Menu

What are you doing to boost immunity?

blue daisy

Several people mentioned in the other threads that they are doing things to boost immunity in their family, taking vitamins, etc.  Can you share specific things you are doing?  I've gotten a little lax about the kids' vitamins.  I need to get back on that.  We usually do a quality multivitamin and Vitamin D, but I'm wondering what else they should be getting.

funny this thread should be here today....I was just talking about immune strength with various friends.  My plan so far:

vit D suppliments

staying out of crowded indoor shopping areas

wiping down carts when grocery shopping

diffusing essential oils through the home

staying hydrated

careful attention to diet

plenty of rest

taking immune builders at first sign of bug

trying to stay ahead of stress

I stocked up on elderberry my most recent trip to health food store.  I also ordered more essential oils for immune building and bug fighting with my most recent order. 

I know this sounds crazy, but when we dropped cows milk from our diets we stopped getting sick. In 6 six years I've had the flu once and haven't had a cold. I've heard the same from others.

Interesting. I have not heard this. Does this include all dairy - cheese, cream, yogurt, cream cheese, butter, etc?

Interesting. I have not heard this. Does this include all dairy - cheese, cream, yogurt, cream cheese, butter, etc?

We still eat cheese, but not much. We dropped dairy when we found out I had an allergy, and we noticed the lack of illness about a year later. Sometimes food allergies come up in conversation and we'll bring it up and others have said that they noticed as well.

Theoretically we're getting more rest, or at least I'm *trying* to. This, in addition to the regular vitamin regimen (which I happen to be lax about.)

LOL, with my 10 month old and 4 year old (who still gets up every night! ugh!), this one is tough!  But I will definitely be working on it.

1.Vitamin D3

2. quality probiotics (I use both Florastor and Epicor, both have proven ability to boost immune function; I think Epicor is probiotic in nature!)

3. colostrum

4. Eldeberry at first sign of illness or when someone in the home is sick

I think that's it as far as immune boosting supplements.

Hand washing and keeping unwashed hands out the face is key. Most people, especially kids, aren't good at this unfortunately! We do wash hands when we come home, before eating, etc.

I used to buy supplements, but judging by the garbagecanful of expired ones I decluttered, I probably should stop. I obviously like the idea of "wonder pills" more than the reality of remembering to take them every day.

Our resources are better used on real food (from the farm, not the TV) , gym membership for the twentysomething, and sufficient sitters or self-entertainment for the little that this elderly multigravida can get adequate sleep and time for yoga.

I'm currently sick, so not doing too well with my immune system right now. :)

However, last year, I was diligent about handwashing, wiping down carts at the store, taking a regular multivitamin and extra vit D supplement. Flu shots for everyone. Also ate yogurt every day. We were all very healthy throughout the entire year.....

Boosting immunity:

*fresh oranges and lemon in water

*cutting down sugar

*bone broth soups (does that decrease immunity or is it just healthy? I'm not actually sure about that one.)

*washing hands and hands away from the mouth, nose and eyes

*Lysol-ing down the house

That's about it for now. I sent ds home with my zinc lozenges but that's helpful if you feel the slightest twinge of a cold or sore throat. 

Lisa

It could not possibly include butter!!! Especially not Kerrygold butter!!! :)

I take Immune Stimulator, a supplement made by Nature's Sunshine and keep my Omega 3 as well as my Vitamin D3 up.

Is there anyone else who thinks that not being exposed to germs might possibly hinder the immune system? I must think a whole lot differently from many others in the sense that I rarely wipe down a thing anywhere, don't wash my hands particularly often (and NEVER with anything anti-bacterial), and never use disinfectants.

I do eat a healthy diet, take supplements when I remember, and avoid the flu shot.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I was sick enough to require medication (other than a Benadryl for allergies after dusting, or an Advil for the occasional headache).

I'm already on a mega dose of Vitamin D due to deficiency.

I take that oscillococcinum at first sign/symptom.

Other than that, I take more care to wash my hands.

Because I'm out in public a lot and not everybody does :wacko:.

When there's viruses around we cut half an onion and place it in the bedrooms. Apparently, it draws it into in onion and stops others from getting it. I read that doing that stopped people getting the plague.

Also a natural vitamin c, sunshine and lots of greens.

this is very interesting to me.

So just like ... cut it in half and put it in a bowl somewhere?

Does it have to be near the bed or anything?

How long do you leave it out or replace it?

And :ph34r: ... does the onion get nasty colored?

I, personally, LOVE the smell of onions.

I'm not sure how well it'd go over with the kids.

Does the smell ever fade, or ....?

I may pick up a few extra onions at the store today :).

I'm already on a mega dose of Vitamin D due to deficiency.

I take that oscillococcinum at first sign/symptom.

Other than that, I take more care to wash my hands.

Because I'm out in public a lot and not everybody does :wacko:.

this is very interesting to me.

So just like ... cut it in half and put it in a bowl somewhere?

Does it have to be near the bed or anything?

How long do you leave it out or replace it?

And :ph34r: ... does the onion get nasty colored?

I, personally, LOVE the smell of onions.

I'm not sure how well it'd go over with the kids.

Does the smell ever fade, or ....?

I may pick up a few extra onions at the store today :).

Yes, that's right- on a plate or bowl. I put them under beds.

I replace them about every third day.

You get used to your bedrooms smelling like a hamburger joint, lol!

Some sites claim the onion absorbing viruses is a myth. I'm having an open mind about it, as you never know the reasons they are targeting natural and cheap 'cures'. Sometimes there is wisdom in following Old Wives Remedies etc....

You might want to read this-

http://healthybliss.net/healing-power-of-onions-can-onions-absorb-bacteria-viruses-and-flu/

I've had this article bookmarked for awhile.

http://www.nutraceuticalsworld.com/issues/2002-07/view_features/immunity/

and I found the book "Superimmunity for Kids"  by Leo Galland to be a goldmine of basic information, both for dietary and supplemental nutrition.  That book turned around my kids' allergies, and one of the kids had allergies that we didn't even know about, just very subtle symptoms that didn't add up. 

Is there anyone else who thinks that not being exposed to germs might possibly hinder the immune system? I must think a whole lot differently from many others in the sense that I rarely wipe down a thing anywhere, don't wash my hands particularly often (and NEVER with anything anti-bacterial), and never use disinfectants.

I do eat a healthy diet,

I agree. I do the same things.

We are rarely sick around here.

(Now that you mention it, the one time I've been quite sick in recent times is when we were traveling & after a cruise where they used antibacterial spray on people constantly -- every time you went in & out of the restaurants, etc....)

I don't use antibacterial soaps.  I see that as a completely different thing than other immunity building things.  I was so sick last year that my team of doctors were very worried.  I was on 8 consecutive classes of antibiotics before we were finally able to get a handle on infection that was regularly causing my throat to swell up.  I don't really care if someone thinks I'm doing overkill or not.  

Nothing.

"What does that mean: boost the immune system? Most people apparently think that the immune system is like a muscle, and by working it, giving it supplements and vitamins,  the immune system will become stronger. Bigger. More impressive, bulging like Mr. UniverseĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s  bicep. ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the body part I am thinking about. What they are boosting is vague, on par with chi/qi or innate intelligence. They never really say what is being boosted.

The other popular phrase is Ă¢â‚¬Å“supportĂ¢â‚¬.  A product supports prostate health, or breast health or supports the immune system.  It sounds like the immune system is sagging against gravity due to age and needs a lift.

The immune system, if you are otherwise healthy, cannot be boosted, and doing those things you learned in Kindergarten health  (reasonable diet, exercise and sleep), will provide the immune system all the boosting or  support it needs."

the rest http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/boost-your-immune-system/

I want to keep myself from getting so stinking ill again.  Is that clear enough?  I don't find the semantic sarcasm to be helpful at all.  So. . . a lot of what I've listed are ways to avoid situations where I will be exposed to germs and viruses.  And ways to optimize my health because I don't have that nice baseline that the article supposes that I have.  I am not "otherwise healthy".  

at one point in my life - I was immune compromised. so, I've had to be very careful. my health is slowly improving.

aside from quality vitamins (re: bio-available forms. read labels. if it doesn't tell you the form, don't waste your money.  and then make sure it's a bio available form.)

sleep,

drinking enough water,

fresh air & exercise

healthy diet

I read of the link between healthy gut bacteria, and immune system so I started paying more attention to probiotics.  those with an enteric coating are better than those without as they will make it "to" your gut.  I started on the current brand (pro-15 by hyperbiotics) I'm taking just since the end of august - and last week when I was sick, I didn't have to go out of my way to aggressively fight a brewing sinus infection.  (I did eat phad thai . . .)  that's a real sign my health is improving.

I don't use antibacterial soaps.  I see that as a completely different thing than other immunity building things.  I was so sick last year that my team of doctors were very worried.  I was on 8 consecutive classes of antibiotics before we were finally able to get a handle on infection that was regularly causing my throat to swell up.  I don't really care if someone thinks I'm doing overkill or not.  

I hope you're doing some good quality probiotics now.  that's the thing about antibiotics . . . they kill the bad bacteria, but they kill the good bacteria too.

I've been on big gun antibiotics in the past.  the kind that are administered by an infusion pump. . .oh, and have such horrible side effects, I was on rx to counter-act the side effects.  

The 'otherwise healthy' really don't need to be using antibacterial stuff or supplementing the heck out of their budget.

For people who are surprised at waking up well, not by waking up sick ? Those people get to do all the things that work to reduce their illness load, preferably without accompanying raised eyebrows :)

I read recently that studies are finding using antibacterial soaps don't really get rid of germs better than regular ol' soap and good hand washing practices. The FDA (I know you're not in the US, that's just my reference, and your post just reminded me) is actually cracking down on the use of antibacterial ingredients, like Triclosan, in hand soaps and such. A lot of manufacturers have pulled the anti-bacterial ingredients out of their products.

This may be old news to some, but it was new to me. Just thought it was kinda interesting and maybe pertinent. :)

Of course, I think that's moot if you've got a condition that warrants the extra mile, so to speak, like Sadie or Jean. I think perhaps the use of all the extra anti-bacterial stuff is probably best saved for those folks who are immuno-compromised.  For the rest of us, it's probably good enough to wash regularly with plain soap and try to be as healthy as possible (e.g., a healthy diet, exercise, and enough rest). That's probably a good plan regardless, though!  I also think it's a good idea to stay home when sick, though that may be a different topic.

I hope you're doing some good quality probiotics now.  that's the thing about antibiotics . . . they kill the bad bacteria, but they kill the good bacteria too.

I've been on big gun antibiotics in the past.  the kind that are administered by an infusion pump. . .oh, and have such horrible side effects, I was on rx to counter-act the side effects.  

Yes, to the probiotics.  I took them during all the antibiotics as well, timing it so that I took them 2 hours apart.  What actually made a difference in my sinus and throat infection was doing a saline nasal rinse with baby shampoo and white vinegar in it.  Extremely painful and not something I would suggest to anyone unless they had what I was finally diagnosed with - antibiotic resistant bacteria with a biofilm.  The shampoo and vinegar were necessary to break down the biofilm (basically a wetsuit that the bacteria made as a defense against the meds) so that the antibiotics could actually do their job.  

Vitamins do help people who are deficient esp. in winter months when things like vitamin D levels are harder to keep up.  In my case, my body does not keep my levels up and so I need to keep supplementing.  (This is confirmed by testing and is not just a guess.)

My kids and dh all get flu shots.  I am unable to get one.  Hopefully this will protect me from them bringing viruses into the house where I will get them.  

Many have mentioned good food, sleep and exercise.  Those are not to be discounted.  But they are not always enough.  

My doctor wants me to reduce anything that taxes my immune system.  I am on allergy shots at the moment at his strong urging in the hope that we can reduce the load that allergies have on my system even though my allergies themselves are not super bad.  

I have gone gluten free in an experiment to see if that will help my immune system since I am hypothyroid.  Tests show that I'm negative for celiac and for gluten intolerance but I'm still going to try this because I am only really functional about 3 days in 7 at the moment.  The other days I manage but with a lot of pain and fatigue.  

Yes, to the probiotics.  I took them during all the antibiotics as well, timing it so that I took them 2 hours apart.  What actually made a difference in my sinus and throat infection was doing a saline nasal rinse with baby shampoo and white vinegar in it.  Extremely painful and not something I would suggest to anyone unless they had what I was finally diagnosed with - antibacterial resistant bacteria with a biofilm.  The shampoo and vinegar were necessary to break down the biofilm (basically a wetsuit that the bacteria made as a defense against the meds) so that the antibiotics could actually do their job.  

<snip>

Oh, goodness. That sounds horrible. I know what it feels like to mess up the saline solution in my neti pot. I can't imagine doing it with soap and vinegar. :(  I am glad it helped, though. Sheesh.

Yes, that's right- on a plate or bowl. I put them under beds.

I replace them about every third day.

You get used to your bedrooms smelling like a hamburger joint, lol!

Thanks, Jasperstone, for the tips and the linked article.

I'm doing Operation Onion tonight and through the weekend.

Maybe it will work, maybe it won't.

Definitely doesn't hurt to try, right? :D

I haven't told the boys b/c they're always teasing me.

They'll be asleep in another hour or so.

And then I'll put an onion under their beds, too LOL.

Interesting... I wonder why my vegan friend is always sick then? Maybe because she's a teacher and around germs all day long?

I think there's a perfect diet that would prevent illness and promote lifelong health and happiness. I don't believe milk is part of that equation, but I do believe that meat is. I don't believe that someone can be "always sick" unless something is wrong. I'm not suggesting anything serious, but I don't know any teachers who get sick more than anyone else. Her immune system should be able to compensate for her surroundings.

I got my flu shot last week, and I'm taking the kids this week.

When I "swish and swipe" my bathroom each day I include wiping down the sink, soap dispenser, light switch and door knob with a disinfecting wipe.  I also started trying to wipe down, with the Clorox wipes, all of the light switches, door knobs, phones, and remotes once a week.  

I have hand sanitizer in my van so that when I get gas, or have been in a store I can use it. 

Other than that I focus on trying to get enough rest and eating well.  

I should start taking Vit D, now that it's getting cooler out and I'm not outside as much,  but I'm terrible at remembering that kind of thing.  

I do eat a healthy diet, take supplements when I remember, and avoid the flu shot.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I was sick enough to require medication (other than a Benadryl for allergies after dusting, or an Advil for the occasional headache).

We DO do the flu shot---1 diabetic/heart attack, 2 special needs and 3 asthma here.

Other than that, the BEST thing we ever did for our immune systems was BUY HORSES.  Even our doctor commented that since we got horses our girls (tons of medical issues including immune deficiencies) have been super healthy.  They are now in public school but I think between the 2 of them they have only ever missed 1 or 2 days of school in the past 4 years.

The doctor said farm kids tend to be the healthiest.  They are exposed to dirt and germs on a regular basis and get lots of outdoor time....even in the worst of winter weather the chores must be done so outside we go.

Interesting... I wonder why my vegan friend is always sick then? Maybe because she's a teacher and around germs all day long?

Because it's n=1 ?

unless you compare a large sample of a variety of people following various dietary patterns, it's impossible to draw conclusions. Maybe if she were not vegan she would be even sicker, kwim?

While there isn't a lot of data on day to day viruses and infections, long term health data is a bit clearer.

"a vegan eating pattern has many potential health benefits. They include lower rates of obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer. Other benefits include lower blood cholesterol levels and a lower risk for gallstones and intestinal problems."

http://www.dietitians.ca/Nutrition-Resources-A-Z/Factsheets/Vegetarian/Eating-Guidelines-for-Vegans.aspx

Thanks, Jasperstone, for the tips and the linked article.

I'm doing Operation Onion tonight and through the weekend.

Maybe it will work, maybe it won't.

Definitely doesn't hurt to try, right? :D

I haven't told the boys b/c they're always teasing me.

They'll be asleep in another hour or so.

And then I'll put an onion under their beds, too LOL.

I have also heard to put an onion in a freshly painted room to absorb the fumes, so there just might be some truth in it all.

That's right, no harm done in trying. :laugh:

vitamin C and D (others too, but those seem key to me) and a good multi-vitamin with minerals

fresh air

mild exercise for me, significant exercise for dc

sleep (Uh, I better go to bed, speaking of!)

meditation at least when remembered

heathy food

try to limit sugar

keep warm

When there's viruses around we cut half an onion and place it in the bedrooms. Apparently, it draws it into in onion and stops others from getting it. I read that doing that stopped people getting the plague.

Considering the awesomely high death toll of the plague, I'm sticking to hand washing. Something they didn't know about then. 

I have also heard to put an onion in a freshly painted room to absorb the fumes, so there just might be some truth in it all.

That's right, no harm done in trying. :laugh:

There is harm in following pseudo science and superstitious cures when legitimate means are well known to be effective. As an educator responsible for the scientific literacy of your children, you might consider learning how bacteria and viruses work, the mechanics of disease, and then prevention of disease. This onion remedy is taken from a time when donkey piss was used as a cure for baldness. Why appeal to health care advice from a time in history when exorcism was a viable method of medical care and hygiene wasn't even a thought on the horizon? 

I'm also in the camp that believes that all the antibacterial wipes and gels and cleaners are actually working against our immune systems.  I don't use them.  I do wash my hands frequently with regular soap and wash my sink, counters, toilets, etc. with vinegar and Seventh Generation dish soap.

As for boosting my own immunity, I drink green smoothies, eat veggies I've fermented myself, drink kombucha, and have some raw, local honey from time to time.  I used to get sick all the time.  Since I quit smoking 12 years ago, stopped eating gluten 4 years ago, and have tried to limit dairy, I almost never get colds or flu.

My kids rarely get sick, either. They've had the flu once in their lives and maybe get a small cold every couple of years or so.