Menu

Need *good* soup recipes

bobbeym

DH wants to start making more soups.  I've done lots of searches on google and pinterest but am overwhelmed with the options and have no idea what's good and what's not.  So will you please share your favorite links or personal recipes with me?

I especially need a good chicken soup w/ gnocchi or dumplings (I have chicken broth in the crockpot as I type), but would also like a good classic style tomato soup and whatever other varieties are good.

Lentil soup is in steady rotation here & the first dinner my ds learned to make as a really young kid :)

http://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/lentil-vegetable-soup/ - this recipe is pretty much like ours though I don't usually put potato in. You can also add pasta or gnocchi a bit before serving.

Oh & potato leek soup! Love this one too.

http://www.fettlevegan.com/recipes/potato-leek-soup

One of our favorites is a beef and veggie soup. First we make homemade broth, so we have to plan ahead a couple days and roast two chickens in the oven. Once the broth is made, there are three minor variations:

1. Brown some ground beef in the bottom of a stock pot with seasoning; add homemade broth plus veggies (we do garlic, onions, kale (we get a CSA box and usually have kale coming out of our ears in the winter), carrots, zucchini/summer squash, tomatoes, potatoes, or any variation thereof). Let it simmer until everything is all nicely cooked and serve with garlic toast or biscuits or such. Sometimes we'll omit the potatoes and instead scoop rice in the bottom of the bowl before pouring in the soup.

2. Instead of browning ground beef, if dh is in an adventurous mood, he'll make meatballs, brown them in the stock pot and then add the rest. 

3. Instead of using ground beef, we will buy stewing beef. Again, we brown it first, and this last time, we added a bit of Worcestershire sauce as the meat was cooking.

4. Last variation is to use chicken, usually chicken thighs. But we all tend to prefer it with some type of beef, especially since we just ate a bunch of chicken leading up to the making of the broth. ;)

The Best Soup in the World (Serves about 6)

Ingredients

2 tsp olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

4 cardamom pods, bruised

2 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp garam masala

½ tsp chilli powder (or to your taste)

6 curry leaves

2 large carrots, chopped

2 large potatoes, chopped

100g button mushrooms, chopped

1 litre vegetable stock

425g tin diced tomatoes

2 tbsp lemon juice

½ cup (125ml) coconut milk

½ cup frozen peas

Method

Heat oil in large pan, cook onions and cardamom, stirring until onion is browned lightly.

Add ground spices, curry leaves, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, stock and tinned tomatoes. Boil, then immediately simmer, uncovered for about 15 mins, or until vegies are tender.

Add juice and coconut mils, then simmer uncovered for 10 mins. Add peas and simmer for a further 3 mins. If possible, remove curry leaves and cardamom pods. Serve and receive compliments!

2nd Best Soup in the World (serves 4) 

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil

500g sausages cooked and sliced into 1 cm pieces

1 tsp crushed garlic

1 large onion, chopped

2 large potatoes, diced

425g tin crushed tomatoes

3 cups beef stock

1 tbsp oregano

1 tbsp basil

420g can kidney beans, drained

300g can butter beans, drained

¼ cup dry parsley

Method

Fry or grill sausages. Add oil to a saucepan and cook onion, garlic and potato for 4-5 mins over a moderate heat. Add the tinned tomatoes, stock, oregano and basil and simmer, covered for 15 mins.

Add the kidney beans, butter beans, sliced sausages and dried parsley. Simmer for 5 mins until heated through. Serve.

Lately I am into cooking low and slow to get everything out of those bones.

However, I confess that what I really did today was buy natural gelatin powder (I wanted to buy this one but accidentally bought this one, which is different) and made jello and fruit snacks from it - I decided that I really really want to get some collagen into the kids to fix their guts, LOL.

Check into the book "Ladled" by Kimi Harris if you are getting serious about soups.

Chicken Meatball Soup

10 cups homemade chicken stock

2.5 teaspoons sea salt (omit if you are using store bought chicken broth since it's already so salty)

4 oz / 113 g gluten free angel hair pasta or any pasta you like, even orzo or rice works

homemade meatballs* (either made from ground chicken or beef, whatever recipe you like)

Radish greens

* or sausages

Bring chicken stock to a boil

Put in pasta until or rice (if using rice, use precooked)

Add meatballs

Depending on type of pasta / rice, time it so the meatballs and pasta / rice will be done about the same time. This may necessitate putting the pasta in before the meatballs or vice versa.

When meatballs and pasta / rice are cooked, add greens and let simmer for another 2-3 minutes.

Then ladle it out with many blessings!

Our favorite is taco soup. We usually make it in the crock pot.

Desired amount of cooked ground beef

Small packaged of frozen corn

2 cans Drained and rinsed dark red kidney beans

2 cans diced tomatoes

2 packages of taco seasoning

Lg can of tomato sauce

Water to desired consistency

Mix, heat, serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips.

My favorite chicken soup is basically to make this soup…only using chicken instead of turkey.  http://www.bhg.com/recipe/poultry/turkey-frame-soup/  We usually modify it by sautéing chopped onion and celery in some olive oil or butter, before adding in the strained broth.  We almost always use either frozen mixed veggies or frozen peas and carrots for the vegetables.  If I need to, I'll buy some big chicken leg quarters or breasts to augment the meat.

One of my favorite quick bean soups is this recipe from Cooking Light.  It's quick, filling, and delicious.  http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/north-woods-bean-soup-10000000231620/

This is a really good tomato bisque recipe IMHO.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/roasted-tomato-bisque-recipe.html

I like Ina Garten's tomato soup recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-tomato-basil-soup-recipe.html

This is one of my favorite soups.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chicken_spinach_pesto_soup.html

This is basically how I make butternut squash soup.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/squash-soup-recipe.html

My family lives corn chowder, this is basically how I make it except I don't put sweet potatoes in mine and sometimes I add green chilies or cilantro.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Corn-Chowder-232298

All my recipes I make with dairy-free with subs but they are probably good with milk and cheese.

We love beef bourguignon in the winter

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Boeuf-Bourguignon-102144

I would sometime serve it on top of mashed potatoes.

Potato soup is a favorite here.

Chop potatoes into bite sized pieces and place in stock pot. Fill pot with water just to cover potatoes. Chop onion, carrot, and celery and add to pot along with a bay leaf or two. Simmer until vegetables are tender. Add evaporated milk (yea, just the canned kind) & water if necessary to thin down to soup consistency. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, (seasoned salt if you like). Sometimes we add corn or sausage or kale (or all of the above!) 

It would also be yummy with CHEEEEEESE!

Sorry it's not a more specific recipe. . .

We love soup here and are SO looking forward to soup season. These are the regulars in my rotation (in addition to the basic chicken vegetable soup I make with a leftover chicken frame):

Panera-style broccoli cheddar soup (I only use a tiny pinch of nutmeg). 

Creamy turkey/chicken soup (I make this with turkey and turkey broth after Thanksgiving, otherwise I use all chicken).

King Fu Panda's Zuppa Toscana (SO good! I make with milk or almond milk instead of cream, it's still amazing).

Rustic Shrimp Stew (This one can get pricy, so I cut back on the shrimp a bit and go a bit heavier on the veggies, but my whole family loves this one)

Potato cheddar soup (inexpensive and good for using up leftover ham)

This one is sorta fancy so I don't make it often, but it is really worth the work:

Creamy Scallop Chowder

HTH!

ETA: Fixed link.

We love soup here and are SO looking forward to soup season. These are the regulars in my rotation (in addition to the basic chicken vegetable soup I make with a leftover chicken frame):

Panera-style broccoli cheddar soup (I only use a tiny pinch of nutmeg).

Creamy turkey/chicken soup (I make this with turkey and turkey broth after Thanksgiving, otherwise I use all chicken).

King Fu Panda's Zuppa Toscana (SO good! I make with milk or almond milk instead of cream, it's still amazing).

Rustic Shrimp Stew (This one can get pricy, so I cut back on the shrimp a bit and go a bit heavier on the veggies, but my whole family loves this one)

Potato cheddar soup (inexpensive and good for using up leftover ham)

This one is sorta fancy so I don't make it often, but it is really worth the work:

Creamy Scallop Chowder

HTH!

My goodness, this post is like hitting a recipe jackpot. These recipes look scrumptious!

However, the link for KFP's zuppa isn't working. Just me, or maybe the link is off?

This link is broken. :(

Here's another link:

http://www.food.com/recipe/olive-garden-copycat-zuppa-toscana-38298

I use spicy sausage for more flavor

Tonight I made a really easy soup that went over well. I sautéed carrots, celery, and onions in olive oil. I sautéed some cut up chicken breasts with it. Then I added broth. I let it all cook about ten minutes then added tortellini and served when the tortellini was done. It was delicious and ready in about twenty minutes.

Here's another link:

http://www.food.com/recipe/olive-garden-copycat-zuppa-toscana-38298

I use spicy sausage for more flavor

Tonight I made a really easy soup that went over well. I sautéed carrots, celery, and onions in olive oil. I sautéed some cut up chicken breasts with it. Then I added broth. I let it all cook about ten minutes then added tortellini and served when the tortellini was done. It was delicious and ready in about twenty minutes.

Thanks! I only copied and pasted from the original thread, so I didn't want to copy and paste the recipe just in case. Didn't try the link before I pasted it, sorry!

So do I! We woke up freezing this morning, so now I'm definitely ready for soup :lol: Thanks for the Greek Lemon Chicken recipe, that's going to be my next selection--in fact, I may make it tonight! My people love creamy soups, but I've been trying to get away from dairy a bit. That may help, and the pictures look so amazing. 

Oh my gosh, these recipes look delish!   Can't wait to be able to read through all the links.   Broth has been simmering low and slow for about 36 hrs.  DH is in charge of seasoning it, but I know he tossed in some celery greens and green onions I had set aside in the fridge for that purpose.    He said he'll separate out the chicken today so I can make soup tomorrow.  :)

So do I! We woke up freezing this morning, so now I'm definitely ready for soup :lol: Thanks for the Greek Lemon Chicken recipe, that's going to be my next selection--in fact, I may make it tonight! My people love creamy soups, but I've been trying to get away from dairy a bit. That may help, and the pictures look so amazing. 

Have you tried using coconut milk?  A lot of the dairy-free recipes I've come across sub with coconut milk at an equal ratio.

We're wheat/soy free so I think I'm going to have to find a really good GF baking mix or figure out how to sub the wheat flour in some creamy soups with coconut flour.

This is my favorite soup ever! Anytime I make it for someone new, they rave! It has a few things that one might be inclined to leave out (Apple cider, zucchini ) but don't do it! It is perfect as is.

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/10/tortellini-sausage-soup/

This one is also a favorite. And it is easy and pretty cheap also.

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/09/creamy-corn-chowder/

The Best Soup in the World (Serves about 6)

Ingredients

2 tsp olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

4 cardamom pods, bruised

2 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp garam masala

½ tsp chilli powder (or to your taste)

6 curry leaves

2 large carrots, chopped

2 large potatoes, chopped

100g button mushrooms, chopped

1 litre vegetable stock

425g tin diced tomatoes

2 tbsp lemon juice

½ cup (125ml) coconut milk

½ cup frozen peas

Method

Heat oil in large pan, cook onions and cardamom, stirring until onion is browned lightly.

Add ground spices, curry leaves, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, stock and tinned tomatoes. Boil, then immediately simmer, uncovered for about 15 mins, or until vegies are tender.

Add juice and coconut mils, then simmer uncovered for 10 mins. Add peas and simmer for a further 3 mins. If possible, remove curry leaves and cardamom pods. Serve and receive compliments!

We are vegetarian and are very picky with soups, but this sounds fantastic. I am going to try it this week on one of dd''s swimming nights!

I am making this one tonight in the crock pot

4 cans (or 8 cups) chicken broth

1 cup chopped cooked chicken

1/2 onion, diced

1/2 c celery chopped

1 box of chicken flavored rice a roni

1 bag frozen carrots (I am using canned carrots and it works just fine)

Mix in crock pot and cook on low about 4-5 hours, high about 2 1/2 or so.  Less times makes for a more distinct rice while more times makes for a more creamy soup.

Have you tried using coconut milk?  A lot of the dairy-free recipes I've come across sub with coconut milk at an equal ratio.

We're wheat/soy free so I think I'm going to have to find a really good GF baking mix or figure out how to sub the wheat flour in some creamy soups with coconut flour.

You know, I've been using almond milk for so long that I can't recall! I feel like I did try it once or twice, but I don't remember how we felt about the results :lol: That's a good idea for some of the soups that rely on the extra fat for creaminess. I'll try it with the broccoli cheddar soup next time. Thanks!

As for wheat flour, I use organic corn starch or potato starch (typically half the amount of the flour called for). I've also used rice flour in some things, and that has worked just fine. The taste is ever so slightly different, but if the recipe is new to you anyway, no one will ever know  :thumbup1:

We are vegetarian and are very picky with soups, but this sounds fantastic. I am going to try it this week on one of dd''s swimming nights!

We're neither vegetarian nor picky and that soup sounds fantastic! Definitely adding to my Plan to Eat database.

Also, I forgot that I had this soup thread bookmarked--maybe more ideas here:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/489750-soup/

I don't know if this is standard advice or not, but FWIW, one thing that has upped the quality of my homemade chicken stock is adding mushrooms with the celery/carrots/onions/garlic. I just buy the crimini mushrooms/baby bellas from the grocery store and cut them into large chunks before adding them. They change the flavor in a heavenly sort of way, and the results are so good that we like keeping some in the fridge just to warm up as a quick savory beverage. 

I need to get on making more stock. We haven't been cooking inside much over the summer, so I haven't had a lot of bones to use for broth. Now that it's cool enough to start warming the house up again, I'd better start getting some stock put aside!

I am making this one tonight in the crock pot

4 cans (or 8 cups) chicken broth

1 cup chopped cooked chicken

1/2 onion, diced

1/2 c celery chopped

1 box of chicken flavored rice a roni

1 bag frozen carrots (I am using canned carrots and it works just fine)

Mix in crock pot and cook on low about 4-5 hours, high about 2 1/2 or so.  Less times makes for a more distinct rice while more times makes for a more creamy soup.

Oooh, this sounds really good.  But of course I can't have boxed rice a roni so I'll have to figure out how to make a homemade version of it first.  Food allergies completely suck sometimes.

As for wheat flour, I use organic corn starch or potato starch (typically half the amount of the flour called for). I've also used rice flour in some things, and that has worked just fine. The taste is ever so slightly different, but if the recipe is new to you anyway, no one will ever know  :thumbup1:

I keep meaning to buy some arrowroot to use as a thickener but it's not available at my local grocery store and I don't usually think to stop by the health food store on a Saturday to pick some up.  

Also, I forgot that I had this soup thread bookmarked--maybe more ideas here:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/489750-soup/

Thanks!  I'll check that link out too.

I don't know if this is standard advice or not, but FWIW, one thing that has upped the quality of my homemade chicken stock is adding mushrooms with the celery/carrots/onions/garlic. I just buy the crimini mushrooms/baby bellas from the grocery store and cut them into large chunks before adding them. They change the flavor in a heavenly sort of way, and the results are so good that we like keeping some in the fridge just to warm up as a quick savory beverage. 

DH would *love* stock made with mushrooms.  I can't stand them in any form and don't like anything made with them.  I swear I can taste them, even if I don't know it was in the food.  But now I'm worried that he put mushrooms in my stock b/c I know he has some at home that he bought this weekend for salads.

DH would *love* stock made with mushrooms.  I can't stand them in any form and don't like anything made with them.  I swear I can taste them, even if I don't know it was in the food.  But now I'm worried that he put mushrooms in my stock b/c I know he has some at home that he bought this weekend for salads.

:lol: I will say that my oldest DD also hates mushrooms, but she doesn't notice them in the stock. But my dislikes are tomatoes and onions, and I can taste them in everything, even if I don't mind them being there. So in that case, maybe no mushrooms for you then :D

I make this minestrone minus meat so my vegetarian dd can enjoy.

http://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/8173/more-with-less-cookbook-recipes

This green lentil soup is our preferred lentil soup.

http://kissmyspatula.com/2009/07/17/french-green-lentil-soup/

I make this minus the bouillon

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-barley-soup

Tomato soup is too easy

Tomato paste

Water, milk or both to desired consistency

Garlic powder, onion powder, tsp sugar -all to taste, none, or something else to taste

My people love creamy soups, but I've been trying to get away from dairy a bit. That may help, and the pictures look so amazing. 

we're vegan & I love creamy soups.

These tips are good: http://www.organicauthority.com/eco-chic-table/how-to-make-dairy-free-creamy-soups.html

This vegan cream of broccoli relies on a potato to add the creaminess. http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/vegan-cream-of-broccoli-soup#recipes-hdr

Also saving a bit of water from cooking potatoes or pasta & adding that in helps. Almond milk and coconut milk are more creamy than soy or rice but I tend to cook low fat so rarely use them. I'd rather have that in dessert than in soup :D

I make a variety of really yummy soups, based on what I have in the kitchen at the moment and on spice/herb change-ups.  But at the base of every good soup (if you ask me) is a good miripoix.  You can Google it and find recipes that work for you.  It's the base for every good soup. 

Also, we get one of those pre-broiled chickens about once a week and the bones *never* escape without being boiled in chicken broth with a couple of bay leaves thrown in.  And THAT gets stored in the freezer, if need be, with the addition of any other meat fond or water in which veggies have been cooked.  It makes a great soup foundation.  

1lb bulk sausage cooked
2-3 cloves of garlic cooked with sausage
diced purple onion cooked with sausage
2-3 stalks of celery chopped
I can of diced tomatoes
1 can of Cannellini beans
fresh spinach--I just use the 'bag 'o spinach'
box of chicken stock and equal amount of water
parmesan cheese

Cook sausage with chopped garlic and onion.  Pour stock and water in a soup pot and add celery.  When the celery starts to soften add all the other ingredients and simmer for 20 or so minutes and spinach is wilted.  Top w/shredded parmesan cheese

This is my favorite go-to soup.  It can be made vegetarian (with veggie stock), or with chicken stock (my preference)

Orzo Soup (serves 4)

1 tbsp vegetable oil

1 medium onion, chopped 

2 garlic cloves, pressed

1 can stewed tomatoes

4 cups veggie (or chicken stock)

2 tbsp sundried tomatoes in oil (chopped)

1 pinch crushed red pepper (or more, if you like things spicier)

1/2 cup orzo

1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

parmesan cheese (to garnish)

In a heavy saucepan or stockpot, saute oil, onion, and garlic until onion is tender and transluscent (about 4 minutes).  Add tomatoes, stock, and red pepper, bring to a boil.   Add orzo, cook 12 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.  Add beans, heat through (about 4 minutes).    Add salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle parmesan on each individual bowl.  Serve with salad and crusty bread.

Cosmos has posted this recipe previously Portuguese Sweet Potato, Sausage, Kale Soup. My husband used Sweet Italian pork sausage (instead of turkey), two cloves of garlic (instead of six), and less of the red pepper than was called for. He also used bouillon cubes since we forgot to buy the canned chicken broth when we shopped and fresh kale instead of frozen.

We serve it with fresh bread and butter.

Regards,
Kareni

I have a pinterest board dedicated to soup.  There's not a ton on it, but there are some REALLY good ones.  If it says *made this!* I really have, and that's really what I think of it.   :)

http://www.pinterest.com/kbee5/zooooop/

I hate that summer is ending, but I'm really looking forward to getting to make soup again!  That and leggings and boots ALMOST makes cold weather worth it... well not really.  :P

I especially need a good chicken soup w/ gnocchi or dumplings (I have chicken broth in the crockpot as I type)

Oo! I just adapted this basic chicken noodle soup into an Asian flavored chicken soup. Both are YUM!

Basic Chicken Noodle Soup:

- small purchased rotisserie chicken

- 3-4 carrots, peeled, sliced into thin rounds

- 2-3 celery sticks, sliced into 1/4" crescents

- 1-2 leeks, thinly sliced

- thyme, salt, pepper -- to taste

- 1/3 of a 12-oz bag of egg noodles

1. Remove chicken meat from bones, and store in fridge; place all the bones in a soup pot with about 6-8 cups water; simmer, covered for 2-3 hours, till a nice opaque broth has formed. Pour liquid through a strainer into a bowl; discard bones.

2. In a little olive oil in the bottom of soup pot, saute the vegetables till tender. Meanwhile, use about HALF of the cooked chicken; cut into bite-sized pieces -- save the rest for another recipe.

3. Add chicken and broth to pot. Add seasonings to taste. Return lid and allow to cook over low heat.

4. In a separate pot, bring water to a boil. Add egg noodles; cook till just tender. Drain. Just before serving soup, add noodles and heat through.

Asian Chicken Noodle Soup:

Same as above EXCEPT:

1. chop up 1 small baby bok choy and cook with the vegetables

2. omit the thyme -- instead, in a small bowl, stir together, and then add to soup:

- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce

- 2 tsp. sesame oil

- 1 to 2 tsp. chinese chili garlic sauce

3. when boiling the noodles, add 1-2 Tbsp. soy sauce to the water for added flavor; drain, but don't rinse, the cooked noodles

4. serve by putting a helping of noodles in the bottom of the bowl, then ladeling the soup on top

The Taco Soup recipe in the Dinner's Done, Cooking with Trader Joe's Cookbook is really good. (Lots of tasty and quick recipes in that book!)