Menu

Missing cat; prayers please

Cindy in FL.

Kitty Cat has been missing since Saturday night when he was inadvertently let out of the house. In the past he was always back by the next morning if not during the night. I am so worried about him. I put an ad in the paper and we out 150 fliers in mailboxes today. He's microchipped, but doesn't have a collar. Please pray he comes home safely!

post-748-0-77156800-1418778359_thumb.jpg

Praying for kitty! Our kitty got out and was gone 3 weeks once, and then came home, meowing for food. Don't give up! Oh, and we used a live trap to catch him another time that he got out. Caught the neighbor cat first...but we caught him. Home depot sells the traps usually.

Kitty Cat has been missing since Saturday night when he was inadvertently let out of the house. In the past he was always back by the next morning if not during the night. I am so worried about him. I put an ad in the paper and we out 150 fliers in mailboxes today. He's microchipped, but doesn't have a collar. Please pray he comes home safely!

Ours has gone walkabout twice - once for five weeks, once, mid-snowy-winter, for six.  We did the fliers, and that's what found him the second time.  (We randomly found him in the yard the first time.)  Both times we believe he stayed close to home, hunting at night and sleeping during the day (probably under a neighbor's shed that was up on cinder blocks).  He wasn't easy to catch but was VERY happy to be home once he was inside.  

See if there's a Facebook group for your town.  Ours has been very successful at reuniting wayward pets and their families.

Call the chip company to be sure they know he's lost, and to be sure they have your up-to-date information.

We put food out every night.  Someone ate it; our video of the bowls showed a variety of wildlife we weren't previously aware of!  No cats though.  We believe he hunted, and hunted well.  

Keep up hope.  Cats are very good at living outside.  There are a lot of useful tips online, too.

This gives me some hope. Thank you for that! I'll look in to the Facebook group and contact the chip company.

Ours has gone walkabout twice - once for five weeks, once, mid-snowy-winter, for six. We did the fliers, and that's what found him the second time. (We randomly found him in the yard the first time.) Both times we believe he stayed close to home, hunting at night and sleeping during the day (probably under a neighbor's shed that was up on cinder blocks). He wasn't easy to catch but was VERY happy to be home once he was inside.

See if there's a Facebook group for your town. Ours has been very successful at reuniting wayward pets and their families.

Call the chip company to be sure they know he's lost, and to be sure they have your up-to-date information.

We put food out every night. Someone ate it; our video of the bowls showed a variety of wildlife we weren't previously aware of! No cats though. We believe he hunted, and hunted well.

Keep up hope. Cats are very good at living outside. There are a lot of useful tips online, too.

My son saw him get out, so i know he's not somewhere in the house. Hoping he'll turn up!

Mom of four felines here. We have had a couple of scares through the years, but they have always been found safe and sound (sometimes still inside when we were just sure they got out).

Praying Kitty Cat is found soon! Keep us posted.

I'd put up signs too -- and in any neighborhoods or streets that might somehow back up to/be near your home. My sister's cat went missing once & he was in another neighborhood. We hadn't put out signs there, but it turns out the back part of the other neighborhood was nearby... And cats don't usually travel by roads or sidewalks; they often walk through yards.

Also pass out flyers to local vet offices in case anyone brings him in there. And check the local shelter. They're supposed to scan for microchips, but I know of some instances where they have not.

Hugs. Hoping your cat comes home safe & sound.

I'm sorry about your cat! 

Maybe you're already doing this, but I would walk around your neighborhood when it's likely to be most quiet and listen for meows in case he's stuck up a tree or other high place.  I've gotten other people's cats out of a tree and off a roof and both times it was the loud meowing that got my attention.   (If he were to be stuck at a height that you can reach with a ladder you should be careful not to get all scratched up.  Attaching a laundry basket to the top of the ladder worked well the one time I tried it.  I won't say how I got the other cat off the roof because no one ever believes me.)

I'll be praying, too! 

Thanks for this suggestion, Laurie. I've been driving around, but not walking. The kids and I can give this a try.

Maybe you're already doing this, but I would walk around your neighborhood when it's likely to be most quiet and listen for meows in case he's stuck up a tree or other high place. I've gotten other people's cats out of a tree and off a roof and both times it was the loud meowing that got my attention. (If he were to be stuck at a height that you can reach with a ladder you should be careful not to get all scratched up. Attaching a laundry basket to the top of the ladder worked well the one time I tried it. I won't say how I got the other cat off the roof because no one ever believes me.)

I'll be praying, too!

We're in a really big subdivision and have been working our way out from our house in all directions. It's a lot of area to cover, but we are working on it! Thank you.

I'd put up signs too -- and in any neighborhoods or streets that might somehow back up to/be near your home. My sister's cat went missing once & he was in another neighborhood. We hadn't put out signs there, but it turns out the back part of the other neighborhood was nearby... And cats don't usually travel by roads or sidewalks; they often walk through yards.

Also pass out flyers to local vet offices in case anyone brings him in there. And check the local shelter. They're supposed to scan for microchips, but I know of some instances where they have not.

Thanks for this suggestion, Laurie. I've been driving around, but not walking. The kids and I can give this a try.

I really do think walking is better since you hear and see so many things that aren't apparent from a car on the street.  Cats tend to stay away from cars and streets.  Also, the kids have to realize that they need to listen, not simply call out for the cat when they're walking around.  

Every time I see you've posted in this thread I think, "Oh, good, I bet she's announcing the cat's return."  I'm so sorry you're still dealing with this.  It's so stressful to not know where a pet is, or what's going on with it.

Maybe you're already doing this, but I would walk around your neighborhood when it's likely to be most quiet and listen for meows in case he's stuck up a tree or other high place.  I've gotten other people's cats out of a tree and off a roof and both times it was the loud meowing that got my attention.   (If he were to be stuck at a height that you can reach with a ladder you should be careful not to get all scratched up.  Attaching a laundry basket to the top of the ladder worked well the one time I tried it.  I won't say how I got the other cat off the roof because no one ever believes me.)

I'll be praying, too! 

We're in a really big subdivision and have been working our way out from our house in all directions. It's a lot of area to cover, but we are working on it! Thank you.

We found it useful to do a Google maps overview of our neighborhood.  We could then draw circles to show what was within a certain distance.  But what was most helpful was to understand how the various back yards connected.  We have large-ish yards, and if the kitty stayed only in the yards (which we believe was the case), he actually had quite a large terrain.

Walking is also good because you can talk to whoever you see along the way.  We found the neighbors were very helpful.  We gave fliers to people who walk in the neighborhood for exercise, even if they may have lived elsewhere.  We also saw the mailman, the UPS man (who called us with a lead once), and the local policeman (who took a flier to hang in the station).

We also put up fliers on phone poles.  We put each flier in a sheet protector, with the opening at the bottom. We then stapled it to the poles at various intersections.  This way we knew that people could access our phone number even a while after they may have tossed the flier we put in their mailbox.

(In one case - different cat - we noted on the flier that the cat may have gotten into a shed or garage and, as that particular cat could/did not meow, he would not be able to let anyone know.  He came back very soon after we gave out these fliers, so we have always assumed that someone opened a shed/garage door and he ran out the door and back home.)

We not only listened and called his name, we meowed.  In fact, both times we found him, the meowing was critical in following him when he moved out of view (he meowed back, and we continued to exchange meows as we followed him) and ultimately being able to pick him up and take him home.

My son was plotting our course with Google maps, but I think you're right about walking. Between the 4 kids and me we should be able to cover a good amount of area. There's also a horse farm nearby that we are going to check out.

We found it useful to do a Google maps overview of our neighborhood. We could then draw circles to show what was within a certain distance. But what was most helpful was to understand how the various back yards connected. We have large-ish yards, and if the kitty stayed only in the yards (which we believe was the case), he actually had quite a large terrain.

Walking is also good because you can talk to whoever you see along the way. We found the neighbors were very helpful. We gave fliers to people who walk in the neighborhood for exercise, even if they may have lived elsewhere. We also saw the mailman, the UPS man (who called us with a lead once), and the local policeman (who took a flier to hang in the station).

We also put up fliers on phone poles. We put each flier in a sheet protector, with the opening at the bottom. We then stapled it to the poles at various intersections. This way we knew that people could access our phone number even a while after they may have tossed the flier we put in their mailbox.

(In one case - different cat - we noted on the flier that the cat may have gotten into a shed or garage and, as that particular cat could/did not meow, he would not be able to let anyone know. He came back very soon after we gave out these fliers, so we have always assumed that someone opened a shed/garage door and he ran out the door and back home.)

We not only listened and called his name, we meowed. In fact, both times we found him, the meowing was critical in following him when he moved out of view (he meowed back, and we continued to exchange meows as we followed him) and ultimately being able to pick him up and take him home.

The Lowe's near us doesn't have them in stock and they won't get shipped to us until Dec. 30. Looking for somewhere that has them in stock. I am sure dh won't appreciate the $60 price tag. :). I can order from Amazon with Prime shipping.

I'm also afraid that the coyotes around here might have gotten him. He's a big cat (not fat) and has his claws, so that is in his favor.

No luck at the horse farm yesterday. I'll send the kids out walking again today.

Do look into getting a trap, as well. It worked like a charm for us the first time he got out. (after that he would just come to the door, little buggar, and meow to get in!)

Any updates? 

Does your neighborhood have a "Nextdoor" social media thing going on?  It's a social media site for just your neighborhood, and if you have it, it's worth posting on there.  It's helped a few people here find lost pets quickly. 

I hope the cat turns up.

Ok, stupid question regarding traps. The cat has always come back when he has gotten out. If he is around the yard, he will generally come in when I open the screen door. I have left the screen doors open since he got out, so I felel like if he were in or around our yard he would come in. I don't know whether to get a trap because he hasn't historically hung out in our yard and not wanted to come back in.

He is definitely worth the $68 it would take to get a trap delivered tomorrow (I paid $100 to get fliers printed), but I don't want to just waste the money if he is too far afield to be lured in by it. Also, am I just as likely to wind up with a raccoon or possum in the trap? That would freak me out!

Advice, please.

Hi, yes, if you set out a trap you have to check it regularly. Many people trying to trap feral cats for TNR programs end up with skunks & raccoons etc in them. It's ok, just point the trap the other way, open the door & they'll run.

TNR people here bait traps with safeway roast chicken.

Even if you're not trapping, be sure to put out something of yours (or whichever person kitty is most attached to) - some unlaundered piece of clothing.  Sometimes cats get a bit PTSD & they need the extra encouragement & comfort to go back home.

ALSO, for lost pets we recommend going door to door & handing a flyer to a person if possible. Second best is shoving it in mailbox. Third is putting up telephone poles etc.

Offer a reward & print REWARD on the flyer.

Keep calling vet clinics & shelters. Visit shelters in person. People have found their pets like that. Don't trust a frazzled shelter worker or volunteer to have checked an incoming cat carefully or to have even described it properly on their intake forms.

Post on Craigslist if you have it in your area.

:grouphug:

Good info here. I'll put my son's blanket out that the cat loves. We did some door to door and put fliers in mailboxes. The kids are stopping at the shelter this afternoon. He is microchipped, but you never know.

Hi, yes, if you set out a trap you have to check it regularly. Many people trying to trap feral cats for TNR programs end up with skunks & raccoons etc in them. It's ok, just point the trap the other way, open the door & they'll run.

TNR people here bait traps with safeway roast chicken.

Even if you're not trapping, be sure to put out something of yours (or whichever person kitty is most attached to) - some unlaundered piece of clothing. Sometimes cats get a bit PTSD & they need the extra encouragement & comfort to go back home.

ALSO, for lost pets we recommend going door to door & handing a flyer to a person if possible. Second best is shoving it in mailbox. Third is putting up telephone poles etc.

Offer a reward & print REWARD on the flyer.

Keep calling vet clinics & shelters. Visit shelters in person. People have found their pets like that. Don't trust a frazzled shelter worker or volunteer to have checked an incoming cat carefully or to have even described it properly on their intake forms.

Post on Craigslist if you have it in your area.

:grouphug:

The Lowe's near us doesn't have them in stock and they won't get shipped to us until Dec. 30. Looking for somewhere that has them in stock. I am sure dh won't appreciate the $60 price tag. :). I can order from Amazon with Prime shipping.

I'm also afraid that the coyotes around here might have gotten him. He's a big cat (not fat) and has his claws, so that is in his favor.

No luck at the horse farm yesterday. I'll send the kids out walking again today.

Just remembered, I got ours at Harbor Freight, if you have one around. Ace Hardware might have one too.

Are there any local buy/sell/swap boards on Facebook that you are part of?  I know that I have seen a lot of people post their missing pet on there and had luck finding it since so many people from that area are part of it.

We don't have this that I am aware of. I'll look into it.

Any updates?

Does your neighborhood have a "Nextdoor" social media thing going on? It's a social media site for just your neighborhood, and if you have it, it's worth posting on there. It's helped a few people here find lost pets quickly.

I hope the cat turns up.

I'm praying that you find your cat. Just some encouragement.... my cat disappeared for about 4 months once - long enough that I actually went out and got a kitten. Then she just showed up in the yard one day. I wondered if she'd been hanging around and decided she'd better reassert herself when the new kitten showed up. Also, my brother's cat survived and attempt on his life by a coyote, so even in a coyote infested area there's hope for a tough cat.

I'm praying that you find your cat. Just some encouragement.... my cat disappeared for about 4 months once - long enough that I actually went out and got a kitten. Then she just showed up in the yard one day. I wondered if she'd been hanging around and decided she'd better reassert herself when the new kitten showed up. Also, my brother's cat survived and attempt on his life by a coyote, so even in a coyote infested area there's hope for a tough cat.

Or she was waiting for you to buy a kitty for her.

Still no cat. I did get a call last night from a lady who lives 2.5-3 miles from us. She said her dog had chased a cat up a tree. The cat was no where to be found when we got there. We went by this morning and searched around the area, but didn't find any cat. We took the cat trap by there this evening and set it up just in case.

• 2 weeks later...