc... and addicts generally don't respond to consequences. This should be dealt with as a health issue, not a discipline issue.

Mrs. Weasley, do you think she should "hire an attorney" though?

My cousin was telling me the story of a kid in her son's school. He is a junior and a football player expected to go to college on athletic scholarship. In class his buddy, a boy walked by and this kid pants him. Not all the way down, but to where it showed his underware a bit. Buddy didn't complain, wasn't upset....but teacher saw it and the kid was expelled long enough that it will run Into his senior year and screw up his senior year of football.

But the cheerleader? Yeah she broke the rules and is paying the price. A lawyer is just crazy talk.

The boy who pulled down the pants was expelled?  Sorry, I think violating someone's personal space in this way at school is pretty serious whether or not it was meant to be funny.  Suppose he had done this to a girl walking by he didn't know?  I think the school NEEDS to put a hard line down on something like that. 

I think it is extremely short sighted for parents to immediately try to rescue their poor victimized children that are suffering consequences of their own actions.  Girls that are cheerleaders and kids in sports in general are often looked up to by kids in the community.  To me the contract is understandable and I'm glad the school is actually enforcing.  If you don't want to be subject to a school's or a particular activities rules, don't send your child there or let your child participate.

• Like 9

I think punishing the cheerleader for smoking is wrong, but I have no sympathy for a kid facing serious consequences for pants-ing another kid. 

• Like 1

Well the facebook post was a follow up to the mom's rant on Twitter!! So there's that.

:confused1:   How does one manage to rant on Twitter?  Aren't all of the posts very short?

Just to explain my lack of knowledge:  I don't twit/tweet/whatever they do on Twitter.  But I agree that:

• the punishments fit
  • it's ridiculous to contact a lawyer over this
  • Mom should never have posted all of that in the first place (because what she posts about her kids will come back to bite the kids for decades into the future)
  • Like 2

• Mom should never have posted all of that in the first place (because what she posts about her kids will come back to bite the kids for decades into the future)

:iagree:  That is the child and family's private information.  Nothing you'd want to future employer of your child to see should be posted on social media.  That part is totally crazy too. 

• Like 4

And that's what's wrong with,.....a lot of things these days. Kids should feel the full consequences of their choices. And moms shouldnt air their kids' transgressions on social media. An attorney? What's to fight? Ridiculous.

Actually, I'm sure sooner or later we will have a court case of someone suing his/her parents over what the parents posted about him/her when he/she was a minor. 

• Like 6

The boy who pulled down the pants was expelled?  Sorry, I think violating someone's personal space in this way at school is pretty serious whether or not it was meant to be funny.  Suppose he had done this to a girl walking by he didn't know?  I think the school NEEDS to put a hard line down on something like that. 

I think it is extremely short sighted for parents to immediately try to rescue their poor victimized children that are suffering consequences of their own actions.  Girls that are cheerleaders and kids in sports in general are often looked up to by kids in the community.  To me the contract is understandable and I'm glad the school is actually enforcing.  If you don't want to be subject to a school's or a particular activities rules, don't send your child there or let your child participate.

I agree. To me this sounds like it was possibly a bullying incident. If the star of the football team pants you, of course you're going to shrug it off. You don't want to be blamed for ruining his scholarship chances or put yourself in a position where you could be ostracized or bullied further for complaining. I knew many bullying victims back-in-the-day who laughed along with the crowd, because they thought that was the safest way to handle the situation. It's still bullying.

• Like 7

It sounds like both of those young adults got just punishment.

I agree nicotine is extremely addictive, but nobody forced her to be a cheerleader. I would agree with you if she was being kicked out of school, because she is required to be there or be a truant, despite her addiction. But cheerleading is optional.

If an addict signs a contract in which they agree to not do what they're addicted to already, it shouldn't be surprising when it doesn't work out. Or if she started smoking after she signed and that's on her too. I can even give her a bit of a pass if she's young and is not used to being held responsible for her actions. Kids gotta learn sometime. But her mom, nope.

• Like 7

I'd be upset with a random person taking a pic of my dd and posting it on social media. Still not sure the purpose of an attorney, though.

In this instance, there was no posting of a pic to social media. The photographer took it to the school administration, according to the mom.

purplejackmama, I'm curious what, if anything, you posted in reply on FB. I'm usually of the "just stay out of it" mindset, but I was wondering if you were more brave than I am. :D

The mom wasn't doing her daughter any favors by making a public spectacle of this issue. But in a much bigger way, the mom isn't doing her daughter any favors by wanting to protect her from the natural results of her choices either.

purplejackmama, I'm curious what, if anything, you posted in reply on FB. I'm usually of the "just stay out of it" mindset, but I was wondering if you were more brave than I am. :D

The mom wasn't doing her daughter any favors by making a public spectacle of this issue. But in a much bigger way, the mom isn't doing her daughter any favors by wanting to protect her from the natural results of her choices either.

Oh gretalynne, I didn't touch those comments with a 10 ft pole. Nope. Life's too short for me to jump in there! ;)

• Like 12