Menu

Brie: to remove the rind or not to remove the brind?

Angie in VA

Serving Brie cheese: keep or ditch the rind?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Should I remove the rind of the brie cheese I plan to serve on Christmas?

• No, get it to room temp and serve as is.
    • Yes, remove the rind, but only from the top.
    • Yes, remove all the rind.

And how hard is it to remove the rind?

ETA: In post #21 I stated that this is to serve warmed w/ caramel sauce and pecans. I would only remove the rind from the top if I dare to do it. I have read recipes and seen photos both w/ and w/o the rind on the top.

This was my first attempt at a poll. I am surprised I pulled it off.

No, don't remove the rind. I just had that discussion with my 5yo this morning. By the time we were done with lunch she decided she had "developed an appreciation for the rind."

:lol:   dudeling is a notorious picky eater. (he could give lessons on how to be a picky eater.)  he loves brie - and eats the rind.

Here - the disputes are eating it on crackers or a baguette.

We bake our brie so the inside is really runny when we serve it; as said above, the rind helps hold it somewhat together. 

ETA - Grocery Outlet score:  $1.49 for an 8oz wheel of brie!  Baked brie, crackers, crusty bread, grapes, apples and roasted garlic (with a couple of movies) is our traditional New Year's Eve dinner so at that price, I bought one wheel for each person :D

ETA: In post #21 I stated that this is to serve warmed w/ caramel sauce and pecans. I would only remove the rind from the top if I dare to do it. I have read recipes and seen photos both w/ and w/o the rind on the top.

I've made a similar recipe for over 10 years (sauce made of brown sugar and kahlua, with pecans). We've never removed the rind--although some children prefer to avoid it when serving themselves, lol.

We bake our brie so the inside is really runny when we serve it; as said above, the rind helps hold it somewhat together. 

ETA - Grocery Outlet score:  $1.49 for an 8oz wheel of brie!  Baked brie, crackers, crusty bread, grapes, apples and roasted garlic (with a couple of movies) is our traditional New Year's Eve dinner so at that price, I bought one wheel for each person :D

This is very similar to our Christmas Eve dinner. Yum!

Update: I left all the rind on, but before serving cut off a small piece so folks could get to the cheese by scooping some out from under the rind. Only about 1/4 of it was eaten. We had 15 people here yesterday. Sorry it wasn't a bigger hit.

Thank you for your help, WTMers.

I've found that if I eat generously from the cheese platter before a big meal, I really don't have room left for the meal. I wouldn't assume it wasn't a hit - perhaps your guests were eating sparingly so they could also enjoy your meal (and dessert)!  

I've found that if I eat generously from the cheese platter before a big meal, I really don't have room left for the meal. I wouldn't assume it wasn't a hit - perhaps your guests were eating sparingly so they could also enjoy your meal (and dessert)!  

True. We had a lot of food (thanks to gracious guests who brought so much!) and a ton of desserts. Everything was so yummy, especially the foods I had nothing to do w/, lol.