Menu

Where to move in Texas

bethben

In my husband's quest for a job, Texas has come up in conversation.  Where are some great places to live?  We would like to be within spitting distance of a city so no small towns (of which I know there are a LOT).  Also a why it's a great place would also be helpful.

Beth

I have lived in several parts of Texas.  I grew up in the DFW area, went to college plus 5 more years in the Austin area, then got married and moved to the Houston area,  Austin is by far my favorite. It's such a fun city, with a great personality, and it's GORGEOUS there.  My husband's industry keeps us on the gulf coast, though, so we're in the suburbs of Houston.  Houston's not a bad place to be.  Friendly people, plenty to do, nice cost of living. 

Anywhere here in Central Texas, i.e., near Austin. It really is central--a few hours' drive from any of the other major cities (well, *several* hours from El Paso), pretty decent weather (warmer than Dallas/Ft. Worth, not nearly as humid than San Antonio or Houston), and, well, Jann in TX and me. :-)

Also, I'm a little afraid of being too hot...Right now we live in Minnesota.  I DO NOT like winter.  Right now it's snow/icing our driveway to a nice slick sheen.  I don't mind snow, I just wish it was a bit warmer.  A few days ago, it was 42 degrees.  I went on a walk, my son biked a mile to our downtown area with no coat because it was warm!  I have lived in Texas before.  I don't remember the heat bothering me as much as the dry droughty conditions.  Everything the summer before we moved was drying to a crisp and there was no let up in the heat.

We haven't lived in Tyler but it looked and felt like a good place to live. It is green and hilly countryside surrounding the city.

In DFW area the traffic can be frustrating. The area we live in has housing spread out all over the place and fair sized lots, an acre or so. Summer temps are usually over 95 for weeks and it doesn't cool down at night. The pool water is too warm. No basements. Housing prices are not as high as most other metro areas.

A lot of other areas in Texas seem to have a city or town plunked down in the middle of nowhere, and not much in the way of suburbs.

I want to move from Texas. There is something really different about living here and I know I will miss it, but the summers are as depressing to me as the winters were on the east coast. lol

Most people don't leave once they move here; I know a lot of transplants that haven't liked it either but they've been here a long time.

The past couple of weeks it has been in the 60s and sometimes low 70s. For the past 6 years we have had at Christmas either heavy snow fall, ice storms or a blizzard.

Tornadoes are often too frequent in the spring, along with hail storms. Scorpions, black widows, fire ants, and snakes are fairly common in some areas.

Good luck!

Dh is in Texas right now for work and we visited him in San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas. I think SA or Austin would be great to live in. We just visited, but both cities had a really fun vibe. I would pick Austin for our family (a little more central, maybe not as hot, smaller). We have hung out in round rock (near Austin) and it seems like a nice place to live.

The past couple of weeks it has been in the 60s and sometimes low 70s. For the past 6 years we have had at Christmas either heavy snow fall, ice storms or a blizzard.

Tornadoes are often too frequent in the spring, along with hail storms. Scorpions, black widows, fire ants, and snakes are fairly common in some areas.

See, here in Central Texas, we don't get heavy snow or blizzards, or tornadoes, and rarely hail storms. Some people get scorpions and snakes, but I've been here 10 years and haven't seen any scorpions and only one snake. We do have fire ants.

Lived in Dallas for 8 years--right by White Rock Lake. It's one of my favorite places I've ever lived--nice people, plenty to do, good churches (for us), ok schools (but I'm glad we moved before Jr Hi), not too expensive. Hot, but lovely skies. I remember watching the fronts blow in--so beautiful. Miss those skies! It's fairly green, but not nearly as many trees as VA--still not dry sand and rocks like in the western part, but not the hills so many find gorgeous in the middle of TX (not my taste, but I get it). We did get ice occasionally (once it hailed baseball-sized hail, too--the storms are wicked sometimes but exciting!). The heat is fine for me--everything is air conditioned and you get used to it, and it isn't humid like Houston.

But I've never been anywhere else in TX (to live). I would stay away from Plano, but Flower Mound is up and coming. We just liked Dallas proper, though.

Oh! And Dallas has the State Fair! We miss that, too. :laugh:

See, here in Central Texas, we don't get heavy snow or blizzards, or tornadoes, and rarely hail storms. Some people get scorpions and snakes, but I've been here 10 years and haven't seen any scorpions and only one snake. We do have fire ants.

Oh, the fire ants. I must've blocked that out. Yeah, they are not fun.

I am pretty partial to East Texas, but it may be too far from a big city (what is your definition of a big city?). I am two hours east of Dallas and about 75 minutes west of Shreveport. To me, it is perfect. The landscape is beautiful. I love the trees and hills and lakes.

I am pretty partial to East Texas, but it may be too far from a big city (what is your definition of a big city?). I am two hours east of Dallas and about 75 minutes west of Shreveport. To me, it is perfect. The landscape is beautiful. I love the trees and hills and lakes.

I lived in Lindale for 5 years (near Tyler).  I did like it in some respects.  It's just not a big enough city area for us.  We need access within an hours drive of a children's hospital or specialty clinic.  I have two kids with medical issues - not every month issues, but enough to make me shy away from this area.

I lived in Lindale for 5 years (near Tyler). I did like it in some respects. It's just not a big enough city area for us. We need access within an hours drive of a children's hospital or specialty clinic. I have two kids with medical issues - not every month issues, but enough to make me shy away from this area.

I hear you about the drive to doctors. I have to go to UT Southwestern every few months. It's not the most fun drive. Maybe Canton? I hear a lot of people like it there. And it's about an hour out of Dallas. Maybe a hair more.

Austin is awesome, so many things to do, but really expensive compared to other cities right now and traffic is bad.  Not Houston bad, but still pretty bad.  Northern San Antonio would give you access to both cities but the prices for housing are usually a bit cheaper.  LOTS of homeschoolers in San Antonio and many different homeschooling businesses that are homeschool friendly.  

I've lived in Houston for 10 years. I was not enthusiastic about the move, but it's grown on me (like a fungus that loves hot, humid conditions). Seriously, Houston has a very good medical center and lots of family friendly activities. It's got almost every pro sport you could want (except for hockey--much to T's disappointment). It's got a vibrant performing arts scene with lots of free programming. There are lots of homeschooling groups and activities. You do need to pick your suburb carefully and check out the traffic conditions before you buy. There are still some pockets with reasonable commutes.

Fort Worth is lovely! We lived there several years and always feel like we will go back there, someday. Maybe retirement. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ‚¬ It's very rich in cultural activities, great museums, has outdoor type things, very clean downtown, awesome symphony, great restaurants. Our oldest was still very young when we lived there, so I'm not sure about the homeschooling groups, but I imagine there would be plenty of opportunity in a city that size. We loved it there.

If, and that would be the biggest if you've ever heard, we were to move back to Texas, we've always said it would be near Tyler(Lindale area would be great). Beautiful country, big city close and not that far from Dallas or Houston.

All of Texas----too hot, wild hogs, too hot, wild hog, too hot and then there are the fire ants.

Northern Texas feels like the Great Plains until thou get to DFW. Then it just becomes one huge metro area.

And then, if you keep going east, it turns into the Piney Woods! Trees, trees and more trees.

ETA: I also love, love San Antonio! If I didn't love it here so much and didn't have family here, SA would be where I'd go.

In my husband's quest for a job, Texas has come up in conversation.  Where are some great places to live?  We would like to be within spitting distance of a city so no small towns (of which I know there are a LOT).  Also a why it's a great place would also be helpful.

Beth

At least around Austin, there are a TON of small towns that are still in "spitting distance" of the city

Pflugerville. Hutto. Taylor. Manor. Elgin off the top of my head.

All of Texas----too hot, wild hogs, too hot, wild hog, too hot and then there are the fire ants.

In Central Texas, I've never seen a wild hog. Really hot weather only a couple of months out of the year.

I'll give you fire ants, although it's very easy to treat for them.

Also, I'm a little afraid of being too hot...Right now we live in Minnesota. I DO NOT like winter. Right now it's snow/icing our driveway to a nice slick sheen. I don't mind snow, I just wish it was a bit warmer. A few days ago, it was 42 degrees. I went on a walk, my son biked a mile to our downtown area with no coat because it was warm! I have lived in Texas before. I don't remember the heat bothering me as much as the dry droughty conditions. Everything the summer before we moved was drying to a crisp and there was no let up in the heat.

Everywhere in Texas is hot in the summers. The question is would you like a little snow?

Houston - Positives are big city, good food, fantastic museums, lower cost of living (though not as low as it used to be). A bit of snow every decade or so. There's a lot of traffic but the freeways are extensive. Negatives: humid - be prepared for many days of 100% humidity and no rain. Sticky, disgusting heat, ugly terrain.

Austin and the Hill country - Positives: beautiful area, neat culture. College town which could be taken as a positve or negative. Negatives: expensive housing, horrible traffic. Hot and dry.

Dallas/Fort Worth - Positives: many suburbs to choose from, prettier than Houston, not as pretty as Austin. Negatives: The Cowboys. Really hot in the summer, relatively cold in the winter.

The Panhandle - why would you want to move here? ;)

We have a whole herd of wild hogs that comes through.....17 at last count, not including the littles.

Bryan/College Station area is smack in the middle of all the big metros so it is easy to do day trips for the big stuff. Not much to do routinely while here, but Texas A&M and Blinn provide wonderful arts and educational community resources. Lots of homeschool support, and has a much better cost of living than the bigger cities and their suburbs.

Stefanie

I wanted to move for a long time, I'm from MI and missed the green grass and seasons. But TX has really grown on me and I LOVE the part of DFW we live in. There are so many things to do here, dh and I just had a date night on Saturday at a locally owned hole in the wall Tex Mex restaurant and it was so much fun. Everyone and their brother was there and it's just easy to meet people here, people are friendly. I don't want to be too specific on the internet, but I live in a cluster of suburbs of Ft Worth that are awesome.

I was just telling dh that some people had commented on wild hogs and I have no idea what they're talking about, have never experienced that, and he reminded me of the time when we were driving through an affluent suburb of Ft Worth and a herd of pigs went running by, right through traffic. I assume they escaped from somewhere and weren't wild though. I admit the zoning here did blow my mind when I moved from where I lived in MI- it's not uncommon to see a fancy shopping center and then some land with some cows right next to it.

I believe one consideration is what kind of work your DH does and whether or not you like to go to the beach. I lived in North Central Texas for 28 years. Before my decision to move from the USA I was planning to move to Corpus Christi. On the Gulf Coast, one is subject to occasional Hurricanes, but it is obvious where they are and one can evacuate to San Antonio or some nearby place to get out of their path.

Someone mentioned Plano. I lived there and in some other cities. Whatever the COL there was, it is going to go up, because Toyota is moving their U.S. HQ from CA to Plano.  Flower Mound was mentioned and my late best friend and his wife lived there.

We have this conversation in our house occasionally. My wife and I did about 2 weeks ago. For us, possibly it would be Lubbock. Tech is there, they have an airport with airline service and all the trappings of a big city (medical school, etc.) with clear skies for my wife (she's an amateur astronomer). Yet it isn't a huge city with horrible traffic, etc. The people who live there seem to be quite happy living in Lubbock.

The closer  you get to the Mexican border the more Latinos you will see and be with. If you like an "international" flavor that would begin in San Antonio and South of there.

El Paso was mentioned and that is so far West it is in the Mountain time zone!  I'm not sure if it is still true, because of the violence a few years ago in Juarez, but El Paso was one of the safest U.S. cities, among cities of it's size. It is very dry there. More like New Mexico or Arizona.

Texas has mountains (Big Bend National Park area in West Texas) but it isn't like the Rocky Mountains and there is no skiing. Texans go to Colorado to ski.

I never saw a herd of wild pigs (or any wild pigs) during my 28 years in Texas but I have seen Armadillos.  And Fire Ants.

There are a number of smaller cities (Brownsville, McAllen, Laredo) in the Rio Grande Valley, on the border, if one really likes an International feeling, but because of the lack of immigration control on the border, I would  not recommend those cities at this time. 

It is extremely hot for 6 or 8 months of the year. The Winters are usually very mild. There are occasional ice storms and they are much worse than snow. Usually, if it is incredibly cold during the Winter, one knows that in 3 or 4 days it will be very nice again and in a week or so golfers will be on the course playing during the Winter.

The reasons so many people move to Texas include: Low COL, no state income tax, the job growth, the weather and many others.  There are pros and cons to every state one might live in and to every city one might live in. No place is perfect and everything is a compromise. Check it out and good luck with your decision!  

Our problem right now is that dh is being offered some jobs, but they don't even get above 200% above poverty for our family size. Put two kids with medical needs into the mix and it becomes undo able. It's beyond living paycheck to paycheck. Texas has been on the radar because of much cheaper housing than we have here and if dh is going to be offered lower paying jobs, we have to cut somewhere and housing is the only thing we can get lower on right now.

If I could choose, I would pick Lubbock. It is not as "pretty" as the Hill Country or east Texas, but it is less humid and the let agin makes it a bit cooler. Mostly, I like it because it is a big enough city to have most everything a personcould need, but small enough that it doesn't have the traffic issues of The larger cities unless there is a TTU sporting event. Medical care must be pretty good as well, because where I live now many people whe need more specialized care all go to Lubbock even though it is several hours away.

What is it that causes you to need to be within spitting distance of a city?  I think it will make a difference in the suggestions.  

Also, we just moved to a small town that is a 20 minute drive from major DFW suburb where I work.  We bought the house insanely cheap, but we are still a reasonable drive to full civilization and a Children's Hospital.  Also, the schools were recently incredibly bad, which meant there is an active homeschooling group even in the small town.  But, I think a lot of it depends on where the job is located. 

I wonder why a PP said to not move to Plano.  We just moved from there.  The libraries are freakin' awesome.  The city rec. centers are amazing, seriously.  I've met people at the pools that drove in from out of state to use the pools.  They have huge homeschooling groups (none of which we joined).  It also seems relatively easy to find a job.  Particularly jobs that don't require a degree.  

One of the things I love about the DFW area is the long spring and fall.  For 6 to 7 months out of the year I can keep the house in the 70's just by opening the windows at the right time of the day.   The winters are so mild that right now, the house doesn't even have central heat because we haven't found anyone willing to work on the existing system.  They only sell new furnaces.  So, we have three small space heaters.  

We lived in Fort Worth for two years.  I would happily move back.  The kids and I loved it there (dh missed home a lot)  There was always something to do.  There were seasons.  (there was a foot of snow the first January we lived there.  That, however, is extremely rare)  Lots of homeschoolers.  

Our problem right now is that dh is being offered some jobs, but they don't even get above 200% above poverty for our family size. Put two kids with medical needs into the mix and it becomes undo able. It's beyond living paycheck to paycheck. Texas has been on the radar because of much cheaper housing than we have here and if dh is going to be offered lower paying jobs, we have to cut somewhere and housing is the only thing we can get lower on right now.

I'd check very carefully about what kind of medical insurance and disabled services you would qualify for. Texas is not a generous state.

I'd check very carefully about what kind of medical insurance and disabled services you would qualify for. Texas is not a generous state.

I've checked.  They are not too generous with the under 18 crowd, but a lot opens up when you turn 18 and even more when you turn 21.  We're very close to those markers so it's not as big of a deal.  If we had a little guy, they told me they would recommend not moving there.

We have a whole herd of wild hogs that comes through.....17 at last count, not including the littles.

Bryan/College Station area is smack in the middle of all the big metros so it is easy to do day trips for the big stuff. Not much to do routinely while here, but Texas A&M and Blinn provide wonderful arts and educational community resources. Lots of homeschool support, and has a much better cost of living than the bigger cities and their suburbs.

Stefanie

And College Station, at least, has a wonderful high school.

My sister homeschools in the BCS area and we both graduated high school there.

We live the Houston area. Lots of suburbs with a variety of prices. There are some wonderful smaller towns about an 40 minutes south of Houston . Freeport and Lake Jackson come to mind that are even less expensive, but within driving distance for medical issues or fun. Jobs are pretty plentiful in those small towns and Houston. My family loves it.

Houston is close to Galveston island..so the gulf is there. Cultural,homeschool, sporting events abound. Great medical center. It is big, (4th largest city) and commuting isn't fun. There are so many homeschool groups, zoo, opera, professional sports, children's museum, science museum...homeschool classes there too. I'm originally from the northwest corner of Iowa. The differences seem to be weather and diversity or people , both of which I am a huge fan. Very friendly people,smaller towns more friendly that the Midwest, larger suburbs still friendly, but a bit more reserved and very like the Midwest.

For special needs though... Note my nephew was born in BCS (10 years ago) and they had to airlift him to the children's hospital in Houston because there was nothing in BCS that could handle his issue.

We love Fort Worth.

FW has a more laid back vibe than Dallas, but with access to great museums, hospitals (Cooks is one of the best.) and restaurants. The downtown scene is popular--Sundance Square, West 7th, and a bit more north-the Stockyards.

Lots of homeschoolers.

Even better--terrific home values.

I've helped quite a few clients find homes in the Fort Worth and surrounding area. You might like looking toward Weatherford, too.

We love Fort Worth.

FW has a more laid back vibe than Dallas, but with access to great museums, hospitals (Cooks is one of the best.) and restaurants. The downtown scene is popular--Sundance Square, West 7th, and a bit more north-the Stockyards.

Lots of homeschoolers.

Even better--terrific home values.

I've helped quite a few clients find homes in the Fort Worth and surrounding area. You might like looking toward Weatherford, too.

Yes.

Cooks is a fabulous hospital with many specialty clinics.  Good medical care is easy to come by.  There is a Shriner's associated facility in Dallas. 

Also, the southern Tarrant/northern Johnson county areas are very good.  Tarrant County College is the community college system for Tarrant Co, and it is a good one and extensive.  I grew up in Tarrant County.  The Burleson area (Johnson County) is a wonderful place to rear a family.

Central Texas -- hill country!!!

I live within 30 miles of 3 metro areas-- Austin, San Marcos and New Braunfels and just under an hour from San Antonio.  We live on 12 heavily wooded acres on top of a hill... beautiful and relaxing!

Our local community is a small tourist town (Wimberley) with a beautiful cypress tree lined creek that boasts one of the BEST swimming holes and parks (walking/biking trails) in the state-- easliy 20 degrees cooler down by the spring-fed creek in the summer.

I'm definately a 'South Austin' girl (where I do most of my shopping)-- but I do get up to the northern parts (to visit Ellie and go to Ikea...) a few times a year.

Contrary to other posters the weater is only hot for a few months --usually around 8 weeks.  The hill country is several degrees cooler.  The vast majority of the year we are in 60's and 70's (like this week).  We have had a few freezes this year already-- but the deep cold only lasts a few days at a time.  Snow-- well we have had measurable snow 2 times in the last 12 years-- and even then by afternoon it was near 70...  we go to Colorado to 'visit' the snow (after living for 7 years just outside of Chicago we've had enough snow for our lifetime!).

We just had a beautiful 'autumn' around Thanksgiving... spring will come in March and last through June..

Lived here most of my life and never saw a wild hog.

In Central Texas, I've never seen a wild hog. Really hot weather only a couple of months out of the year.

I'll give you fire ants, although it's very easy to treat for them.

LOL, we live in Central Texas and my husband has two hog hunting dogs; at least half of our meat comes from wild hogs. They are usually a nuisance on large ranches, but not so much in residential areas. He has hunted on ranches from just south of Dallas to as far south as Giddings.

They have two now.....but CS is worse than Bryan in other ways.  They have higher taxes and almost the most expensive utility rates in the state.  Also, Bryan has more affordable housing.

For special needs though... Note my nephew was born in BCS (10 years ago) and they had to airlift him to the children's hospital in Houston because there was nothing in BCS that could handle his issue.

Special services have gotten better, especially for newborns.  But for commuting, we are close enough to several major metros to have a choice about where you go.  Its about an 1 1/2 hours to the medical districts in the city center (Austin and Houston), closer still to the outlying branches.  You also have very reasonable commute to Temple. 

But really, the biggest thing the area has going for it is the professional jobs here usually pay better compared to the COL.  It is close enough to the big metros that the pay has to be competitive but there is enough transient student population to keep the COL low.

Stefanie

I think there's a large medical complex now outside of Houston, in Katy. IIRC, they're a part of Texas Children's Hospital? Anyway, going west on I10 towards Katy and Brookshire- it's a popular, fast growing area. When I was young, that whole area was just farms and cool old houses with huge oak trees in the yards. Now it's neighborhoods, malls, and shopping galore.

Yes, it is Texas Children's West Campus. I live about 3 miles away, and I've taken DS to their ER a few times. It's been wonderful having it so close by. Plus, there is also the Methodist Hospital's West campus and they are building more and more medical plazas in the area.

I've lived in Katy for the past 20 years, and it's still growing by leaps and bounds. Plus, it's not too far from downtown. The school district is one of the "best" in the state, but having worked for them in Special Ed, I can tell you they like to pad their numbers by ARDing anyone they feel might not pass the TAKS or whatever they're calling those tests now. If you are planning on buying in the area (even if you are homeschooling) try to pay attention to the schools your house is zoned to because it will make a huge difference in resale value. If you stay on the south side of I10, you're generally better off. Unfortunately, we are on the north side because DH was building his house already before we met, and he didn't really know anything about Katy other than it was a short commute to work.

There are lots of homeschoolers in the area and a few good groups as well.