Menu

What sport instead of gymnastics?

Jenn in CA

I need help thinking out of the box. My 7yodd is super-strong, looks like a bodybuilder already. She's very flexible too. I know she'd be great at competitive gym. But I want other ideas too.

What else could someone do besides gymnastics who has those strengths?

She did tennis lessons. She is very bad, and doesn't really like it. I think she's not super-competitive. Maybe it's her age.

Swimming the butterfly stroke, that requires more flexibility and strength than the other strokes.

Fencing, archery or martial arts would need the flexibility/agility too.

Bowling if she haven't tried. Kids bowl for free in summer at a few bowling franchises.

• Like 1

How tall do you think she will be?  I have a short, muscular swimmer.  She was very muscular even at that age and, in fact, looks a lot like a gymnast (she looks more like a gymnast than her gymnast sister; don't tell them I said that).  She would be an even more amazing swimmer, though, if she were 5'5" instead of not quite 5'2".  

ETA:  And I would say not ballet.  If she is muscular, she is going to fight that if she ever wants to pursue a professional dance career.  I know all about Misty Copeland, and she is amazing, but she makes news because she is by far the exception.  

• Like 1

Track events.  My cousins were shorter (very talented, sought after by high profile coaches) gymnasts who decided to go the track route.  They both had successful college careers in track.  One of them did hurdles, the other specialized in jumping and pole vault.  Gymnasts are spectacular at pole vaulting due to the intense training with their core muscles.

• Like 2

How tall is she? Tall for her age, average, or short? Is she fearful/timid or more aggressive/assertive? Is she willing to take risks? Does she mind physical contact like getting bumped in a game? How is her hand eye coordination?

Whatever sport she wants to pursue. She is 7 and does not need to pick a sports career.

If she is eager to try different sports to see what she likes here are some suggestions:

Rock climbing

Mma

Jujitsu

Wrestling

Tennis

Track and field

Speed skating

Rodeo

Parkour

Volleyball

Cheerleading

Baseball

Football

Soccer

Basketball

Raquetball

Lacrosse

Golf

Boxing

Whatever her interests are.

• Like 4

Thanks for all the ideas! 

I think she is tall for her age. She is 7.5, 4'4"-ish and about 68 lbs. Made of solid granite. Wears youth size 3 shoe already. :)  

Her hand eye coordination is bad. She doesn't seem to get team games/sports. It takes her a really long time to learn rules of a team game. I can't explain it. I'd say she is more fearful. She doesn't do well w/ activities that require fast reflexes.

That's why gym is so great. Individual, no time pressure, no scoring rules. I think she likes the artistry mainly. But I don't think she's gonna have a dancers body for ballet .or something else artistic.

We have a synchronized swim team for kids in the area. Swimming seems like a natural fit. She's got gigantically broad shoulders. I am afraid of early morning swim meets. Maybe she'll just do lessons for a while.

Rock climbing is a great idea; we have a place close by.

I know she's just a kid, and I like the idea of her doing gymnastics now as a base for other sports in the future, but she's at the highest rec level already, and I just don't know if we as a family want to jump into the team lifestyle.

How tall do you think she will be?  I have a short, muscular swimmer.  She was very muscular even at that age and, in fact, looks a lot like a gymnast (she looks more like a gymnast than her gymnast sister; don't tell them I said that).  She would be an even more amazing swimmer, though, if she were 5'5" instead of not quite 5'2".  

ETA:  And I would say not ballet.  If she is muscular, she is going to fight that if she ever wants to pursue a professional dance career.  I know all about Misty Copeland, and she is amazing, but she makes news because she is by far the exception.  

I just have to say that I am lol'ing at the idea of not suggesting dance to a child b/c of what might happen at the professional level.  The chances of anything like that happening are so, so miniscule that to make decisions based on something like that seems odd to me.

It is much more likely that a child, even one interested in dance, will take lessons for a few years and move on. I can't imagine limiting my child based on something like how muscular she is.  I say that all with the full knowledge that the OP's kid prob has no interest in dance etc. I am addressing this in general.

A short kid shouldn't bother taking basketball lessons at the Y?  An uncoordinated kid shouldn't try martial arts? How are we to ever improve or challenge ourselves if we only play to our strengths? My kids sure aren't piano prodigies (to say the least) but I am not making them quit lessons. 

It's just odd to me b/c my older boy is in a ballet company and my younger son is on the same path. This school does turn out professional dancers but that doesn't rule who can or should take classes. There are dancers of all shapes and sizes in the company. They are chosen for their skill as dancers.  But, long before trying out for the company, which not all the senior dancers do, there are years of lessons and lots of fun. It seems a shame to put limitations on a child based on their prospective professional aspirations. My niece is 'solidly built' (very tall and muscular, wide shoulders, nothing delicate about her) and has been dancing for years. She is a talented and graceful dancer and a credit to her school. She has been accepted to several competitive summer programs this year.

I just don't want someone who has a kid who wants to try dance or basketball or track or soccer or whatever turn their kid off that particular activity  b/c she or he does not have the right whatever as the professionals.

• Like 9

We have diving clubs for kids in elementary school and up. Not sure if that's common or not?

Maybe it's regional or in larger cities?  In most areas I've lived high schools with indoor pools have diving, and maybe a handful of outdoor pools have summer diving lessons, but teams are reserved for high schools.  Could be because I've lived in small towns in the south and it's just too cold or expensive for the towns in the North to have that many resources?

Does your gym have XCEL? That's kind of what it's designed for-the intermediate stage for kids who still want to do gymnastics and do a couple of competitions, but not do full JO. Since she likes gymnastics, it seems like that might be what to look for.

I do like cheer, but honestly, if your DD, at age 7, is topping out of rec gymnastics, she'd probably be encouraged to go into competitive cheer pretty quick, too, and that can easily hit many of the same drawbacks as gymnastics as far as expense, time, and travel.

• Like 2

I just have to say that I am lol'ing at the idea of not suggesting dance to a child b/c of what might happen at the professional level. The chances of anything like that happening are so, so miniscule that to make decisions based on something like that seems odd to me.

It is much more likely that a child, even one interested in dance, will take lessons for a few years and move on. I can't imagine limiting my child based on something like how muscular she is. I say that all with the full knowledge that the OP's kid prob has no interest in dance etc. I am addressing this in general.

A short kid shouldn't bother taking basketball lessons at the Y? An uncoordinated kid shouldn't try martial arts? How are we to ever improve or challenge ourselves if we only play to our strengths? My kids sure aren't piano prodigies (to say the least) but I am not making them quit lessons.

It's just odd to me b/c my older boy is in a ballet company and my younger son is on the same path. This school does turn out professional dancers but that doesn't rule who can or should take classes. There are dancers of all shapes and sizes in the company. They are chosen for their skill as dancers. But, long before trying out for the company, which not all the senior dancers do, there are years of lessons and lots of fun. It seems a shame to put limitations on a child based on their prospective professional aspirations. My niece is 'solidly built' (very tall and muscular, wide shoulders, nothing delicate about her) and has been dancing for years. She is a talented and graceful dancer and a credit to her school. She has been accepted to several competitive summer programs this year.

I just don't want someone who has a kid who wants to try dance or basketball or track or soccer or whatever turn their kid off that particular activity b/c she or he does not have the right whatever as the professionals.

Come back to me in a few years when you have watched kids have to quit their sport or dance because their bodies just won't take them any further. Watch her sob her heart out because she is too tall for gymnastics or too short to swim in college. Watch her starve her body to make it look like the professionals' because her heart's desire is to be a ballerina. Would that still make you laugh? Because I have seen it happen over and over, and it sucks. And any parent who takes body type into account when steering her child into a sport or activity should be applauded not ridiculed.
  • Like 2

Does your gym have XCEL? That's kind of what it's designed for-the intermediate stage for kids who still want to do gymnastics and do a couple of competitions, but not do full JO. Since she likes gymnastics, it seems like that might be what to look for.

I do like cheer, but honestly, if your DD, at age 7, is topping out of rec gymnastics, she'd probably be encouraged to go into competitive cheer pretty quick, too, and that can easily hit many of the same drawbacks as gymnastics as far as expense, time, and travel.

I agree; check on Xcel.  Also see if there are any T&T (trampoline/tumbling) teams going.  They're less time-intensive.

Otherwise, I would check on running or diving.

Jumping into team is really a HUGE step.  It's very consuming.  Rebecca's been on a team for 3 years now.  If you do decide to try it out, you can ask me anything!

• Like 1

Come back to me in a few years when you have watched kids have to quit their sport or dance because their bodies just won't take them any further. Watch her sob her heart out because she is too tall for gymnastics or too short to swim in college. Watch her starve her body to make it look like the professionals' because her heart's desire is to be a ballerina. Would that still make you laugh? Because I have seen it happen over and over, and it sucks. And any parent who takes body type into account when steering her child into a sport or activity should be applauded not ridiculed.

I agree with this, especially if you have the kind of kid who will throw themselves heart and soul into an activity AND who will be upset if they cannot meet the top standards for that activity. 

Every parent needs to know their own child. Some are just going to do an activity casually, some are going to commit to the activity and being their best even if they don't have the ideal build, and some...would crumble under impossible dreams.

So, we should only take possible professional aspirations into account when we let our kids participate in sports or dance? Even a 7 year old? Most people would never try anything at all, if that were the case. I was pretty sure my younger son didn't have the 'right' body for ballet, but now at 10 it is clear than not only might he be much less square that I thought, but (don't tell him this) he might be the better dancer of my two. I am glad I didn't tell him at 7 that he couldn't participate.

I don't feel the need to shelter my kids like that.  If you like to dance but don't have the 'right' body to dance professionally, well, I can introduce you to a whole lot of kids who do have the right body but not the the talent to cut it professionally. Life is funny that way. What if all of them just dance because they like it?  What if they learn what there is to learn from the discipline and dedication of the art and apply that to the rest of their lives?  Oh dear, what a problem. The fact is that 99.99% are never going to dance beyond high school, so limiting what they can do based on being muscular or short is really taking away a lot of options.

If a coach or a teacher is letting a young athlete practice to the point that her body won't take it any longer, then I wonder about that coach. Because unless you are an actual Olympic hopeful, it's a hobby. And a hobby is for learning and achieving, not wrecking your body and the teachers in your life should know that. And after spending a whole lot of time with professional, but not elite, dancers, I have never seen them starve. They are working athletes and they eat like very healthy horses. Does it happen? Of course. I think eating disorders happen in a lot of sports and with a lot of non-athletes as well. But a good school, one that is realistic about the actual prospects of their students,  doesn't reinforce those attitudes. It sounds like your daughter got caught up in a bad school. I am really sorry about that. Of course that is upsetting to see and it must have been terrible for her.

• Like 6

So, we should only take possible professional aspirations into account when we let our kids participate in sports or dance? Even a 7 year old? Most people would never try anything at all, if that were the case. I was pretty sure my younger son didn't have the 'right' body for ballet, but now at 10 it is clear than not only might he be much less square that I thought, but (don't tell him this) he might be the better dancer of my two. I am glad I didn't tell him at 7 that he couldn't participate.

I don't feel the need to shelter my kids like that. If you like to dance but don't have the 'right' body to dance professionally, well, I can introduce you to a whole lot of kids who do have the right body but not the the talent to cut it professionally. Life is funny that way. What if all of them just dance because they like it? What if they learn what there is to learn from the discipline and dedication of the art and apply that to the rest of their lives? Oh dear, what a problem. The fact is that 99.99% are never going to dance beyond high school, so limiting what they can do based on being muscular or short is really taking away a lot of options.

If a coach or a teacher is letting a young athlete practice to the point that her body won't take it any longer, then I wonder about that coach. Because unless you are an actual Olympic hopeful, it's a hobby. And a hobby is for learning and achieving, not wrecking your body and the teachers in your life should know that. And after spending a whole lot of time with professional, but not elite, dancers, I have never seen them starve. They are working athletes and they eat like very healthy horses. Does it happen? Of course. I think eating disorders happen in a lot of sports and with a lot of non-athletes as well. But a good school, one that is realistic about the actual prospects of their students, doesn't reinforce those attitudes. It sounds like your daughter got caught up in a bad school. I am really sorry about that. Of course that is upsetting to see and it must have been terrible for her.

This.

If I was told my son should not because he did not have the right build/height/strength I would leave and probably report the coach as unprofessional if there is a governing body.

• Like 1

This.

If I was told my son should not because he did not have the right build/height/strength I would leave and probably report the coach as unprofessional if there is a governing body.

But that is not the situation under discussion.

This is a parent, who brought up her child's build and wondered what sports might be a good fit. 

Since build was mentioned in the OP, some subsequent responses have taken it into account. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

Eating disorders, anxiety, perfectionism, all run in my family. Some activities, such as serious ballet, do bring body type to the forefront; I have one child at least for whom that would be an almost guaranteed disaster.

Other children...not so much. My son who wants to do gymnastics is likely to end up over six feet tall; not ideal for a gymnast. But he's not so much an idealist and I think he could enjoy and get a lot out of the sport. I'm not going to discourage him because of body type.

• Like 1

So, we should only take possible professional aspirations into account when we let our kids participate in sports or dance?

It is our role as parents to guide our children.  Encouraging a child in an activity in which he or she is more likely to be successful is called being a grown-up.

Even a 7 year old? Most people would never try anything at all, if that were the case. I was pretty sure my younger son didn't have the 'right' body for ballet, but now at 10 it is clear than not only might he be much less square that I thought, but (don't tell him this) he might be the better dancer of my two. I am glad I didn't tell him at 7 that he couldn't participate.

I don't feel the need to shelter my kids like that. 

Nobody's sheltering their kids.  Guiding kids isn't sheltering them.  It's called, again, parenting.

If you like to dance but don't have the 'right' body to dance professionally, well, I can introduce you to a whole lot of kids who do have the right body but not the the talent to cut it professionally.

So?

Life is funny that way. What if all of them just dance because they like it?  What if they learn what there is to learn from the discipline and dedication of the art and apply that to the rest of their lives?  Oh dear, what a problem. The fact is that 99.99% are never going to dance beyond high school, so limiting what they can do based on being muscular or short is really taking away a lot of options.

The question wasn't, "Should my daughter dance?"  It was, "What is likely to be a good fit for her personality and body type?"  Not the same thing, at all.

If a coach or a teacher is letting a young athlete practice to the point that her body won't take it any longer, then I wonder about that coach.

This isn't what I said; there are limits to what a body type can do.  A coach can't make you taller or shorter or have a naturally lean body when you're predisposed to more muscle mass.

Because unless you are an actual Olympic hopeful, it's a hobby. And a hobby is for learning and achieving, not wrecking your body and the teachers in your life should know that. And after spending a whole lot of time with professional, but not elite, dancers, I have never seen them starve. They are working athletes and they eat like very healthy horses. Does it happen? Of course. I think eating disorders happen in a lot of sports and with a lot of non-athletes as well. But a good school, one that is realistic about the actual prospects of their students,  doesn't reinforce those attitudes. It sounds like your daughter got caught up in a bad school. ​We're not talking about my daughter.

I am really sorry about that.

No, you're not. 

Of course that is upsetting to see and it must have been terrible for her.

I agree; check on Xcel.  Also see if there are any T&T (trampoline/tumbling) teams going.  They're less time-intensive.

Otherwise, I would check on running or diving.

Jumping into team is really a HUGE step.  It's very consuming.  Rebecca's been on a team for 3 years now.  If you do decide to try it out, you can ask me anything!

Thanks. Our gym doesn't have Xcel but I think they used to. However, they do have T&T team, and that's good to hear that it's less time-intensive. Would you say it's less hard on the body?

Thx for your openness about team too. I have always wanted her to do team. I have good friends whose kids went really far w/gym. But now the reality of the time commitment is scaring me.

• Like 1

Circus if they have it. Silk work requires strength and flexibility and tumbling is just gymnastics. But the gym classes my kids go to go to nine and only then would you have to go to a gym that had competition options. Do you live somewhere surf lifesaving is an option?

So, we should only take possible professional aspirations into account when we let our kids participate in sports or dance?

It is our role as parents to guide our children.  Encouraging a child in an activity in which he or she is more likely to be successful is called being a grown-up.

Even a 7 year old? Most people would never try anything at all, if that were the case. I was pretty sure my younger son didn't have the 'right' body for ballet, but now at 10 it is clear than not only might he be much less square that I thought, but (don't tell him this) he might be the better dancer of my two. I am glad I didn't tell him at 7 that he couldn't participate.

I don't feel the need to shelter my kids like that. 

Nobody's sheltering their kids.  Guiding kids isn't sheltering them.  It's called, again, parenting.

If you like to dance but don't have the 'right' body to dance professionally, well, I can introduce you to a whole lot of kids who do have the right body but not the the talent to cut it professionally.

So?

Life is funny that way. What if all of them just dance because they like it?  What if they learn what there is to learn from the discipline and dedication of the art and apply that to the rest of their lives?  Oh dear, what a problem. The fact is that 99.99% are never going to dance beyond high school, so limiting what they can do based on being muscular or short is really taking away a lot of options.

The question wasn't, "Should my daughter dance?"  It was, "What is likely to be a good fit for her personality and body type?"  Not the same thing, at all.

If a coach or a teacher is letting a young athlete practice to the point that her body won't take it any longer, then I wonder about that coach.

This isn't what I said; there are limits to what a body type can do.  A coach can't make you taller or shorter or have a naturally lean body when you're predisposed to more muscle mass.

Because unless you are an actual Olympic hopeful, it's a hobby. And a hobby is for learning and achieving, not wrecking your body and the teachers in your life should know that. And after spending a whole lot of time with professional, but not elite, dancers, I have never seen them starve. They are working athletes and they eat like very healthy horses. Does it happen? Of course. I think eating disorders happen in a lot of sports and with a lot of non-athletes as well. But a good school, one that is realistic about the actual prospects of their students,  doesn't reinforce those attitudes. It sounds like your daughter got caught up in a bad school. ​We're not talking about my daughter.

I am really sorry about that.

No, you're not. 

Of course that is upsetting to see and it must have been terrible for her.

Well, we aren't talking about my daughter because I don't have any so.... who were you talking about in your pp?

And how do you know I am not sorry? I would genuinely be sorry for anyone who had to see their kid go through what you described.  What leads you to to accuse me of lying? 

Seems like I have touched a real nerve here.  Is it the sports issue, or are you just touchy when some disagrees with you? I'd say I'm sorry but...

It's soccer season here. :). I know you said DD has poor hand eye coordination, but there are so many soccer clubs to cater to so many skill levels it would give her a chance to develop that hand Eye coordination. It might be worth looking into a skill development soccer program so that she can develop her hand eye coordination, which would open up other sports to her. In other words, instead of playing to her strengths, strengthen and improve her current weaknesses.

My daughter is taking a break from team after several years (I wouldn't mind making it permanent.) She has the standard gymnast body form. She is a good diver and excellent swimmer. But, right now she is in a children's triathlon training program. She will compete her first triathlon next month. She is finding the training fun yet challenging.

• Like 1

I don't feel the need to shelter my kids like that.  If you like to dance but don't have the 'right' body to dance professionally, well, I can introduce you to a whole lot of kids who do have the right body but not the the talent to cut it professionally. Life is funny that way. What if all of them just dance because they like it?  What if they learn what there is to learn from the discipline and dedication of the art and apply that to the rest of their lives?  Oh dear, what a problem. The fact is that 99.99% are never going to dance beyond high school, so limiting what they can do based on being muscular or short is really taking away a lot of options.

If a coach or a teacher is letting a young athlete practice to the point that her body won't take it any longer, then I wonder about that coach. Because unless you are an actual Olympic hopeful, it's a hobby. And a hobby is for learning and achieving, not wrecking your body and the teachers in your life should know that. And after spending a whole lot of time with professional, but not elite, dancers, I have never seen them starve. They are working athletes and they eat like very healthy horses. Does it happen? Of course. I think eating disorders happen in a lot of sports and with a lot of non-athletes as well. But a good school, one that is realistic about the actual prospects of their students,  doesn't reinforce those attitudes. It sounds like your daughter got caught up in a bad school. I am really sorry about that. Of course that is upsetting to see and it must have been terrible for her.

I disagree with plansrme that body type determines one's sporting destiny. Whether you have the perfect body type or not for a given sport, your chances of making it at the professional level are still nil. 

However, I think what must be mentioned is the intense commercialization of youth sports over the past decade or so. What I hate about youth sports is it now costs so much in terms of money, time, training, etc., that we have to be picky about what ds can try.  And it's not even just sports!  Learning an instrument, art classes, etc., all seem to be more and more a professional production these days. 

So, from the other thread I just started, you could say that since ds is short for his age, he probably shouldn't be an ice hockey goalie.  I mean, look at the NHL--ne'ry a goalie over 6' is to be had.  But, he's really good at it, and he enjoys it.  And even if he did make 6', I don't see his chances of making NHL shooting up.  There might be a miniscule 0.000125% increase, lol.

Spending time and money there does realistically mean we're not spending it somewhere, say, like gymnastics, where I'm sure his short stature would afford him an illustrious Olympic career.

• Like 2

Melissa,

While I agree with you that professional aspirations not being realistic for any sport, regardless having the ideal body type, for some sports and activities, body image can be a serious issue. Gymnastics and ballet have a long association with anorexia.  Hockey (as far as I know), doesn't.  While I would not discount either of those for someone solely on body type, it would give me pause if someone was really not cut out for it, especially in this day and age where competition is so much more intense at such younger ages.  I did gymnastics in high school, fully knowing I was way too tall for the sport.  But, back then, there was room for tall people at the high school level, but definitely not at the elite level. 

(That is one thing I like about rock climbing ... while certain aspects of the sport favor certain body types, even at the professional level, there is plenty of variation even at the professional level.  Also, any body type can enjoy the sport recreationally ... including a slightly overweight 51 yo with bad knees and ankles.)

• Like 2

Dance is a lifelong activity and rarely a wasted investment. If a child has issues with perfectionism, or lives in a family that values elitism above all, these are the problems that need to be addressed, not the fact that they'd like to dance. Ballet is a great base for countless dance styles and no child who is interested should be steered away because they might never become a professional ballerina. That's like not teaching them to cook unless they've got a shot at being professional chef!

Dance has benefits beyond a professional stage. It gets kids moving, improves posture, gives them strength and coordination, teaches cooperation, and is an outlet for creative expression. Some sports have a shelf life and people tend to drop them as they get older. There are SO many ways to dance well into your golden years that I would never steer a tall 7-year-old from it.

• Like 2