Menu

s/o Feeling frumpy and not very fashion-forward

Just Kate

I have enjoyed reading all of the recent threads about fashion. I have never been very "into" fashion, although I've always enjoyed looking nice. Over the weekend, I took my ds out of town to the zoo. I pulled out my capri pants, since it was a nice spring day. Imagine my surprise as I looked around the zoo and realized that I alone (well, along with a few grandmas) was wearing capris! Most of the moms were wearing jeans. Ugh! And then I came home to find Quill's thread about capri pants. Made me LOL.

So, I need to go shopping anyway and I would like to find some new, cute clothes. I am 39 years old and wear a size 12. I don't want to break the bank and I love to shop online!

Who wants to share some fun outfits?

How about some good websites/blogs for me to read?

Favorite stores?

Please help this frumpy mom!!! 

• Like 1

I'll join in with you! I don't have a clue for summer clothes that look nice. I can figure out jeans and a tops that are cute, but I get so stinking hot in the summertime.

Also, in the Southern humidity, dresses can be kind of uncomfortable. (sweaty legs touching...ick)

• Like 2

I have enjoyed reading all of the recent threads about fashion. I have never been very "into" fashion, although I've always enjoyed looking nice. Over the weekend, I took my ds out of town to the zoo. I pulled out my capri pants, since it was a nice spring day. Imagine my surprise as I looked around the zoo and realized that I alone (well, along with a few grandmas) was wearing capris! Most of the moms were wearing jeans. Ugh! And then I came home to find Quill's thread about capri pants. Made me LOL.

So, I need to go shopping anyway and I would like to find some new, cute clothes. I am 39 years old and wear a size 12. I don't want to break the bank and I love to shop online!

Favorite stores?

I own only one pair of jeans, because I have no desire to wear denim every.single.day, especially not when it's hot (and in the case of Texas living, also humid). I want some nice, colorful capris with flattering tops in warmer weather. Jeans are so...uniform. 

And tennies. Have you noticed the jeans-and-tennies look?

As I said in the other thread, I am tall, and my capris usually end a couple of inches below my knee, maybe mid-calf, and they are not boatlegs. :-) And I iron them. Really. I don't wear tennies unless I'm doing something more athletic, or hiking, or something. In fact, I haven't worn my tennies in over a year, maybe two. I can dress in the morning in my capris and matching top, put on my Merrell slides or other cute sandals, a little bit of jewelry, and I'm as cute as I'm gonna get, lol. Even if I'm staying home. I don't believe in being frumpy.

I have resorted to buying from Blair.com. I have to be careful, because my grandmother would buy some of those clothes, lol, but capris and shorts, and knit tops...I can find them. Also, I refuse to buy pants that do not sit at my natural waist, and Blair has them.

Funny because I looked to see who (if anyone!) was wearing capris (other than me) when I was out and about over the weekend.

I was at an event on a univ. campus, so I saw a lot of jeans and very short shorts on the younger crowd.  I was not the only "mom" wearing capris.  I also saw a few mom-types wearing longer skirts (knee length or maxi length, jersey/knit material).  

FWIW, my 8 yr old was wearing cargo capris and a tie-dyed t-shirt and I thought she looked "cool."  But then again, I still dress that child, so who's to say.... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Funny because I looked to see who (if anyone!) was wearing capris (other than me) when I was out and about over the weekend.

I was at an event on a univ. campus, so I saw a lot of jeans and very short shorts on the younger crowd.  I was not the only "mom" wearing capris.  I also saw a few mom-types wearing longer skirts (knee length or maxi length, jersey/knit material).  

FWIW, my 8 yr old was wearing cargo capris and a tie-dyed t-shirt and I thought she looked "cool."  But then again, I still dress that child, so who's to say.... :rolleyes:

Well, I was pretty surprised at the zoo over the weekend. We were out of town, so I had packed my clothes the day before. I focused on the fact that the high that day was going to be in the high 60s, but ignored the part where the temps were going to only be in the 40s that morning. I wore my capris because it was all I had, although it was a little chilly. Of course, that may be why I was alone in my choice of clothing. But really, almost everyone was wearing jeans. I'm pretty sure I need a new look!

I started wearing skorts a few summers ago. I have a couple of denim ones that work better than jeans in the Texas heat. (You must look for them. Some skorts are better than others.)  They hit me above the knee--my legs are one of my best assets so I'm okay with that. Capris make me look stumpy.

Skorts are cooler, too. Plus they work well with simple tee shirts or cute tops. Add fun sandals and nice earrings and make sure my hair is presentable to finish things off.

I have a couple of sleeveless, sheath dresses that can be worn with cute flat sandals. The older I get the less I like bare arms, so I may pair a little light weight topper to these as needed.

• Like 3

I'm afraid I'm completely useless to help, but I feel your pain. I just gave away 2/3 of my wardrobe, because I've been holding on to them in the hopes that those styles would come back. These are nice, high-quality pants and skirts and whatnot that I've had since college, but... yeah. 

Bright side: my closet is now nicely organized. I've made peace with the fact that I basically have four things to wear, in different color combinations.

Here are a couple capsules that appeal to me. I would add a couple maxi skirts vs the shorts. I only wear shorts at home. I usually look for outfits that appeal to me then hit the Goodwill to see what I can find in a similar vein. If there is something I especially want and can't find I check Target, etc. I figure these are clothes I'm only going to use a season or two not classics. It took me until my late 40's to find an interest in fashion so I have no idea if this works for others or not but I need concrete examples and then I can find pieces for me in my price range. I also go to stores whose " look" I like and observe the mannequins, then walk down the block to the resale places and see if I can come close.

http://youlookfab.com/2014/05/16/capsule-casual-and-comfy-for-summer/

http://youlookfab.com/2015/04/10/capsule-summer-casual-wear/

Well, I was pretty surprised at the zoo over the weekend. We were out of town, so I had packed my clothes the day before. I focused on the fact that the high that day was going to be in the high 60s, but ignored the part where the temps were going to only be in the 40s that morning. I wore my capris because it was all I had, although it was a little chilly. Of course, that may be why I was alone in my choice of clothing. But really, almost everyone was wearing jeans. I'm pretty sure I need a new look!

I'm far from fashionable (never have been, never will be, have no desire to invest the time and effort into it), but given the weather you describe I would have been wearing jeans, too.  So I'm not sure your experience at the zoo was a good one to base fashion choices on.

• Like 5

Here are a couple capsules that appeal to me. I would add a couple maxi skirts vs the shorts. I only wear shorts at home. I usually look for outfits that appeal to me then hit the Goodwill to see what I can find in a similar vein. If there is something I especially want and can't find I check Target, etc. I figure these are clothes I'm only going to use a season or two not classics. It took me until my late 40's to find an interest in fashion so I have no idea if this works for others or not but I need concrete examples and then I can find pieces for me in my price range. I also go to stores whose " look" I like and observe the mannequins, then walk down the block to the resale places and see if I can come close.

http://youlookfab.com/2014/05/16/capsule-casual-and-comfy-for-summer/

http://youlookfab.com/2015/04/10/capsule-summer-casual-wear/

I'm far from fashionable (never have been, never will be, have no desire to invest the time and effort into it), but given the weather you describe I would have been wearing jeans, too.  So I'm not sure your experience at the zoo was a good one to base fashion choices on.

First, I love the examples you gave above. This is exactly what I'm looking for!

As for the jeans thing at the zoo...I agree. The weather was a little cold (much cooler than I expected), but people were still dressed with a summery look. I started noticing that the only women who were wearing capris were MUCH older than me!

• Like 1

My 15 and 13 year old dds wore capris to school today. They were far from the only ones. Capris are still worn around here and not only by the older crowd.

That said, we do a lot of shopping at Old Navy. Their clothes seem to last a while here.

Op the good news is that in less time than you think your dd will be telling you what 'not' to wear. :D

LOL...very true! My dd is only 7, yet she loves fashion. I have found myself asking her opinion on my clothing choices before. She "gets" fashion...sadly, I don't.  :o

• Like 1

I can't help either. I'm a jeans and tshirt kind of gal. Even in hot weather I wear jeans when going out. Shorts are for the house only. I don't even know what classics really means. When I think classics, I think of black trousers and a white button down shirt. I used to wear skirts and loved them, but the majority of them were denim and after the bruhaha we had on the board a long time ago about homeschoolers wearing denim, I donated all of them to Good Will. I don't know where to shop for skirts and I don't like buying online because I need to see it on to see if it looks and feels right. Personally, I think capris have been around a very long time and don't go out of style. Some styles are nicer than others though.

• Like 1

So, it depends on your budget, but I've enjoyed Stitch Fix a lot.  They've sent things that are flattering and "me" even though I know I'd never pick them off the rack in a store.  Plus, I love getting a box of surprises in the mail.  It isn't totally budget friendly, but I've found pieces that I feel were reasonably priced.  If you are the kind that likes to shop sales or coupons then it might not be for you.

(full disclosure -- that's a referral link, so I get a little bit of credit with them if anyone uses it to order)

• Like 1

So, it depends on your budget, but I've enjoyed Stitch Fix a lot.  They've sent things that are flattering and "me" even though I know I'd never pick them off the rack in a store.  Plus, I love getting a box of surprises in the mail.  It isn't totally budget friendly, but I've found pieces that I feel were reasonably priced.  If you are the kind that likes to shop sales or coupons then it might not be for you.

(full disclosure -- that's a referral link, so I get a little bit of credit with them if anyone uses it to order)

What a neat idea. But I checked their sizing chart and they suggested I'm a small dress size. That's can't possibly be right. I buy large shirts because of my chest. How does one choose a dress size? Why do they need a dress size if I wouldn't even want dresses? I'd love some skirts and cute tops though.

What a neat idea. But I checked their sizing chart and they suggested I'm a small dress size. That's can't possibly be right. I buy large shirts because of my chest. How does one choose a dress size? Why do they need a dress size if I wouldn't even want dresses? I'd love some skirts and cute tops though.

When you fill out the style profile it is super detailed.  You can tell them you never want dresses.  You can give them measurements and such and write notes about sizing (or any other preferences).  They'll even look at a pinterest board you create (if you want to go that far, I never did!) to see what kind of stuff you like.

When it warms up I trade my jeans for dresses and skirts. I will wear shorts under my skirt if it's hot enough that dresses are less than comfy in the inner thigh area.

I am not a fashion maven though and would be wearing the jeans, band shirt and cardigan I am wearing right now even if it were totally out. I have a lunch with an old work friend and will put on converse before I leave.

• Like 1

I shop at the Loft.  It seems like every other week, they have a 40% sale.

My staple is black jeans (I like the Loft skinny/curvy style) and either a long sweater or a longer sleeveless blouse.  I find I prefer tops on the longer side.  The Loft usually has some that I like.

In the summer I wear Bermuda-style shorts.  :)

I'm in the process of trying to redo/redefine my style. My closet is too full of tired 'mom' clothes that I've had for years & years. (Always bought new clothes for the kids, not so much for me.) Pre-kids, I used to have style & I'm not sure why/how I lost it so badly, but I did. I want it back, lol!  :willy_nilly:  I decided recently to seriously change the sad state of my wardrobe, cull my stuff in a big way (spent part of last week doing this bit & sent loads for donation), & update my stuff (still in process).

I like some of the ideas & advice at into-mind.com. For example, she has ideas of 24 different silhouettes/proportions to try for Spring. I also really like her 10 Step Wardrobe Revamp. I like these strategies better than just randomly trying to go out & find better/more fashionable pieces that won't end up mixing well; I want to end up with a cohesive whole. I also love this capsule wardrobe (completely my style!!), but it's a little dressy overall for my life right now (I would replace the blazers & one of the dresses w/ additional casual wear). Still, I keep it in mind as a guide to shapes, colors, styles I want to end up with in my closet. And, a fun blog I discovered very recently is The yogastic shopping planner. I really enjoyed reading about her culling of her closet, then creating/using a randomizing computer program to pull together outfits for her from what she owns. I think that's a fun way to consider some new possibilities w/in your own closet. I did a trial run of it myself last week; one day, wearing what the randomizer suggested (orange graphic print tee, knit charcoal pencil skirt, gray scarf w/ owls, casual Keds-style sneakers), I got complimented by the guy seating dh, ds, & I at lunch in a restaurant that day. Hey, that's a bonus! It's been a long, long time since a younger guy complimented my outfit. The outfit was not a combo I would have thought about nor would I have normally considered wearing my pencil skirt for everyday wear, but why not? It's knit & comfy, similar (but nicer) than shorts & made a good base for a cute, casual outfit on a warm day.

Fun topic; it's one I have researched & thought about a lot lately for myself!

ETA: I also really love the small, affordable wardrobe that Bea at the Zero Waste Home puts together for herself. Another great source of ideas. More related posts from her website:

Zero Waste Closet

A simple, easy to carry wardrobe

Mini-Wardrobe Fave: The Striped Shirt

Mini-Wardrobe Fave: The Red Dress

50 ways to wear a men's dress shirt: I did it!

Mini-Wardrobe Fave: The White Blouse

Mini-Wardrobe Fave: The LBD

A photo of her closet from a different article

• Like 6

For overall fashion, I just check with dh before I head out the door to be sure I don't look anything like a Duggar. No disrespect to those who like Duggar style. I have no personal issue with the style. It's just not my style.

I am conservative. I try to dress in that fine line between modest and trendy. I do fall on the frumpy side more than I'd like. Currently, I am trying to master the art of a stylish capsule wardrobe. Sorry to hear capris are out! That is challenging for this 40 something gal.

I Have Nothing To Wear, by Jill Martin is pretty good for loosing the frump.  My library has a couple of copies, that are almost always checked out.  It was pretty cool with lost of pictures and very easy to follow.  

If I remember correctly, it was a boardie who recommended it a few years ago.

When I'm no longer pregnant and at a size that I'm willing to invest in clothes again (other than te maternity things I got recently, which are surprisingly trendy), I'll get skorts and things for summer from Title Nine and other clothes from Soft Surroundings and Sundance style things. DH likes me in jeans and white button down shirts. Couldn't be too much easier. ;-)

Favorite stores?

Well, FWIW, it hit 77 here today and no one's wearing capris yet. I don't usually see anyone else wearing them until May or early June.

I went shopping with a friend who grew up in Beverly Hills for a while with a fashionable mom.  I grew up with a mom who had no problem wearing holiday themed sweaters.   This is what you do (why I never figured this out, I don't know).  You go into a store and find something you like.  A shirt, a sweater, a skirt, etc.  You look for the cutest dressed sales lady (maybe even with your similar body type)  and ask her to help you make an outfit.  For example, I liked a skirt but had no idea how to make it into a cute going on a date with dh outfit.  The sales woman paired it with a simple long sleeved black t-shirt, a glittery gold scarf (on very reduced clearance I might add), told me to wear it with black tights and black boots.  Bam!  A non-frumpy outfit!  I got some cute outfits on that trip that I never would have picked out on my own.  I have learned that the sales women are your friends - not just annoying people trying to "help" you so they can get commissions.  

I am heavier than I prefer right now so I'm not looking to pay new clothing prices for things.  I've been using Thredup and really loving it.  It's used clothes in great condition (sometimes new with tags) at discount prices.  It's like shopping at a quality woman's resale shop but with tons of options.  I recently signed up for their app and regularly get discount codes for 10% off my purchase.

So far I've liked the fit of most everything I've bought.  My first big order I got 25 things and I believe I returned 5 of them.  I also enjoy pinterest for finding fresh outfit ideas.

http://www.thredup.com/r/7ATUSO

(full disclosure: the above is a referral link.  If you sign up & shop at Thredup, you get $10 free to spend as well as I get $10 free to spend) No pressure to use the link :-)

You can also sell your used clothing to them.  I haven't tried this yet, but plan to soon.

• Like 1

I went shopping with a friend who grew up in Beverly Hills for a while with a fashionable mom. I grew up with a mom who had no problem wearing holiday themed sweaters. This is what you do (why I never figured this out, I don't know). You go into a store and find something you like. A shirt, a sweater, a skirt, etc. You look for the cutest dressed sales lady (maybe even with your similar body type) and ask her to help you make an outfit. For example, I liked a skirt but had no idea how to make it into a cute going on a date with dh outfit. The sales woman paired it with a simple long sleeved black t-shirt, a glittery gold scarf (on very reduced clearance I might add), told me to wear it with black tights and black boots. Bam! A non-frumpy outfit! I got some cute outfits on that trip that I never would have picked out on my own. I have learned that the sales women are your friends - not just annoying people trying to "help" you so they can get commissions.

Ooh, I love this idea!