Menu

I seem to be the only person who finds this funny.

Jenny in Florida

(Lest you worry about my husband's feelings as you read the exchange below: Know that it's a well accepted source of amusement that he's just not good with this stuff. He frequently doesn't remember the names of actors or movies or books or authors or TV shows . . . This has been true since we were in high school. He has been known to be scrolling through the cable guide looking for something to watch and come find me to ask me if he's already seen a given movie and, if so, whether he liked it. It's not like this is evidence of a decline in his mental faculties or anything. It was just a new personal best for him.)

My husband wants to rent a movie.

He pulled up the Redbox site and was browsing, complaining about how there were so many movies available and yet nothing much he wanted to watch. (I was in the next room, checking something on the computer.) After a few minutes, he wandered in here and said, as a measure of how slim the pickings were at Redbox today, that the best option he saw was some flick from 1979 that he'd never heard of.

I was a bit puzzled about Redbox stocking a film that old, but sometimes things do get re-released or come back into vogue. So, I just made noncommittal commiseration sounds. It's a running joke around here that our taste in films varies  w  i  d  e  l  y.

He went on to say, as though trying to talk himself into thinking it might be a reasonable option, that the movie did have Liv Schreiber and "the guy who plays Nick on Suits."

At that point, I did look at him quizzically, since I don't actually remember there being a character on Suits named Nick. He pondered for a moment and then said, "Wait, not Suits. What's the show with the ex-con who helps the FBI? He wears a fedora?"

(Please know that I don't watch that show, but my husband and son do. So, I have a glancing familiarity with it.) I responded, "White Collar?"

Yes, he agreed, White Collar. Because I'm not especially knowledgeable about the show, but he seemed to think this tidbit of information would be meaningful to me, I asked who Nick is. He told me Nick is the one who wears the fedora.

I said, "Wait, I thought his name was Neal?"

"Right! Neal!"

"Hang on, though, is that actor even old enough to have been in a movie in 1979? Are you sure that's when the film was made?"

"Huh, true. I don't know. Could you look it up for me?" He gestured at my computer.

I asked what the title was, and he said "Space Station 79 . . . or maybe 78." I spun around and typed into Google "Space Station 7 . . ." and was immediately rewarded with a link to the imdb page for a movie called Space Station 76.

It stars not Liv Schreiber, but Liv Tyler (especially amusing, since the two actors aren't even the same gender).

It was released in 2014, not 1979, 1978 or even 1976.

It does also feature Matt Bomer, but he plays Neal on White Collar, not Nick on Suits

In other words, my husband had nearly every single fact he shared with me about that film wrong. Nonetheless, if the opinions and ratings on Rotten Tomatoes hadn't been really, really bad, he would likely be in the car right now on his way to Redbox to rent the movie.

For some reason, it struck me as really, really funny.

There are many days like that here. My husband will relay 5-10 facts about something...every single one of them wrong, and I can still figure out what he is talking about!  I think it comes from being familiar with their own particular brand of senility. :laugh:

Reminds me of the good ole days when dh's job was stressful and the days were long. At the end of the week we'd usually rent a video. Sometimes he'd pick one that sounded good and I'd tell him we'd already seen it. He'd say he didn't remember seeing it. Well, that's because most of those were movies he watched with his eyes closed. Lol

My husband hasn't eaten a meal in 22 years without dropping some of his food on his shirt.  And you know what, after 22 years I find it absolutely hilarious.  Sometimes I end up in peals of laughter.  What's so funny is that he acts completely surprised Every Single Time.  It's like, "What?  I dropped food on my shirt?!  How could this happen?"  Every single time.

He used to get offended at my laughter, but now he just rolls with it.

This is my dad!  Almost all his media related stories start out with "you know, that guy in that movie that came out..."  The hilarious part is that after 20+ years of marriage, my step-mom usually knows who/what he is talking about.  My brother and I just laugh.

oh my word! I am that way, too. All of it. I once told DH I wanted to watch a movie, "you know, the one with the grass? remember?"  When pushed, I was able to elaborate and remember that it had girls in it. And buildings. And that I thought one of the girls was an assassin, but that the grass was razor sharp and she couldn't touch it. I kept really hitting that point, about the grass. 

Somehow, he finally got it, we rented it, it was not so great, at all (I had remembered loving it, so....not sure what happened there). And then I still didn't remember the name of it again later. 

(it's Aeon Flux, for those of you who will not rest until you figure out the movie "with the grass.")

oh my word! I am that way, too. All of it. I once told DH I wanted to watch a movie, "you know, the one with the grass? remember?" When pushed, I was able to elaborate and remember that it had girls in it. And buildings. And that I thought one of the girls was an assassin, but that the grass was razor sharp and she couldn't touch it. I kept really hitting that point, about the grass.

Somehow, he finally got it, we rented it, it was not so great, at all (I had remembered loving it, so....not sure what happened there). And then I still didn't remember the name of it again later.

(it's Aeon Flux, for those of you who will not rest until you figure out the movie "with the grass.")

I knew exactly which movie you meant (well, not the name). Totally would have described it the same. I may or may not have seen it....

oh my word! I am that way, too. All of it. I once told DH I wanted to watch a movie, "you know, the one with the grass? remember?"  When pushed, I was able to elaborate and remember that it had girls in it. And buildings. And that I thought one of the girls was an assassin, but that the grass was razor sharp and she couldn't touch it. I kept really hitting that point, about the grass. 

I knew which movie you were talking about once you mentioned assassin. LOL

My FIL is this way, but with idiomatic expressions.  He is always telling someone not to count their chickens before they cross the bridge, or something like that.  The other day it was someone having "eagle ears."  (Do eagles even have ears?)

DH and I used to crack up watching The Office because my FIL IS Michael Scott.  To this day we still laugh over him - Michael Scott - saying a chair was "Urkel-nomically designed."  That's exactly something FIL would say.

Being able to answer questions like those - esp in trivia games - is a big reason why I married my hubby.  I see no need to memorize names or characters, so I don't usually have a clue who played who in what - even if I like the show or movie.  I know songs I like, but rarely will I know who did them.

And I score too high on those face blindness tests, so I could be sitting right next to some "star" or another and not know it - or care - even if I like their shows.  

No apologies!

I can, however, describe in detail many hikes we've been on and remember the names of some awesome vistas or campgrounds we've loved.  ;)

I have a good memory for useless knowledge, but a poor memory for events.

Last year, dh got invited to the opening of the Geo Washington Presidential Library. Vince Gill was there to sing, and dh got to ride in the bus with him. I commented at dinner that I'd loved Amy Grant at one point and wished I'd have gotten to see her in concert (she's VG's wife).

Dh was all, What do you mean? I took you to see her years ago!

No memory of that at.all. At. ALL.

That's me... its a combination of my dad being first generation raised in US by ESL parents and my temperament. I still get analogies wrong and say things incorrectly here and there because its probably how my parents said it.... Temperament wise, I'm feeling first, then sensing, then intuition. Thinking is inferior function so although I'm fairly logical, it takes more effort and may get short circuited... A song, first I know how the music makes me feel. I can hum it. As far as the lyrics, I will always get them wrong, I have to read them. Several times. My incorrect analogies are constant entertainment to those close to me. And my recall. But hey, they always do know what I'm talking about, so I am an effective communicator, right?!? ;)

I can't remember names of restaurants at all or where they are located! For example, "the place where we were seated behind that lady who was a lawyer and talked really loud?" Or "the place where we had to walk down a few steps to the table area, and the tables were black?" My DH can identify the place based on these descriptions. :)

One grocery store I could never remember the name, so I gave up and I renamed it "Fast and Furious". It is actually

"Smart and Final." :)

One grocery store I could never remember the name, so I gave up and I renamed it "Fast and Furious". It is actually

My husband has a tendency to latch onto the name of one store and then, forever after, use that name for every business of its kind. For example, there was a gaming and comic book store we used to frequent when we lived in New Jersey 20 years ago, and he will often call either or both of the stores we have here by that name. He does the same thing with restaurants.

I usually do okay interpreting his comments about movies and books and such, but this quirk is actually a little confusing to me.

Can't blame you on that one. That's a strange name for a grocery. I wouldn't remember it, either.

I jokingly told my kids the other day that I would only take them to see Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day if they could tell me the correct name. They can't do it.

My husband has a tendency to latch onto the name of one store and then, forever after, use that name for every business of its kind. For example, there was a gaming and comic book store we used to frequent when we lived in New Jersey 20 years ago, and he will often call either or both of the stores we have here by that name. He does the same thing with restaurants.

I usually do okay interpreting his comments about movies and books and such, but this quirk is actually a little confusing to me.

I call every auto parts store Track Auto. There was one by my house growing up. I haven't been at an actual track auto in probably 25 years. But yes, NAPA, Auto Zone, the car department at Sears, the Ford dealership, and the Honda dealership are all track auto in my mind.

I call every auto parts store Track Auto. There was one by my house growing up. I haven't been at an actual track auto in probably 25 years. But yes, NAPA, Auto Zone, the car department at Sears, the Ford dealership, and the Honda dealership are all track auto in my mind.

Yep, as far as my husband is concerned, all auto parts stores are Pep Boys.

There are many days like that here. My husband will relay 5-10 facts about something...every single one of them wrong, and I can still figure out what he is talking about!  I think it comes from being familiar with their own particular brand of senility. :laugh:

One of my first jobs was working at a guest ranch, for a mother and son pair who owned and ran the place.  One day R (son) came into the kitchen to see what C (mother) and I were doing (preparing to open for the season), and overheard something like:

"A, would you hand me the gigimungus?"

"I don't see it.  Where'd you put it?"

"It's right next to the thingamajig."

"Oh, here it is.  The whatchamacallit was hiding it."

(The entire conversation without us looking at each other to verify what either meant.)

He stared at us in consternation, and then just left, shaking his head.

He told me later he had never before found someone who was able to speak his mother's language.