Menu

Would I be way out of line to ask contractors and build team to stop smoking in our new house?

momee

It's at drywall now and I've constantly noticed cigarette butts around our home site.  Lately I've been finding them inside.

I know we still have tons of chemicals and drywall dust and paint fumes to come but it. just. bugs. me.

I don't smoke and can't handle the smell of cigarettes anymore.

If I'm being fussy please just say so.  I'd hate to appear pretentious to guys who are doing a fantastic job.

Such a request would probably not be honoured, so I wouldn't ask. I know you're annoyed, but my experience with contractors throwing trash all over my new construction when I begged them not to suggests that such requests are futile.

That's not professional either!

Last contractors we had did our roof.  They picked up every single speck of anything that ended up in the yard.  They smoked well away from the house. 

I do see tons of trash but our builder is always so great to come behind them and clean up every Friday.  They're for the most part very conscientious.  

I don't know what happens when I'm not around but everyone ALWAYS shows great respect for me personally whenever I come around.

Except the cigarette butts :)  those find their way everywhere.  Even on my roof!

I do see tons of trash but our builder is always so great to come behind them and clean up every Friday.  They're for the most part very conscientious.  

I don't know what happens when I'm not around but everyone ALWAYS shows great respect for me personally whenever I come around.

Except the cigarette butts :)  those find their way everywhere.  Even on my roof!

Yeah why do so many smokers think nothing of throwing their trash around? They don't see butts as trash for some dumb reason. But that is what it is.  It's trash! 

I asked my dad who was a builder for many decades if that was common with his subs.  I don't know if it's a West coast thing, but his answer was "No!"  There are safety issues with smoking on a construction site and most subs smoke outside the house, in his experience.

It's your money, your house.  Ask them to smoke outside. I'd just say that now that the drywall is up, you have concerns about the smells lingering, allergies, whatever.

They may still smoke, but hopefully at the very least, they are smart enough to pick up their butts.

I can imagine that if DH (the project manager) or his boss heard from a client that any of the field guys or foremen were smoking inside a home, especially after being asked not to, they'd be livid with the guys. I don't think it's out of line to ask that at all. I'm so sensitive to cigarette smoke myself that I'd probably state it up front that it wasn't allowed in or near my house, ever.

Ya'll have made me feel much better about asking but it's still like I'm being picky.

It is my house and I am the boss :) however, I'm still a female around country boys and they might not take it well.  Unless I bring donuts.  Lots and lots of donuts.

:coolgleamA:

I honestly doubt you will be the first person to make that request. They have had to deal with that before and they can do it again. 

And don't ask them...tell then you don't want them smoking in your house. You can do that just as politely as asking.

If the project coordinator isn't there then make sure to follow with him/her, by email (in writing) if possible. If s/he is there, it might still be a good idea to sent an email saying "Thanks for being so understanding about my request that there not be smoking in the house" By doing that you have it in writing and can refer to it if necessary.

You are not doing anything wrong by instructing them not to smoke in the house so don't feel badly about it.

I wonder if this is a regional thing. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a person smoking, or even smelled smoke. It might be because it gets so cold here in the winter that people just quit rather than have to stand outside restaurants and bars etc. I just never see it any more. My first reaction to this thread was 'People still smoke?'

I'd contact the head of the crew directly and politely ask him to tell his workers not to smoke in the home you are paying them to build.  I wouldn't confront the workers directly, who knows  who'd get all macho and belligerent.  But if they were told by their boss to smoke outside the structure, they'd probably listen.

It's at drywall now and I've constantly noticed cigarette butts around our home site.  Lately I've been finding them inside.

I know we still have tons of chemicals and drywall dust and paint fumes to come but it. just. bugs. me.

I don't smoke and can't handle the smell of cigarettes anymore.

If I'm being fussy please just say so.  I'd hate to appear pretentious to guys who are doing a fantastic job.

NO!  Tell the GC that they cannot smoke within the house while building it.  That should be a no-brainer.  They can step outside.

On the contrary it is unprofessional of them.

Put a stick out at the edge of the lawn in a big sand bucket. Hang a trash bag from it. Label it the smoking post. Tell them where to dispose of the bag at the end of the day. Offer ponchos if it's raining.

I don't mind smoking breaks--I'd rather meditation breaks but whatever, it's their life. That is fine.

But not in the house.

Donuts aren't a bad idea.

Here too but I don't think it would apply in the initial stages. However now your walls are up it is different. Most of the tradies I know though use the garage as a smoko room so it would generally be limited to there. Is that an option? If so stick a picnic table and chairs in there and an ashtray.

Ya'll have made me feel much better about asking but it's still like I'm being picky.

It is my house and I am the boss :) however, I'm still a female around country boys and they might not take it well.  Unless I bring donuts.  Lots and lots of donuts.

Bring lots and lots of donuts and pizza and whatever it takes to keep them happy. Sodas too. Then sweetly ask them to smoke outside.

That's the ticket!

Alley

it's your house.  they can go out side during their break to smoke.  the fact there are butts all over your house would have me questioning how much they're working when they aren't on break.

incidently - our neighbors had to use four coats of kilz on the bedroom level to cover up the smell of cigarette smoke before they could move in.  all the sheetrock on the main level had to be replaced.  granted it wasn't a new house - but that is how much the smell gets into things and all you can do is rip it out.

Such a request would probably not be honoured, so I wouldn't ask. I know you're annoyed, but my experience with contractors throwing trash all over my new construction when I begged them not to suggests that such requests are futile.

This.

We went to see the new build (half finished) that we're putting a bid in on. 

There is trash EVERYWHERE... and it's a really nice subdivision. I can't imagine the homeowners are happy to look over and see the lot trashed (literally, wrappers and soda cans everywhere).

With that said, I don't think it's out of line to ask at all. I don't think they'll listen, but I don't think it's out of line.

It's my experience, at least in my neck of the southern woods, that when asked politely, gentlemen rarely (if ever) decline a request from a lady. They like to be helpful. 

Bring them donuts, tell them that you hope it isn't terribly much to ask, but that the smoke bothers you. 

The painters we just had in smoked. Outside. I had no problem (they were paid for the job, not by the hour) with them going over to their truck to smoke. They were polite, washed up after - no problem.

"It's my experience, at least in my neck of the southern woods, that when asked politely, gentlemen rarely (if ever) decline a request from a lady. They like to be helpful. "

Absolutely the case.  These men are true southern gentlemen - I honestly don't know that they realized.  The one on the roof did me in, though.

After asking my builder, I got a "I was going to do so" text and there was a sign on the front door that afternoon.  I call that a great response to my need.  He has been like this from day one.  Never an unanswered text and if he doesn't answer my phone call right away (even on a weekend) he is quick to call back within an hour.

As far as the trash on job-site, I've thought about it and it seems to be more from the subs that come in and go out quickly.  I have noticed quite a bit outside, they must figure it is a mess out there anyway with the dirt in heaps and spare lumber here and there...I dunno.  However, like I said builder comes along each weekend and cleans everything.  

The everyday team that framed and hand built this home have been super.  They even turn down the "man" station on the radio that talks "greasy lunch" trash as soon as my daughters and I come into the house - although that isn't often since they're working and we don't want to disturb.

I was just torn on the validity of asking.  Don't want to be too fussy.

Off to get the donuts, lol.

• 6 years later...

Is there someone or a health organization nationally you can report these situations too? We have the same issue and they general contractor said they will remind the subs contractors but nothing is changing!!!