Menu

Need a new family game that doesn't take a super long time, and isn't complicated to learn.

FaithManor

We currently have:

Blokus

Scrabble

Equate (in a family of mathematicians, this went on for so long that we finally had to put a three minute time limit on moves so we didn't have the board out on the dining room table for days....though...I'd just like to say that when you leave it out that long, some of the equations are brilliant! LOL)

Scattegories

Apples to Apples

Trivial Pursuit (which we love, but takes too long)

Monopoly (takes too long)

Snorta

Bubbletalk

Mexican Train (the domino thing...this one we speed up by only playing seven rounds and calling it quits)

Risk (goes on for days, makes me nuts)

Boggle

Guestures

Crandium Cadoo

Settlers of Catan - the boys aren't that fond of this one.

Taboo. It has a timer and you can figure it out in 30 seconds. You get your teammates to guess a word, like 'cat.' The catch is it's timed and you have a list of words that you are not allowed to use in your description. Of course, the list has all the words you WANT to use in your description, like feline, whiskers, meow, etc . . .

It ends up sounding like this:

Our Sookie was a . . .

CAT

The guy at St Johns who can't get married

PRIEST

He married that lady with the dress that flew up

JOE DIMAGGIO

Daddy hates this . . .

Traffic, noise, CHEESE

You sleep in . . .

:BUZZER:: YOU SAID SLEEP!

The person giving the clues can skip words they don't like or know, so it works for any age that can read. It's also super fun to play with mathy types who are accustomed to always winning Risk and whatnot and are now forced to rely on speed, vocabulary, and creativity.

We have a very wide range of kids and try to keep our game on the simple end for the littles so this one is a favorite in our house:

http://www.amazon.com/Education-Outdoors-311314-Camp-Board/dp/B0010SSBNY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417536633&sr=8-1&keywords=camp+board+game

It's quick and there are three levels to the questions so the littles can play right along with the older kids.

Our family likes Qwirkle, too, for a fast, easy-to-set-up game. My older kids like to try to make it into a solid mass of blocks in the middle. I tend to like to build it out like Scrabble. We rarely keep score any more except for keeping a count of how many "Qwirkles" we have. 

Taboo. It has a timer and you can figure it out in 30 seconds. You get your teammates to guess a word, like 'cat.' The catch is it's timed and you have a list of words that you are not allowed to use in your description. Of course, the list has all the words you WANT to use in your description, like feline, whiskers, meow, etc . . .

It ends up sounding like this:

Our Sookie was a . . .

CAT

The guy at St Johns who can't get married

PRIEST

He married that lady with the dress that flew up

JOE DIMAGGIO

Daddy hates this . . .

Traffic, noise, CHEESE

You sleep in . . .

:BUZZER:: YOU SAID SLEEP!

The person giving the clues can skip words they don't like or know, so it works for any age that can read. It's also super fun to play with mathy types who are accustomed to always winning Risk and whatnot and are now forced to rely on speed, vocabulary, and creativity.

:lol: We always have fun with that one. In a similar vein, there's also Catchphrase.

fluxx.  we have several versions, but the most recent one we played was Wizard of Oz and it was funny.  Zombie is better for older kids...more involved than the basic game. 

uno.  just set a time limit for play and whoever has less cards wins. 

Forbidden island.  Our family likes this game and at first it's long, but now we can play it quickly.  

yahtzee.  again, you can tweak things so it goes faster. 

Spot it.  

rummikub.  not fast, but our family really enjoys this game. 

Dominion.  I don't have it, but I hear it's like Catan but shorter and less competitive.  

Card games.  We played a new one this summer that the name started with an F.  It was fun and fairly fast(15 min).  If you really wanted to learn it I could try to write out the directions.  But I bet if you just google family card games online you can come up with some fun ones.  

Khet is our newest game and we play in teams.  lasers.  It's fun

Goofy teens?  Ah.  

Okay, since I've got teens and they love goofy word and phrase games, I'm going to go with Taboo as one of them. Haven't decided yet what the other will be. So may of these look good!

Well.  In that case...

fluxx.  we have several versions, but the most recent one we played was Wizard of Oz and it was funny.  Zombie is better for older kids...more involved than the basic game. 

Monty Python Fluxx.  Hilarious.

Monopoly Deal is so much fun! We got it for Christmas a few years ago and we took it to our family Christmases and then everyone went out and bought their own. It is easy to learn and games go quickly although the more people that are playing the longer the game lasts. If you have more than 5 people playing, you need 2 decks. The goal is to collect 3 sets of properties- the same ones on a monopoly board, but there are cards where you can steal someone's property or force them to trade or charge them rent. It's addicting. Dh and I go in spurts where we play all the time. We play whenever we get together with his family and there are a couple other families that we play with too! I wouldn't suggest this for a family with younger kids, but teens and up would be perfect. (I only have littles, it's not a game we play with our kids)

Uno ( I've never seen a game of it take extremely long )

Scrabble ( I suppose it could, but I've never played more than an hour )

Dominoes

Clue ( There's different versions too so you can get regular or something themed )

Battleship ( Only two can play at once, but I suppose you could either get more games, or teams )

Sorry ( It doesn't take that long for us, and 4 can play at once )

Pictionary ( You can make your own rules with the idea of someone draws and the others guess what it is )

Scene - It ( I'm not sure how many can play, we only have 2 play, but I don't think it's hard to learn or takes long. We have the Potter ones, and we get through the game quickly. )

We also like SET. And Scrabble, with double points for using Latin vocabulary words. Set is fast and Scrabble is not! Clue is a current fave of the youngest.

We also play the classics - chess, backgammon and senet - but those are just two person games, come to think of it.

Spinner is a version of dominoes with enough twist to allow for strategizing. It's good for a crowd. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BBSA0U/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1417546936&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

We need a new game for Christmas, I will be watching this thread.

So long as all of the players are ten and up, I vote for Wise and Otherwise.  It's a fun game in which one person serves as reader and the other players write the endings to obscure sayings.  The reader writes the actual ending to the saying and then reads aloud all the options.  Players gain points when their ending is voted for.  The reader gains points if no one votes for the correct ending.

It's an easy game to learn.  It's one of our favorite games for groups of four to six players.

A prompt might be something such as: There's an Old Dutch saying.  "In the land of blind men, ...."  Highlight to see correct answer here: One Eye is king.

Regards,

Kareni