Flu Shots?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get the flu shot?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't get it in general. I don't know if we have had the flu or not. I remember one year I was feeling fine in the morning and by 10am felt like I had been hit by a truck - fever, body aches, lost the will to live. I assume that was the flu. I hydrogen peroxided my ears every 2 hours and was feeling pretty good by night time. That's what we do when we are coming down with fever/respiratory issues - hydrogen peroxide and Cold-Eeze zinc lozenges, and it seems to at least reduce the worst of the illness down to a day or less.

We do not have any severe asthmatics or immune system issues.

Could I ask a favour?  Please, please don't put hydrogen peroxide in your ears.  Hydrogen peroxide disrupts cell membranes - ALL cell membranes - and it can't tell the difference between any bacterial cells which might be causing an ear infection and your own body's cells.  It will destroy your own healthy cells in your ears and could possibly be doing permanent damage to the cells of your ear drum.  Please?

Dh gets the flu shot at work. The rest of us have never had a flu shot. My only year mom got the flu shot, she got the flu.

I can't recall anyone in my immediate family other than my mom having the flu.

I am not super human as I had strep throat from the age of 8 every year until I was 24 when I had the worst case ever. Never had it since. Soon after I had my last but of strep, the warts that plagued my dh disappeared.

Immune systems are weird.

Peroxide in ears? To combate respiratory illness? I have never heard of that! Interesting.

The theory is that some viruses enter the respiratory system through the ear canal, so the peroxide is killing the virus on it's way in. I figure if it isn't having an effect on a particular virus, at least my ears are clean :).

Could I ask a favour?  Please, please don't put hydrogen peroxide in your ears.  Hydrogen peroxide disrupts cell membranes - ALL cell membranes - and it can't tell the difference between any bacterial cells which might be causing an ear infection and your own body's cells.  It will destroy your own healthy cells in your ears and could possibly be doing permanent damage to the cells of your ear drum.  Please?

Lots of people use HP to remove ear wax. It works really well.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390444354004578058513951005712

It does remove wax gently. I've never heard of it used to prevent the flu.

Might I suggest a different line of thinking for those who are choosing not to get the shot?  Assuming that you and your family are healthy and don't have compromised immune systems, the vaccination you would receive is NOT for you.

You are getting it for your elderly relatives or neighbours.

You are getting it for your 3 month old niece or nephew.

You are getting it for the severely asthmatic child down the street.

We need to stop thinking selfishly about vaccinations.  We need to start thinking about the greater good.  Herd immunity is when enough people get vaccinated against a disease so that the prevalence of the disease slowly decreases in the population.  This means that folks who either cannot get vaccinated (severe reactions, other medical conditions, etc.) or folks who do get vaccinated but whose immune systems aren't strong enough to give a good response to the vaccine (the elderly or immunocompromised) will be less likely to get the disease because there is simply less of it around.  If you and your family are in good health, influenza (respiratory influenza, not the stomach flu) will make you feel crappy for a while but you probably won't die or have permanent consequences from it, but you will be contributing to a higher prevalence of influenza in your community and that puts the weaker among us at risk.  Please consider getting vaccinated for others, not for yourself.

Ali in OR, on 31 Dec 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:Ali in OR, on 31 Dec 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

Actually women who are pregnant are very much SUPPOSED to get the shot. Your immune system is compromised while you are growing a foreign body and getting the flu while pregnant is not good. I know early delivery is one complication. H1N1 was particularly hard on pregnant patients--they were far more likely to end up in ICU and/or die than other H1N1 patients. Our OB office routinely vaccinates their pregnant patients who are in 2nd or 3rd trimester during flu season.

the irony is -  due to a shortage, my OB couldn't get the vaccine the last time I was pg.  (I'd had pneumonia that spring, if he'd only had one dose - he'd have given it to me.)  the news was talking about priority groups for getting the shot. including pg women.  I went to walgreen's as they were doing flu shots- and they asked me to leave because I was pg.  (I've refused to go to a walgreen's since.) 

I had to go somewhere else.  

Might I suggest a different line of thinking for those who are choosing not to get the shot?  Assuming that you and your family are healthy and don't have compromised immune systems, the vaccination you would receive is NOT for you.

We need to stop thinking selfishly about vaccinations.  We need to start thinking about the greater good.  Herd immunity is when enough people get vaccinated against a disease so that the prevalence of the disease slowly decreases in the population.  This means that folks who either cannot get vaccinated (severe reactions, other medical conditions, etc.) and folks who do get vaccinated but whose immune systems aren't strong enough to give a good response to the vaccine (the elderly or immunocompromised) will be less likely to get the disease because there is simply less of it around.  If you and your family are in good health, influenza (respiratory influenza, not the stomach flu) will make you feel crappy for a while but you probably won't die or have permanent consequences from it, but you will be contributing to a higher prevalence of influenza in your community and that puts the weaker among us at risk.  Please consider getting vaccinated for others, not for yourself.

We have a stem cell transplant patient under the roof, so we will be getting a flu shot annually from now on. Ditto with keeping up to date with other vaccines. It's like having a newborn immune system in the house again, only more fragile.

But I can't take off two weeks for being sick. I can't quarantine.

It's not like the measles where, if I get the shot I won't get sick.

It's, in my experience, getting the shot makes me get the most contagious symptoms of the thing I'm trying to prevent the spread of.

I would like to say, "Okay, I'll give it a try."

But I have not seen anyone successfully do that without getting the flu. I don't know anyone who got the flu shot without getting the flu. Then they proceed to give it to everyone else. Also everyone I know who has gotten the flu, had the vaccine.

I realize that is stupid but what can I do, I ask people if they got the shot and they all tell me the same thing--yes, they do every year and every year they get sick, or this is the first time they got the shot and they got sick. I suppose it could be mass hysteria. But most people I know are pro-vaccine.

I'd get it if I thought it would prevent the spread of disease. But having mucous pouring out of every membrane and coughing like a fool, sneezing, not being able to wash my hands after blowing my nose every two minutes, and laying on my couch miserably while the kids eat cold cereal doesn't prevent disease.

I'm the only one in my home who didn't get the shot this year (they all got it at school and work) and guess who's not sick?

Again, I like vaccines. I have had most of them several times since I lost my WHO card twice.

But I haven't been sick since I got the last flu shot and I'm not about to start now.

Lots of people use HP to remove ear wax. It works really well.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390444354004578058513951005712

It does remove wax gently. I've never heard of it used to prevent the flu.

The American Hearing Research Foundation says that hydrogen peroxide is in commercial preparations but it wouldn't be straight 3% (or, god forbid, 6%) - it would be a tiny amount in a larger amount of some type of oil base.

From the article:

"Over-the-counter drops that help remove wax are all basically oil and peroxide solutions Brand names include Debrox and Murine. Hydrogen peroxide is present for the mechanical effect; it does not dissolve ear wax (Burkhart et al 2000). These preparations are best for those with small to moderate amounts of wax. These preparations should not be used by persons who have an eardrum perforation. We advise against use of enzyme-based preparations, such as Cerumenex, because of problems with allergy. One study found plain water to be more effective and faster than hydrogen peroxide or olive oil in dissolving ear wax (Chalishazar & Williams 2007). Another found water to be as effective as over-the-counter products Murine and Ceruminex (Roland et al 2004)."

From http://american-hearing.org/disorders/ear-wax/

Other sites say to put oil into the ear first and to mix the hydrogen peroxide with equal parts water before putting 1 or 2 drops (that's it!) into the ear.

My apologies if I spoke out of turn, Binip.  I was only wanting to help and protect.  There is a staggering quantity of misinformation floating around the internet about what hydrogen peroxide can be safely used for.  I was only wanting to shed some light. :)

BushMommy, on 31 Dec 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:BushMommy, on 31 Dec 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

I have a 2 year old in an in-home daycare right now and I teach (plus have mild asthma). I know we are exposed to tons of junk every day, but this year it's worrying me for some reason. I can't decide what I want to do.  :confused1:

if it's worrying you - it may well be your "mom-gut" trying to warn you.

the first year I got the shot (I rarely have ever had the flu.), my mom-gut was *demanding* I get it.  I came up with all sorts of reasons why I couldn't, but mom-gut was quite demanding.  mom-gut even tricked me into being somewhere they were doing flu shots (I didn't know ahead of time - mom-gut really did tell me to go there), so I said "okay, fine.".  

I had the flu about as bad as I ever have (in a bad year) - and am convinced without that shot, it would have been worse and I would have been hospitalized.  with no medical insurance.  (I had a very compromised immune system that year.)

Yep, we always get it. I've never had a single side effect or flu symptom from getting it, either, nor has anyone I know. The whole getting sick from the vaccine is something I've not seen or experienced.

We have family members with heart conditions and asthma, and elderly family that we see frequently, so the vaccine is a must for all of us.

My apologies if I spoke out of turn, Binip. I was only wanting to help and protect. There is a staggering quantity of misinformation floating around the internet about what hydrogen peroxide can be safely used for. I was only wanting to shed some light. :)

I wonder, if the virus theory is valid, if there is something safer that could be used in the ears? Something mixed with olive oil?

Dicentra, on 31 Dec 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

My apologies if I spoke out of turn, Binip.  I was only wanting to help and protect.  There is a staggering quantity of misinformation floating around the internet about what hydrogen peroxide can be safely used for.  I was only wanting to shed some light. :)

misinformation on the internet? :ohmy:   I'm *shocked* I tell you.  *shocked*.  :svengo:  

;)  :leaving:

I wonder, if the virus theory is valid, if there is something safer that could be used in the ears? Something mixed with olive oil?

If it were me, I wouldn't be putting anything in my ears.  But that's just me. :)  Rest, fluids, and constant hand-washing are the best bet for recovery for almost any common winter ailment.

ETA:  The hand-washing is more to prevent and try to stop the spread than to cure anything. :)

Hydrogen peroxide is present for the mechanical effect

Yes. It's the bubbles. I just assumed we used it because it was a clean bubbly solution.

Something mixed with olive oil?

Warm olive oil also works. Mind you I don't think it's an idea to go crazy with this. I do it what, once a year?

And the purpose is NOT to prevent infection.

It is to avoid using cotton swabs or other sharp objects on an itchy / uncomfortable ear, because a small amount of food-grade oil or hydrogen peroxide in oil can help wash out excess wax gently.

Not to like, cure anything. You pour it in, let it sit, then turn your head over. If you get a big chunk of wax out, do it once more. If not any wax and it still itches see a doctor.

We don't here, the one time we got the flu shot we actually got the flu 3 times so we see it as pointless

Was this actually confirmed influenza?

Three times in one year would be very unusual; most of the people I know who say they have had the flu were never tested for the virus, they just know they had something with flu-like symptoms. There are an awful lot of viruses that can cause flu-like symptoms but are not influenza.

We need to stop thinking selfishly about vaccinations.  We need to start thinking about the greater good.  Herd immunity is when enough people get vaccinated against a disease so that the prevalence of the disease slowly decreases in the population.  This means that folks who either cannot get vaccinated (severe reactions, other medical conditions, etc.) and folks who do get vaccinated but whose immune systems aren't strong enough to give a good response to the vaccine (the elderly or immunocompromised) will be less likely to get the disease because there is simply less of it around.  If you and your family are in good health, influenza (respiratory influenza, not the stomach flu) will make you feel crappy for a while but you probably won't die or have permanent consequences from it, but you will be contributing to a higher prevalence of influenza in your community and that puts the weaker among us at risk.  Please consider getting vaccinated for others, not for yourself.

I kinda understand where you are coming from. I would consider it perhaps if I had different kids. It only takes rushing one kid into the hospital with a severe reaction to a vaccine to make this mom pretty nervous to try any of them again.

I try to just be super careful about where I am taking my kids during cold season. I refuse to chance another reaction.

But I can't take off two weeks for being sick. I can't quarantine.

It's not like the measles where, if I get the shot I won't get sick.

It's, in my experience, getting the shot makes me get the most contagious symptoms of the thing I'm trying to prevent the spread of.

You CANNOT get the flu from the shot (as opposed to the flumist). It is not possible. It is a dead virus.

You can be exposed before getting the shot. It could be that you got some other virus. It could be that you got sick with a different strain (according to my understanding this year there are two strains, one of which isn't in the vaccine, but one is). You could possibly get sick anyway. But you cannot get sick FROM the shot.

I think it is worth pointing out that there are bigger outbreaks in states that are less likely to vaccinate. If a statistically significant portion of an area is less likely to vaccinate, then people (all people, those who vaccinate and those who do not) are more likely to get the flu.

I'm not saying the flu shot gives me the flu.

Obviously not.

What I think happens is that the vaccine works.

So, whereas before, my body would not have adequately responded to the flu virus by simply becoming a carrier and not doing anything about the virus, when I got the vaccine, my body responded like hell and then fights it for two weeks (the symptoms, of course, being the symptom of my immune response, and not literally viruses pouring out of my nose).

Maybe I have a suppressed reaction without the vaccine training my cells. Who knows.

I think it is worth pointing out that there are bigger outbreaks in states that are less likely to vaccinate.

But did they also have said rates before the vaccine was released? Because in my experience state-by-state analyses are interesting but very blunt instruments for determining causality.

I'd like to see a study of healthy adults, especially the outliers. I bet there is a cluster of people like me who get vaccinated and their likelihood of presenting flu is increased, not because the flu shot directly causes the flu, but due to some other more complex mechanism.

Incidentally, it's not that I got the flu right after the shot. No. I got the flu when everyone else did (in spite of getting the shot).

Last year, everyone in my family got the flu shot. I ended up coming down with a confirmed case of Influenza A but DH and DD stayed healthy, thankfully. I had Mono at the time I got my flu shot and I believe that it didn't "take" as well because of that. This Fall I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease (which we suspect was triggered by the Mono.)  We all got the flu shot again under our doctors' strong recommendations. I hope that we all avoid the flu.  :001_unsure: Never had it before last year and it is not something that I care to repeat. 

The only time I've ever gotten the flu shot was when I was traveling out of the country for 5 weeks and going somewhere at the height of their flu season.  I was away from family and friends so I didn't want to risk getting sick at all.  

Now I don't get it because I don't feel it is necessary for my family or myself.  We all rarely get sick and when we do I do a darn good job of keeping us in the house until we're better.  I also tend to stay in a lot during the height of flu season, not because of exposure but because I hate going places when the weather it crappy.

I kinda understand where you are coming from. I would consider it perhaps if I had different kids. It only takes rushing one kid into the hospital with a severe reaction to a vaccine to make this mom pretty nervous to try any of them again.

I try to just be super careful about where I am taking my kids during cold season. I refuse to chance another reaction.

Absolutely - if someone has confirmed, severe reactions to vaccines, then they probably shouldn't be getting vaccinated.  Yours are the children that the rest of us who don't have reactions should be getting vaccinated to protect. :)  

I'm not saying the flu shot gives me the flu.

Obviously not.

What I think happens is that the vaccine works.

So, whereas before, my body would not have adequately responded to the flu virus by simply becoming a carrier and not doing anything about the virus, when I got the vaccine, my body responded like hell and then fights it for two weeks (the symptoms, of course, being the symptom of my immune response, and not literally viruses pouring out of my nose).

Maybe I have a suppressed reaction without the vaccine training my cells. Who knows.

But did they also have said rates before the vaccine was released? Because in my experience state-by-state analyses are interesting but very blunt instruments for determining causality.

I'd like to see a study of healthy adults, especially the outliers. I bet there is a cluster of people like me who get vaccinated and their likelihood of presenting flu is increased, not because the flu shot directly causes the flu, but due to some other more complex mechanism.

Incidentally, it's not that I got the flu right after the shot. No. I got the flu when everyone else did (in spite of getting the shot).

I would be interested for you to present your past flu shot history to your doctor to see what he/she says.  Have you ever done that?

Bah, the doctors never listen. I think they think I'm stupid. I wish my IQ were on my record so they'd stop trying to let me explain. I get it, they don't have time, but I spent an hour getting there and I don't have time, either, you know?

I go to a nurse practitioner. She said it works over the population but that doesn't describe the experience of one individual person, because there are always outliers.

Which is precisely my thought on it as well.

I deal with numbers all day. We don't have ANY intervention that EVERY student should subscribe to. Some things which work for some, don't for others.

Only my middle child has gotten flu vaccine.  He got the flu mist. My middle has gotten flu shots since he was old enough because he was high risk due to a congenital heart condition.  My youngest has a history of very bad documented reactions to vaccines and can not have it.  Alas, he is also the one with severe asthma.  DD will get a flu shot at her upcoming well check.  DH and I never get the flu shot.

No one in my family ever got the shot or got the flu - up until my guys started college.  This includes several years of public school for them and me. In my case I often worked alongside teachers and students who came down with it (went home early) or right after (they were sick - I filled in for them).

When they went to college I recommended it for my guys "just in case" as I didn't feel they would do well IF they were to get the flu while trying to do college classes.

Last year I was reading a similar Hive thread and started to ponder exactly why I didn't get the shot.  I couldn't come up with a good reason, so starting last year both hubby and I have gotten the shot.  We still haven't had the flu nor have we had issues from the shot.

I expect we'll be in the "got it" column from here on out.  There's still simply no good reason I can think of NOT to for us.  I'm not anti-vacc.  It's not too expensive.  I do firmly believe the body tends to heal itself if given a chance, but I also see no particular reason not to give it a boost when a decent one is out there.  I do the same with some of my nutritional choices (vitamins, turmeric, Cold-Eeze if exposed to someone with a cold, etc).  I see this more like that - some exposure to trigger an immune response and be better prepared.

I'm just getting over the flu.  I did get Tamiflu and it helped.  

I don't get the shots, because I have such bad reactions to immunizations.  If I get a flu shot, I pretty much feel like I have the flu.  It's an immune response, not an actual virus, but my body is not bright enough to tell the difference.  I really used to think I got the flu from the shot (which I guess is possible way back in the college days when Emory was testing vaccines that I think were live).  Realized it was an immune thing when I "got the flu" from a tetanus shot...high fever, shakes, muscle aches and weakness, nausea and all, in addition to an arm swollen to twice its size.  So I can guarantee I'll lose 7-10 days to a shot every year, or take my chances with hand-washing and other preventatives.  I've had the true flu 3 times since ds17 was born.

Bah, the doctors never listen. I think they think I'm stupid. I wish my IQ were on my record so they'd stop trying to let me explain. I get it, they don't have time, but I spent an hour getting there and I don't have time, either, you know?

Oh, absolutely.  I finally learned that reactions to immunizations were just not conceivable to them after reporting over and over.  It was always "you must have been coming down with something already" every single time.  A co-worker who saw me after the last tetanus asked if I reported what was obviously such a severe reaction.  I didn't even bother to call.  I'm just jaded from being treated like an idiot.  

I'm one of those that is supposed to get it.  I have asthma, so they hound me and hound me but I never get it.  My kids have never gotten it either and we've never gotten the flu.  My husband is required to get it (he's military) and he's the only one to ever get sick, but I believe that is because he has a lot more interaction with people than we do. 

Oh, absolutely.  I finally learned that reactions to immunizations were just not conceivable to them after reporting over and over.  It was always "you must have been coming down with something already" every single time.  A co-worker who saw me after the last tetanus asked if I reported what was obviously such a severe reaction.  I didn't even bother to call.  I'm just jaded from being treated like an idiot.  

Don't you get the handout with the list of side effects and their incidence? We do.

Funny thing is, they'd believe an adverse event or allergic reaction. Because it's in the book.

They just can't believe that, even though the flu vaccine is known not to be 100% effective, and they know that vaccines to require an immune response to process (by definition of what it means to vaccinate), they refuse to consider the possibility of any chance that anyone's body is not reacting according to the norm.

Nothing occurs which is not explained. It's like a religious profession, actually. Beyond irritating. Whereas the NPs will ask questions and listen to history and be willing to learn new things based on reality.

I love my NP*!

*Nurse practitioner, not naturopath. Just to clarify.

Was this actually confirmed influenza?

Three times in one year would be very unusual; most of the people I know who say they have had the flu were never tested for the virus, they just know they had something with flu-like symptoms. There are an awful lot of viruses that can cause flu-like symptoms but are not influenza.

The first doc didn't test since it was within the area of illness of getting the shot, the last 2 were confirmed by tests :(

I get the shot every year (asthmatic, prone to pneumonia, etc.).

I was exposed to Influenza A at church on Sunday. I woke up with a sore throat yesterday. I am hoping that I have enough protection that whatever I am getting will be very mild. It seems to be since the family who has Influenza A is having much more severe symptoms. I work with a SN child at church and his hands and slobber were all over me (he's a finger chewer).  

I always get the flu shot, and everyone in my family does. If there is any chance I can avoid getting sick, keep my children from getting sick, or even help prevent spreading an illness, I'm going to do it. Usually the shot doesn't help me, I still get the flu every year, but the shot has been effective for my dh and my kids, and I keep hoping that one of these years it will work for me.

I'm not a fan of the government telling me what to do. It is often an indication that I should do the opposite.  :/ 

Never had the shot.

Never had the flu.

Same thing with my husband and kids.

I worked in the children's department of a public library for five years.

Dh has an autoimmune disease, so I would expect at some point, we'd consider changing our stance against the shot if we felt it would be best for him.  But it certainly won't be because the CDC tells us so.

if it's worrying you - it may well be your "mom-gut" trying to warn you.

the first year I got the shot (I rarely have ever had the flu.), my mom-gut was *demanding* I get it.  I came up with all sorts of reasons why I couldn't, but mom-gut was quite demanding.  mom-gut even tricked me into being somewhere they were doing flu shots (I didn't know ahead of time - mom-gut really did tell me to go there), so I said "okay, fine.".  

I had the flu about as bad as I ever have (in a bad year) - and am convinced without that shot, it would have been worse and I would have been hospitalized.  with no medical insurance.  (I had a very compromised immune system that year.)

Yeah, I'm thinking I might call my dr to get an appt for a shot. I can't shake this feeling and I normally don't have them this strong. 

I was reading this on my friends facebook page today: 

Well even if the vaccine isn't an exact match or there's a mutation, often times the strain covered by the vaccine is similar enough to the one in the community that your body may still recognize and fight against the community strain more strongly than if it had not "seen" the vaccine strain before. It's called cross-protection.

I swear, though, if I get the shot, then get the flu... :cursing:

ETA: Shoot! I forgot - they are made with some egg proteins aren't they? My dd is allergic to egg. 

A couple of times when DD was younger we made her get it on the strong recommendation of her doctor since she is a Type 1 diabetic. She wasn't pleased. Now that she has turned 18 we won't make her get it anymore.

As for me, usually no. But I will tell you that the ER doc who diagnosed me on Christmas shook his head in disgust and said that they had totally missed the boat this year and I was his fifth case of the day.

So I would say that it is a waste of time this particular year. Although having true influenza has been MOST nasty (and Tamiflu was too late in my case so lengthy), I wouldn't normally bother with the shot unless I had clear medical vulnerability, and this year, I'd say it's even less worth it than usual.