Menu

What's for dinner?

stephanier.1765

That's frustrating.  Is he ok?  Any prognosis on the car?   :grouphug:

You are so thoughtful to ask!  Thank you!

Nothing to worry us at all.  The other driver had veered into DH's lane, but of course does not admit it.  Our old van is scratched on the side, but probably nothing to call insurance about.  Now that it is daylight, we'll make sure.  The other man plans to call his own company, though, for what looks like very (!) minor damage, easily repairable at home.  Oh well. 

Thank you again!

It's either vegan hot dogs or, if I get the vegan tzatziki made in time, wraps with falafel.

Early dinner for me because I have to eat way ahead of exercise class tonight...

Would you please share the recipe (or link to it) for the vegan tzatziki, please?  I have to reduce my dairy intake substantially (aged cheese is okay, but I appear to be getting sensitive to fresh dairy), and I really like tzatziki.  TIA!

Edited to fix typos.  *sigh*

You are so thoughtful to ask!  Thank you!

Nothing to worry us at all.  The other driver had veered into DH's lane, but of course does not admit it.  Our old van is scratched on the side, but probably nothing to call insurance about.  Now that it is daylight, we'll make sure.  The other man plans to call his own company, though, for what looks like very (!) minor damage, easily repairable at home.  Oh well. 

Thank you again!

Glad to hear all is likely well.  If one HAS to have their quota of accidents for a lifetime, that seems like a decent one to make quota.

One does have to wonder why the other guy feels the need to involve insurance.  Perhaps he's new at this.

Would you please share the recipe (or link to it) for the vegan tzatziki, please? I have to reduce my dairy intake substantially (aged cheese is okay, but I appear to be getting sensitive to fresh dairy), and I really like tzatziki. TIA!

Edited to fix typos. *sigh*

http://greek.food.com/recipe/vegan-tzatziki-239629

So long as you put everything in and let it chill for a couple hours, it is excellent. I tried subbing lime for lemon once and that was a mistake....

I use one whole english unpeeled cuke.

Hope you try it and let me know how it works!

There's another recipe that's quite popular on the vegan boards which uses plain vegan yogurt but I've never made that one because my store usually only carries vanilla vegan yogurt and I've never bothered to drive around looking for it. But if you have that on hand, then essentially you just swap out regular yogurt....

My kids have colds and wanted chicken soup. I used my pressure cooker and went from raw, bone-in chicken to soup in about 45 minutes. I let the stock go for 10 minutes in the pressure cooker while I got carrots, onions, and celery chopped and sautéed in another pot. I opened the pressure cooker and pulled the meat from the bones. I tossed the bones and skin back in and let it cook for about 15 more minutes. I strained the stock (God forbid they know a mushroom was involved) and added it to the other pot along with the cooked chicken and noodles. Ten more minutes an we were eating the good stuff. I expected applause, but got none.

In my book...you're a rock star! :party:  :D

Glad to hear all is likely well.  If one HAS to have their quota of accidents for a lifetime, that seems like a decent one to make quota.

One does have to wonder why the other guy feels the need to involve insurance.  Perhaps he's new at this.

DH had not looked carefully, because it was after dark.  This morning we saw that the dent in our car is large, with a lot of the other car's paint colouring the hollow.  Reflection on our part hints strongly that the other driver collided with our car with the backside of his mirror; not that DH hit his car.  Damage to our car would have been of a different type, in the latter case.

Some people are crazily-intent on soaking insurance companies for all they can get.  I remember one time when high winds blew my driver-side door into the adjacent car.  The man leapt out of his car, yelling at me, and instantly took multiple cell phone photographs of my car from all sides.  In that he did not ask for my insurance information, and I most assuredly did not volunteer to provide it, there was no insurance company involvement.  I like our two cars as much as the next family likes their cars.  I am not, however, confusing my vehicle with a child or treasured pet.  A scratch is a scratch.  Big whoopie. 

Gumbo! Which is quite a production, let me tell you.

Yesterday a book I'd been waiting on came in the mail, so I just sat down and read while the girls made themselves oatmeal with waaaaaay too much maple syrup. I regret nothing*.

* This actually happened a while ago, but "yesterday" sounds better in the context of this thread. I still regret nothing, having had time to think it over.

http://greek.food.com/recipe/vegan-tzatziki-239629

So long as you put everything in and let it chill for a couple hours, it is excellent. I tried subbing lime for lemon once and that was a mistake....

I use one whole english unpeeled cuke.

Hope you try it and let me know how it works!

There's another recipe that's quite popular on the vegan boards which uses plain vegan yogurt but I've never made that one because my store usually only carries vanilla vegan yogurt and I've never bothered to drive around looking for it. But if you have that on hand, then essentially you just swap out regular yogurt....

Thank you!  I will look around for vegan yogurt to see what it is like.  I have seen some cultured coconut milk around (not sure if that's the same thing).  I'll have to put something else in for the tofu -- much as I like tofu, it turns out I also have to cut way back on my soy as well.

Thanks for the link!

DH had not looked carefully, because it was after dark.  This morning we saw that the dent in our car is large, with a lot of the other car's paint colouring the hollow.  Reflection on our part hints strongly that the other driver collided with our car with the backside of his mirror; not that DH hit his car.  Damage to our car would have been of a different type, in the latter case.

Some people are crazily-intent on soaking insurance companies for all they can get.  I remember one time when high winds blew my driver-side door into the adjacent car.  The man leapt out of his car, yelling at me, and instantly took multiple cell phone photographs of my car from all sides.  In that he did not ask for my insurance information, and I most assuredly did not volunteer to provide it, there was no insurance company involvement.  I like our two cars as much as the next family likes their cars.  I am not, however, confusing my vehicle with a child or treasured pet.  A scratch is a scratch.  Big whoopie. 

Sorry to hear the damage is worse.  Hope it is still fixable - and glad the trouble in the morning is with the van and not your dh!

We have a $1000 deductible on our insurance, so as long as our damage is less, I see no need to involve insurance - unless, of course, the other party insisted.

Tonight's supper?  Probably a boxed parm cheese pasta... it's another semi-mush night and hubby is getting tired of instant potatoes, yogurt, pudding, and applesauce.  When I make pasta here (non boxed) I put too much "other" stuff in it, so we'll do the bachelor variety.

Today I went to the store to stock up on things to send to college boys, but not once did I think of getting something that would make a nice "mush" supper.   :glare:

The good thing is we're using up some of our older camping food that was never used!

I forgot I had signed up to bring dinner to a family from scouts.

So they'll be eating the shredded chicken in my crockpot.

And the baked potatoes in my oven. With the yummy crispy skins.

And the baked potato bar toppings I was going to use tomorrow for the taco bar.

Sniffle.

It smells so good.

Soooooo. Freakin'. Goooooood.  :crying:

I have four sullen teen boys moping around the house.

And one happy daughter who hates crockpot meals LOL.

She and I did go to Mass this morning.

I bet she thinks her prayers did this!

(Maybe they did. I better keep an eye out for a pony in the driveway ...)

I'm deciding between pizza and Boston Market.

The coupon binder will be making that call.

Tonight is a smoked sausage, kale, and quinoa one-dish thing, baked sweet potatoes, honey sriracha roasted green beans, and apple crisp. Your basic pre-grocery trip hodgepodge meal.

ETA: The apple crisp is an attempt at getting someone to eat that half-empty ice cream in there. We shall see.

I am making dumplings now, also known as Chinese pot stickers. The filling is ground lamb, eggplant, dill, cabbage, garlic, ginger, green onions, five spices, sesame oil, salt, and soy sauce (liquid amino). The wrappers are made from homemade fresh ground wheat flour.

If you have any leftovers, please package carefully, with dry ice, and ship to us in Texas.   :001_smile:   Not only do those sound delicious, but I would be excited and grateful if you ever have time to post, or to PM, the recipe.

If you have any leftovers, please package carefully, with dry ice, and ship to us in Texas. :001_smile: Not only do those sound delicious, but I would be excited and grateful if you ever have time to post, or to PM, the recipe.

Filling for pot stickers is very flexible and versatile. You can throw in any veggies. I used to do the traditional kinds of filling, such as ground beef with celery, pork with Chinese flat leaf chives, any meat with half a pound of baby dill, pork with Chinese cabbage and Chinese mushroom (the brown color kind), etc. A few years ago I started to just put a mixture of veggies. The kind I do the most often is ground turkey with Chinese cabbage, one carrot to add some sweetness, half a crown (or more) broccoli and some regular cabbage. Since I have Chinese chives in my garden, I also do a mixture of pork with Chinese cabbage and chives. I don't have a recipe. I just eye measure everything, including salt, spices, and soy sauce. You can find a recipe as your base and experiment. Here is one you can use and adapt:

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/dimsumdumplings/r/jiaozi.htm

I never use bamboo shoots. As I said, you can substitute with carrot, broccoli, or eggplant, any veggie that is not too watery. In fact, when you use Napa cabbage (Chinese cabbage) and use processor to chop, you will need to squeeze some juice/liquid out. Otherwise the filling would be too wet and soupy. I never like store bought wrappers. Homemade fresh wrappers are a ton better than the frozen store ones. Hope you give it a try.

Pan fry them in a non stick pan or cast iron pan. Dip in apple cider vinegar mixed with soy sauce, fresh chopped raw garlic, and homemade hot pepper sauce. Mmmmm---

Orthodox6,

Usually we have leftovers. But today the boys both were hungry and loved the dill filling and we finished two big panfuls of fried dumplings. I have as much left already wrapped and frozen in the freezer for another meal. If you want to stretch your meat, dumplings are the best. We always get two meals out of the one pound of ground meat!

I am making dumplings now, also known as Chinese pot stickers. The filling is ground lamb, eggplant, dill, cabbage, garlic, ginger, green onions, five spices, sesame oil, salt, and soy sauce (liquid amino). The wrappers are made from homemade fresh ground wheat flour.

I wish I had read this in time to get to your place for supper!

. I don't have a recipe. I just eye measure everything, including salt, spices, and soy sauce. You can find a recipe as your base and experiment. Here is one you can use and adapt:

Rats.  You cook just as do I.  A recipe is just a springboard, and most is done via intuition of what will work well.

Nonetheless, I'm going to follow the link and also print out your suggestions.  Thank you immeasurably!

I like ground meat (over here ground turkey breast, 95% lean grass-fed beef, or 96% lean ground buffalo).  (Lamb occasionally, especially around Pascha in the spring.)  Many years ago (I forget how many) I was strongly taken by the concept of meat being an ingredient rather than a centerpiece.  (I do not eat meat, but I prepare it for my family.)  That mind-shift opened so many doors for cooking, I have really enjoyed the change.  

I confess that our menu for tonight was far from being completely "from scratch."  There are certain days of the week when I must take a child somewhere late in the afternoon, which leaves a much-reduced time frame for cooking dinner.  Today was one of those days.  So please bear with the lazy-mom's description!

2 boxes of Imagine Foods' "Red Bliss Potato and Roasted Garlic Soup."

10 ounces fresh baby spinach (organic, but don't take this as a lecture.  $ are $ and must be managed carefully for all families.)

1 cup minced onion (white or red; doesn't matter)

2 boxes (these are frozen) Applegate "Natural Chicken and Apple Breakfast Sausage"

olive oil, a little, as needed to keep the sausage from sticking

In a dutch oven (or whatever cooking pot you like), brown the sausage in a little olive oil.  (This brand comes cooked already, but the sausages need warming.)

Cut each sausage into three or four pieces. (your choice)

Add the boxes of soup.  As this is a "clingy" soup, add 1/4 cup water to the box after you have emptied it.  Replace the "lid" and shake to loosen soup remaining in the box.  Add this to the cooking pot.

Add the onion and the (washed again by you) spinach.  (Probably will need to add the spinach in two batches, letting the first one cook down before adding the second.)

If you are feeling extravagant, or just have some on hand that need to be used, add 8 ounces of sliced Baby Bella mushrooms.

No additional spices are needed, although freshly-ground black pepper added at the table is compatible.

Nor can I claim that I made the Naan.  It was packaged from the store, then warmed in the oven.  I do bake good bread, but am not yet skilled in many bread types.  (but hope to become so!)

Yesterday, when this thread started, I slept through dinner and dh made frozen pizza and artichoke hearts sauted with butter and garlic. 

Today is Homecoming and everyone had to leave shortly after 5 for the parade so I made grill cheese sandwiches and then had a huge apple crisp with oat topping ready for them when they got home from the bonfire. 

Orthodox6,

I love your expression that meat is an ingredient, not centerpiece, in Chinese dishes, meat is buried in veggies.

Chinese ask about American dishes, "Where are the vegetables?"

Americans ask about Chinese dishes, "Where is the meat?"

ETA: I happen to have organic baby spinach and all the other ingredients (whole potatoes only). I might as well make this potato soup tomorrow. I buy 16oz box of organic baby spinach for only $2.49. I have also boxes of organic baby kale for only $1 each. I am blessed to be able to shop at a discounted food store every two weeks after co-op Fridays. Organic pink lady apples are $.99/lb. I just got lots of nice organic plums also for $.99/lb.

Well, I was going to make pozole verde but this morning my niece and nephew asked to come over and I knew they wouldn't touch pozole so I pulled out some hamburger and made a pot of spaghetti sauce. I used the hamburger and some sausage to make meat balls. Garlic roasted broccoli on the side. Pretty good.

Tomorrow is Friday and that's homemade pizza night here. I'm going to carmelize some onions, sauté some mushroom and make my pizza with that and some leftover meatballs. We set out a bunch of toppings and let everyone make their own. I'll make a salad too.

Thank you!  I will look around for vegan yogurt to see what it is like.  I have seen some cultured coconut milk around (not sure if that's the same thing).  I'll have to put something else in for the tofu -- much as I like tofu, it turns out I also have to cut way back on my soy as well.

Thanks for the link!

You can try pureed soaked cashews or pureed white or cannellini beans as a base, perhaps with a splash of vinegar for tang. The texture isn't exactly right, but if you can add a bit of mayo (if you have one you like), it's close enough to fool my in laws, and that's saying a lot. 

Tonight is a smoked sausage, kale, and quinoa one-dish thing, baked sweet potatoes, honey sriracha roasted green beans, and apple crisp. Your basic pre-grocery trip hodgepodge meal.

ETA: The apple crisp is an attempt at getting someone to eat that half-empty ice cream in there. We shall see.

I would love some recipes! The quinoa dish as well and he green beans? Sounds delish!!

I would love some recipes! The quinoa dish as well and he green beans? Sounds delish!!

The quinoa dish: http://iowagirleats.com/2014/09/29/smoked-sausage-kale-and-cider-quinoa-skillet/

The only adjustments I made were regular sweet onions instead of shallots and ground sage instead of fresh. Oh, and added salt because I used homemade broth. It was fantastic, seriously the best quinoa dish I've ever made. I ate the leftovers for breakfast.

The green beans were an attempt to actually remember to prepare some of the frozen veggies aggregating in the freezer, and were about as good as you'd expect from rubbery frozen green beans. I'm going to try again with fresh ones and some recipe tweaking. I got the idea from a picture on Simply Recipes, but didn't use that recipe at all. I'm certain hers tastes better!

Orthodox6, my potato soup is cooking now! I used fresh potatoes, carrots, frozen corn, baby Bella mushrooms thanks to your rec, chicken breakfast sausages, onion, garlic, and chicken broth? It feels like there is too much meat! Other recipes call for cheddar cheese; do you put cheese?

ETA: I forget that I am going to put in baby spinach in th end. :-) The 6 sausages are 8oz but still feels like a lot.