Menu

What your name would be if you were born today

gingersmom

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. I'd expect those to be have been Mario or Marius; but it's just as likely the name was miscopied or misread. Basically the problem is handwritten records.

I actually know a tiny Marius, who goes by "Mars," which is adorable.

I have no idea about Mary, but when I was a kid (in NL) my best friend's dad's name was Josef* Maria (I'm thinking I'm forgetting at least one more middle name) and then the last name. I think that the catholic Maria-as-a-boys-name tends to be as a middle name though, and as far as I know the SSA website just looks at first names. But I could be wrong.

So, aside from Raelynn being my 'today' name, I'd have been:

Lorena, Jaimie, Marianne, Tisha, Denice, Maryellen, Lily, Millicent, Ferne, Ethelyn, Elna

1890s: Lavinia (which I like, although not necessarily for myself)

C's first name (not Celery) does not rank, so I had to plug in his nickname.

Today: Athan

Before: Quenton, Jerrel, Jasson, Porter, Verlon, Larwence, Jerrald, Waymond, Hercules, Bobie, Hall, Malcom.

I considered putting sic behind more than one of those... My screen is full of red squiggles. Oh, but wait! His middle name ranks:

Today: Deegan

Before: Spenser, Demarius, Lucian, Monica, Christoph, Arland, Christ, Feliciano, Rayfield, Harlon, Esco, Hilario.

LOL.Not even making any of that up. Totally Hilario.

B (whose name is also not Broccoli) would be:

Today: Abbott Ishan Aris

00s: Wilbert Dontavius Octavius

90s: Tiffany Sheridan Yusuf

80s: Marino Brion Yusef

70s: Artemio Florentino Jonnie

60s: Zoltan Haskell Britton

50s: Wheeler Christ Isom

40s: Hervey Delfino Almon

30s: Wheeler Leverne Hillary

20s: Ogden Ellie Banks

10s: Jared Asher Hadley <- Wait, this looks too normal!

00s: Verl Hilary Justice

90s: Less Salvador Guthrie

His nickname didn't make the top-1000, but his first and two middle names did.

ETA: Actually, I think it was Jozef Maria, with a z. But he went by Jos.

• Like 1

I wanted to put this in a post by itself because it's cute:

My MTF wife's unisex middle name she got from her parents would now be Walter. I think the only realistic option would be Tre. Or she'd have to come up with a name herself.

Oh, but wait! I just plugged her first name in as a girl's name (which it isn't), and got Jaelynn! We could be Jaelynn and Raelynn!

I'm completely fascinated by these weird and wonderful names! I just noticed that my name in the 1970s would be "Windy." This is a step up from "Onie" from the 1910s and "Ouida."  I'm never, ever seen these names. Are they ethnic, and if so, where from?

That's a legitimate Eastern European spelling. I can't remember if it's Polish or Hungarian or what but it is an ethnic rather than kre8tiv variation.

My oldest has the Germanic/Scandinavian variant of her name to honor MIL's heritage and it irks me when people think that we did it to be kre8tiv.

kre8tiv... now there's a good name.  Too bad I'm done having kids. :tongue_smilie:

I would be Holly. Definitely not me.

If I were a 1930s baby, I would be Phylis. If my sister were a 1930s baby, she would be Phyllis. That would definitely have been confusing.

My Aunt Phylis was born in 1929.  I always was puzzled by only one "l" in her name, as I was accustomed to seeing two.

Yes, María can definitely be a middle name for men: José María, Jesús María etc. Then there is also Mario and Mariano, of course. I have all these three names in my extended family.

I know a couple of José Marías and a couple of María Josés (this is a girl's name). Those are both common names in Venezuela and people use both your first and middle name if you're named something common like José or María.

I still think the boy Marys of the early 1900s are goofs, I've never heard it used for a boy in English ever. But, there was a boy named Sue.

I think we all would of had different names had our father or families not stepped in LOL. Well at least in my families case.

I would of been Kerensa after some virgin in a Harlequin romance novel my mother was reading (sigh, still I probably would of preferred that name) my father stepped in and refused to have me called that.

My Eldest would of been something stupid, as I came up daily with random weird names for her. I finally got an usual name for her that wasn't too weird.

My middle child would of been Byron because of our Last name (A play on words) and because I knew it would annoy my MIL a billion percent. I still chose a name that I had hoped would annoy her lol. But hubby stepped in and refused that.

My youngest I really wanted to be named Holden. Love the name, thought it was great for her (still upset about it). Everyone put their foot down and went mad (my parents, husband, parents-in-law) everyone  never-endingly harped on about it till I gave up. I named her (first & middle) without anyone knowing, after a 60's TV character I loved growing up. Still woud of been better had she been named Holden. I asked her if she wanted to have it legally changed, she said no, she likes her current name. Even my daughter doesn't like the name *cue violins*

:p

My little one got some odball names on her list: Ninfa, Laveta, and Jimmy (who names a girl Jimmy?)

Using the middle name of my DS I get some odd ones as well: Ares, Merwyn, Fread, Ott, Kathy, and Catherine (must be the female Jimmy's brothers, LOL!)

It says that my actual name was in the 700's the year I was born.... which can't be true because 1. my mother made it up and 2. Social Security has NEVER had it in the top 1000.  So maybe a name similar to mine is what they're using?

Any way my Today name would be Audra, I'd prefer to be called Audie, please.

OMG, my 1950's name is my mom's name (who was born in the 50's). 

• Like 2

My little one got some odball names on her list: Ninfa, Laveta, and Jimmy (who names a girl Jimmy?)

Using the middle name of my DS I get some odd ones as well: Ares, Merwyn, Fread, Ott, Kathy, and Catherine (must be the female Jimmy's brothers, LOL!)

I know a woman who declared she was going to name her child--no matter what gender--Freddyjim after her two favorite uncles. Fortunely Freddyjim ended up being a boy, though it us still an odd name IMO!

I'm completely fascinated by these weird and wonderful names! I just noticed that my name in the 1970s would be "Windy." This is a step up from "Onie" from the 1910s and "Ouida." I'm never, ever seen these names. Are they ethnic, and if so, where from?

I've heard of Ouida because of author Ouida Sebestyen who write "Words by Heart. One origin for this name is listed as Ouidah, City of Benin in West Africa.

A Google search shows an older English author with Ouida as her pseudonym, derived from a childhood pronunciation of Louisa.

My daughter's 1930s name is Willa Parthenia. That's a bit of a mouthful!

Aren't most first & middle name combos mouthfuls though?

My late grandmother's first & middle names were Hendrika Jacoba Cornelia Zwaantje (today - unranked Amia Christina unranked). Three middle names was not abnormal.

My mom only got a first name, Martha (today, Sadie), and decided she wanted to give her kids more options, so I have one first and one middle, and my brother one first and two middle names. We both have six syllables each, which is the same number as Willa Parthenia. Parthenia sounds sort of neat. Not sure what a nickname would be. Party?

Aria, apparently, which I don't care for a lot.

Actually, I didn't like or feel connected to any of the names suggested for any of the decades. When I was a kid, I always wished I had been named Rebecca. So, out of curiosity, I ran that name with my birth year, and it turns out I like pretty much every name mentioned for every decade better than my actual name.

Aren't most first & middle name combos mouthfuls though?

My late grandmother's first & middle names were Hendrika Jacoba Cornelia Zwaantje (today - unranked Amia Christina unranked). Three middle names was not abnormal.

My mom only got a first name, Martha (today, Sadie), and decided she wanted to give her kids more options, so I have one first and one middle, and my brother one first and two middle names. We both have six syllables each, which is the same number as Willa Parthenia. Parthenia sounds sort of neat. Not sure what a nickname would be. Party?

We have shorter combos here :) My mom believed full names sounded best with an odd # of syllables. My FULL (pre-marriage) name has just 5. Marriage added 1, so my mom's plan was thrown off :). DH has 6, both kids have 5, my sister has 5, my dad has 4, my mom has just 3 (no middle name!)

If Ancestry.com is to be believed, I have an ancestor named Mintie, although it appears it was a nickname for Arminta.

Harriet Tubman was born Araminta Ross and called Minty.

I have an ancestor named Snowflake. Her siblings have very vanilla names like William and Elizabeth but she was born during a raging snowstorm and got a unique name!

We have shorter combos here :) My mom believed full names sounded best with an odd # of syllables. My FULL (pre-marriage) name has just 5. Marriage added 1, so my mom's plan was thrown off :). DH has 6, both kids have 5, my sister has 5, my dad has 4, my mom has just 3 (no middle name!)

My maiden last name was just one syllable, so 6+1 is odd. Now my last name has two syllables. I don't think odd or even really matters though - it probably depends on the name.